September 16th, 2009
  1. MAC

As a sports fan I have seen many instances of "acting out" during games. At the highest level of sport the athelete is extremely focused on their game, emotions run so high, occasionally there's an explosion of emotions.

The girl apologized, I for one accept it. She's human. I've yelled at people too, I bet we all have.

September 16, 2009 at 4:23 pm |
  2. marg

There's no doubt Serena and her sister Venus are absolutely a couple of the best athletes of their time, but I still say this behavior is totally unacceptable. There are many athletes that have been reprimanded, fined and suspended for their bad behavior and I think Serena should be more disciplined than she was for her's. I think because she IS a woman, is why she is getting away as easily as she is. Her so-called apology was not an apology.......Puhleeze!

September 16, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  3. TJ

Oh please. Mcenroe said worse routinely. Roger just told the chair he didn't give a "s**t". Were Serena a man no one would even be talking about this still. Was it bad yes, are you blowing it out of proportion with terms like "diva" (does that make the men "divos"?) YES! Let's move on. Guess what female athletes are just as passionaite as the men and sometimes things happen on the court. Let it go. As far as the tennis world, many have hated Serena and Venus since the first day they saw them and were just waiting for an incident like this to excuse their blind hatred that is based on.... well I think President Carter said it best.

September 16, 2009 at 12:46 pm |
  4. NB

Maybe I'm just not a big enough hypocrite to agree with the previous post but I think she has handled herself well. Everybody gets mad at some point and even may have an outburst that in hindsight they will learn from. She is still one of the greatest athletes in the world today.

September 16, 2009 at 12:26 pm |
  5. MM

She said any athlete can relate but I don't agree. There are plenty before her and plenty to come that don't use the F-word on a call. If you are a professonal, act like one. I don't think that was an apology. She justified her actions. That is not sorry. Between Kanye West, Serena Williams and Rep. Joe Wilson, does any one remember what class is anymore?!

September 16, 2009 at 12:11 pm |
  6. Jessica

Once again...bad behavior in the center of the media! We devote too much time to this. Not only should she be fined, she should have been benched for the rest of the year to send a message home. This is unacceptable behavior! This Diva needs to be put in her place just as K West needs to..when you start closing doors on them, they will adjust their behavior and conform or they just go away....

September 16, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  7. DD

What does her having to be a Jehovah's Witness have to with it? She was caught up in the moment and made an outburst. We have all done it in our lives. She said she apologized and I believe her. I don't think she needs to keep publicly apologizing.

September 16, 2009 at 11:31 am |
  8. marg

Wow! That is NOT an apology. That is a cop-out or a justification, if you will, for an awful tirade that is not excusable. She thinks it's normal to act this way, and it is not. One other thing, which to me, is the most important aspect here. Serena Williams is a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses! Come on! Either she is a huge hiprocate or the organzation itself is one! Completely unacceptable!

September 16, 2009 at 10:49 am |