September 18th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/18/09

We have breaking news. An Afghan national living in the U.S. has admitted ties to al Qaeda. Does he have ties to a possible terror plot on U.S. soil? We'll have the latest on the investigation.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar • Live Blog
  1. Eddie

Raymond Clark is a psychopath. He can be charming when he wants to, but is capable of killing without compunction. He was attracted to Annie Le, became obsessed with her, confronted her with his feelings, was rejected, so he killed her. We need to learn much more about identifying psychopaths.

September 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Caroline, Los Angeles

@ Adeline, Yes, all these murder stories make me sad too. Sometimes I just can't hear of them any more and change the channel.

September 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Kelley

Erica was referring to the Jewish New Year

September 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  4. Peter

As an outsider (a Canadian), but following the issues for some time now I offer my view on President Carter's comments, President Obama's office, and the healthcare debate.

There is a lot of truth in what Jimmy Carter has said. Race relations have come a long way, but there is still an underlying subtext of racism, especially amongst the conservative right. Some people might not think of themselves as racist, but they still have a lot of preconceptions and belief in stereotypes of other races.

In my view President Obama is so different from a typical politician that people are not used to it. I am amazed at the depth and breadth of his knowledge, his preparation and his ability to talk rationally and with great intellect and common sense in his addresses to the American people, congress, the senate and the media. Not because he is a black man, but because he is the most intelligent President in a very long time.

Lastly on healthcare, believe me the USA needs a national healthcare program for all citizens. It's one thing the vast majority of Canadians are glad and proud to have. It's not perfect, nothing ever will be, be it's good and fair and incredibly affordable. It also hasn't stopped people from getting private healthcare if they opt for it.

Go for it America.

September 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  5. Adeline

Erica, how exactly do you celebrate Rosh Hashanah ? Just curious, always wanted to know.

September 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  6. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Mike...No, he was too busy working to watch TV!

September 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  7. emily

to think that Clark put Might have been the one that murdered by strangling that poor girl and putting her into a wall, & just before her wedding.
    SO SAD!

September 18, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  8. ericacnn

@Gady Mayen – it's the Jewish New Year (5770) – Rosh Hashanah begins at sundown.

September 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Caroline,Los Angeles

Thanks!!!! Now I Now I understood ... Happy New Year = Rosh Hashanah

September 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  10. Adeline

Jaqueline, I’m mixed ethnically too…the term ‘mutt’ is very derogative…and I’d buy your T-shirt….I find it so sad that mixed people aren’t recognized and always pigeonhold into one ethnicity or the next…

September 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse, NY

You'd think someone who could get into Yale would be smart enough to know they can track you be your cell phone. Didn't he ever watch a cop show?

September 18, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Jacqueline, NY

Erica, I always tell people I'm a mutt, too. I made T-shirts designs stating so, and people were offended. I think it's funny. They didn't sell. I still have them. Would you like one?

September 18, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Adeline

The yale murder makes me want to cry

September 18, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  14. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

So we still don't really know the extent of the relationship between Le and Clark? I guess you said we may never know motive, which is scary.

September 18, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  15. Sam(antha), Boston MA

It's so hard to look at pictures of Raymond Clark. He looks so incredibly nervous and it's hard to believe that he was capable of killing such a beautiful and intelligent young woman. I feel so badly for her and her family. I cannot imagine what it must be like to go through something like that. I wonder if we will ever know that truth of what actually happened though. This is just all so sad.

September 18, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Erica Hill CNN
    Happy New Year??????? So early!!!! I am really mutt or not! My ancestor came from Iceland, England and Norway.

September 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  17. Patty, GV

You'd think a guy from Yale would' ve covered his tracks more carefully in regards to the swipe card and cell phone. Crimes of passion of course override the smarts.

September 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  18. Marian

The 19th is Rosh Hashanah, Jewish holiday.

September 18, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  19. masako

hi, anderson. good evening.
    about the yale murder, i'm interested in what his motive was.

September 18, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  20. Caroline,Los Angeles

Happy New Year = Rosh Hashanah. It's happening tomorrow.

September 18, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  21. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

Everyone who didn't understand the New Year reference it's Rosh Hashanah

September 18, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  22. Lori

It sounds like Clark lost control of himself.

September 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Emily

Wow! ~GREAT job to the YALE Police! Excellent report from Randi Kaye & great questions from Anderson.

September 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    Yes! 5 years old boy DJ already released, He will go to treatment and surgery next few months ahead, He is really sweet boy! Me too! I am also happy!

September 18, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Erica

I confess I did not understand the Happy New Year. Explain to me, please! 🙂

September 18, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Sam(antha), Boston MA

I cannot believe the things that Ahmadinejad has been saying about the Holocaust. My International Relations teacher was talking to my class about it today and I think it is just so absurd.

September 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  27. Adeline

Erica, I love 'sweet', I could do with more sweet

September 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Lori

I wonder what his (Clark's) mother has to say about him?

September 18, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  29. Patty, GV

Go ladies! ! Mrs. Obama & Mrs. Clinton both have voices of reason, and that command respect of their opinions on this issue. Women still do bear the brunt of weight in childcare, and eldercare, and too often ignore their own health issues in favour of others.

September 18, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  30. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Julie, a national referendum on health care would be great. The latest polls show 56% opposed.

September 18, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Jacqueline, NY

September 18, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Suraj Pavawalla,
    Yes, we do listen......

September 18, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  33. ericacnn

happy friday, everyone – and for anyone celebrating tonight, happy new year! may it be especially sweet.

September 18, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Augustine Kweku

Look, everyone is proclaiming how Pres. Obama received high numbers of vote from white voters, so the stupid personal attacks on the President can only be that of policy and issues. It is a blatant lie. After voting for Obama, then request his birth certificate later? It was all racially motivated to think a black man should prove his citizenship, but all whites are considered genuine Americans.

September 18, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  35. starr, formerly known as vncent

I'm really glad to see we are getting news again out of Iran. I hope AC360 will continue to follow up on Iran, it's a very important issue.

September 18, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Hopefully we'll get some people back to work in PA soon – governor and leg leaders announced they've made a budget deal tonight, no details yet.

September 18, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Emily

racism/health care ... it's like a marriage. When there is a problem, discus something else instead of what the problem REALLY is! (or they WANT to think it is.)

Happy news about that 5yrs old DJ out of the Hospital!

September 18, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes bloggers,
    I agree with all of you, That is so scary thought!

September 18, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  39. gail

@Mike
    It's not far down on my list and it is not far down on the list of the 45,000 people a year that die because of not having it or the families that wish they had it so they would not have had to bury their loved ones. I have health insurance and give thanks to God that I have a job so that I have it. God forbid if I lose my job, I lose my health care and because of pre- existing conditions would be denied by other insurance companies. So it's at the top of my list.

September 18, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Lori

Having insurance is really important. I have had to work really hard to keep mine.

September 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  41. Randy Jacobs

There is a very easy answer to the whole question of "Is It Racism"
    If the parties that are accused DON'T do anything that could be widely interpreted as a racist action, comment or insinuation...then there won't be any reason to consider that it is an issue of racism. Just keep it clean, fair and civil on both sides.

Be as strong as you like, but be an American to another American...

September 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  42. Julie - Boston

How about a National Referendum on Health Care?

September 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  43. starr, formerly known as vncent

I was really impressed with Michele Obama's speech.

She's right, women are usually the ones handling health issues for their family (children) and for their own personal health care where there are a multitude of insurance problems for women (pregnancy, etc.)
    Great reporting by Erica!

September 18, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The first lady is a great ally of the health care reform!

September 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  45. LisaL - Canada

not pretty... like sausage making... oh that is quite funny. i think Hillary gets my vote.

September 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Martina Ilstad Germany

Whats about America big and trustful way of "its time for change"
    P,Obama in his first interwiew,he advised,he have to make clear,that he has to make decision,not everybody will understand .
    But for me he is on a good way and heath care is very importend for the American people.

September 18, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Michelle Obama is so awesome! She is a great role model for young girls.

September 18, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  48. Jennifer

There is nothing convenient about bringing up racism for the democrats. This is a frustrating distraction and seems to benefit the opponents of the health care bill by painting democrats as resorting to petty race politics. Democrats are not at their last straw, Tony; opponents hopefully can only yell ridiculous accusations for so long before the President's message will get through. Obama and his team have been trying (though not hard enough in my opinion) to explain the benefits of the bill, but opponents seem more interested in hoopla than in listening and trying to understand and arguing the cons reasonably.

September 18, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  49. Lori

Now they send in the women to do what could not otherwise be accomplished.

September 18, 2009 at 10:23 pm |