September 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/30/09

A double dose of tragedy in the South Pacific. Another earthquake strikes.  Thousands of people are reportedly trapped. We'll take you inside the rescue effort.   Plus, a five-year-old takes on an alligator. A 40 pound boy versus an 800 pound gator. This kid isn't shy.

Want to know what else we're covering? <strong><a href="https://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dodie - California

@ Mike, Syracuse, NY

Being labeled as a snitch is not the problem. They can be killed for being a snitch. Everyone is living in fear!

September 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  2. Pam - San Diego, CA

@Mike – very true. I am from Illinois.

September 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Conflict resolution and self regulation skills are taught in early childhood. Another reason why quality early education is so important especially for at-risk children. It helps them learn ways to deal with anger and conflict that are more productive.

September 30, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  4. gail

I do not agree he was killed by his "peers." Peers means someone like you. That mob behaved like animals.

September 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  5. chris

prime of his life,he did not even gotten started

September 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  6. Dodie - California

Hope!

My heart goes out to you. I know how you must feel. I raised my son in the middle of a drug filled city. I worried every day and night!

September 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  7. Jana, Indiana

If the Chicago police can't protect their own citizens, how can they protect the visitors to t he Olympics?

September 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

We need to hold these parents responsible. The government is not a baby sitter and is not there to raise their kids. The problem lies with these parents and the kids themselves.

If kids are raised without morals or respect for themselves and others this is what you end up with.

September 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  9. Anthonia-Bay Area,California

@Dodie- I agree, califronia use to be the prime of all jobs, now its worst than ever before!

September 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  10. Fay - CA

Many of the kids in Chicago have little parental guidance and they don't value themselves or others–they don't think they have a future and there's a large sense of hopelessness–this is a too-common thing within the inner city.

September 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  11. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

The problem with continuing to throw tax dollars at the Chicago youth crime problem is that we're treating the symptoms. We're not dealing with the root(s) of the problem. You MUST look at the bigger picture, starting with sex education and people who have children who are not prepared to be parents.

September 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Mike, Syracuse, NY

It would help the police if those in these neighborhoods didn't stonewall investigations for fear of being labelled a snitch. There is a culture on noncooperation.

September 30, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Teresa, OH

Gary was too easy on the council woman.....

Would I be out of line to ask why the PARENTS cant help more?

September 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Minou, New York City

@ Erica: that is truly horrible and heartbreaking! I hope your friends are alright...

September 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Brian

How come those of us in the Pacific,US Terriorties of Guam and the Northern Marianas have to watch CNN Coverage of China.. CNN International prempted your show...when we are starving for information about the devastation on American Somoa, and the condition of our fellow Pacific US islanders? WHY?

September 30, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Pam - San Diego, CA

The cops are leaving Chicago because they dont want to get killed.

September 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  17. chris

we need disiplan

September 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Cessy, Chicago IL

Martial Law may do this city good but we all know that the juvenile detention here and other jails are already packed....where would we put them once they are picked up?

September 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  19. gail

@ Mike
    Bull, Race may not be the whole issue , but it is a part of it. It is used against the President now just as it was during the campaign . Make him the other , make him , "not one of us", make his desire to help the people that need help and get others that have more pay their fair share , and solve some of the problems that have been allowed to fester as somehow extreme. What's extreme are the lengths that the far right has gone to to portray this good honest and decent man as some sort of menace to society and a danger to children. What angers me the most is that rather than argue on the merits of a policy all the right can do is whisper in a large tone that does not go unnoticed is " did you know he's black." Yeah we know Mike and for some us it doesn't matter , but to some of the American people , unfortunately , it still does.

September 30, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  20. hope

i live in chicago, have a 18yr old son, honor roll student. Every day I am afraid for him. I am embarrassed and ashamed because of all of the violence. Olympics? with all of this mess?

September 30, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Kareen

How can Bill Bennet say that "it is the same as it was with President Bush"? I can't believe the horrible signs and comments that are made by these right wing people at the rallies!!! The worst that I saw about Bush was the "Mad Magazine" picture. There were lots of "impeach Bush" signs, but that is a lot different than the Hitler and witch doctor depictions that we see about President Obama. This aught to be banned and for God's sake think about how this appears to the rest of the world!! I believe in free speech, but that doesn't mean that we should tolerate this kind of garbage!

September 30, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Dodie - California

@ susan

I completely agree. Well at least those people will not have lay-offs! We are looking at furloughs for the first time ever!

Anderson. Both parents have to work these days. The children are raising themselves. They end up going to a gang who assumes their family. Very sad

September 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  23. ericacnn

hi, everyone.

sobering pix of samoa from friends... parents carrying their deceased children to a hospital chapel now being used as a morgue. beyond heartbreaking.

September 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  24. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Heather Spokane WA

I too remember those earthquakes. I was in Poulsbo, WA and i t was a rolling type of movement. I was in a rocking chair, and instead of going back and forth, i was going side to side. It made me nauseous.

I'm glad to have moved out of the area as it is overdue for a 9 earthquake!

September 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Monica M. Williams

Carvel's teaser regarding people unable to control their emotions is not an under-statement.

Have we mutilated the interpretation of "freedom of speech" to justify hateful speech and actions towards others?

Where are the boundaries? Look at the way we depict our president in protest. No one should be shocked our children have learned to have very little respect for life.

September 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  26. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Mike and JoAnn...there's nothing different with the negative rhetoric. It's all the same. The only thing that chanegs, from administration to administration, is the primary target. It's a wash.

September 30, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  27. bbaker

FYI Anderson, on the USGS website they show 2 big earthquakes in the that region in the LAST HOUR. Sorry about the caps, one is in the ocean, it looks like. Another Tsunami? Can you tell us?

September 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  28. chris

come on people our future is at stake!

September 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  29. Heather - Spokane, WA

The killings in Chicago is just crazy. When is that going to stop?

September 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  30. Pam - San Diego, CA

Big killing in Chicago. Nothing new there.

September 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

@ Casey, I've never even heard of an 8.3... wow!

September 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Arfraja-South Carolina

The violent rheoric is very dangerous and should be taken very seriously. There seems to be an increasing boldness when it comes to persons speaking negatively about our President in very public settings. I agree with Rep. Kennedy's statement in reguard to the rhetoric. News media should be very conscience about how they present their information, cause its getting people riled up in a disturbing way.

September 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  33. Cessy, Chicago IL

having lived in Manila for 16years, I"ve experienced those bad earthquakes and it is scary...

September 30, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  34. robert hubbard

omg Anderson... "Sexiling" has been around since my college days... Call it hanger on the door, or sock in front of the door... It happens and making rules against it will bring the issue to light but may do little to make an impact on the urges of the college student.

September 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  35. David, Indiana

@Isabel Yes, I'm sure people in the affected areas will need all kinds of help.

September 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  36. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Dodie – California...What about the retirement benefits of all the millions (of others) who have lost their jobs?

September 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  37. chris

take the money away,by taking control of the drugs.let people make there own decision,thy buy it

September 30, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Densil

sexile...its not new Anderson...its been around for at least 10 years... I'm just sayin' 🙂

September 30, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  39. John-Winnipeg, Manitoba. Canada

Another quake hit Indonesia! Wow...

September 30, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Dodie - California

I hope we do not bail out the car company. I would prefer give my tax dollars to secure their retirement benefits that they will be losing.

September 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Cessy, Chicago IL

Hello! everyone... my sister said the earthquake in Indonesia was 8.3? Oh my....

September 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  42. Minou, New York City

Saturn? That's a good killin'.

September 30, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Anderson,
    It is very horrible situation area so devastation..... I agree with you, It is very scary for people....... I hope they need help get donation, food, and water too.

September 30, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  44. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

I remember seeing Obama at a rally in Harrisburg and the heavy security, including sharpshooters on all the rooftops. It can't be ignored that he is our first African-American president and some people are enraged by this progress, but it also seems that we've beefed up security to keep him safe.

September 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

@Jane. I know,I could feel the fall creeping in this week...We have such bone chilling winters.

September 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Dodie - California

@ Mike, Syracuse, NY

Our unemployment is 12% right now in California. I have never seen it this bad... ever

September 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Jo Ann, I agree. The double standard of the left regarding legitimate protest is absolutely staggering.

September 30, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Jennifer

It's not about groups, republicans or democrats. It's about one crazy individual who is encouraged by an impression that their actions would be celebrated. Polls on whether you do or don't want the President dead are absolutely inappropriate, and to call it honest dissent is irresponsible.

September 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Jane - Vt

I don't understand what all the extreme policies are. President Obama has a big mess on his hands from years of neglect and congress has been catering to the corporations for years. He's been in office 8 months, what has he done that is so terrible?

September 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  50. David, Indiana

Well I guess it's "raw out there" as James Cariville is saying about public sentiment, but I was under the impression that congress, dems and republicans are managing to come together over HCR.

Another earthquake in Sumatra? Just horrible. I'm sorry I was a bit late today, how are efforts to rescue those caught in collapsed buildings in Samoa going?

September 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |