September 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/18/09

We have breaking news. An Afghan national living in the U.S. has admitted ties to al Qaeda. Does he have ties to a possible terror plot on U.S. soil? We'll have the latest on the investigation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar • Live Blog
  1. Gisselle - Big Tex

@ Hi Adeline – well, we are African/Indigenous/French/Spanish and German, but honest to God, I don't really know where all of that is coming from...I'd really like to know where and how, where our main ancestry comes from, I'd say Africa but where in Africa?

September 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Adriana, Broomfield, CO

Good night Adriana!

I'm in Rio! 🙂

September 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  3. starr, formerly known as vncent

The end of another incredible week of fast paced news. And, as always, AC360 has been right on top of all of it.
    Thank you Anderson, Erica & Team 360 and good night. Have a great weekend, you certainly deserve it.

Good night fellow bloggers, it's been another great week of conversing with you.Wishing you all a great weekend too.

Poor Wolf Blitzer. But, watching Anderson's competitive nature is remarkably entertaining.

September 18, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good night Anderson
    Good night David (Indiana) and friends!

A great weekend for all of us – with much peace and fun!

Bye!!!!!!!!!!!

September 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Patrice Palmer

I guess Garido's little back box was on the fritz, since the people in the box didn't know he was going to be arrested. Hmmm.

September 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Rachel

Way to go on Jeopardy, Anderson, and good luck to Jason!

September 18, 2009 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good night everyone! Enjoy your weekend. Anderson, you brain, you!

September 18, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!!
    Have a great weekend!
    See you on monday!!!!!!
    Day of the shot with Wolf Blizter had game quiz tv show!!!! Nice job Wolf!!! 🙂

Anderson,
    Have a great night, good sleep at home after work!!!! See you on Monday night!!! Have a plenty sleep!

September 18, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Lori

Goodnight. Sweet dreams.

September 18, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Odinel Casseus

You get them next time Wolf

September 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Anderson, you need to take some classes to Wolf Blitzer.... 🙂

September 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Adeline

@Gisselle- That's very beautiful !!!! So you have no idea at all what your ancestry is?

September 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Emily

What a GREAT story! What a happy way to end the week! 🙂
    Congrats Malaak Compton-Rock!
    That young boy was SO PROUD! You're doing a great thing!

Wonderful story Soledad O'Brien!

Enjoy your weekend everyone!
    Love Anderson 😉 ...looks & brains!

September 18, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  14. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

He missed everything!?
    I do not believe it!

September 18, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

@Adeline, I felt a little awkward because I was only referring to my pooch, certainly not to this beautiful, friendly woman. Wasn't really sure how to respond.

September 18, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

Poor Wolfe

September 18, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Jennifer

That's great this guy was able to find out about his heritage. My dad's side is Norwegian and we have a strong identity there. My mom's side, however, is English/German where the VA courthouse burned down with a good part of our family records; it does feel a little like you are lost without knowing.

September 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  18. starr, formerly known as vncent

The story on tracing your roots was touching and facinating.

I always knew i was British & French, but only recently found out that i am part Sioux as well! And, if i can research the information enough, i qualify as a member of the Sioux Nation!

You just never know do you.

September 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  19. Gisselle - Big Tex

I'd like that DNA test myself 🙂 My family is as mixed as they come, so it would be great to know our roots, our ancestry – as we are a rainbow of colors and personalities!

September 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  20. Adriana, Broomfield, CO

When I think I saw everything already, something worst happens. How she was hidden in a wall? Between dry walls, is that it?

Hey @Isabel, where are you from? Which state? I'm Brazilian too...

September 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  21. Adeline

@Casey – I completely agree with you...roots are very important indeed

September 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  22. LisaL - Canada

that DNA testing is very interesting. i'm adopted, and have never really known anything about family heritage, medical history, religious or cultural roots, or even race. being 5'8" and fair skinned, it narrows it down, but i don't even have a family name to look up.

i'm glad the young people who got a chance to discover more about their history felt more complete and fulfilled.

September 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  23. Rachel

@Lori Me too...what's up with the black box?

September 18, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Sam(antha), Boston MA

I really enjoyed Soledad's piece. I thought that story was so sweet. I have so many questions about my roots, and it would be nice to be able to do something like that to find out about my ancestry as well.

September 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  25. starr, formerly known as vncent

@ Casey Jones – You are so right. Unfortunately, i have personal experience with a person, who temporarily lost control and caused serisou physical damage.

That momentary flare of rage can be incredibly destructive. And God help you if you are the target.

September 18, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  26. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

It' is so important for kids to understand their family roots. It's a huge and imporant learning experience. My family settled "the valley" with Brigham Young. My geneology book is like a series of encyclopedias and truly fascinating. Lots of wives (1800s) and an entire community/town of relatives sitll there. As a teenager, it drove me to learn about the Mormon faith, the book, the plates, etc., etc.... interesting.

September 18, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  27. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

@Erica – yes Aussie Shepherds are great. She's very smart, but she barks/talks all the time... Does your bark all the time? Please share any tips on to get her to be a little less talkative 🙂

September 18, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  28. Lori

It is nice to know your roots and your people. That knowledge provides satisfaction. However, I think that who your are is more important.

September 18, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Adriana, Broomfield, CO.....
    Yes. He is.

September 18, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  30. Adeline

@Anthonia – I'm partly Beninese...not too far from Nigeria...I love Nollywood, so funny sometimes...

September 18, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I do love Donavan Rogers to find/ search for his roots families years back...... He is great boy I have seen. 🙂

September 18, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  32. Adeline

@Kelly- I'm not the only ethnically mixed person who finds the term 'mutt' derogatory...I was moderting the largest mixed race forum on the net, there's anger out there about terms like these...another one I hate is 'half breed'

September 18, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  33. Adriana, Broomfield, CO

Is this Raymond Clark some sort of stalker? Is there any link between him and the girl?

September 18, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Caroline, Los Angeles

I have to run off people. Take care and have a good weekend!

September 18, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  35. Karin

The term "a person of interest" appears more the be used to satisfy the general public appetite for an instant resolution without any regard that this person in the end might be innocent. Even if the person to whom the label "person of interest" is attached to is eventually proven to be innocent, his/her reputation will forever be ruined. We, the public need to be more patient and let the police do their job.

September 18, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  36. David, Indiana

I don't understand why Raymond Clark didn't try to flee. Esp after he gave a DNA sample, it's almost like he wanted to be caught.

From the pt of vw of how police shld handle this, I couldn't put my finger on it, but what Lou Palumbo and James Alan Fox were talking about, calling Raymond Clark a person of interest, taking him into custody and releasing him (as Lou Palumbo is noting right now) was something that I wondered about. The possibility of Clark being a flight risk and suicide risk would I think be real concern.

September 18, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  37. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

@ Patty, I think Clark just worked at Yale, he didn't go there. I think that's what I heard.

September 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  38. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Starr....Scary how some just completely lose it and go over the edge.

September 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  39. ericacnn

@Kelly – my mutt is also part Aussie Shepherd! they're so sweet.

On a more serious note, so many questions still to be answered about Raymond Clark...

September 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  40. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

I am from Nigeria but born in America. I am very proud of my heritage!

September 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Patty, GV

Motive helps us as humans better understand, reconcile in our own minds so many questions relating to a crime. We like a reason, but really in so many crimes you'd have to be at the level of the criminal to make any sense, and who wants to go to those dark corners of the mind
    Goodnight AC, Erica & Team! Have a great weekend!

September 18, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

He looks to be relief. His head back in the patrol car.

September 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  43. Caroline, Los Angeles

Oh boy....Garrido and his black box and his new religion. Where is the Certified Dangerous Wacko stamp? Just stamp that right on his forehead.

September 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Lori

I can hardly wait for the black box story........It will be hard to sleep this weekend.

September 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  45. Judi

The arrest of the young man for murder is scary, as the police are saying it was workplace violence. You just don't know what some people are capable of. If there was no other reason, how do you feel safe anywhere.

September 18, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  46. starr, formerly known as vncent

Raymond Clark looked terrified in court.

However, i have to believe that the police have solid evidence (especially DNA) to charge him.

Based on the small amount we know, it was a crime of rage. It is already tragic and will be more so if this young man just "snapped out", lost control and killed a beautiful, talented young woman.

September 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Mark from Boston

I have a feeling this Annie Le case is going to be some sort of conspiracy.
    I really hope the police have it right this time, especially for the tax payer's and victim's family's sake. There's more to this story than meets the eye.

We'll see.

My condolences to the family. This is so tragic and needs to stop happening to innocent hard working people.

September 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  48. Gilby-HI

Wait this is Yale U. these are the smartist and the brightes, Right ?
    Is this guy an amimal activist?

September 18, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  49. Odinel Casseus

Hey Anderson, welcome back from war zone(Afganistan)

September 18, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  50. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

I was walking my dog once and this woman asked me what kind of dog she was.. I said she was a mutt (part Spitz, part Australian Shepherd) and she said, "that's okay, I'm a mutt too."

September 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm |