September 16th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/16/09

Police have found bones on the property of Phillip Garrido.  They've been searching his home looking for evidence in the disappearance of two more girls. He has pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnapping Jaycee Dugard and holding her for 18 years. She has been reunited with her family. We'll have these new developments. Plus, are police closing in on a suspect in the murder of Yale grad student Annie Le?

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sharon, Fayette, MS

Hello Anderson,
    I agree with President Carter. There is a minority of people that are still racist, but i think right now we should be focusing on health care for all people.

September 16, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  2. @taipeidman

YALE murder – Crime of Passion,
    'He' who ever 'HE' is – wanted Her and She was going to get married... REDRUM....

September 16, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Strangulation is such a "personal" and violent way to murder someone. It had to be someone she knew.

September 16, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Mike Armstrong TX.

This crime had something to do with animals but they were in human form .

September 16, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Anthonia-Bay Area

Good Evening Everyone!!

Annie Le's murderer needs to come to justice!
    may her soul rest in perfect peace!

September 16, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Edith

I think the posters carried by a few of the Tea demonstrators testifies to their racism and not to any opposition to policy issues. It is the obligation of organizers to keep the demonstrators on point. Yes, there is free speech, but why does it have to display such a lack of respect for the office of the President? Protesters should be careful that the vicious few calm the movement and discredit it..

September 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@David Gergen, good point about the 7 Presidents and health care. Another point is that President Obama's popularity was 70% when inaugurated, and is now abut 50%. His race hasn't changed.

September 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  8. Lori

Someone could have easily strangled her from behind as well.

September 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Mike, Syracuse....George Bush was called names like "Nazi," because he refused to support legislation acknowledging people's Consitutional rights, a mirror to Hitler's opression of certain groups of people. There is a direct connection to this particular name-calling, it's not just pulled out of thin air.

September 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Person of interest" means until they a hard evidence to nail.

September 16, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  11. June

Great discussion between Legend, Gergen and the others. It was encouraging to see a diverse group of people expressing contrary options without talking over each other and discounting the right we each have to varying viewpoints. Reporters, analysts and congress should take note and follow their lead. Afterall, you set the tone for much of America to observe and follow.

September 16, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Brett R

Are the Tea Parties about Racism? Absolutely- but it's much more complicated than the race of our President. I, as do many folks in the social justice arena define racism as much more than overt actions of individuals. Racism is a system that touches all of us based on the principles of power, privilege, and oppression. In our society, whites receive un-earned privileges based on this system. Many of the whites attending these tea parties (and I don't see any people of color in attendance) see Obama and his policies as a threat to the status quo, and therefore a threat to their privilege. This leads to fear, anger, and the rallies that we are currently seeing.

September 16, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Ruth

Why is it so hard to talk about racism? Why is it that a lot of the media is pretending that the Tea Party protests and the organizers are not about racism? Finally an important , respectable and knowledgeable ex-political figure has the courage to speak the truth.
    Bravo president Carter! I am proud of you.
    It is not wrong to talk about racism. I think the more we talk the better; it is therapy for all those scared angry people.

September 16, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  14. JudithR

The solution for these sexual predators is not prision because it doesn't work...but to have them castrated ... it destroys people lives which is just like murder

September 16, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  15. Sabrina in Los Angeles

I bet he is not the only one under surveillance.

So sad what became of her.

September 16, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  16. Eugenia - San Francisco

My god the show is volatile this evening, I swear it seems like everyone has lost their minds! Poor David, he had so much more to say.

September 16, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Maureen

Rush Limbaugh is really not a main stream conservative and doesn't represent the people that were in DC on the 12th. I for one have issues with the health plan and the public option, not the idea of reform. I'm angry, but not a racist. I would vote for JC Watts anytime!!

September 16, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Jacqueline, NY

Hey I believe that women. An employer did that to me once. I had direct deposit and they paid me twice in one week. I called them immediately and they refused to believe that they could do something like that. They told me maybe someone I know gave me some money. Go figure.

Anyway, after they looked in to the matter, called me and tried to make me out to be the bad guy.

September 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  19. Linda Washington

I just watched the clip regarding the statement on racism by former President Carter and wanted to comment about how CNN has responded.

Anderson Cooper is saying that we should work together and erase racism. My problem with Anderson is that when a subject like this comes up and it deals with African Americans, the majority of the guest are African American. There is always one that has an opposite view and it puts race against race. How can you continue to put race aagainst race and expect people to come together?

September 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Fay - California

It would be helpful if more of the reasonable, non-racist people in this country who supported President Obama and want Health Care Reform be heard from as much as the Tea Party participants–so much focus on the "fringe" element within teabagger movement gives a false impression that a large majority of Americans share their feelings when clearly it isn't true.

September 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Karen

Anderson,

If the TEA party is so legitimate where were all the black people like Nic Lott with all these concerns?

September 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Mike Armstrong TX.

Hi Erica ill try to be good .

September 16, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  23. Billy

Personally, I think that images of many of the protesters that are broadcast in the news would, or should be, censored or rated R – NC17 if they were in a movie. I don't want my children being influenced by such blasphemy, negativity, bigotry and irrational behavior.

September 16, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  24. LorenaR

Grieving over the loss of Mary Travers. I know many will remember how incredibly inspiring the music of Peter Paul and Mary was. they were human, humane, compassionate people who sang with a social conscience and always were on the side of the underdog, the oppressed, those who did not have voices of their own. What kind of music do we have today that equals theirs in their time? RIP Mary Travers

September 16, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  25. David Gergen

Hello everyone - Thanks for listening tonight and for joining in the conversation here. It was good to have John Legend on tonight - a fresh voice.

I must say that I am surprised how many of you believe that Jimmy Carter is right. as you could hear, I believe that we continue to have racists among us but they are mostly on the fringes now - the extremists (and yes, they hold up really ugly signs against the President ) - but I believe that as a people we have made great racial progress in recent decades and the vast majority of Americans have left racism behind. And to those Americans who have emerged into the sunlight and yet oppose this health care reform for one reason or another, it is unfair to call them racists because of their opposition. Let's have our debates on the high ground befitting a great nation.

September 16, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  26. David, Indiana

Good evening Everyone. Great panel discussion. I respect President Carter's remarks but I too feel the discussion on racism and prejudice, though important, is a complete distraction from the debate on HealthCare Reform.

September 16, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  27. Lori, IL

I am so sad at what that our national discussion has been concentrated on racism. While I will be first to acknowledge that it exists - it's sad to see that the health care discussion has been hijacked by extremists and the press no longer seems to be covering the healthcare discussion. This is exactly what the Tea Party Express was hoping for....

September 16, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  28. Heather - Spokane, WA

29,000.00 is a very good tip! She must be good at her job

September 16, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  29. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Either that guy really didn't know about the terrorist connection or he did and is playing dumb really well.

I know people who have Israeli friends and you find out later that they were here beyond the visa time....they usually went back by the time you realize it though.

September 16, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  30. niwat, Chicago

Hi AC, EH and AC360 teamcasts and bloggers.

Of course, it is going to be a long way about skin color with President Obama,especially, Barack had campaigned himself to be the first African-American President, once elected. I do not think congressman Wilson's disrespectful criticism during the speech was a reflection based on racism.

September 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  31. ashley

weren't these bones, or at least some other bones found on the property and adjacent property found a while ago? weren't we awaiting to determine if they were human or animal a couple weeks ago? what's been the hold up in making the determination and why haven't we heard anything regarding this in a couple weeks? ps. anderson you are awesome!!

September 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  32. Jennifer

With regards to the issues, debating anything by saying that the opposition is just being racist, whether true or not, is not going to help. We need to debate on the facts of an issue and with logic and reason; they are much harder to argue against. The problem and demographics of continued racism in this country is interesting and important, and I am glad it is being discussed, but it does not seem helpful to e.g. our health care debate.

September 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  33. hanley

I was looking at the various reports ao the tea party rallies, i sis not see any black people at all. i also did not see any blacks at the town
    hall meetings only white people.

September 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  34. keith

Mr Gergen I believe you are a good and honest man.what do you really really think?

September 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Jane - Vt

Mary Travers died. We have lost some jewels this year in music.

September 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Isabel C Siaba

America took a big step against racism when elected President Obama, but in the battle against racism there are still many barriers to be broken.

September 16, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  37. gail

John Legend was very well spoken and informed in the discussion on race. Kudos to him and I agree. Let's keep our eyes on the ball and not be distracted by side issues.

September 16, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Steve Johnson, Racism became a part of politics the minute Obama was elected. It is being used by fringe elements on both the left and right.

September 16, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  39. JALLEN

Yale murder: Why is it taking so long to arrest & keep someone. I don't ever remembering a person being tested DNA (prime suspect), picture on TV but let GO Home. Why did they not keep him in jail until the DNA was confirmed?

September 16, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  40. james

Nick Lott is an embarrassment to all people of color. I applaud President Carter for telling the truth, not matter how it hurts.

September 16, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  41. Dan --- California

John Legend for President! says an old white guy (me).

September 16, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  42. Mike Armstrong TX.

People need to know when there in the presense of a criminal they need to have identifing marks that are visible to the public.

September 16, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Kadi

can we save some tax payers money and give this Garrido guy a death sentence, I mean like right now, because even if they give him life sentence we still have to pay for him in jail.

September 16, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  44. juliet

I can not believe that our own politician are the one that;s making the Economy get worse,cause instead of working on something really important .like health care there's so many people without medical insurance they reaaly need to focus on that .

September 16, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Sarah in FL, All of this racism talk is being used to distract from the fact that the health care reform bill is in trouble. You can bet any time Obama's policies get into trouble the issue of racism will rear its ugly head again.

September 16, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@CAROLYN J......I have stressed this from the beginning of these protests. Take a close look at the primary demographic of these protestors. There is a common bond and it's not by accident.

September 16, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Danny keen

Racism dies with you! If you look in the mirror and see a human being
    and see people as individuals,(idiots or not),and lump people in stereotypes,We will be changing the world.

September 16, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  48. NicoleRN--Texas

@Jane from VT–I totally agree.

September 16, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  49. starr, formerly known as vncent

David G. is absolutely correct. We should not let Rush Limbaugh drive any conversation in this country. To even play his remarks (which were despicable) gives him too much exposure.

We really, as a nation, need to pay attention to health care insurance reform, green energy, the environment and so on.

There will always be people trying to distract and scare the American people- we can't let them dominate the conversation!

September 16, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Tracy Brown

I must admit that I really don't get your health care issues. On the one hand, so many Americans are upset by the notion of a public option. They don't want government involved in health care. Yet, it's many of these same people, in the next breath, that fear reduction of Medicare and are worried about the elderly ending up with less benefits. Medicare and Medicaid... are these not governemnt run, government sponsored programs, and are they not practical proof that there is a real and critical role for goverment to play in health care? I simply don't understand this contradiction.

Clearly, I'm Canadian, and have a viewpoint that is tremendously different from most Americans.

September 16, 2009 at 10:23 pm |