September 18th, 2009

Race and politics in the age of Obama

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/09/17/criticism.racism/art.obamarose.gi.jpg]

Candy Crowley and Ed Hornick
CNN

Race and politics are a combustible combo that explodes into headlines when an ex-president lights the fuse, as Jimmy Carter did recently.

"When a radical fringe element of demonstrators and others begin to attack the president of the United States as an animal or as a reincarnation of Adolf Hitler or when they wave signs in the air that said we should have buried Obama with Kennedy, those kinds of things are beyond the bounds," the Democrat told students at Emory University on Wednesday.

"I think people who are guilty of that kind of personal attack against Obama have been influenced to a major degree by a belief that he should not be president because he happens to be African-American," he added.

Keep Reading...

1. Susan

Candy:

President Obama never ran as the black President. Why are some in the media making him one ?????

September 18, 2009 at 9:26 pm |
  2. Barbara-Dalton

I truly hope race is not what is fueling this outrage. I would like to hear
    an honest open debate between the 2 parties but that will not happen
    because most of the GOP want to instill fear in the public and not
    honestly step aside and let the two sides discuss the pros and cons of health care. It is sad so few end up creating such havoc.

September 18, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  3. Annie Kate

In the battle over health reform and all the other bits of legislation Obama wants the GOP is playing not only the race card under the table but bringing up people's worst fears as well. I got a GOP grassroots survey to answer today. It has to be one of the most slanted surveys I have ever seen. An example of one of the questions is:

Should Republicans fight Obama's health care plan that will nationalize almost one fifth of our economy, incur trillions of dollars in new spending and debt, and begin rationing health care to the American people?

The GOP has no proof that these results will actually happen, plus they are weighting the question – if you are for one then you are against the other. The GOP has stated the question in a way to get the answer they want – good unfair surveys do not do this. This survey is just another piece of the GOP arsenal to try to manipulate events to suit their case.

September 18, 2009 at 6:39 pm |
  4. Heather,ca

I have to say this entire racial discussion is reciculous. Peoples anger has nothing to do with the protests. Its to do with fiscally irresponsibility. Policies that effect us all. Regardless of background.

I seem to recall the same protests when Bush was in office. People used the word Nazi loosely and it was and still is wrong and offensive .

Yes there are crazy people who for whatever reason other than mental illness hate our president because of the color of his skin.

I don't hate Obama or anybody. But I do think I have the right to voice my decent in a proper respectful way. I think people making sweeping generalizations about the overal motives of the many based on the actions of the few isn't fair or accurate.

September 18, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  5. Laura Cana

Hello, i'm just trying to express my opinion about some of CNN topics.
    Reguard to Health Care Reform , everybody knows we are the only ONE big power in the world, without Health Insurance or one which cost a fortune... why we are not like Europe ??? Canada ??? why not have free one ??? WE ALL NEED THAT !!!!! see the documentary SYCO !!!! it shows how other country live with health insurance .
    I hope this President Obama will do something good, LET HIM DO IT !!! let him change our live !!! for ever !!!

September 18, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  6. Milton Smith

I've upgraded already, enlightenment. I have more mind power.

September 18, 2009 at 6:13 pm |