September 30th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/30/09

A double dose of tragedy in the South Pacific. Another earthquake strikes.  Thousands of people are reportedly trapped. We'll take you inside the rescue effort.   Plus, a five-year-old takes on an alligator. A 40 pound boy versus an 800 pound gator. This kid isn't shy.

Want to know what else we're covering? <strong><a href="https://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-buzz/&#034; target="_blank">Read EVENING BUZZ</a></strong>

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&amp;*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dodie - California

@ Mike, Syracuse, NY

Pres Obama walked into a Huge Mess! Nothing has been seen like this since the 1930s!

September 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  2. starr, formerly known as vincent

I think Bill Bennet is wrong. When you see women crying about the Pres. making a speech to school children, outrageous behaviors at town meetings, rantings by Rush Limbaugh, and so on. Not one Republican is objecting to the things that are being said.

I think that the Rhetoric has gotten completely out of control. The behavior of a Representatie of House is another example of disrepect towards the President.

Words matter. I have yet to see Any conservative or Repblican try to present rational responses to any of the negative and crazy Rhetoric out there.

September 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  3. Vince

It's unfortunate how nature's worst side always hits our poorest parts of the world. However, it makes us realize how fortunate some of us are and remind us never to stop reaching out to those less fortunate in the near and far corners of our world.

September 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  4. susan

I agree with Mr Carville that President Obama is in danger from the right wing where there is so much anger over losing the white house and bigotry against a black president. Their real true colors are showing and talk of treason and comparisons of Obama with Hitler should all be investigated by the CIA and FBI. These are domestic terrorists and much more dangerous than Taliban. They are American Taliban.

September 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Paula

Katrina survivor but Mother Nature gave us the option of escape whereas these poor people had no choice.

September 30, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  6. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I'd take Bill Clinton, even with his right wing conspiracy paranoia, over Obama in a heartbeat.

September 30, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Minou, New York City

Jesus! Another quake hit them just now??

September 30, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Sarah, AZ

How many times can you equate Obama to Hitler before some nut job with a gun starts thinking that it's alright to kill him? This is not a game and, unfortunately, those with both the power and responsibility to stop this are doing nothing.

September 30, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  9. gail

Yes Anderson the President is at risk. Threats against the President are up 400%. Thomas Friedman is no "nut job" and for Michael Steele to try to dismiss this when he has lived through the assassinations of John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King, and Robert Kennedy. If anything happens to this President , God help us all. Also, it only takes one , crazy, unbalanced person to do something horrific. Fomenting hate and dehumanizing this man to make it ok to call him Hitler, Stalin, and in the case on Rep. Trent Franks" an enemy of humanity" will lead to violence!

September 30, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Heather – Spokane, WA,
    Yes, I remember that time I had felt earthquake on Feb 28, 2001 and May 2, 1996........ I have really experience my life look like waves and move round.

September 30, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Kathy Chicago

I think that people are just fed up with Washington in general, Rep and Dem. They have combined to run the country into debt, fill their own pockets and then tell us what we need to do to fix it. Obama is no better or worse than all of the others, it is just more in the news. I don't trust any of them.

September 30, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ David, Indiana

This week the nature is angry. I pray that people can re-establish itself and to those who have lost someone that they have forces! It is very sad when the nature of overlap and there is so much chaos. I hope that people can restore their lives.

September 30, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  13. Dodie - California

The Anger is building in this country against Obama. I am really worried for his safety! I am also worried for his family too!!!

September 30, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Pam - San Diego, CA

What those poor people are going through. My God.

September 30, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Dodie, this President is proposing more extreme policies than any in my lifetime, so it's getting an more extreme reaction than most. Race isn't the issue. Bill Bennet had a good point.

September 30, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Fay - CA

There is a lot of denial out there about the atmosphere in the country since President Obama was elected – conservatives have not spoken out stronger against some of the more disturbing elements within their party who are stirring up so much anger.

September 30, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Jane - Vt

@ Gayle I'm shivering here tonight

September 30, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Stacy Mycorn

Mr. Cooper.
    Watch you, and CNN all the time. But why on earth would you put te picture of our Commander in Chief on the screen, with the Hitleresk mustache????? NO GOOD

September 30, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  19. Dodie - California

I think these two are minimizing the danger towards Obama...

September 30, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Patrick Kennedy's remarks are irresponsible. They are just another ploy to try to keep people from opposing Obama's policies.

September 30, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  21. Pam - San Diego, CA

I was sleeping in bed a few years ago and one hit in another town but the shock was felt in my town. It was something else. Something I will never forget.

September 30, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  22. Zsu Zsu

I am always sad to hear about earthquakes around the world. Having lived in Los Angeles most of my life, I know how frightening and destructive they can be. It always reminds me how fragile our lives are on this moving earth!

September 30, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  23. christaniel

this is very sad I want everybody to pray for these people

September 30, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  24. andersoncnn

evening everyone.. thanks for joining us... another quake just hit indonesia..

September 30, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The angry tone now is no different than the rhetoric from the far left against Bush. The only difference is that the MSM are picking out very selective instances to report on.

September 30, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  26. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! Glad to live in the NorthEast where the chance of an earthquake that devastating is rare.

September 30, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  27. Dodie - California

There seems to be more rage against this president than any other president in my lifetime and I suspect it could also have to do with his race!

September 30, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  28. Jane - Vt

They are dangerously raw politics Anderson.

September 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  29. Heather - Spokane, WA

I remember the last earthquake I was in, which was the 5 point earthquake that Seattle had back in 1999, and that was scary enough not just being in it but seeing the immense damage it did within the 5 minutes it went on and how it brought Seattle down in elevation. It scares me to think that its possible for something like the one that happened in Indonesia to happen here in the U.S

September 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  30. Dodie - California

Yes, I am very worried about Pres. Obama's safety! There seems to be very angry people who could be potentially dangerous to Pres. Obama. I hope he has a lot of secret service around him at all time and with his family.

September 30, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  31. christaniel

my prayers go with them

September 30, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  32. Pam - San Diego, CA

Those quakes are bad. The scare the heck out of me.

September 30, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  33. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Looked terrible there in the western Pacific, esp the impact of the tsunami on Samoa, very unnerving to see people in Indonesia seek shelter after the quake there. Phillipines and Viet Nam too have both been hit by typhoon Ketsana too. Int'l Red Cross undoubtedly needs donations.

September 30, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  34. starr, formerly known as vincent

Certainly, our (family & friends) thoughts and prayers are with all of the people affected by both earthquakes and the tsunamis.

September 30, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  35. gail

@ Anderson
    Please do not show that picture of President Obama with a Hitler mustache even as an illustration. It is an image that has no place , period.

September 30, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  36. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    The earthquake reports are alarming. I hope the people there are or will receive more assistance in their recovery effort–as the situation becomes more difficult.

September 30, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  37. Dulcie - Denver

Good evening Anderson, Erica and bloggers.

These quakes are quite frightening. How strange for them to happen so close together. Thanks for bringing us this story. I've tried to keep up with it all day.

September 30, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  38. Cynthia, NC

Good evening. My thoughts and prayers go out to those in the South Pacific affected by the earthquake and tsunami. Such tragic images…….brings back the memories of the 2004 tsunami.

September 30, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  39. Kathy Chicago

Mother Nature has reared her fury. I was just thinking how lucky we've been with no hurricanes. My thoughts and prayers are with those suffering.

September 30, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  40. Pam - San Diego, CA

Hello everyone!

September 30, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  41. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good evening, Anderson! Hello David ((Indiana), friends and bloggers!

September 30, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  42. Dodie - California

Good Evening

Very sad about this news

September 30, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  43. starr, Santa Fe

Hello Anderson, Erica & entire Team 360.
    Good evening fellow bloggers.

The two earthquakes so close in time and area is deeply concerning.

September 30, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  44. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Hello Anderson.

September 30, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes Heather,
    That is so scary earthquake, I had drill at home and school, how to evacute and keep away from windows, poles, everywhere.

September 30, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  46. John-Winnipeg, Manitoba. Canada

Hiya Anderson and Erica. How are you doing tonight? The devastation in the Philippines, Somoa and Indonesia is horrible.

September 30, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Kathy

Looking forward to the show tonight. Hi everyone!

September 30, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Jane - Vt

Good evening everybody

September 30, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    My heart goes to pacific ocean struck both area Samoan and Indonesia!!! My thoughts and prayer with them!! Please help for donation both area.

September 30, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone. That 8 point earthquake is scary, tells you that mother nature is very peeved.

September 30, 2009 at 10:00 pm |