September 22nd, 2009

Update: Flooding in Atlanta

David Mattingly | BIO
AC360° Correspondent

It doesn’t look like it in this photograph but the water is moving enough to make it hard for me to keep my footing. These muddy waters are very deceptive. Some of the deaths in Georgia are the result of people being swept away as they attempted to drive through flood waters.

There’s more rain in the Atlanta forecast today making it less likely to see the water retreat.

More from David Mattingly on AC360° tonight at 10 p.m. ET.

Filed under: David Mattingly • Weather
  1. Annie Kate

Wow what a lot of water in Atlanta – its hard to really associate this much rain and flooding with any place in Georgia because they have been in drought most of the the past few years. I hope all stay safe. We are having flash floods in Alabama in my county but so far nothing that I have seen.

September 22, 2009 at 5:53 pm |
  2. Andre T

Question ? What happens to the fuel in all those gas stations under water ?

September 22, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  3. Angelique Sims

Wow... what is going on with all the water and floods here lately? I'm starting to think that these may be signs of the Apocalypse and 2012... or I could be dead wrong. Either way, it's kind of scary.

September 22, 2009 at 1:41 pm |
  4. Mari

How sad. God willing no more lives will be lost.

September 22, 2009 at 1:22 pm |
  5. jenny

What makes me creepy is that Sunday I was dring thru Sagahtt junction and now to see it flooded. Geeze. I live just north of Atlanta in Rome we seem fine here everything is open and running but the rivers sure are high. We used to live on lLake Carroll in Carrollton. Our whole neighborhood is flooded as well as the elementary school and the JR high. Scary

September 22, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  6. Michele

I live near Chattanooga and its been bad here too.

September 22, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  7. Emily

The pictures of what is happening there in Atlanta is sad to see. After the water left in one spot, the sink hole that appeared in the middle of the road was huge! I can't imagine what it looks like under all that water. I hope that no more lives are lost until that water finally recedes and leaves. Stay safe in Atlanta!!

September 22, 2009 at 12:18 pm |
  8. Kim

"Singing In the Rain " Keep the sun in your heart Georgia !

September 22, 2009 at 11:52 am |
  9. Lori Higgons

I was living in Columbus GA, so am glad i am not having to deal with all the rain. That is sooooo terrible!! I feel so bad for all the people who have been flooded out. I will say an extra prayer just for them.

September 22, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  10. Cindy

The flooding here will get way worse than this David!! They are calling for more rain today and all week into the weekend. So far 8 have died and I hope no more do. People need to use common sense and stay out of the waters.

Cindy..Ga.