September 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/29/09

We've got the raw politics of the today's health care reform vote on Capitol Hill. Democrats battle Democrats. Is the fight doomed? Plus, a father's fight. He goes to Japan to get his kidnapped children back and he ends up in jail. And, an earthquake hits near American Samoa prompting tsunami warnings and advisories - even along the U.S. west coast.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Amrit

Michael is write. We are not going to advance any further regarding the health care system unless Congress simply listens to the public. Universal health care is the way to go.

2. donnaj

You go!Thank-you micheal moore we live in a crazy time where people care more about roman polanskis arrest then the one thing that is bankrupting us all..healthcare,we all just are like a little twitter when it comes to an attention span let's get on track!

3. Lula Blake

I support Public Option. All families need Insurance, not the emergency room! I need it.

4. Pete

I am in favor of the public option, I feel there is quite a bit of corruption in insurance companies that provide our care. Currently insurance companies have the right to deny services to their members, and the corporate executives reap extrodinary salaries. Insurance companies should not make the profits they currently do and the members are denied services. We need some competition in the insurance industry.

5. Dodie - California

@ Jeremy – MN

I disagree with you...

No Public Option = No Health Care Reform

6. Lori from IL

Michael Moore needs to get a bus and rally people to Washington, the way the tea party people did - why are we letting them speak for the country?

7. Doug H

GO, Michael! You are absolutely right that OUR representatives are NOT representing US – they are representing the interests of the insurance companies and Pharma. The medical industry has about 6 lobbyists for each and every member of congress – over $6000 dollars A DAY are spent on AVERAGE for EACH and EVERY congressperson.

Americans: who is lobbying for YOUR interests?!?!?

8. Steve

Michael Moore was picketed by the unions on TV Nation in Philly to protest the fact that his company didn't contribute to its employees health insurance. None of the films he makes are union and pay toward their entertainment industry health insurance policy. He's a fraud.

9. Karen, Las Cruces, NM

How many people live in Montana, North Dakota and Arkansas? Why should these three senators have total control over the majority of the American people.

10. Hilda

Insurance reformed needed. Dr called today. Procedure I paid only 50.00 dollars for 2 yrs ago, will now cost 350.00 just for the DR. Addl cost for the facility. Paying more for ins, didn't get a raise, bank laying off.

11. Bill

The public option is a must! If they are not going to put it they should move on to energy and stop wasting time. No public option means business as usual for the health industry!

12. Steve

Why has CNN not done a poll on the public option?

13. jay stankiewicz

As every day goes by on this healthcare reform issue, it's becoming more obvious that the majority of our government is in the pocket of the insurance/medical industry. Every Senator and Represenative should have to give up their government perks and live on social security and hunt for their own insurance.

14. patrice

I am tired of people saying they dont want the government to run healthcare, i say if you dont like it then go to another country who doesnt give a damn about your right to adequate healthcare. we didnt create this crisis the United oppressive corporation stucture of our country did it, now its time for the goverment to do something for its citizens for a change.

15. Jeff

We need reform..Moore is right.. Those guys with the suits with the 100 dollar hair cuts in Washington don't care about the American people, they are insurance company puppets. Is this really the United States..

16. fran

If the Congress does not pass healthcare reform with a public option, I will be the first to join Michael Moore's campaign to unseat the spineless Democrats who don't listen to the people. Anyone want to join me?

17. billy fitzpatrick

why dont they let the people vote since it involves all of us and arent we the people the boss of the goverment?

18. Mike, Syracuse, NY

We don't have a public option selling cars, selling computers, or selling other forms of insurance, but we seem to have plenty of competition. The reason is less regulation, not more.

19. sean

i think micheal moore is totaly right no public option buisness as usual for our senaters when exactly are they going to start to work for us... america slowly dies from the greed of the wealthy

20. Paul

I told many friends yesterday that I was going to actively campaign against all democrats who vote against the public option. I agree 100% with Michael Moore!

21. Antonio

I lost my job and cannot afford $1,200 a month in Cobra for my family of four. What am I supposed to do if there is no public option ?

22. Michael - Los Angeles

It's about time a high profile figure shows some spirit in defending and promoting the public option.

23. Jordan G

Americans will no longer stand by while the senate ignores our right for public option.

24. Tessa

If you think about it, what would the change in healthcare be if the new bill doesn't have the public option? Michael Moore is correct. He is honest and has a realistic grasp of the "larger picture."

25. Kim

Good evening.
    We must have the public option. I am so happy to see Michael Moore speaking tonight. I am one of the person's whose lives has been nearly wrecked by my health insurance company. I need a surgery, but my ins. will not approve it. It is not experimental or investigational as they say.
    I voted for Obama and I want a public option. We have massive medical bills and we are insured. I am pissed about today's action. I am 47 and cannot wait for medicare.

26. Toni Whiteman

I agree with Michael Moore. He's right once again. If there is no Public Option on the table, health care reform has failed. And those who fail to deliver the American people from the stronghold of the insurance companies are not working for us, and should be removed.

27. CURTIS

@Mike, Syracuse...Michael Moore isn't a celebrity. He makes films and owns a production company. He's made a voice for himself by defending the American Consumer, not by attending celebrity events.

28. Dodie - California

I completely agree with Michael Moore! At least we have one visionary in this country!!!

29. Richard Thompson

The Dems need to get there act together. We voted for change. Not to be ignored. The right wing and the insurance companies are really scaring this country. This should not be about politics. It should be about the people of the US. People really need help!!!

30. Robin

I'm glad Michael Moore has a spine. Throw politics as usual out the window. A public option is needed and needed now. We've got to get on board!! Democrats wake up!!!

31. Joan

Sen. Nelson betrayed the people of Florida and the nation. Florida has a plan to insure all Floridians at an "affordable" rate. Affordable to whom? Since the plan's inception about 8 months ago do you know how many people signed up out of all the millions of uninsured? 4400 to be exact! Why? This so-call coverage barely covers anything and it's definitely not affordable. Well, it's only affordable to 4400.

Michael Moore is correct. And my ex-astronaut senator (Bill Nelson) can literally go to the moon.

32. Judy D.

Michael Moore is spot-on. I worked for GM in 1985. I remember Roger Smith .........boy do I ever!

33. Vanessa, TX

I'm looking foward to Michael Moore's new movie.

34. Todd, NJ

Why doesn't congress give up their health care and get their own...

35. Jarrod

Anderson I just cant belive it... we have money for war all the money if not we'll borrow it but no money for healthcare

36. Keith

I agree with Michael Moore! The only people who do not want change in health care are people with jobs or people without pre-existing conditions. I have a daughter with Autism and without a job cannot get her covered even when I had a job Also with unemployment at 9.7% we need this to pass more than ever.

37. Cindy

My husband and I are self employed and pay 1,346.00 per month for health insurance for our family. How much does it cost our Senators for health insurance for their family?

38. GARRY HUBBARD

mr moore is right without a public option it will be the same for the insurance companies. i am a contractor in virginia beach virginia and i have to laugh when the repubs say most peoplE are fine with there health care as long as someone else is paying for it well i am the some one else and i caNT AFFORD IT ANYMORE IF THEY HGAD TO PAY THE 1400 DOLLARS A MOUNTH FOR TWO PEOPLE THEN WE WOULD HEAR A DIFFERENT TUNE

39. James -VA

Why do you treat Michael Moore as an expert? Hisx opinion does not represent the opinion of the people. Our Senators are listening to the people, not to left extremists like Michael.

40. duane

Single Payer is simple! As the Rep. in New York said "what is the value of the private insurance company?" Here's an idea; let just one private insurance company (Bluecross Blueshield) run healthcare insurance. We'll pay them through taxes, private and gov't coexistance; done deal!

41. Victoria Sybelnik

A public option is an option. If you don't want it don't use it. It is a disgrace what the Senate did to the American people today.. It is a big win for the profit making insurance companies and a big loss to all Americans. I will work with Michael Moore to eliminate these Democrats.

42. Constance-Maryland

I agree with Michael Moore. We need to go after our politicians who are representing special interest (the insurance companies) and not their constituents. I have wondered why people who need healthcare aren't voicing their support of the public option.

43. Jon - Marquette, MI

Michael Moore makes a very good point we either need to have a health care system like Germany with open market options, but strict regulation or one with a Co-Op at least to start making a change.

44. Deborah

Tell Michael I am with him 100%

45. Cynthia, NC

Good evening, all. Once again health care is front and center. Interesting comments from Michael Moore....

46. Octavia - Baltimore, MD

The question I have is... what's the plan here? What are we working to accomplish, and how will the lack of public option achieve it? Will it benefit us all in the long run? we need some form of info

47. John

Without a public options, the insurance industry would get 40+ million more customers without having the incentive to reduce or even control costs.

48. Patrick Keith

Good for you Michael Moore.

The program is a farce without a public option.

49. Sabrina

You go Michael Moore! You are right! If the Democrats fail to deliver on passing real health care legislation then we the people will revolt. We will get representatives in office to get the job done.

50. Steve

Michael Moore is absolutely right. Democrates need to grow a spine. America finally had a President who has the right ideas and is working toward making the country better and safer than ever before. But it's the spineless Democrats and the Idiotic do nothing Republican that are destroying the country.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8