September 29th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/29/09

We've got the raw politics of the today's health care reform vote on Capitol Hill. Democrats battle Democrats. Is the fight doomed? Plus, a father's fight. He goes to Japan to get his kidnapped children back and he ends up in jail. And, an earthquake hits near American Samoa prompting tsunami warnings and advisories - even along the U.S. west coast.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. JD Miller

Mr Moore is 100% right. This isn't a radical viewpoint. We need real healthcare reform...this is exactly what we voted for last November.

This is the only chance we'll see in my lifetime. The opposition is louder than the supporters. If you sit back, you'll get what you deserve!

September 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  2. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Lynne

I agree with you... Today I heard something about what is theoretically possible but very unlikely, that Polanski is released with bail. Bail?

Big names in Hollywood are supporting the Roman Polanski, but this is so absurd and scandalous!

September 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  3. frederick

It's time to change dialogue on health care system in the U.S. Like Michael Moore, I support public option. Insurance companies are making life unbearable for the sick Americans. This has to stop. We should not let history repeat itself this time.

September 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  4. Kingsley mclean

Micheal is so right, the democrate think they can do what they want with our vote. poor countries have better health care than we do.

September 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  5. Robert Salzman

Ask Mr. Moore to explain why the public option is so critical. Although I am supportive of his plan, the President has not convinced me yet

September 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Pat Podell

Please show the polls that MIchael Moore refers to that show the majority of American people support the public option.

September 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  7. Jean

If the 2/3 to 3/4 of Americans want either universal/single payer health care and the public option ends up not being part of the health care reform, I will drop my medical insurance and I think all Americans should drop their health insurance. I'm so frustrated. We voted for Obama because we truly believed there was going to be change with the health care system. It sucks!!!

September 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  8. Daniel

Who does this guy think he is saying "2/3 of the American people want the public option" all my friends are democrats and they don’t even want it. its crazy for him to say that 2/3 of Americans want it without any proof of that. Nuts!

September 29, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Would Moore sign up for the public option? No one has the right to support it if they are unwilling to put themselves and their families on it.

10. Dulcie - Denver

I'm in favor of the public option, but was always doubtful that we'd get it in the end. We need to take what we can get this time around

I don't like Michael Moore and never have. He's always so over the top. Saying he'll actively campaign against any Democrat that doesn't fully support the public option. Look that won't help the cause. It'll just get more Republicans in office and we'll lose whatever ground we've gained. That's just stupid.

11. Dodie - California

So, one more time in the 60 year battle, the Pharmaceuticals, AMA and Insurance Companies Win and The Americans people Lose!

No Public Option = No Health Care Reform

What is wrong with this country? We elect self serving officials who do Not represent the vast majority of American citizens.

I am outraged. We can support a 3 Trillion dollar war in Iraq for 8 years, bail out Wall Street & Banks for hundreds of billions of dollars, who are now giving themselves more bonuses, but we are Not willing to take care of our own people?????

12. Tiffany - LA

Hi everyone. This whole health care reform issue would not be as bad if people weren't so afraid of change and were more informed about what they are fighting for and fighting against. Real 'health care,' not sick care should be a right and it should be offered to all Americans.

13. Shawn

Michael Moore is absolutely right. Nothing will change without the public option. And I intend to campaign with him against any DEM or Rep who does not vote for it. I will come out of my house. Michael tell me what to do!!!!!!!!!

14. Wedlin

Hello Anderson,
    No public option simply means that GOP is still in charge.
    It's a bad option for democrats to let "public option" simply go away.
    This will be a great deal during the next presidential election.

15. Lori

I will be seeing the Movie – Capitalism A Love Story.

16. chris

My wife and I are working full time and we can not afford health insurance, because it`s just too expensive. We need to have a public option so hard working people have access to health car. We don't want a hand out we just want something we can afford.

17. b.kunicki

Does Michael Moore thinK the American people are idiots? What polls is he TALKING about? The overwhelming opinion of people is that the health care reform (especially the public option) is a bad idea. I agree with him on one point-- congress is there to represent the people. He is just misrepresenting what Americans want. HOPEFULLY HE'LL NEVER HAVE TO RELY ON A SINGLE PAYER PLAN!!!!!!

18. Margaret Linda

Regarding Polanski: He did a criminal act and should suffer the consequences of what he did. Nothing should negate his criminality: Not time, not fame, not being rich which allowed him to travel to countries and avoid extradiction to the U.S., not his known victim's absolution. Forgiveness from his victim is commendable but is not warranted punishment for a crime.

19. Helen Hahn

If no public option then no mandate. I would like a list of the amount every congressman has gotten from the health insurance industry. Most Americans want the public option.

20. Craig

Nice, really nice.
    Why don't we just sign our paychecks over to the insurance industry and be done with it....

21. Amy

I really agree with Michael Moore about having a public option. I want a public option!

22. e-dog

We must pass significant healthcare reform – there are too many people going without necessary care – either we get the care we need or we must replace our legislators

23. Chris McCarthy, Canada

Public option DEAD?
    You people are crazy. Go ahead and let the medical insurance companies run your lives. You deserve it!

24. Geoffrey Gilbert

Disheartening and demoralizing.We need proper health care reform,and that means a public option.period,no debate.

25. Minou, New York City

Thank you for having Michael Moore on!

26. Karen Gonyea MN

Can't wait to see the movie. I want my money back!

27. Leslie

As an American with extensive health issues, I believe a public option is ESSENTIAL for real healthcare reform. When will Congress's votes on this issue start reflecting the desires of the American people?

28. patrice

I am sad to see that the public option was defeated in the senate today. Like Micheal Moore said, and hes actually been right even though most people dont want to admit it. Nothing will change in health care, the prices might lower a five dollars for a plan the way things are looking.

29. Beth

Those people in power have forgotten that they represent the people of the USA. We need a public option. Even if a person is satisfied with their own health care, why can't we see the plight of millions of Americans who need a public option?

30. steve

Health insurance companies state that they help control costs and improve quality...saw interviews with Wellpoint and Aetna CEOs. From what I've seen on my bills, the efforts to contain costs certainly seem to be there.

31. Lauren

am just sick to my stomach about the blockage of a public option today. it is totally unacceptable. in no way does this feel like government of the people by the people and for the people. i think many forefathers are rolling in their graves.

32. Stu Schreiber

It seems unconstitutional (violation of equal protection) to have the congress give themselves public healthcare while the rest of Americans are excluded from this opportunity.

33. Joseph L Sanchez

What are the people who work for Walmart, Home Depot, Starbucks,Lowes, 39 hours (classified non-fulltime worker) going to do for Health Insurance. We need a Public Option,

Joseph

34. Jason

Mr Moore is correct. The Democrats need to reflect on the last two elections and realize why they were voted into office. We want the public option and expect them to stand up and fight for us once and for all.

35. The Real Issue

MICHAEL MOORE IS 1000% CORRECT. And he should go after any Democrat or Republican that does not do what is necessary for all Americans!!

36. sherry md

Public option now or never. I can lose ny hone bc of med insur.

37. Jeremy - MN

@Jane, I disagree. I think the majority of Americans want health care reform, but not in the form of a public government run option. I think the polls have been very clear on that.

38. morris

I listened to the Senate vote down two amendments that would have allowed for a form of public healthcare... I am with Mike Moore and will campaign against the traitors of the American people too!!

39. Karen, Las Cruces, NM

Michael Moore is absolutely right. I currently get my insurance through the state high risk pool in New Mexico. It's expensive and has a $5000 deductible but I needed it this summer for emergency colon surgery. I might have been able to avoid the surgery if it would have paid for a routine colonoscopy...instead I racked up bills of almost $200,000.

40. starr, formerly known as vncent

I trust Michael Moore's prediction. He's right when he refers to GM and so many other issues he has done documentaries on through the years.

The public option would guantee lower prices by the insurance industry. Insurance co.'s are Not going to voluntarily reduce their profit margin to provide the American people with good health care.

I do feel that modified tort reform (meaning no "junk" law suits) is also necessary to prevent "defensive" medicine and lower malpractice premiums for the doctors.

41. mike jacobs

The first Congressman Michael Moore needs to campaign against is Parker Griffith of the 5th District that covers northern Alabama. this so called yella dog Democrat has not supported the Democrtaic party in any of the major legislation voted on in 2009 and needs to be booted from Congress. Thank you.

42. Ramon W. Johnson

Michael Moore is correct...nothing will change if there is no public option. This will be a windfall for insurance companies who will continue to reap huge profits at the expense of your health. How insane is this?

43. Mary

Can't wait to hear the recruitment story.....we may have dealt with then!!!

44. Frank

Good evening, folks. Michael Moore is right. This is ridiculous. Wow, what position does the United States stand on when it comes to its citizens' health? My wife is having our baby in a monthand my job's insurance is being downgraded. I feel for my son.

45. Erin in Minneapolis

Michael Moore is absolutely spot on about this. It's a shame that Obama is caving in – I voted for him because I wanted to believe that he was the real deal, that he would stand up for the American people. Republicans, Democrats, Presidents – at the end of the day – the almighty dollar – and all the power, influence and money that these health care companies have – is apparently enough to make an honest man turn a blind eye.

46. Teresa H

Michael Moore is correct, the senate finance committee and other dems who don't support the public optn is ignoring the voters. After all we listened to Pres Obama during the election and this is what we heard and approved of. I am with Michael Moore all the way get those dems who refuse to listen to the voters out of here.

Teresa

47. KURT GAEBEL

I full agree with Michael Moore. A health care reform without the public option is a joke. I cannot believe that Obama would even consider a compromise. His position on this issue made me withdraw my support for him. Despite my sympathy for him in general.

48. Lauren

I am afraid that Michael Moore is right but I am still not giving up on the intelligence of the American people....

49. Joyce

Michael Moore is VERY correct. He should count me in. I'll march if I have to. This country like many are just walking all over people on behalf of rich/big companies

50. Aaron

I sit here in my room amazed at the words spoken by Micheal Moore! Finally some one plain and simply called the congress out on what they are ignoring, the american opinion. If 3/4 of americans want? why cant congress comprehend that it means universal healthcare is a YES!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8