September 21st, 2009

Evening Buzz: John Edwards' Love Child?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/08/06/edwards.mistress/art.reille.hunter.jpg caption= "Rielle Hunter is seen arriving at a federal courthouse in Raleigh, North Carolina, last month."]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

John Edwards may have been caught in another lie. The former presidential candidate has already admitted to an extramarital affair. Now the New York Times reports he may soon admit he fathered a child with his former mistress, which he denied last year. The child is now 19 months old. And, his mistress is reportedly moving to North Carolina, near Edwards' beach house. That's not all. There's also the report that Edwards told his mistress he would marry her after his wife died of cancer. Joe Johns is in North Carolina working this story for us. And, we'll talk with a friend of Edwards' former lover. There's also the legal fight. A federal grand jury is looking at whether Edwards used campaign cash to pay off his mistress. That would be illegal.

Also tonight, a warning from the top commander of the war in Afghanistan. Gen. Stanley McChrystal says the mission will fail unless the strategy changes and more troops are brought in. We'll talk it over with Peter Bergen, Michael Ware and Author Rory Stewart.

We'll also take you to California where investigators are searching for bones on the property of kidnapping suspect Phillip Garrido. He's pleaded not guilty to charges he held Jaycee Dugard captive for 18 years. Police are now looking at whether he's connected to the disappearance of two other girls in the late 1980s. As for what life was like inside Garrido's home we're uncovered new, bizarre details on the suspect. Dan Simon gives you an up close look at the black box Garrido kept in his home. It's part of our weeklong series on suspects in high profile crimes.

And, on a lighter note, from runway model to talk show TV host, Tyra Banks has shown hundreds of hairstyles over the years. But nothing compares to what she sported when talking with CNN's Larry King.

Join us for these stories and much more at 10pm ET. See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. John

Come on a little reality check. We all know John Edwards lied about this because he knew the media would ignore this story and bury it for him which they gladly did. This story is almost 2 years old and still being covered with disbelief. This guy is a dog but in todays world as long as your a democrat media darling thats OK.

September 21, 2009 at 11:24 pm |
  2. john

Clinton cheated on His wife- so did JFK, Gary Hart, Jesse Jackson, and a lot of other Democrat Presidential contenders. What do you expect from the liberal Democrat thought process that does not have any conservative morals?

September 21, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  3. Linda

John Edwards is nothing but a scumbag. Every time I hear that he told the other woman that he would marry her after Elizabeth dies, my stomach turns a flipflop. Then to hear tonight that he said he would marry her on a rooftop in New York is just over the top. How could he be planning his life with another woman while Elizabeth is still alive?

September 21, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  4. Mary from New Orleans

What a slime-ball, sleeze bucket, like most politicians.
    When a man spends $600 on a haircut, well, he is obviously
    self-serving and arogent!!!
    His wife with terminal cancer, I mean how sleezy and low can one
    man get?

Elizabeth is a SAINT !!!
    God Bless her...
    I hope Edmards ends up in prison and fined heavily !!!

September 21, 2009 at 11:20 pm |
  5. corvedacosta

He should have confessed this a long time. Makes him look so bad. End of career. No one should listen to him now. Loser in this ...his family.

September 21, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  6. Catherine Walker

Re: Johnn Edwards, what a dispicable story. My stomach literally churns at the comment that after his wife dies he will marry the other woman on the rooftop of where ever. This is almost akin to murder in my thoughts. He should get the h out of politics NOW!

September 21, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  7. someguy

Typical for Lib's talk out both sides of your mouth. He was for the the poor yet he was rich and would not talk to his poor neighbors. He wanted to look like he was staying with is sick wife for political favor, but was hooking up with a little hottie.

September 21, 2009 at 11:14 pm |
  8. Jenny

I wish everyone would spare Elizabeth and her children this pain. How much more does she have to deal with?

That being said if this little girl his daughter she has a right to know her daddy.

September 21, 2009 at 11:07 pm |
  9. Emely WI

Too bad so sad....

September 21, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  10. carol

totally a creepy pathological,,,,,,narcissistic......JOHN EDWARDS lies to his almost dead wife.....he will reep what he sowed,,,,and it won.t be somewhere in NYC with a wedding to whoever,,,May the child get over their lack of conscience,,,,,someday

September 21, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  11. Carla

The whole thing is so sad. But it's going to be saddest for the kids. Not only are they losing their mother, but they are basically losing their father at the same time. At a time when they need something to hold on to, their whole world is dropping out from under them. They can't trust their father, they will hurt for their mother being betrayed, they will feel misplaced because of the secret that their father planned to marry someone else when their mother died.

September 21, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  12. Leigh

My heart goes out to Elizabeth Edwards and her children.
    I wish her well.

September 21, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  13. MH

Of course, Edwards behavior is reprehensible. There is no excuse for his infidelity. There is no excuse for the way he cheated on his wife and family.

On the other hand, I do believe his mistress has a big share in being responsible for the pain and embarassment that will follow this family and her own child for all of their lives.

I find it difficult to believe this child was a result of accidental failed birth control. As a woman in today's world, with all of the information and technology that is currently available, there is no way I would intentionally get pregnant and bring an unwelcome child into this world.

I am not sure of her reasoning to go ahead and get pregnant, but I think it is very sad that there will always be embarrasment and pain for a lot of the people associated with the birth of this child.

September 21, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Shahla K.

I'd like to ask Liz. Edwards why she is staying with John and defending him? You don't need him, you are a strong beautiful woman, you have already fought your toughest battle. Please show other women that it is NOT okay to stay with a man like this and show all women that it takes courage to make a tough choice, BUT you have the courage I know you do.

September 21, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  15. smartlinkusa

I think he needs to step up for the baby.

September 21, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  16. Rhonda Chambers

John Edwards has broken my heart. I believed in him absolutely and completely. I thought he was a truly good, decent, honest, upright man and a natural born leader whose heart was really in the right place. His genuine passion for helping the poor and less fortunate made me so proud of him. Now I am just so, so disappointed in him. More than anything else, now I just feel terribly, terribly pained and sad for Elizabeth who deserved so much better. Her husband has effectively torpedoed her entire world in the midst of her already difficult battle with a wretched cancer. It is just an absolutely heart rending situation with no good ending seeming to be possible.

September 21, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Tracy in North Carolina

I find John Edwards to be a prime example of what every man should strive not to be. His actions have proven him to be nothing more than a man taking advantage of his political status, and has no respect for his wife and family, not to mention the people that trusted him enough to support him in his political career. He should be ashamed of himself for having caused this disgusting scandal. His wife is in need of a supportive and loving husband. He doesn't fit the bill for either.

September 21, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Bettie

Took me too long to find out how to get on but just want to say my heart, thoughts and prayers go out for Elizabeth and the children including this one born out of wedlock Love and Peace to all on this day of world prayer. Please pray for all of the other children and people in need of Peace

September 21, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  19. julie gerrits

As a cancer survivor, and a human being, I am so apalled by his actions toward his wife. He really is the scum of the earth. His mistress should take his love child and run from him as fast as she can!!! But, it kind of looks like she likes the media attention, so maybe they deserve each other. I wish Elisabeth well, and hope she finds peace.

September 21, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  20. Michele

The saddest thing about this affair other than the hurt it has caused Elizabeth and her children is this: the little girl born out of wedlock will bear the pain of her mother and father's scandaous affair the rest of her life. I too was born of an affair and it isn't easy to be the little girl with no daddy. I hope Mr. Edwards will publicly admit to being the father if he is the father of this child, and that the press will let his poor wife, Elizabeth, who is such a great and loving person,enjoy whatever time she has left of this earth with her children and not houned by the media

September 21, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  21. Beth

Hunter is a terrible role model for young women everywhere. Women who relentlessly run after married men are worthless people who are dishonest and self-serving. Not to mention the wife with terminal cancer. Inexcusable!

September 21, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  22. Bobann

Did he think he could get away with it....Of course, He's a lawyer.!
    Will he get away with it.....Of course, he's a democrat !
    What if he had won the Presidency instead of Obama.........
    Well, he would have only been "doing his mischief "in the Oval office, (Not unlike another President ) instead of "doing our country" into Marxism !!
    Not all bad !!

September 21, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Christina Aguilar

Thank you for reporting on the John Edwards Story in a professional matter. The reason it is important is because politicians do not have a right to lead lives like this and keep public office. Furthermore, the fact that he was trying to run for President is sick, that he would attempt to plague our country with his lies and deceive the people of the United States, proves that he thinks he is smarter than everyone else and that he though his position would protect him.

Hopefully exposing this man (who I never liked by the way, just that gut feeling) will make other politicians think twice about their actions.

September 21, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  24. Sharon in Alabama

Re: Edwards' legal woes:
    OK, I get it- the guy is a lech.

But I'm concerned about his children. Prosecution with the potential of jail time could orphan them, once Liz Edwards has lost her valiant battle with cancer.

Give him penalties, fine his brains out, disbar him, mandate any type of sanctions,even assign him some embarrassing community service.

Just don't orphan those poor children- they have enough to get through as it is.

September 21, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  25. Sandi, South Carolina

I'm sure this happens in the political realm quite often. I believe when Bill Clinton had his affair and lied about it, this opened the door for others to follow. What the leader does the followers will also do. I do believe in forgiving but I also believe in removing that person from the role in which he or she has abused.

September 21, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Bruce

My gosh, how dreadful. What kind of demon has John Edwards been and for how long has his lying sickness been going on.
    This is an absolute horror story. The things that have come out from this is just beyond shocking. John, I am sorry you have just gone beyond sub human here. HOW COULD YOU!!!!! How can you do this to your wife and family. This is so horrrible. I don't give a damn how strong you might be to get through this. The unbelieveable damage has been done.

Ms Edwards may you somehow find some comfort in this horrible time. I am sorry I am so direct in my comments but my stomach is turning upside down here. May God be with you in his most powerful way.
    Geezz, how do you deal with this in your waking hours and on top of it all try to mend with everything else.

September 21, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  27. Sabrina in Los Angeles

What a lying male.

Sad that he told her one thing while doing another and told his terminally ill wife that he loved her and wasn't involved.

I think that is why she was ill...stress of knowing he was a lier.

September 21, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Sherry

I was going through treatments for BC at the time of Edwards' first campaign. I was not alone with other patients in thinking Elizabeth Edwards was delaying proper treatment because of the campaign with the result that she would end up giving her life for this man. We said said this years ago and it has unfortunately come to pass.

With this additional drama I wish Elizabeth did not have to witness the total fruitlessness of her ultimate sacrifice.

That said, I have also seen the widely various ways men react in these situations. Most are just ill-equipped to deal with it, but it doesn't justify his behavior.

September 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  29. jean of ohio

I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS MAN. WHAT A SHOCKER TO HIS FAMILY. HE NEEDS TO BE HUNG BY THE HEELS AND DRIP DRY FOR AL;L THIS ,WITH ELIZABETH STANDING BY HIM THE WAY SHE DID.
    HES WORTHLESS. SO HAPPY HE NEVER GOT ANY FARTHER WITH POLITICS,AND HOPE WE NEVER SEE HIS FACE AGAIN ,UNLESS HES IN A JUMP SUIT.

September 21, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  30. Janet

My heart breaks for Elisabeth Edwards! As a women who was cheated on by her husband I feel for what she's going through and understand the pain and heartache!. Any women who thinks it's okay to climb in bed with a married man needs to have it done to them to see how devastating it is to not only the wife but the kids and other family members. Both he and his mistress should be ashamed of themselves!

September 21, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  31. Anita

To all the voting public, beware of lying politicians. Appearances can be deceiving...John Edwards seemed to have it all..... nothing further from the truth. He has no conscience about almost bringing down the Dem. party nor his wife and family. And his saga continues. David Gurgen has it right.....there's something pathological about John Edwards.

September 21, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  32. Cecil

It's refreshing to know that most Americans still believe that we do have standards of morality and responsibility that we expect of each other.

September 21, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Mary Sylvester

The only real victims here are Elizabeth, her children and the baby. That woman caught that stupid man with the oldest trick in the book and neither should benefit from their behavior. Elizabeth should kick him out, take him to cleaners and set up her estate so that her children get it all. Then Edwards can see how fast that woman drops him. She was looking for a free ride on the gravy train. His children see him for exactly what he is and he has to live with that for the rest of his life.

September 21, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  34. Gloria

What does either woman see in him?

September 21, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Curt

So what? Let him deal with his life, he has nothing else to do with ours. Lets all look in the mirror and see if we have ever done anything that we should not have done or if we have streched the truth or even lied about.

September 21, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Chandidevi

I saw John Edwards at a rally in Los Angeles. No charisma there.

September 21, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Eva

Andersen,

It seems we have forgotten that in the middle of the scandal there is a year and a half old kid! The debate of who fathered her will be online for ever and fuel discussions around her for ever. I can't imagine the pain of a little kid growing up without a dad and seeing/hearing that noone wants to be her dad, which seems to be the bottom line of the discussion from a kid point of view. Knowing that Edwards is a lier is not worth it!

Eva

September 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  38. Anna

The man is obviously a sleeze but the two women involved in this don't set any behavioral standards either. One of them chased after a married man and the other is completely blinded by her inability to see him for who he is and move on with the rest of her life. She is also worse because she knew this lie and stood next to him when he lied to the American public. Her illness does not excuse that.

September 21, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  39. mary, brookllyn

John Edwards is largely responsible for messing up the democratic primary and blocking Hiillary's chances to win the democratic nomination. He is a dishonest, despicable, deceitful charlatan. God help his wife, his children and the child born of this union. . . . they need it.

September 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  40. Bethany

I am disgusted with John Edwards and his decisions. He should never have had an affair and if he did father this innocent child, he needs to fess up to it and take responsibility and face the consequences.

September 21, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  41. Miriam from Philly

Anderson, I am still amazed at the arrogance of these people. If you have skeletons, don't PUT YOURSELF in the public eye...emphasis on eye. They didn't have YouTube DNA and camera phones, so the Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemmings affair stayed a myth until it was proven. How does anyone think that they can hide anything now? I just don't get it. There are no secrets anymore.

September 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  42. LM

Who cares? People are always capable of lying when they're cornered. Men have been lying about this for millenium.
    This must be very painful for Elizabeth and the other children. Let's please all let them deal with this personal issue, personally and privately.

September 21, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  43. Pat , Ohio

I am the child of an affair from WWII.. I'm 64 and still looking for the father. ALL these adults need to think only about the child.

September 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  44. Barry in Texas

Who cares?? This was not news when it happened, it's not news now. This is between Edwards, his wife, and his mistress. Our country has REAL problems, move on.

September 21, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  45. Randy

This story hardly justifies being the lead story on tonight's show. Trash like this does not belong at the top of a reputable news show.

September 21, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  46. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Edwards has to have set a new low for slimy behaviour.

It will be interesting to see how Obama gets himself out of the Afghanistan dilemma. Does he listen to the commanders on the ground, or follow the lead of the Left and cave?

September 21, 2009 at 9:54 pm |
  47. David, Indiana

Of all the stories noted, the one on Afghanistan sounds the most urgent to me and we know from Anderson's reports that it's extremely rugged living for US forces in Helmand Province. I hope we can help the people of that country have a better life and stable government. It seems difficult but doable. Being resolute and flexible now could improve the lives of millions in a place that is in many ways ready to be a full fledged member of international community.

Thank you for, a couple of weeks ago, showing us those images of other galaxies from the Hubble space telescope.

I think there's a problem with the link to today's Beat 360

September 21, 2009 at 9:38 pm |
  48. Annie Kate

Just what Elizabeth Edwards needs right now – more news that her "loving" husband is waiting on her to die so he can marry his girlfriend. She ought to kick him out and take him to the cleaners at the same time. Somehow I doubt she will do that because she is a nice person – you can tell – nice people are usually the ones that get kicked in the teeth like this. If I were that girlfriend I would look at what all he has done to his wife and leave him behind me as I drove out of town and far away and not let him have a chance to ruin my life too.

September 21, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  49. JD

I think most Americans respect honesty from those who represent us as elected officials, or while a candidate for elected office. I suppose many of us would be willing to let their private lives be private, unless there is some kind of security risk in it. It seems John Edwards has not been honest with the public who could elect him ....Thankfully he did not become a presidential candidate. I do not know about his wife's health; I hope she is able to recover or have remission of the disease. If she is seriously ill, it would be kind of logical that he might someday remarry, but it is really tacky to have the subject come up during her lifetime, if it did.

September 21, 2009 at 9:31 pm |
  50. Cindy

Edwards needs to man up and claim his baby. He messed around and now he needs to pay the consequences of that. He shouldn't have been so stupid and screwed around on his dying wife.

Cindy..Ga.