September 22nd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/22/09

A battle is underway over a tent Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi has put up in New York. He's not getting the welcome mat. Plus, a security alert for sports stadiums and luxury hotels. And, we take you inside the case against the accused Craigslist killer.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)
A

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cynthia, NC

Tom Delay.........OMG! Glad I missed that last night!

September 22, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Minou, New York City

oooo, that sphere walk looks like fun!

September 22, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Lori

I would like to have one of those bubbles.

September 22, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Heather,ca

I had to cover my eyes as I watched. I was speechless as I watched Tom Delay almost dance his pants off.

September 22, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  5. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

And is not that Tom Delay is an excellent dancer! 🙂

September 22, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  6. Emily

look @ all the deaths are have been from Rx drugs! reallys sad!

September 22, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  7. gail

There are some things that should not been seen and Tom Delay shaking his "wild thing" is one of them. I will never be able to listen to that song the same way again.

September 22, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  8. Sam

Randy Kay did a great job covering the craigslist killer story, but she is giving future potential killers ideas on how NOT to get caught.

September 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am sure anyone who watched DWTS yesterday will agree that Tom DeLay's political career is officially over. As a ballroom dancer myself I predict that Donny Osmond is going to run away with this one.

September 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  10. Mike Armstrong TX.

Do you think Erica can do the cha cha like that

September 22, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  11. Minou, New York City

Every time I see the Tom Delay dance routine I get the creeps...

September 22, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

It is true that through email, you can know the IP of the email's sender and the provider must have the personal information of who was using that particular IP.

September 22, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Tom Delay shaking his thang? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

September 22, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Emily

Tom Delay is a real "Wild Thing" 😀

September 22, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  15. Chantelle, Atlanta

@Emily
    Thanks 🙂
    I don't really know what the water's like right now... I stayed home all day today. But from the pictures they've been showing on the local news, it looks like it's gone down a decent amount. Like I said, it's good that the rain seems to have stopped.

September 22, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  16. Zeanna

I support our troop but some more reasearch needs to done to help our troops out their avoid less deaths. My husband is over their and we need more of America support.

September 22, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Dina Bevers

You go Mark - Good job tracking that craigslist killer

September 22, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Emily

This 'Craig's List Killer' story is SICK!
    What an abuse of great technology!!!

September 22, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  19. David, Indiana

@Emily, no problem, we were talking about the flooding in Georgia at dinner tonight.

@Chantelle, glad to hear it's stopped raining for now, hope there's time enough for the rivers to go down from flood stage before anymore storms come through. Hope you and everyone there are staying safe, being careful.

September 22, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  20. Minou, New York City

It's not really fair to call it an 8 year war. Afghanistan had been neglected by Pres. Bush for many years. We could be farther along if he didn't pour all his energies into Iraq.

September 22, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  21. Lori

It's unbelievable that no one who was close to the killer suspected him.

September 22, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  22. Heather,ca

Craigslist has always creeped me out. I use the Penny Saver much safer.

September 22, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  23. Tammy, Houma, LA

We committed to the people of Afghanistan, and we have an obligation to see it through. I know President Obama talked about getting out of Iraq and did it, but Afghanistan is a totally different matter. This may be the one thing I agree with him on.

September 22, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  24. Nicholas, Hawaii

Re Edwards allegedly seduced by Rielle. Excuse me? Did she drag him kicking and screaming into the relationship? Seems to me he was pretty willing.

September 22, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  25. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

I was wondering what happened with the Craig's list guy, I hadn't heard about him in a while. Is his fiance still standing by his side as she was when he was caught?

September 22, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  26. Mariam

I take offense to the comments that the John Edwards situation is sad or tragic for all involved. I have no sympathy for John Edwards or Rielle Hunter. Edwards brought this all on himself. And Rielle Hunter is certainly not shielding her child from this disgusting situation. She's parading her child in front of the cameras. Let's talk about accountability instead of the tragedy of it all.

September 22, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Connie L

Let's take care of our own Country for awhile
    instead of trying to run so many other Countries.
    Especially when we are not wanted there.

September 22, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  28. Heather,ca

I think being a General he knows what he is talking about. Let's leave the politicians out of it .

September 22, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Emily

Senator Lindsey Graham is correct!!!!

September 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  30. John A - Los Angeles

wow that Nintendo Wii sure is addictive!

September 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Karis

cute boy John Edwards – why can't he just dissolve behind the scenes and try and do something in the private life (i can hire you as my personal lawyer). His public service duties am sorry to say are dead and gone. Therefore John, stop hogging the limelight.

September 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Sophia Smith

Sure we are jumping on Edwards, and rightfully so. But what about the woman. Has she not heard of birth control. What about her moral values having an affair with a married man. I feel the media is being rather soft on this obvious gold digger.

September 22, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  33. Sam

8 Years in Afghanistan and yet nothing to show for. Is this turning to be another Vietnam War?

September 22, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Jerry D, New Jersey

We need to count our costs and leave Afghanistan.

September 22, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Heather - Spokane, WA

I support our troops, but we just need to get out of there. We are going on nine years there and have surpassed Vietnam's numbers of deaths troop wise and civilian. We dont need this anymore, it's not a matter of winning or losing anymore.

September 22, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Jennifer

If I were Elizabeth Edwards, the addition of a child to the fiasco would not be a big deal. The damage is done. I would feel better if responsibility was taken. The little girl does not deserve to grow up with the impression that she is 'a problem'. If John Edwards is the father, he should act like it. If I were Elizabeth, I would insist on it.

September 22, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

During the campaign didn't Obama say that the Afghan war was necessary? What changed his mind? Why is he balking about sending in more troops even when General McChrystal has said that more troops are needed?

September 22, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  38. Emily

@Chantelle I've heard that the water there is 'starting' to recede, just a bit. Is that true? btw, glad to see you here tonight! 🙂

September 22, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Vivien Wolsk, Ph.D., NYC

I feel bad only for Sen Edwards wife. She should sue his mistress for alienation of affection. No excuses for Sen Edwards but Ms Hunter clearly went after him and is a very troubled and determined woman. If the child is his he certainly should take responsibility, maybe even take custody.

September 22, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  40. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The troops right now are at risk of further harm due to lack of enough numbers. Obama needs to listen to the request for more troops or surrender and leave.

September 22, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Mike Armstrong TX.

Are we going to be a permanent presence in this country.

September 22, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

@ Carolyn, I think I heard that Edwards once said that basically power got to his head. Reminds us all to stay grounded not let our successes or our failures get too much in our heads.

September 22, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Ruth

In the case of the Edwards fall out, I really feel for Rielle Hunter's little girl 😦 Makes me sick that that poor child has to carry the weight of a national scandal when she grows up. The moral: If you politicians don't keep your pants on, you will be caught!

September 22, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  44. John A - Los Angeles

I just have a feeling the President would like to pull everyone out of Afghanistan if he could...pretty soon it will be him and the Republicans trying to stay in....

September 22, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  45. Annie Burke

John Edwards is the worst kind of man. How could anyone be so cruel? Hope he rots! Mrs Edwards should just shoot him! What has she got to loose?

September 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

I saw those house burning in the flood too – my guess is electrical shorts caused by all the water or gas issues. I think it's insult to injury to start worrying about recovering from flood damage only to have your house burn down surrounded by water. Poor people.

September 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  47. Alfred J Archangel Jr

This guy needs to be on the next flight out off the country!!!!

September 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I can understand her angina, but don't deny the child. I would let him go.

September 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  49. J.D.

Hey Anderson, thanks for all you do. why doesn't the president make it law to put up solar panals on all of the government buildings using the money they will spend on electricity next year with so that they don't have to spend that money in the future, and create some real jobs with installation and maintenance before he wastes traval money going to the summit with no idea's in hand. or how about electric cars with alternators and generators that don't burn gas or leave a carbon footprint?? What do I know, i'm just a dumb teacher from florida.

September 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  50. Mike

John edwards....has everyone forgotten his voice? why can't people be forgiven of their shortcomings

September 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm |