September 18th, 2009
  1. mystory

There are so many ways in which health insurance does affect everyone. While we may not feel it personally, it can strike any of us or our families at any time. My story is about my mother, who died of cancer last November at age 62 (I was 29, my sister 23). My mother had prioritized funding her business over funding her health and therefore, did not receive annual physicals/screenings... If she had had health insurance, her cancer might have been caught earlier and she might still be alive today. When President Obama talks about health insurance saving lives, it's not an exaggeration. When he talks about the importance of health insurance for every American, he isn't just talking about people who may be lazy, he's talking about hard-working people like my mom. People who value the conservative traditions of working hard and self-sufficiency. As Sen. Tom Harkin says, we all believe in pulling ourselves up by the boot straps, but first, we have to have the boots! It's time we make sure everyone has boots.

September 19, 2009 at 9:55 am |
  2. Mae Oldham

For once in the history of this country we the people need to take charge of the health care issue and demand a national ballot for the single payer health care system, and stop allowing the politicians to tell what is best for us, when the only concern that they have is their political future

It's a international disgrace that the richest country in the world won't take care of their people.

September 18, 2009 at 11:28 pm |
  3. Larry

You should interview the people at her Chicago Hospital, where she got a healthy pay increase when Barack became the state's health boss, and how terribly people were treated on her watch.

September 18, 2009 at 9:30 pm |
  4. alexlyrics

Mrs. Obama spoke with such grace, and was so sincere with her speech, it was totally perfect.
    I don't know now who is better at speaking to the public, he , or her husband the president. Both of them are excellent at speeches.
    Right on Mrs. Obama.

September 18, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  5. Sheila

I think her speech is great. She is talking to people who know what is like not to have health insurance, or have health insurance that is not any good! All the Americans who are against health insurance need to stop and think what it be like if they did not have it, or are too old to get it, or who have pre-existing conditions, or have to worry if their children got ill and they could not take them to the doctor! Or how about – if you don't have insuance doctors will not treat you. My son had a motorcyle accident and while on the ground the paramedics are asking about his insuance! We have been self-employed for 20 years, bought MAJOR MEDICAL, and we rarely went to the doctor because we were afraid we may lose our insurance – if they found something wrong. Americans should not have to live in fear of getting ill. We deserve better. We deserve to feel safe in this country, and not let our health or peace of mind to be tied to our employment!

September 18, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  6. Conserve' for USA

The president must be getting scared if he is bringing out the big guns to help him!

September 18, 2009 at 7:28 pm |
  7. Annie Kate

How anyone could listen to Michelle tell about those episodes in her life and not agree with her that health care reform is necessary for all has to have just not listened to her or is stubborn to a fault. I've had many times in my life that I was grateful for the insurance we had – because otherwise some of my family would not be here today.

September 18, 2009 at 7:27 pm |