September 18th, 2009

Jobless rate tops 12% in 5 states

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/09/18/job.fair.line.jpg caption="People seeking employment line up outside a job fair in Baltimore, Maryland."]

Julianne Pepitone
CNNMoney.com staff reporter

Five states posted jobless rates above 12% in August, according to federal data released Friday.

California, Nevada and Rhode Island each hit record-high rates, the Labor Department said.

Michigan led the nation in unemployment, with a rate of 15.2%, while Nevada was next at 13.2% and Rhode Island was third at 12.8%. California and Oregon were tied for the fourth spot, each with unemployment at 12.2%.

In August, 27 states and the District of Columbia recorded month-over-month unemployment rate increases, while 16 states posted a decrease in unemployment and seven saw rates hold steady.

Keep Reading...

Filed under: 360° Radar • Economy
  1. Conserve' for USA

It's a good thing this recession is over, according to the whitehouse. I would hate to see what the unemployment numbers would be if it weren't!

September 18, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  2. Ron

Its really strange. The unemployment rate continues to rise yet my company has seen a steady decrease in job applicants for two consecutive months. Normally we have hundreds of applicants but for the past couple of months its been less than 50. I wonder why that is.

September 18, 2009 at 3:39 pm |
  3. Mike Armstrong TX.

Yep just like i said before the resecion is over For the banks and inshurance companeys but when do the people of America get to come out of the resecion isnt that being discriminating.

September 18, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  4. earle,florida

The country cannot stand still, and watch unemployment going up to 15% nationally,without at least implimenting new programs! The stimulus money has vey little funding for infrastructure,period! It amazes me that we can't build high-speed rail lines that run parallel to our interstate highways throughout the country. This country should,and could have rail transportation to accomodate 30%-40% of our population to anywhere in the United States, Secondly,why not bring back short-line rails to inner cities. Finally to prove my point,just two months ago there was a tragic commuter rail crash in Virginia,wher the rail-cars were dated back a quarter century,and that not just Virginia,but in every state. What are these people doing with the funding to improve,and replenish the upgrading?Please don't dare blame Amtrak! Sorry to go off on a tangent,but let's start using some,"yankee ingenuity"folks!

September 18, 2009 at 3:00 pm |
  5. DeLia CA

I agree @Amazing! Not to mention the"under employed": Those who are working below their qualifications and/or potential just to put food on the table and pay a mortgage. I'm sort of surprised that the level hasn't stabilized somewhat. I know seasonal workers, like people in education, who file for unemployment during the summer months and then go back to work in the fall. That's the position I'm in and can't seem to find a job in education. I've decided to go back to school and "re-invent" myself in hopes of making myself more marketable, but what do I do in the meantime? I don't have the luxury of being part of a two income family. It's interesting that they say the recession is over when CA may declare bankruptcy in 8 months!! And how about those farmers in the central valley where unemployment is running around 15%?

September 18, 2009 at 1:54 pm |
  6. Amazing

12% is only the official number, it does NOT take into account those who have given up trying to find a job and those that are working less hours. All this after Obamas sky is falling threat and promise upon passing the stimulus flop that unemployment wouldn't go above 8%. You don't hear him saying much on that these days. Now they are trying to declare the recession over due to their pork filled failure. Unfortunately the policies of the Obama administration will send more jobs over seas for good and the recovery that should have taken place by now will be stalled.

September 18, 2009 at 1:03 pm |
  7. Deb

I believe it. I'm a college student and I work as a retail cashier at the same store for the last 2 years. The only reason I haven't quit is I know I wouldn't be able to find another job that I'm qualified for until I get further with my degree. I tried to find a second part-time job during the summer. I filled out applications at every retailer in the city I live in. Only 5 of them were hiring. I put in applications at 3 different employment agencies and I got NOTHING. Hopefully, in a year or so I will be able to get a paid internship and maybe I could leave my $8/hr retail job.

September 18, 2009 at 12:20 pm |