September 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/29/09

We've got the raw politics of the today's health care reform vote on Capitol Hill. Democrats battle Democrats. Is the fight doomed? Plus, a father's fight. He goes to Japan to get his kidnapped children back and he ends up in jail. And, an earthquake hits near American Samoa prompting tsunami warnings and advisories - even along the U.S. west coast.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kim

I am with Michael Moore. I am part of the 2/3rds of Americans, wanting some kind of change from what we have. I am tired of not feeling good, being in severe pain because of my health insurance.
    Choice they talk about, rationing? We already have rationed care, it is called denial by insurance companies that can do anything they want. I want change.

September 29, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  2. Kadi

Good Evening,
    to hear that people are supporting this Polanski guy is outrageous , has Hollywood gotten so bad that good morals and ethics to help us live in a decent society is no longer respected. This is shameful, very shameful.There is no time limit on justice.

September 29, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  3. Woody in Tennessee

There are already two government options available. One is called Medicaid (TennCare in Tennessee) and could easily be expanded to make eligible all those who have lost their jobs as well as those who live below the FLP. The other, of course, is Medicare which requires a small premium from its participants.

September 29, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  4. ericacnn

hi, everyone. a great discussion off the top.

i'm late to the game – trying to get some more info on the situation in samoa. we have some good reports out of american samoa, not as much confirmed from samoa, however.

September 29, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  5. Dulcie - Denver

All I can say is where were all the angry people FOR the public option at those town hall meetings? I went to one and was outnumbered 10-1 by people who were screaming against it. If there were any, they weren't televised. The overall impression is despite the people in favor of the public option, what we see on the news are all the Tea Party types who hate the Public Option.

September 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Tracy Brown

So many people on the blog are in favor of a public option. Why is it that since this health care debate has started, I've mostly seen people marching and having protests against health care reform. All the supporters really have to become more vocal, I think, if you want to get it. (I'm Canadian. I can't imagine life without health care.

September 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  7. Lori

Tsunami! How long will the alert last?

September 29, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Jo in San Jose

I'm dismayed that any politician would vote against a provision that two thirds of Americans want. There are still paths to a public option, but if those of us who want it aren't very noisy about our position–and willing to take names and vote out anyone who votes against it–we'll be left with business as usual.

September 29, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  9. CURTIS

News flash. Michael Moore runs his own business, successfully.

September 29, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Ashley H, Canada

Hi Anderson, hey Erica, and hello 360 bloggers!

I keep hearing a lot about a "public option". What is it?

How much damage did the tsunami cause? What is the death toll? Did they have any sort of warning system?

11. Linda Gomez

We have to have a public option, nothing will change if we don't.

12. Dodie - California

@ Rob – Manitoba Canada

Yes, I am also sick and tired of what is called "special interest groups" What about "special interest groups for the mass majority of American citizens?

I think Canada is light years a head of us in many ways!

13. Emily

I can't believe that Martin Scorsese is defending Polanski!!! 😦
    The one living director that I love & I have just lost alot of respect for him!

Why is Hollywood looking to give a blind eye to this?
    Is their memory that short?
    This is just another sick part to this story!

14. Frank

Why are our politicians not doing what they were elected to do? I voted for Obama, but he's beginning to tick me off. Moore is right. He needs to start getting strong on his positions and defend our interests.

15. The Real Issue

The Real Issue is these so-called Democrats seem not to get it!! A weak plan will not work and the Republicans are not supporting a public option or the plans presented!!! So get smart and pass the public option anyway!! Take a risk and stand for something!! No one should be in debt because they get sick and that's the issue!!

16. Lori from IL

@ Mike, Syracuse -

Less regulation worked well on Wall Steet - greed is greed and insurance companies are greedy....

17. james

i agree with michael moore. we should have the public option. too many of our representatives are afraid of or in business with the insurance companies and therein lies the impasse. i wish our representatives would actually represent us, and not their own special interests. i support president obama and believe he is a visionary but he cannot do it all by himself.

18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I believe I can choose public option, some people won't want choose public option, I don't know which are for our healthcare, They couldn't afford insurance or medicare.

19. Sharon McKenzie

Michael Moore speaks for numerous Americans including myself

20. Herman

I love this Michal Moore–he says what he thinks and I think he is right-and he has the guts to say it–sounds like senate and congress is being bought off by private insurance companies–I just wonder if this could be it–they do not want any competition–and do not care if American people suffer and die

21. Adam

I really don't understand why this is even a debate. The Public Option is a must!! Why do many Americans not get it!! It's infuriating!!

22. pat ruesewald

i would like to know just how many senators & congressman who voted against the insurance bill, have their insurance companies hand in their pockets. who are taking insurance company lobbiest money. thanks pat, dayton, tx.

September 29, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Tim Urban

Anderson,
    It would be interesting to find out how much money each congressman has received from health care special interests and compare this amount to how they vote or stand regarding healthcare issues. .

September 29, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Barbara

The media needs to share with American public the health care benefits our senators & congress people enjoy. What do they pay for medicine?

September 29, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  25. Barb in Albuquerque

I wrote my senator last nite suggesting "their" coverages be suspended until everyone in this country has affordable access to health care services. I agree with Michael Moore, we need to get this done now and it is what we voted for last November. Mr Grassley needs to be put in the position to have "only" a public option available to him. Thanks for letting me vent.

September 29, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  26. Jamie

Anderson, great job on questioning Moore as to why his party has not been more outspoken on this issue. Good description of Moore Gergen!

September 29, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  27. Heather - Spokane, WA

I admire Michael Moore for making all of these documentaries and finding out things and telling everyone what they do not know about what is going on with our government and with other things that have happened. I think 'Bowling For Columbine' was his most powerful documentary.

September 29, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  28. Margaret in OH

We need A public option as a choice for people- NYT poll says 69% of people support a plan with a public option- I don't understand why people are so afraid of it either- especially when if they have good care they can opt to keep that. All other industrialized nations have healthcare for their citizens.

29. Double07 from ATL

Anderson, I totally agree with Michael Moore's idea. If the Dems won't do what's good for the people; then let's replace them. Where's the unity and who do they represent?

30. Cassandra

I'm all for Public Options.....But I fear that illegal immigrantss will have access to a Public Options health care. I know the president says this won't happen, but I think of food stamps, medicaid, section 8 housing, WIC, Public schools, County hospitals,.....and more public aide that illegal immigrants are literally enjoying. While I love President Obama, and I do stand behind him.....Somebody please show me how Public Health Care will not be available to illegal immigrants.

31. Will in California

If even Hawaii's universal health care program was scrapped, well before the 2009 presidential election, what makes you think that the US can afford it now? Just cut unneccessary costs and corruption in the health care industry, then try to pass a public option when the economy is healthy. Too much too soon is bound to fail.

32. Dodie - California

@ Gisselle Big-Tex

I completely agree! I, too, want public option...

33. Paul from Long Island

Michael Moore is drunk on the cool-aid. Where does he get his figures? Is he blind? Capitalism has treated him just fine.

34. ava

Anderson, really what's with Michael Moore's ranting, all misleading and some out right lies, and you're just siting there as if this was a infomercial for Michael Moore, if I wanted to watch propaganda i would try to get Cuban T.V. Do you have a finical out come in his movie , I really don't watch your show for your liberal inclinations to come your T.V show.

35. Janice Adams

I'm so angry. Don't they know why we voted them in? As far as I can see, this is basically a "unilateral" compromise. The republicans aren't negotiating–they don't want anything but total defeat of this bill. So why compromise? So to answer your question, yes, Obama is too willing to compromise.

36. pastorjohnulca

Anderson, it's time for American's to call their representatives to the carpet for their betrayal and abateing their responsibility to their constiuants. We put them office, we can remove them. Democracy – in action – that's what we need !

37. Alieu

Well i am disappointed that the public option have been voted out, but lets remember without public option, there is no reform, because majority of Americans do want a public option

38. Ron

Mikey needs to check his facts. Better than 50% of the nation is against the "public option".

39. Sharon McKenzie

I don't think President Obama should compromise on his healthcare reform plan. We should have Universal Healthcare for all Americans.

40. RONALD, boston, ma

hi anderson
    bunch of fake democrats in congress today

41. Octavia - Baltimore, MD

Well done, David Gergen. You're dead-on.

42. Rose Carabajal

Moore is absolutely right. We thought change was automatic with a democratic congress & Obama as President. We want public option.

September 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Daniel

i'm self employed and i pay $126 a month. i'm 32 and have had to "use" my health insurance. people need to shop around if there paying to much. also we need to be able to purchase insurance across state lines. why not implement that with any of these bills!

September 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Jeff, Layton Ut

I think he's right. Democrat's do need to get a spine and just get things done no matter what the Republicans think. We voted for Obama to get things done and I expect him to get things done.

September 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Joy

No Public Option for Health Care/ What would happen if we had no public option for education, police and fire protection, libraries, and our judiciary system? If health care is an entitlement (like every other civilized nation and some developing countries) then there is no other way than a public option!

September 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Corinne Benton, KY

I totally support the Public Option. No 'trigger'.

September 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Gisselle Big-Tex

BTW I am there on Friday – Michael Moore makes more sense to me than many politicians! He should freaking run for office!

September 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  48. j.e. castello

Roman Polanski...is the American justice system going to forgive ever fugitive that escapes the system?...or just the famous ones that Hollywood asks to be forgiven?

September 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  49. Mark

It's a sad day when Michael Moore speaks for the Democratic Party.

September 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Joan

More David, less Michael!

September 29, 2009 at 10:17 pm |