September 18th, 2009

Does He Lie?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/09/18/obama.at.podium.jpg]

Charles Krauthammer
Washington Post Op-Ed

You lie? No. Barack Obama doesn't lie. He's too subtle for that. He . . . well, you judge.

Herewith three examples within a single speech - the now-famous Obama-Wilson "you lie" address to Congress on health care - of Obama's relationship with truth.

(1) "I will not sign a plan that adds one dime to our deficits - either now or in the future," he solemnly pledged. "I will not sign it if it adds one dime to the deficit, now or in the future. Period."

Wonderful. The president seems serious, veto-ready, determined to hold the line. Until, notes Harvard economist Greg Mankiw, you get to Obama's very next sentence: "And to prove that I'm serious, there will be a provision in this plan that requires us to come forward with more spending cuts if the savings we promised don't materialize."

Read More...

1. Larry

Maybe he can blame his speechwriters, yeah that's the ticket.

September 18, 2009 at 9:33 pm |
  2. Milton Smith

Lies is a matter of perspective. 360 have ever heard of the story of rasputin, i once got on an atv and went through barbed wire at age 11 to see if i can gain absolute power. i survived with a scare on my neck. what i saw and how hard is was and how much pain there was as i attempted to get up out os the lights presence seing my body over head and seeing all my life collections at my side entering my body from behind where theres a big ball of bone on the back of my head was infinite. i slept an eternity and felt it. thank you light in front of me thank you.

September 18, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  3. Maryam

He is too smart to lie for such a important issue while the whole world is watching him....

September 18, 2009 at 6:29 pm |
  4. Lampe

Maybe he doesn't LIE? Maybe he is just confused, and he's not sure of which paln he's talking about?

September 18, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  5. Jim

How can you tell if a Politician's Lieing? their lips are moving!

September 18, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  6. ken

I don't believe a word he says! So when he is on tv I turn the station. It's too bad that our political leaders just can't speak the plain truth anymore. They speak in a way that is an illusion. I think the power and their political careers will be in jeopardy if they just speak plainly.

September 18, 2009 at 3:35 pm |
  7. Tony

what is a lie to a president. They don't lie do they?????

September 18, 2009 at 3:19 pm |
  8. earle,florida

My hats off to you, sir. We,... as a viable society usually back up rhetoric with somekind of tangible results as in the past. It seems our country has lost it's history in the moment of unredeemed deception that has manifested into a gilded age of forbearance via culpability. Shame on our politicians,...! Great read Mr. Krauthammer

September 18, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  9. Jack

The Dems should have allowed the Republicans to require proof of citizenship before one could get access to healthcare. Imagine having to find your passport before going to the emergency room. Or even the internist. The backlash would have been extraordinary.

September 18, 2009 at 2:05 pm |
  10. Melissa

Yet another obvious Republican twisting the Presidents words, and making them seem what they aren't, so they can bash him. I'm getting really sick of this.

September 18, 2009 at 1:58 pm |
  11. Heather,ca

He's a politician. They always lie.

September 18, 2009 at 1:50 pm |
  12. Beatrice

Obama does't lie, he does not mislead...!!!!???. Another attempt to
    make Obama looks suspicious I guess.
    He is trying to bring health insurance to people who don't have any! The immorality falls on the side of the one who don' t care for other American's well being! American don't know how to live under the same roof. Where is the "United We Stand" slogan? Where is the "love for my neighbor?"
    I feel for the people who are suffering right now because of lack of Health Insurance... I don't understand it! What has been allowed with the health insurances (dropping people with preexisting conditions) is immoral and goes against American values! People are dying because of lack of Health Insurance in this country, so please enough of this twisting of Obama's message!

September 18, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  13. Enough

Does he breathe? Yes, and it can be proven over and over by playing his own words, but people are so naive and hopeful that they are willing to overlook them, hoping to get part of what he promises.

September 18, 2009 at 1:20 pm |