September 21st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/21/09

Tonight we have breaking developments on the rising water in Georgia. At least 5 people are killed after heavy rains and flooding. Dozens of schools are closed. When will the danger be over? Plus, former presidential candidate John Edwards' has admitted to an extramarital affair. He may soon have another bombshell admission.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar • Live Blog • T1
  1. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

g'evening all. am a little late. What did I miss?

September 21, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  2. Cynthia Stein

My heart goes out to Mrs. Edwards. I am a fellow cancer survivor and cannot belive the stress that this has caused her. Anyone who knows about cancer, knows that stress is not good for your health. I wish her well.

September 21, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  3. andersoncnn

good evening all.. thanks for being with us. hope you all had a good weekend.

September 21, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Minou, New York City

5 people dead? That's terrible!

September 21, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  5. David, Indiana

Thank you David Gergen for pointing out that Edward's not coming forward on this had probably to do with not wanting for further hurt his wife.

I find it hard to believe that Mr. Young who had a family would agree to claim Ms Hunter's baby as his own. That doesn't ring true, and as Joe Johns noted, Mr Young hasn't signed any affidavits, so that's all unconfirmed. So is everything Pigeon O'Brien, who hasn't talked to Rielle Hunter in a year? wow, is saying.

The confirmed news here is the possible misuses of campaign funds.

September 21, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Michael

.....Ms.Hunter as absolutely no respect for Mrs.Edward.

September 21, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  7. Minou, New York City

@ Mike, Syracuse:
    sadly, you're probably right on!

September 21, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Eva

Andersen,

It seems we have forgotten that in the middle of the scandal there is a year and a half old kid! The debate of who fathered her will be online for ever and fuel discussions around her for ever. I can’t imagine the pain of a little kid growing up without a dad and seeing/hearing that noone wants to be her dad, which seems to be the bottom line of the discussion from a kid point of view. Knowing that Edwards is a lier is not worth it!

Eva

September 21, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  9. Athena

wondering if Danielle – Long Beach, CA and I had the same Grandma.

So true

September 21, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  10. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Hopefully Edwards will be prosecuted. It would be great payback for what he did to a dying wife.

September 21, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  11. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Erica...I'm guessing Elizabeth Edwards is finding strength in focusing on the kids, along with putting 'one foot in front of the other' every second of every day.

September 21, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  12. Michele Flesher

It makes me sick to think of the pain Elisabeth Edwards must be feeling to have to deal with John's infidelity and possible fathering of another child outside of wedlock. I would never, ever cast a vote for a man that could lie to his wife, his family, and america's people. I would hope he wouldn't even think of running for any type of office again, except maybe dog catcher, and that may be too good for him.

September 21, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This just goes to show you how little we really know about anyone we see on TV. They appear to be decent and honest, but they usually turn out to be rats.

September 21, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  14. Kelly in Palm Beach

The only thing more frightening than John Anderson's sordid life and tales of lies is him thinking that he could assume the office of President of the United States. What a disturbed individual!

September 21, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  15. Alison

Disgusting. I hope he goes to jail and rots there. He should be ashamed of himself

September 21, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Cynthia, NC

David Gergen is right, we in NC are tied of John Edwards and his lies.

September 21, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  17. starr, formerly known as vncent

@ David Gergen, i agree with "tawdry" story.

Also agree with "pathology" possibility. His wife is dying (as far as he knows), he's running for highest office in the land, could affect feelings and thinking to a profound effect.

Really liked David G's analysis and also think we should move on.

September 21, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  18. Emily,

David Gergen was very fair in the answers that he gave to Andersons questions.

September 21, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  19. Dodie - California

Erica.

I agree. It would be very difficult to be married to someone who has relationships with other people. It certainly ruins the trust factor in a marriage.

September 21, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  20. niwat, Chicago

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I pity how ugly Senator John Edwards' affair has progressively unfurled to be.

September 21, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with David Gergen and Sunny Hustin's comment against John Edwards!

September 21, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  22. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

When are we going to talk about the WOMAN'S role in this "tawdry" affair.

September 21, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Jill

Is this really that important? Do we really care at this point what this selfish man is up to? He is off of the national stage. Let's get on to the real issues.

September 21, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Linda

Can you image this friend of the woman Rio Hunter saying she was insulted by Edwards lying and telling untrues when this woman Rio Hunter lived a lie sleeping with someone's husband, no respect for other women at all and now want us to be sympathic to her, and her friend is expecting it too.
    I tell you Some people.

September 21, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

The real pain to Edwards is that his political career is dead...

September 21, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  26. Mike, Syracuse, NY

So how is this woman supporting herself and her baby now? I'm thinking a tell-all book isn't far away.

September 21, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  27. Chantelle, Atlanta

@David, Indiana

Oh, and some of the schools in Cobb County actually didn't close until half-way through the day... when there were already several inches of water on the ground. Apparently, the top half of the county was dry, so the school board figured that it would be alright for the schools in the bottom half to be open today, too. Needless to say, they'll all be closed tomorrow.

September 21, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  28. Laura Stack

It's clear that both of them were wrong. If Ms. Hunter (a perfect name) was serious about helping Edwards become president, she would have steered clear of helping this man bring himself down. Now it seems she is on some sort of death watch outside their summer home. Disgraceful! She did what many do do: trap a man with a child. I hope for the sake of his children and in memory of his sick wife that he does not marry her. What will his children make of all this, never mind the politics of it all. To even think that they could get away with it is stunning.

September 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  29. ericacnn

Difficult to imagine what all of this must be like for Elizabeth Edwards. What a strange, sad mess.

September 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Anthonia-Bay Area,California

I do not know how John Edward's wife can handle all of this drama! she's literally dealing with her own drama which is cancer! Besides, why would John want to cheat on his wife knowing that she has cancer anyways? thats just wrong!

September 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  31. Jacqueline, NY

What gall! He gulled us all. Ha!

September 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  32. sue, montreal

Sorry Anderson, there was no need for the publicity seeking bimbo-the story could have been told without the tabloid details like, what "cutesy" name they had for him...

September 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Minou, New York City

I wonder how Mrs Edwards feels now that she hears about her husband telling his mistress he'll wait till Mrs Edwards is dead to marry her on a roof top. Like the woman hasn't been thru enough!

September 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Dodie - California

@ Emily, Canada

In the fairy tale, that is true. But this is real life. Politicians learn how to deceive in order to get where they are. This does not make them bad people..... they just know how to manipulate us!

September 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

If David Gergen takes no joy in talking about this affair, as he says, I respect him even more than I already did. 'Cause everyone else seems to *love* talking about it. I feel awful for the embarrassment his family must be experiencing over this.

September 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Emily, Canada

John Edwards portraited himself as a great family man, loving, devoted husband to his wife, who was a cancer survivor...just TOO much!

September 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  37. Carmella

John Edwards had everyone thinking he was a goodie two shoes. It's totally amazing to me how he was able to pull this off for so long. But all darkness comes to light. Thank goodness that darkness came to light in time.

September 21, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  38. gail

@Anderson
    You do not know if he actually said that he would marry this woman when his wife died. Let's stick to substantiated fact.

September 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  39. david swain

Healthly child enough said.

September 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  40. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Frankly, I care about indiscretions of our elected leaders only when they belittled or throw stones at others while pretending they are better. However, in this case, this goes way-beyond a lapse in better judgement. A lot of people have devoted their lives to supporting Edwards.

September 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Adriana, Broomfield, CO

I would love to ask: these people that are saying that Edwards should not run for the office... if he assumes his infidelity, would you still vote for him? I mean, is he a good politician if he says "I'm sorry"?

September 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Chantelle, Atlanta

@David, Indiana

Everyone that I know personally was able to get home safely. I was in downtown earlier this morning, before the flooding got really bad, and by the time I was heading home the water was just rising like mad. There were a few roads that I crossed that if I hadn't gotten over them when I did, I might have been stranded.

September 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  43. Dulcie - Denver

Yeah, John Edwards is a dirtbag, but... I agree with others there. I love the show, but seriously? This is what you lead with?

September 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Gayle McCauley Malden,Mass.

Greetings to All! I've been away,it's good to be back! Tsk,tsk,John Edwards. Concerned about those in Atlanta....

September 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Cessy, Chicago

Mr. Edwards looks like he is a charming guy...I'm sure this isnt the first time he used his charm. I'm interested now in what Mrs. Edwards really know and how far will she go to "protect" his cheating husband. More to be revealed....

September 21, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  46. Shubha Kumar

The flood situation in Georgia is far more important that John Edwards and his pack of lies and affairs. Can't believe it is the lead story..

September 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Sorry, but I'm finding this coverage a little trashy for a CNN news broadcast. This seems more like daytime talk-show material.

September 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  48. LorenaR

Anderson Cooper appears to be going for the jugular in his interview with this lady. The picture of John Edwards that is emerging is not a good one!

September 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Hunter is just like any other gold digger who tries to trap a celebrity. These guys should know better.

September 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Dennis

I'm not sure why Edwards is getting all this top story air time on CNN. You should be covering the news that affects all of us, namely health care and Afghanistan.

September 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |