September 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/29/09

We've got the raw politics of the today's health care reform vote on Capitol Hill. Democrats battle Democrats. Is the fight doomed? Plus, a father's fight. He goes to Japan to get his kidnapped children back and he ends up in jail. And, an earthquake hits near American Samoa prompting tsunami warnings and advisories - even along the U.S. west coast.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@Minou, New York City

I suggest an iPhone ... 🙂

September 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Isabel Siaba, Brazil,
    Yes, It is very indeed sad for people in Samoan really so awful struck earthquake/Tsunami..... My heart goes to them too...... My thoughts and prayers with them who lost love ones, 😦

September 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  3. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yell, that's cool. Now throw in the iphone.

September 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Robert, I agree. Hollywood has shown themselves morally bankrupt...again.

September 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think Roman Polansky should be arrested and prosecuted for fleeing during his case. Letting him go isnt the right thing, he needs to be taught a lesson and show people that you cannot get away with doing something like that even if you make millions.

September 29, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  6. JAMIE

Polanski did the crime, he needs to serve the time. It's as simple as that!

September 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Lori from IL

@ Erica & Anderson -

How about a CNN "app" for Blackberries?

September 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  8. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@!Anderson
    On your blackberry doesn"t have CNN App! Lol ... 🙂

September 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Emily

roman should be back and in bars!!!
    what is the problem here?
    he entered a guilty plea (to a lesser charge), and the fact that he ran, that is yet another crime!

September 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Jo in San Jose

Polanski is a fugitive. It's a shame it took this long to catch him.

September 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Cessy, Chicago IL

say that again, Anderson! $1.99??? .... THAT should be the shot of the night! Very funny!

September 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Nancy

Polanski drugged and raped a 13 yr. old !! Does it matter if it was 30 mins. ago or 30 yrs.? I think he should consider himself lucky that he got 30 yrs. of freedom that he was not entitled to. If he was poor he could not have fled and he would have been in prison where pedophiles belong.

September 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  13. CURTIS

Isn't it a little much to be prmoting AT&T and the iPhone, which is what you're doing whether you realize it or not (or whether you say it or not)?

September 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Why was any deal offered in the first place? It sounds like there was plenty of evidence to convict him.

September 29, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Sabrina in Los Angeles

If you do the crime, be prepared to do the time...and not skip out on your sentencing.

You have to follow through or it will catch up to you later in life.

September 29, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Emma

The hearings re Polanski involve legal issues, not facts. There is not reason Polanski needs to be physically present - unless and until he may be required to stand for a new trial. Why doesn't the media report the exact terms of the plea bargain (a contract) so that the public can have more informatiion to learn whether he actually did complete his end of the deal or actually "fled" and has been a fugitive.

September 29, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Ashley H, Canada

How did Polanski escape prosecution for thirty, thirty some years? Ugh, our justice systems, both American and Canadian, have so many flaws...

September 29, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Saera El Paso, TX

haaaaaaaa
    shameless plug

September 29, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Erick

Is the Roman Polanski issue even debatable? I got a case out on me. If I wait long enough, will it go away?

September 29, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Mike Armstrong TX.

Wheres the gizmo to hook it up to your big screen

September 29, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  21. alopezt6m

Polanski should be in jail with all the other convicted child molesters, rich and fame does not mean above the law!!

September 29, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Amazing... I want im my iPhone! 🙂

September 29, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Minou, New York City

I have a blackberry! What about us bb users?

September 29, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  24. Robert- Phildelphia

The Hollywood crowd just doesn't get it. They should be ashamed of themselves.

September 29, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  25. Dodie - California

So you are telling me that if I do not like what a judge rules, I can run to another country and live happily ever after... not taking responsibility for destroying someone else's live???

And I wonder how many children in Switzerland have been traumatized because of Polanski?

September 29, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Timing and motivation of arresting him now is totally irrelevant. He's guilty, he heeds to pay. He's had 30 years of freedom he didn't deserve.

September 29, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Jane - Vt

I agree with Jeffrey Tobin, I have no sympathy for Polanski either. He needs to serve his time.

September 29, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  28. John Smith

Polanski is a sex offender, period! Celebrity status should have no bearing on this. A 13 year-old girl. All of the "stars" should be ashamed of themselves.

September 29, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

About Roman Polanski, frankly I find this very confusing story. Why did take 30 years for this story come to light?

September 29, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  30. Lori

Gady. It was a homeless doll. It is selling for $95

September 29, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ask Jeff Toobin,
    Can Roman Polanski be extradited to United States without his fight? Or he will not to be extradited??? Does he have own lawyer in Switzerland?

September 29, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Totally agree with Jeffrey Toobin; you need to go through the legal system if you have issue with it. He got caught, he needs to come back and deal with it. I don't think it matters how long it's been since the original crime.

September 29, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  33. Mike, Syracuse, NY

So if any criminal doesn't like their plea deal it's OK to run?

September 29, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Lori

No one gets a straight deal in Santa Monica. Why couldn't he change the court venue to a different district where he could be treated fairly.

September 29, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"He did the crime now, he has to do the time."

September 29, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Polanski needs to go up the river to the big house, period.

September 29, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Letitia

Didn't Woody Allen end up marrying his wife's adopted daughter? Yeah, that's what I thought...hardly a voice of reason.

September 29, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Bill

Polanski at the very least jumped bail. Not. To mention pleading guilty. As I see it he should be sentenced for the crime. He should be tried for jumping bail and that tacked on.

September 29, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  39. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Woody Allen married his own step-daughter, hardly a good reference. Polanski admitted raping a 13 year old girl and never paid. That's the only issue.

September 29, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  40. sue

Lock Polanski up.

September 29, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Bryan - Los Angeles

Hollywood is a cesspool for the filth and scum that taint the entertainment industry.......and rallies around the worst of the worst!

Roman Polanski is a convicted child rapist who because of fame and wealth was able to flee the country and avoid the punishment that was to be given him....a punishment that any other convicted felon would have to face.

Roman Polanski needs to be brought back to Los Angeles and thrown in jail to serve the time he was meant to serve and would have finished years ago. Roman Polanski brought this entire situation upon himself.

September 29, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi!
    Though the timing of Roman Polanski's arrest seems unreasonably overdue, I wouldn't go so far as to sign a petition to free him.

September 29, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  43. starr, formerly known as vncent

Hi Erica, yes, some more info on the earthquake and resulting tsumani would be appreciated.

September 29, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Mike Armstrong TX.

What caused this event and what about an after shock

September 29, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Donna Orsborn, Las Vegas, NV

Did I hear Erica right? $95.00 for a homeless doll. I am speechless for once, ha.

September 29, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Tsunami is very sad. I hope people in the Pacific, are able to stay well.
    It's very sad the losses!

September 29, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

And I also agree with Michael Moore and David Gergen's comment.

September 29, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Karen McKay

I think that the reason people are not out demonstrating for healthcare reform is because they're affraid that if they are televised, their company may fire them. Right now everyone is affraid to lose their job.

September 29, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Jamie

You can teach your daughter about those less fortunate than you in ways that do not include buying her a doll!

September 29, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Karen, Oceanside, CA

Normaly, I only voice my opinion to my husband of 50 years, but now I will let all readers here know that I think we should all have the option of a public option. I have had one for years now, Medicare. It has never stood between me and my doctors, never denied me a service I needed. There is no reason to be afraid of health care.

September 29, 2009 at 10:25 pm |