September 21st, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/21/09

Tonight we have breaking developments on the rising water in Georgia. At least 5 people are killed after heavy rains and flooding. Dozens of schools are closed. When will the danger be over? Plus, former presidential candidate John Edwards' has admitted to an extramarital affair. He may soon have another bombshell admission.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar • Live Blog • T1
  1. Becky

John Edwards disgusts me. The man is looking like a pathological liar. Maybe Oprah can have him and Elizabeth on to discuss this latest set of lies. I feel horrible for Elizabeth but please, have some self respect and show your daughters that they shouldn't ever be treated this way by a man-kick him to the curb!

September 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  2. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

Wow, John "Love Lips" Edwards. LOL

September 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  3. Jennifer NC

I feel awful for Elizabeth, Kate, Jack and Emma, What a horrible thing for them to go through.

September 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Everything backfire on him. He was hoping the cancer would claimed the life of his wife.

September 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  5. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Lampe, that cracked me up.

September 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Adriana, Broomfield, CO

Edwards is a politician but also a human being. Many many many men and woman have affairs but once you're at a public position, you should play with decency. Assume your mistakes and move on. Specially with a child involved.

September 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  7. starr, formerly known as vncent

I have to say I am quite surprised about the rest of the story.
    I just can't accept that Edwards would promised this woman marriage after Elizabethe dies.

Thank God the American people made the decisions that they did for choosing a leader.

To ere is human...to forgive is divine, God bless Elizabeth Edwards and the children

September 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Most celebrities/politicians get caught with their pants down sooner or later, but Edwards should not have used taxpayer money.

September 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I hope Edwards will removed from politics, Never run any politics at all!!!

September 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Minou, New York City

Why would Mrs Edwards disclose all the details about how her husband met this woman? Not her place to do.

September 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  11. Lampe

It can't be! A democrat that lies.

September 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  12. Emily, Canada

@Dodie ...I think that people are "shocked" because they, the people, just like you, have Electioned them. They feel like they are betrated when you go out and vote for someone who you think is one way.

September 21, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  13. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone.

@Chantelle, Atlanta, the flooding there sounds like a deluge. I heard they closed schools, given what you heard that's a good thing. Safety of school kids is the first priority. Were people able to make it to work and home tonight safely?

September 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  14. Cessy, Chicago

Rain Georgia...Snow in Colorado...I'm scared to know what kind of weather heading my way...

September 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  15. John

we all knew it was his kid. he almost hid it. good job america.

September 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Jacqueline, NY

Anderson, during the campaign while travel around with Edwards, did you sense at all anything out of the ordinary? What ever that means.

September 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  17. gail

What importance is this to the national discourse and of course it is not over when the media keeps choosing the tabloid over the real stories in the news. Until it is proven that he used campaign contributions wrongly then this is not a story that should concern the American public. Whether he is or is not that child's father has absolutely no bearing on the national debate we are having about health care, We need to rise above the need to always throw stones.

September 21, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Alice Wentworth

Anderson, please ask Pigeon if she knows when Mrs. Edwards was told about the affair.

September 21, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Patty

The pattern of lies and immoral behavior from Edwards is staggering.

He had such a strong and important voice as a crusader against poverty in this country. I really admired him for that.

He clearly has deep character flaws, and sadly, that can only hurt the center for poverty, whose work will now take a back seat to the scandal.

September 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Cynthia, NC

Good evening. Up until late last year, I had a lot of respect for our former Senator John Edwards. But if these reports that have come out over the last few days are actually true, God help him. The remarks about marrying Rielle Hunter after his wife died are just unbelievable. What a disgrace to his family.

September 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Anthonia-Bay Area,California

Good Evening Every!

Man i wonder how John Edwards wife is coping throughout this whole entire affairs. It seems like theres always a new chapter to his lies..! I hope his wife will continue to remain strong throughout his ordeal..!

September 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Nicholas

Elizabeth has perhaps made choices for the benefit of her children's futures. However, she needs to boot John out on his sorry behind.

September 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Jane - Vt

I feel so badly for Elizabeth Edwards and her children to have to go through this. What a scum bag he turned out to be.

September 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Kristen, MD

@Gail yes it does seem a little tabloid dishing abut this Edwards drama

September 21, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Jennifer

Ick – the whole Edwards thing makes me sick. What a creep. You screw up, at least have the decency to own up to it.

September 21, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Dodie - California

Good evening everyone!

What completely amazes me is that everyone seems shocked by this!!!

I am sorry, I know this is very unpopular, but our elected officials will do what ever. I don't trust any people in Congress!

September 21, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'm a little distrubed that a program as intelligent as 360 would lead with this story instead of the disaster in Atlanta.

September 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Emily, Canada

@Chantelle....that is awful to read what you are going through.
    I hope that the rain stops there soon, and everyone is okay!

September 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Minou, New York City

Hi all,
    imagine Edwards would have succeeded in his pursuit of the presidency! I'm not sure if Edwards lies would have tainted his image so terribly abroad since his lies are about his private life, but it shows that he has no honor and, well, if he can lie to his own people he can lie to the world and surely world leaders would become less trusting toward him and the US in general.

September 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Mike, Syracuse, NY

To think that Edwards actually thought he was fit to be President. Could you imagine this all coming out during an Edward's presidency?

September 21, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  31. gail

All of the people in this story lied. What is this the Maury Povich show? He's the father , no , he's the father? Give me a break.

September 21, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Cessy, Chicago

on John Edwards...wow... all these lies and still running for office. It looks like everyone here in in denial. Mrs. Edwards included. I hope he tells the truth and take responsibilities for his actions.

September 21, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Jane - Vt

Good evening Anderson, Erica, David and all. Hope all the CNN'ers in Atlanta are dry and safe.

September 21, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh boy for former senator Edward!!!!! Not good news to hear having affair other woman! He already busted!!! Shame on Edwards!!!!!

September 21, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Kristen, MD

Hello Anderson and 360 folks

Edwards is just a dirt bag. I really feel for the children involved in all this the children with Elizabeth and especially this young baby girl.

September 21, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Hello Anderson!!!
    Hello David (Indiana), 360 team, friends & bloggers!!

Happy Monday … 🙂

September 21, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hello Everyone!

September 21, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  38. gail

@Anderson
    Can we talk about the lies that the current office holders in the GOP are telling about health care and call them out on it. I don't really care about John Edwards and I can't believe this is your top story. Also, please remember that this is not only about John Edwards , but three minor children. Let's get away from the tabloid.

September 21, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  39. LorenaR

John Edwards was a politician of such promise. very idealistic. I remember how we all called him squeaky clean. i am sorry for him.

September 21, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

I can't believe John Edwards, he's a clown and his poor wife she has to deal with 2 cancers – her husband and her disease. My Grandmother used to say, "The only thing worse than a politician being caught in bed with a dead woman is a politician being caught in bed with a live one because she can tell her side of the story" I never understood that until now. John Edwards needs to be ashamed.

September 21, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Cessy, Chicago

good evening everyone.... Hi Anderson!

looks like a busy night!

September 21, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  42. LorenaR

re John Edwards, oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive. anyone heard that lately? (who said that, can't remember) it's just so much better to tell the truth, that's easy. lying is hard.

September 21, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Chantelle, Atlanta
    my heart goes to you, Chantelle....... Thanks for your story very somber for me to remember victims.

September 21, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. starr, formerly known as vncent

Hello Anderson, Erica & entire Team 360.

Hi fellow bloggers.

So very disappointing about John Edwards. I truly hope that this child is not his for the sake of his wife and children.

September 21, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, everyone!

A forbidden affair and secret lovechild to kick off the night. The votes are in: America loves scandal.

September 21, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  46. An

Hi Anderson !

Wishing so much your t.v broadcast today is not unfortunate ! Not so much too difficult !

An !

September 21, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Another great example of 'family values.'

September 21, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

WOW! Busted!

September 21, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!! Happy Monday!
    That's so sad for 5 people killed by flash flooding in GA! My heart goes to them and Georgia's people.........

September 21, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Chantelle, Atlanta

Hi Anderson, Everyone,
    The flooding's been terrible today. I'm friends with a lot of school teachers, and some of them have lost all of their supplies, their computers, their books... one of them said their elementary school flooded all the way to the roof! I don't know what the kids are going to do...

September 21, 2009 at 10:00 pm |