September 17th, 2009

Sound Off: Your comments 9/16/09

Editor's Note: The same two topics that drew response from many of you following Tuesday night’s AC360°, remained talked about issues following the program on Wednesday. Some of you responded with strong opinions regarding the idea that racism is fueling opposition to President Obama’s plans for America. The medical malpractice series also continued to draw feedback, with the majority of you expressing gratitude for the “serious and accurate” reports. Here are a selected few of the responses from some of you. Is your comment there? If not, we’d like to invite you to share your thoughts here:

------------------------------------------------–

I agree with President Carter. The three key spokespersons for Republicans (Limbaugh, Beck and Hannity) have been on the race issue since before the election. I'm assuming the majority of people In Washington on Saturday were there because of these three guys. This trio has done more to divide this country than anybody else and despite that, you guys keep covering them.

What planet are your guests on? It is NOT a race issue; it is a matter of political agendas….

I am a white middle aged, middle class woman who is appalled by the overt and veiled racism that I see on the news and also that I see and hear in my everyday life. Kudos to President Carter for standing up and speaking out. More people need to speak out about this and combat this racism.

I am a white female who voted for Obama. I am not happy with some of the decisions. I applaud his efforts to bring about healthcare reform…….but do NOT agree with the billions and billions of dollars he’s thrown out to many agencies and businesses. My feelings have nothing to do with his race but I admit I feel fearful of offending black friends if I criticize him. This fear didn’t exist when we all disagreed with former president Bush (who was white). Doesn’t this say something important?

As a practicing gynecologist I was blown away at your very accurate presentation tonight about the malpractice situation. I stopped delivering babies 10 years ago for exactly the reasons you presented, as did many of my colleagues. Thank you for finally presenting the truth. I hope the public gets it!

Filed under: Behind The Scenes
  1. darlene

Anderson, I love you dearly but....right after a discussion on your show of the murder of Suzanne Jovin at Yale some years ago where it was noted that James Van de Velde was vilified and his career basically ruined, you and your colleague went on to basically do the same with Mr. Clark. I realize he has now been charged but he hadn't been as of yesterday and presumed innocent. CNN and other media have gone on and on about this man and if it were proved that he, by some stretch of imagination, were to be innocent, I think he would be in the same predicament as Mr. Van de Velde. Why does the media do so much speculating? What happened to the Walter Cronkite example.

September 17, 2009 at 4:05 pm |
  2. Conserve' in USA

I think president carter is an idiot, even though I voted for him.
    Congress and the senate need caps put on their personal spending. They can tell us to cut back our heating and cooling. They tell us to drive pop cans. They tell us we have to save and conserve.
    They take overseas trips costing taxpayers thousands upon thousands of dollars. They drive around in their limosines and suv's. Nancy pelosi flys back and forth fron california in a 200 passenger jet. This is all on our dollar. It's time they cut back. They are not our bosses, they are our representatives. It's time they get back to representing and stop acting like CEO's.

September 17, 2009 at 3:38 pm |
  3. SandraWI

I'm really sick of people like Glen Beck calling the President racist and Rush Limbaugh making false statements that white kids are being beaten up by black kids in Obama's America, last I heard this was all of our America and those kids that were fighting weren't fighting about race, it was about a seat on at bus. This is who's playing the race card. As a person of color I will not stand quitely by while Fox news and the Limbaugh's of the world tell lies against my race. If your tired of the race card being played, call Rush and tell him to stop it. Boycott Beck until he focuses on something other than President Obama's supposed dislike of white people which is stupid because his mom's white, his grand parents are white, he has white blood in him. Duh.

September 17, 2009 at 3:28 pm |
  4. Stephen-Phoenix, AZ

Not that it's a surprise.....but CNN, as a good foot soldier for the Democratic Party, is burying the ACORN scandal, that is becoming one of the biggest problems for this administration.
    Keep up the " good " work.....
    Your credibility as an impartial news organization is long gone....
    Stephen

September 17, 2009 at 2:36 pm |
  5. Ilona, Tempe, AZ

I like the fact you are addressing the issue of racism on your show.
    It's been ignited by the far right to keep the country divided.
    It's ugly stuff and I'm sure a lot of the viewers would rather not see or hear about it. I commend you for discusing it 3 nights in a row.
    You should point out how well Obabma seems to handle the issue, in order not to distract not from his agenda.

September 17, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  6. ids

It is not that every protester is racist or every protest is because of race. It is the kind of protesting we are seeing, the hateful signs, the pictures, the cartoons etc,. Never has the Presidency been disrespected so much. What is different about President Obama that it is OK to behave in this way?
    I won't even comment about what the the right wing radio & TV hosts, are propogating. That would be superflous!
    I also think that the enormous amount of exposure the main cable networks (including CNN) gives these protesters, encourages them to display progressively worse behavior.
    We saw the extreme left protest against President Bush in similar fashion, but we did not see it until he was well into his term and even then it was hardly shown on CNN – so those protests remained fringe protests that we were barely aware of and not shoved in our faces day after day.
    People can disagree about what President Obama is doing and protest that – but the intensity and the hatred emenating at these meetings/protests smacks of more than merely disagreement.
    I am disappointed that Cable news feels that reporting the news means, inviting guests with opposing views and having them yell at each other or say outrageous things.
    The anchors sit by without comment or asking probing questions and the so called experts make outrageous, inaccurate statements and get away with it. This is why people believe things that do not exist and feel free to call the President names.
    I only saw one journalist on CNN, analyzing what Joe Wilson said and showing what the President said. He also gave some relevant background about Joe Wilson. Everyone else gave Joe Wilson a pass by saying that there are many versions of legistlation floating around or making excuses tha the legistlation was not specific enough. So people take away the impression that the Presidnet is a liar and Joe Wilson was truthful!
    Where is the reporting from CNN, where correspondents & anchors do some independent reasearch and present us the facts?
    We don't learn anything from partisans on both sides who keep yelling at each other, embelishing the news or givng out half truths.
    I am so sick of watching the so called 'news' that is dished out to us today

September 17, 2009 at 1:38 pm |
  7. Ann -Grand Rapids, MI

I am sympathetic to people who feel that they are discriminated upon based on anything that sets them apart or in the minority category. However, I feel that the race issue is used too often in this country when people don't get their way or feel wronged. There can be many reasons why things don't work out other than people being racists. As a woman, and a victim of violent crime, I don't call all men sexist when things don't go my way. Our world has an abundance of serious issues and we are not coming together as one people to solve them. It is terribly sad to me.

September 17, 2009 at 1:29 pm |
  8. Angela Gibson

The democrats have continuously turned down any admendments the Republicans have submitted to enforce illegal aliens from receiving healthcare. Just because it says that no illegal aliens can receive benefits does not mean that they won't. They are not supposed to have Driver's License and SS cards but they get them. They are already here, getting work, having babies, getting medical attention etc. I think that Wilson honestly was frustrated and fed up and it was a reaction that happened before he knew it did.

I did not see anyone raising cane when Pelosi was callin us Americans "nazi americans" and "unamerican" because some of us are choosing to voice our opinions.

And if Obama was white would it have been racist when he called Kanye West a Jacka**, But that was ok because it was one black man to another black man.

I think it is about time that people get over themselves and face the facts that this is NOT a racist country anymore. I am sure that some whites do not like some blacks, but the same is true as some whites do not like some whites.

Christianity has been continuously removed from our country and people are scared and are finally standing up for themselves more so than in the past. If we had continued to do this over the past 75 years we would not be where we are now. So, it is NOT about racism but its about being tired of the government slowly taking away our constitutional rights.

September 17, 2009 at 12:57 pm |
  9. DJ

Good Obama, you know where your support is, young, enlightened, open minded, honesty, and more responsible for the future of this nations, these are young adults. We see things and future in a brighter ways and we support you, no old politics. We are glad that you touched our hearts and minds. You give us energy, leadership, hope and assurance that we can make a difference to all peoples. It is about time we take charge of the future of this nation and move forward. Forget about old scary tactics, we are “fired up and ready to go”. Amen.

September 17, 2009 at 12:27 pm |
  10. Mike

Republicans have started an insurgent war of chaos. The goal is to disrupt anything the Dems want to have passed so as to show they haven't done anything since taking over Congress. It is very simple. It is the midterm elections that Reps are targeting with these efforts. Obama took on too much at the wrong time. Repeated the Clinton mistakes.

September 17, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  11. Emma C. Ornburn

The only time I hear the race card brougt up is from the Democrats. CNN used to be the only network I watched. I now watch only Fox as they report, I decide. You people are like the Democrats, you think you can decide for us, well it is just not so. It is time all journalists start reporting the truth and stop wollering in your adoration of this Administration which is bringing our country down. You realize you will go down too don't you or are you thinking because of how you side with them that you will somehow be exempt? This is the saddest excuse for an Administration of the United States I have ever witnessed in my lifetime. Good luck, I am back to Fox for the real news.

September 17, 2009 at 11:47 am |
  12. Susie

It is racism from the extreme conservatives. What with their "I want my country back" talk and the obsene signs they carry.

If it isn't racism, it gives that impression.

my opinion

September 17, 2009 at 11:45 am |
  13. Tyrone, New York City

Steele and Elder are a disgrace! Their heads are up their ‘you-know-whats’! Elder constantly tells the story of how his father lived through discrimination and ‘Jim Crow’. How pathetic he is! If his father could see him now he’d probably turn over in his grave (if he passed). Steele is just a total moron; there’s no hope for either one of them. From the beginning of slavery there have always been captured slaves who’ve been so whipped and brainwashed into submission to a point where they would betray and report runaway slaves to their master in order to save their own hides. Like Clarence Thomas, they’ve sold their souls to the demonic side (the Republican party) for money and power.

September 17, 2009 at 11:28 am |
  14. ann marie

I'm really sick of the race card that is being pushed down our throats. Please keep in mind that the reason he was elected is because whites voted for him. African Americans did not have enough votes.I cannot believe that in this day and age we're still playing these games.
    The way I run my life is that there's bad and good in any race, nationality etc. In addition I would like to say that I'm a firm opposer of Affirmative Action it gives the impression that people do not have the smarts to make it on their own. I came to this country legally when I was eleven and made it totally on my own even though I had to learn the language from scratch and lived in a bad neighborhood. No special classes, teachers, or governmenr help." Acorn" surely wasn't there to help us. I raised 2 daughters that gratuated college and made it totally on their own. Please let stop this nonsense and bring this country back to what it was. Handouts, make people lazy.
    Regards,