September 17th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk: 9/17/09

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi gets emotional on Capitol Hill. We'll have the raw politics. Plus, we take you inside the Garrido home where police say Jaycee Dugard had to live for 18 years. Meanwhile, investigators say cadaver dogs may have found remains on the Garrido property.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar • Live Blog
  1. Neela

Raymond Clark profile not unusal, common of perpetrators of domestic violence as well, control issues, low self-esteem, fragile ego, can't control anger if feels offended or not able to control situation.

September 17, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse, NY

So they stopped this project, but how many equally wasteful are going on? No one knows because the Administration and Congress aren't providing oversight; the very thing they criticized Bush for on TARP.

September 17, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

Is Sec Napolitano coming out to Montana to personally review the project? Does she plan to be in touch w/ Montana legislators?

September 17, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  4. johnny boy

When are we gonna wake up and stop this waste of our money

September 17, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Remember when Al Gore did the review of government spending and we paid $600 for a toilet seat?

September 17, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  6. Mike,Iowa

Like we should be surised that that money isnt going to anything meaningful... Government officials dont have to suffer so why sould they care...

September 17, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  7. Dr. Eileen Jackson

It only takes one car with a terrorist driver to pass a border crossing that is virtually empty to do a hell of alot of damage.

September 17, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Caroline, Los Angeles

Yes, we are a bit of a wasteful society aren't we?

September 17, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

This border crossing story is unbelievable. Napolitano was right to put the kibosh on this. Maybe this is one of those if you build it they will come, because no one's coming through there right now.

September 17, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  10. starr, formerly known as vncent

What an excellent report by Drew.

Why can't government (Stare or Federal) keep track of where the stimulus money goes. It can't be that hard.

It's another outrage and certainly contributes to mistrust of the government (stae & federal).

September 17, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The problem is that for the first time those who pay taxes are outnumbered by those who don't. It's too easy for the majority to spend other people's money.

September 17, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  12. Patty

The Montana spending is an example of why all Americans don't have healthcare.

Waste.

September 17, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  13. ericacnn

drew's piece is wild! that much $ for three people?! oy

September 17, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Nicole Bardales, La Ceiba, Honduras, CA

Stimulus Shame?
    I find truly interesting and weird that so much money is being used on those "remote checkpoints" and honestly I don't see where they could spend ALL that money! Sitting in the middle of the road, in the middle of the day added more drama to the situation. My opinion.

September 17, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  15. John

I'm not so fast to convict as some people here. Let's wait and see what develops.

September 17, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

This story of the boarder crossing just shows the tip of the iceberg of pork in the stimulus. It was rushed, and it's a mess wasting $800 billion. A lesson for health care if we choose to learn it.

September 17, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  17. David, Indiana

Erica, Quality Time or Quiet Time with Emily Post? Or both? Good pt.

Given how beautiful Annie Le is, I would imagine that Raymond Clark was overwhelmingly attracted to her. That is speculation of course, and he is innocent until proven guilty, but that seems like a higly possible.

One thing I notice is that even with all those cameras, it's a very isolate place.

September 17, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  18. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

I've been doing a lot of driving around PA lately, and surprised how little highway construction there has been. I'd expect with the stimulus to see even more Penn DOT workers out there than usual, but there are way less. We've had a budget stalemate for 2 1/2 months which might have something to do with it, but not sure.

Pittsburgh does have a lot of roadwork being done... probably getting ready for the G20 next week.

September 17, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

People taking advantage of "free" money ... what a shock

September 17, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I don't buy the 'more violent society' line. I remember the race riots in the 60's, the very violent anti-war protests, and the ultimate threat to our country....disco.

September 17, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Karin

If the Republican Party for once would stand up and call these people out that display extreme hateful signs or verbally make remarks that could be interpreted as racial, making clear they do not want be associated with them, they might regain some respect from people who want to believe they are not like them.

September 17, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Cessy, Chicago

On Anne Le story... This is really disturbing. I agree that if he was able to put his hands on Anne Le, he obvioulsy have a lot of anger inside for him to snap like that. More to be revealed, I guess.... My prayers for Anne Le's family and to his fiancee`.

September 17, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  23. Lori

I see a lot of bulleying at work. Someone I once interviewed had been fired from his last job for punching his boss on a job site in the field.

September 17, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Caroline, Los Angeles

I saw the pictures of the Garrido home online. It's just as creepy as I thought it would be.

September 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  25. Nicole Bardales, La Ceiba, Honduras, CA

Rhonda Saunders: thanks for proving the world that a person may express his/her opinion without altering evidence.
    Lisa Bloom: I'm glad you're also expressing your opinion, this way the act does not stay only on one point of view and we are able to analyze this topic better.
    In my personal opinion, I agree with Lisa, but it also has to be labeled as Workplace violence because it occurred at the workplace.

September 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  26. starr, formerly known as vncent

I don't know what workplace violence really means. But, clearly this crime against Annie Le was a crime of rage for whatever reason.

I too feel that there is much more to this story than workplace violence.

September 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  27. John

Something about his work and an email to her about her work and she said she would do better...was she dismissive? It does not matter that he was in charge of the cages and animals, that is his job no less important than her studies. We shall wait and see what devolops. Tragic all the way around.

September 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  28. Michelle B in Los Angeles

"A more violent society" made me crindge ,but it does appear to be true.
    Can we do anything to turn things around? Shooting/killings in the work place, road rage, neighbors harboring kidnapped kids and no one notices for years, and on and on....

As Marvin Gay sung ' whats going on?

September 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  29. Mark Spencer

Comment to Danielle, she knows he was hiding something because of the facts that have come out. I think they call it Monday morning quarterbacking which means it is easy to see something you missed after all the facts are out.

September 17, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  30. Jacqueline, NY

Maybe he didn't like her.

September 17, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  31. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I strongly agree with Lisa Bloom's analysis of the situation.

September 17, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Patty

@JOHN
    She's the victim.

September 17, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  33. Lori

It is an unusual setting for work.

September 17, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  34. Caroline, Los Angeles

Yes, I'm suspecting what Lisa said. But we don't know yet.

September 17, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

My heart goes to Annie Le's families, friends, College of Yale.......... 😦

September 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Caroline, Los Angeles

Has anyone here experienced workplace violence? I have, but I taught in the inner city schools. There it is tragically accepted as par for the course.

September 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  37. nicole l

$3 million for bail...that's a lot. if this guy did kill Annia Le, I hope he would just confess and let people grieve

September 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  38. Paula

Needless to say I am a African American, and I tell you again, I havent face the kind of racism that I expereinced at the healh care forum snice the fight for civil rights in the 60's. Denial is dangerous and it wont work. The whole world is watching.

September 17, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  39. Danielle - Long Beach, CA

This lady says he did a good job of hiding his nervousness, if he did such a great job how did she know he was hiding anything. It seems like anyone remotely associated with the victim and the accused are trying to get on TV.

September 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Cervantes Imp. Beach CA

Clark has some relatives working in the same place,he was like the Captain of the cages"

September 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  41. John

Yeah and everybody always says "him him him" what do we know about her?

September 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  42. Teresa

Maybe he wasn't hiding being nervous maybe he just didn't care
    This is a cold and frightening case.

September 17, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  43. John

Why are the rooms soundproof?? WhY do they need that?

September 17, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  44. Bharat

How terrifying for someone's dream and life getting vanished on the day she wanted to start her new life? Not sure why we as humans have become destroyer of our own kind. What do people really get when they kill someone? Can they really live at peace?

September 17, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am glad he arrested by police and charged for murder of Anne Le of Yale.

September 17, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  46. Jane - Vt

I think all this is going to backfire on the republicans. The people with the signs and hateful signs are outnumbered by those of us watching. I just wish they would stop it because it scares me that some nut is going to try something terrible.

September 17, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  47. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

She seemed to be a girl so full of life and vivacity (for these photos).

September 17, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  48. .Regina Bruce

Dear Anderson,

Those who carry signs, photos, and nasty slogans denigrating the president of the United States are racists! The Supreme Court said
    it best ..."You Know it when you see it" This is scary.

September 17, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  49. Renee

@ Erica: One of the networks is running PSA about manners! I can not believe it.

September 17, 2009 at 10:32 pm |