September 29th, 2009

Suspect admits role in beating death of Chicago teen

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/CRIME/09/28/chicago.teen.beating/art.derrion.suspects.3.cpd.jpg caption="Eugene Riley, left, Silvanus Shannon, middle, and Eugene Bailey were charged with murder."]

Mallory Simon
CNN

One of the suspects accused of killing an honor student in a beating captured on tape in Chicago has admitted to jumping on the victim's head after he was already lying on the ground, said a spokeswoman for the Cook County State's Attorney.

In the videotaped confession, 19-year-old Silvanus Shannon also said that the victim, Derrion Albert, never struck him, said the spokeswoman, Tandra Simonton.

Three teens arrested in Albert's death - Silvanus Shannon, 19; Eric Carson, 16; and Eugene Riley, 18 - were seen on the videotape attacking Albert, and were charged with first degree murder and held without bail, Simonton said. Monday night authorities said they charged a fourth suspect, 17-year-old Eugene Bailey, with murder.

On Monday during the bond hearing, prosecutors described how the street fight escalated from a dispute between two factions at Albert's high school to a beating that left the honor student dead.

Keep Reading...

Filed under: Crime & Punishment
  1. Sam

A brutal murder like this should mean those responsible never be allowed in civilian life again. Ever. Ever. Ever.

September 29, 2009 at 5:30 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Larry, I agree. If 4 white kids had done this Shapton and Jackson would have been all over it. I guess murder is OK as long as it's black on black crime.

September 29, 2009 at 4:27 pm |
  3. jowee

These are stories that need more indepth coverage by the media–what is the root of this senseless hatred? This-instead of airing tapes on Michael's take on Madonna 10 years ago...

September 29, 2009 at 3:08 pm |
  4. Larry

Have Revs Jackson & Sharpton started their marches?

September 29, 2009 at 2:54 pm |
  5. Mike Borrelli, Clearwater, Fl

This is an example of animal instincts that some humans cannot
    suppress. You see it almost everyday happening somewhere.
    I heard someone ask , when will it stop ? Quite simply , it will
    never stop until mankind no longer exist. My heart goes out to
    the victims family and friends and to all those who will be
    effected in the future by this senseless killing of innocent people.
    No parental guidance is a big factor here. There seems to be no value on human life nowadays. If this is the way these people
    insist on acting in our society, they do not belong here.

September 29, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  6. Victoria alameda

I am speechless saddened and terrorfide for the youth of this world. We the parents adults teachers family and community have failed. Our most precious gifts our children The mind set that alows kids to gang kill is a society problem.

V

September 29, 2009 at 1:47 pm |
  7. alex lyrics

If the parets are missing in action, then perhaps we need to bring back prayer, and paddling in schools.

At least then we didn't have shootings in classes and this type of senseless killing of out children.

When we had the paddle hanging in the classrooms and prayer in class, we didn't have this.

We didn't have violent video games either. The teachers were the parents.

It is time we all get involved, teachers, parents, students, grandparents and all.

This snitching and not reporting things to the police that ganster rappers talk of is bull.

People use to care about thir neighbors, and their children.

Whether we African Americans like it or not, BILL COSBY was right.
    We use to look out for eachother, and report things to parents in our culture.

Now we have total disregaurd for one another.

Read Bill Cosby's book if you want true answers to this problem.

September 29, 2009 at 1:37 pm |
  8. Amazing

Yeah, let's bring the Olympics to the nice city of Chicago!!

September 29, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  9. Jeanette

The violence in our youth is getting more horrible all the time. Do they still have the nerve to claim that all the violence on TV and the movies has no effect on the youth of our country. It has made murder and violence OK to do. Parents need to curtail what their kids watch. I know its not easy, but some people seem to be able to do it. The movie industry and TV are much to blame for our problems.

How sad for these families.

September 29, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  10. Winston Roy Ottawa, On Canada

There are no words to describe how I feel about this violent act!
    I offer my sympathy and prayers to the family of the victim.
    Rest in peace Derrion Albert

September 29, 2009 at 12:14 pm |
  11. Claudia, Houston, Tx

These names should be displayed on a bill board in Chicago along with the words "Prison for Life" for the murder of Derrion Albert for all parents and their children to see as a reminder to them all.

September 29, 2009 at 12:13 pm |
  12. Catherine

This is incredibly sad. Derrion Albert had so much potential, it is very wrong to see his precious life ended far too early. There is something seriously wrong here, this unjustified anger and violence is scary. My deepest sympathy on this unexpected loss.

September 29, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  13. Winston Roy Ottawa, On Canada

There are no words to describe how I feel about this violent act!
    I offer my sympathy and prayers to the family of the victim.

September 29, 2009 at 12:00 pm |
  14. Suspect admits role in beating death of Chicago teen

This is pure evil! It is always the good kid, student, son, brother, or sister who gets killed by the evil ones who are doing the work of the devil himself! You have my condolences for the family, and my prayers.

September 29, 2009 at 11:59 am |
  15. S. Manns

As a black man in my 40's now, it breaks my heart to think that young men and women are capable of doing such a thing to another human being. The problem is in the homes of these people. parents are leaving parenting up to someone else but when punishments are being handed down then they want to say their child is being mistreated. You can't have it both ways. Don't blame it on the economy because my mother raise 3 children on nothing. There were times there was not enough food but we did not become violent and go out robbing, killing and acting out. I don't have children due to being afraid my child would be killed by someone that has no guidance or fear of consequences. TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR KIDS PEOPLE, STOP LETTING SOCIETY RACE THEM!!!

September 29, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  16. Wendy Williams

Senseless violence. Not only is the family of the victim experiencing a loss, the families of the suspects are demolished as well. I will pray for them all.

September 29, 2009 at 11:43 am |
  17. JD

This is heart breaking ... sending condolence and prayers to his family, friends and to this young angel .... They will not be forgotten and will remain in my prayers ... He will always have a memorial in my heart no matter what anyone does ..
    I've heard that those who hurt him will be tried as adults and I believe they shoul be ...
    It is his family that I will continue to remember as they have to live with this loss. I remember in Katrina some one named Harvey Jackson told a tv reporter how his wife had been swept from his arms in the flood ... I wondered what could I then or ever do to help Mr Jackson in his life without her then or ever ... (after the news cameras leave) ... Likewise I will always remember Derrion Albert and his family ... I am praying for them

September 29, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  18. joseph

this is a terrible thing. They had no reason to hurt him much less murder him. they should stay locked up for awhile

September 29, 2009 at 11:09 am |