September 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/29/09

We've got the raw politics of the today's health care reform vote on Capitol Hill. Democrats battle Democrats. Is the fight doomed? Plus, a father's fight. He goes to Japan to get his kidnapped children back and he ends up in jail. And, an earthquake hits near American Samoa prompting tsunami warnings and advisories - even along the U.S. west coast.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

New York is really an interesting city ... Lol ...

September 29, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Emily

OMG... good thing I ate some time ago! YUCK!

September 29, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  3. Danielle - Long Beach,CA

I am so sick of Kate. I would rather watch a show called Jon minus 9.

September 29, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  4. MacBernac

I have just terminated my account at CareerBuilder. Shame on them for being part of the Arthur Group and other "job" scams. Most of the responses to my job alert agents @ CareerBuilder have been for selling DISH network subscriptions at home!

September 29, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Richard

Good evening Anderson,
    I was watching you tonight talk about the story of the dad who was arrested in japan. I was touched when you mentioned the men who have grown up without there dad. It's an issue that does not get enough attention. When I found out that who i was told was my real da wasn't (at the age of twelve), i lost something inside. Ever since then i have wanted nothing more than to be a dad. Now at 25, I have a 9 month year old daughter.The best thing that has ever happened to me. She's my best friend and you can quess what her first word was "dadadada"When i walk into the room, she just lights up.I'm glad my dad had a drug problem cause not only did i not need that growing up, but it has made me a stronger person(father). I love my daughter (hannah leigh bisson) with unconditional love. Theres nothing she can do that would ever disappoint me. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Final thought: No one should have to grow up without at least giving there parents a chance to be in your live. But in my case my mother still wont talk to me about it. keep it real Rich

September 29, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  6. lisal -canada

CNN app sounds cool ... too bad i don't have an ipone!!

September 29, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  7. Lori

I had two head hunters ask me for money. Both were turned down.

September 29, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  8. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

CNN, do one for BlackBerry

September 29, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  9. Octavia - Baltimore, MD

Never trust the internet... that's all I have to say.

September 29, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  10. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Wow, this Arthur Group story is scary. Both of my brothers are out of work right now, I believe both have used head hunters in the past. I'll need to check with them on stuff like this. Although no head hunters have ever asked them for money, maybe that's a red flag.

September 29, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Mio - Japan

I haven't heard this news here in Japan.
    Japan is the very country that is suffering from abduction issue. (many people are said to have been abducted by North Korea.) This is something we shouldn't do. I think the father did the right thing but how he did was not wise. I believe he will be released before long.

September 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Lori

Taking money from an unemployed person is like kicking someone who is down. It is dispicable.

September 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Sabrina in Los Angeles

I feel so sad for the children.

They are with dad because mom has issues...now he is the one being held as the criminal.

I hope the mom gets it for harming the children.

The children have a father who loves them and a step mom as well...this biological mother is evil for this.

September 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse, NY

These guys should know better. Executive recruiters work for the company either on retainer or commission, not the person looking for a job.

September 29, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Cheryl K. Sask Canada

This is really a sad story regarding the dad being arrested in Japan. The children are certainly confused. Hopefully Christopher is released soon and can see the children. A good interview and information from the lawyer.

September 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Emily

re Drew's story: If it sounds too good to be true...

September 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Lori from IL

This custody case is so sad. It's often unusual for a father to be given custody of the children, in a divorce case sutody usually goes to the mother unless there are extenuating circumstances. Do we know why custody was given to the father? Are the children in danger?

September 29, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  18. Lori

I was approached by a recruiting company to help me with a job search. I was so tempted and wanted to believe that by paying a fee I could get my dream job easily. It just did not make sense and I am so glad I did not fall for it.

September 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  19. James Hussher

Japan was a signatory to the Hague Convention measure that makes international parental child kidnapping a serious crime, as this man's wife did. The father's actions were remedial, not criminal and I am sure he will be released and allowed to return to the USA with his children, and Japan will bow to international pressure and prosecute the mother as well. This will all work out.

September 29, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh boy!!! Not good news for me to hear American dad kidnapped kids and landed in jail or arrest by Japan police...... I hope that he will bring them (kids) home right away....... I am praying so hard for him come home safe.

September 29, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  21. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Wow, being stuck on a suspension bridge cable is a recurring nightmare.

September 29, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Emily

Very strange laws in Japan ... I feel sorry for the children.

September 29, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  23. Anthonia-Bay Area,California

I hope cnn apps can come in Tmobile version!!

September 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  24. Octavia - Baltimore, MD

Wow... that guy on the bridge... that makes Ohio exciting 🙂

September 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  25. Emily

@ Mike, Syracuse, NY...
    Charlie Chaplin got Lillita "Lita" Grey pregnant @age 12yrs & married her when she was 16yrs in 1924 when she was 16 and he was 35.
    Hollywood has a long history of this. However, Polanski is the one that bolted when he was changed and plead guilty.

September 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Dwayne

Anderson, everyother pedofile gets his day in court, then does is time and is labeled a sex offender. Why other than money and power is Mr Polanski any different. I believe of boycott of Hollywood should they persist in their defense of this pedofile who needs to do his time and more (since he was a fugitive). They are all cowards who hide behind money and are not held accountable like everyone else. It is time for this to stop. No one is above the law!

September 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Charlie from Thailand

Besides his guilty plea for being a self-proclaimed paedophile, Polanski is also facing Federal charges for Unlawful Flight to avoid Confinement. Bring him back and lock him up regardless of what Debra Winger thinks.

September 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  28. James Hussher

Polanski could have gotten this issue out of the way a long time ago but he chose to flee rather than work it out. This is not traffic tickets, it is child molestation and rape. Sorry, Hollywood, we can't just let this all go away just because Polanski successfully evaded his actions' consequences for 30 years. He thumbed his nose at our justice system. He never would have returned until his death but for his recent apprehension. The authorities are not "wrong" or acting suspiciously by not having arrested him earlier and I am sure it is not for lack of effort; he deliberately avoided capture. Just because he owns a home in Switzerland and they did not arrest him earlier does not mean the authorities have forfeited any right to arrest him now. He may have owned a home but I am sure he snuck in and out of there, he just finally got a little too public with his movements and we got him now.

September 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The law in Japan is bizarre.

September 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  30. Lori

The kids need both parents. It is not fair to the kids and it is selfish of both parents. Absence of a father is a significance loss.

September 29, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  31. starr, formerly known as vncent

This story about the father in Japan is truly tragic.

From all that i have heard, no American child has Ever been returned from Japan, ever.

Japan is a close ally with America. I cannot accept that some type of agreement cannot be worked out. The father was given custody of his children for a reason. The wife would be prosecuted here. I can't believe that Japan protects parents who are in clear violation of American law.

The entire situation for him and other parents in the same situation is just plain Wrong.The children are the victims, they need their father.

September 29, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  32. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

this poor guy. in a world where too many men abandon their children, it's good to see a man fight for his kids and it's a horrible thing to see him sit in jail. I hope Japan doesn't decide to make some example out of him.

September 29, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  33. Heather - Spokane, WA

Why is it that America is more than willing to extradite criminals from other countries back to their countries but other countries are not willing to help us? First the man trying to get his son back to the U.S from Brazil and now this guy.

September 29, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Jo in San Jose

You know, this guy broke the law in the country he was in. Why all the sympathy for him?

September 29, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  35. Danielle - Long Beach,CA

This custody story is very sad. If the father had custody how did the mother get them out of the country? She would have to have their passports right? I wonder if the children have dual citizenship.

September 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  36. Mary

You have got to be kidding! Why is everyone running to the aid of Polanski. He committed a gross crime and has gotten away with it long enough. I don't care what kind of movies he has made or how old he is – he is a criminal. He needs to do the time.

September 29, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Cessy, Chicago IL

Prayers for the American father...

September 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Lori

The mother did not have the right to take the kids to Japan. The father should not have taken the kids either. This should be a warning to any American who marries a national from a foreign country.

September 29, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  39. Nancy

This case reminds me of the David Goldman's situation of his ex wife taking son Sean to Brazil. Maybe Isabel knows the latest about David getting his son back?

September 29, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Mike, Syracuse, NY, It isn't only the Hollywood celebs who are morally bankrupt. The rich and famous in general are.

September 29, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I do love iphone to indoucted CNN!!!!!! It is so awesome I-phone!!!!! I need to buy this! Can't wait for to buy I-phone.

September 29, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  42. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

i guess they will make a cnn app for the rest of us non-iphone users someday.

September 29, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  43. Karen Gonyea MN

I feel for the woman who was raped 30 years ago. I hope she has found a way to heal her heart. I think are focus should be on prevention of such crimes and how to help the victims.

September 29, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Cessy, Chicago IL

CNN on iphone...scary...good thing i dont have an iphone or I wont get anything done

September 29, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  45. Ryan

Jeff Tubin is my hero! When is he going to get his own show? Oh and hi Anderson and Erica!

September 29, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  46. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Erica
    Amazing… I want in my iPhone!

September 29, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  47. niwat, chicago

Please please quickly have CNN app comes in BB version, I gave up apple for blackberry–

September 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  48. Leo

Anderson ...time to get an Iphone.. you're too cool to not have one 😉

September 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  49. Jennifer

I love you guys. Yeah for the iphone app!! Cnn, keep up the good work!

September 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  50. nicole l

i may have to think about the cnn app for my iphone for only $1.99 can't really complain...i am paying $14.00 with my cable provider just to watch u Anderson...

September 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |