September 16th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/16/09

Police have found bones on the property of Phillip Garrido.  They've been searching his home looking for evidence in the disappearance of two more girls. He has pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnapping Jaycee Dugard and holding her for 18 years. She has been reunited with her family. We'll have these new developments. Plus, are police closing in on a suspect in the murder of Yale grad student Annie Le?

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Billy

I'm convinced that Jimmy Carter is correct, although I do not that that all of the protesters are racist, but rather that the emotions of the protesters are swayed by those few who are racist. I think calling someone a "NAZI," for example, is a psychological projection of ones own racism onto someone else. But, others who may not be racist may be emotionally swayed by the loaded term "Nazi" and consequently use it because their emotions have become attached to that loaded term in relating to the president. There IS racism. But we should not commit ourselves to a hyperbole by asserting that everyone that protests is racist, even if those who fuel the protests (Glenn Beck, and others) ARE racist.

September 16, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  2. LorenaR

Bravo for Mr Jimmy Carter. he speaks his mind, and he delivers his opinions calmly and compassionately knowing full well they will be unpopular

September 16, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think we are in trouble if we take what people "believe" or "imagine" as fact.

September 16, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Ramona, Jackson, MS

Evening, All! Looks like an interesting show. I think Fmr Pres J Carter is correct to take a stand. Racism is very much alive. It's one thing for the critics to have their issues with Pres OBama; however, the race card needs to stop now. It's wrong.

September 16, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  5. kim-chicago

I totally agree with John Legend...keeping race on the table only benefits Obama's opposition. As hard as it to believe it only motivates the fringe elements of this country to continue this hatred. It's really time for all of this to end. To me it is very sad....

September 16, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Danny keen

things are drastically diiferent now that we are forced to "like" each other,which is to say that we are players on a stage and really don't care about anyone but ourselves.President Carter who was President when I was a child is as honest a President as there will be.

September 16, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  7. Mike n Cali

Anderson, one of the speakers at the tea party event in Washington said "they can have my country when they pry it from my cold dead fingers!" please ask Mr. Lott to address that quote...who are the "they" being referred to?

September 16, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  8. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. I'm for healthcare reform, but have concerns about the standard of care and a possible crowd out of private insurers. I tend to think President Carter's comments wrongly assume the entirety of the protests against healthcare are based on prejudice.

September 16, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Roger Iowa

I think looking back to President Obama’s candidacy and election also, looking at the right wing politics and antics for the past twenty five years, adding in the monkey cartoons, the magazine cover, the tea party posters, and now the attacks on Acorn. I can see where President Carter’s statements could be mostly true.
    When looking at corporate investment of multimillions of dollars to stop universal healthcare for all. I can visualize right wingers using hate to profit from corporate greed. Seeing it in this manner it equates to racism.
    The statement I’d like to have President Carter make is: Now is the time for the media to start educational journalism, asking the American people the question of reversing Bush tax cuts to pay for healthcare for all so, future generations don’t have to pay for it, like they will with President Bush’s T.A.R.P. program and the Iraq war.
    I’d like to say, I hope your educational journalism on the Afghanistan war wins you a Nobel award.

September 16, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  10. CAROLYN J

Hello!

if it was'nt about race and just issues, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE PROTESTER'S.... i know that their are black ppl who opposes the presidents issues, but come on now how many minorities did you see in that croud in washington.... it makes me so angry to see ppl that want to make the issues go away by using race... but it is what it is , you saw those posters it was nice.

September 16, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  11. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Like any other accusation the charge of racism should not be taken lightly and those making it should be forced to back it up with specifics.

September 16, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  12. Ron from PA

Your Republican guests keep saying that at the recent conservative rallies, there were only a relatively few signs which contained the racist comments, including the very classless and tasteless ones that referred to the late Senator Kennedy and President Obama.

The fact is that there were thousands of these signs. Likewise, there were several people at these rallies yelling out racist and highly offensive comments. The combination of these signs and the offensive, yelling of highly offensive comments is what characterized the tone of these rallies.

And the leaders have clearly encouraged rather than discouraged this tone! If you need any further evidence of this, witness how all of these leaders have characterized Joe Wilson's comments in the same way.
    In addition to encouraging this content and tone, these conservative leaders are consciously trying to fuel it. After all, someone passed out those thousands of signs with the tasteless comments about burying Obama and Kennedy!

September 16, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Jane - Vt

Good evening Anderson, Erica, and David

I still agree with President Carter. Read the right wing blogs and you see the racism is blatant on them.

September 16, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Kevin

I think that Republicans are equally disrespectful of anyone who has a different opinion than there own regardless of their race.

September 16, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Dulcie - Denver

I still believe that much of the ugliness of the recent protests DOES have a lot to do with race. There are code words used. But not all of it is and passionate dissent is possible without using coded speech like 'Real Americans' and other similar things

September 16, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  16. Helen

Kudos to John Legend! Media is looking for ratings.

September 16, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Vickie_AR...I was thinking he same thing. But I always I have to ask myself "Is this a major story because the mainstream press is pushing the story, or because we are all talking about it?" Don't you wonder?

September 16, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  18. Melissa-Erie, Pa

Good evening everyone.

September 16, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  19. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I think what Carter and others are doing is irresponsible and reckless, as Michael Steele said, “it diminishes real instances of racism that still exist in this country.”

And it drives us farther apart. I am sorry that AC360 is contributing to this fiasco.

September 16, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The fact of President Obama has a formal education enabled him to exceed the boundaries of the world, world which is much more white than black, but not free him from the racism that he already must have faced a lot in life.

September 16, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  21. starr, formerly known as vncent

Good evening Anderson, Erica & Team 360.

Good evening Fellow bloggers.

I knew Mary Traver, i used to babysit her eldest daughter. Iam very sad to hear of her passing. She was a wonderful and very nice woman. I was a big fan of PP&M.

My condolences to her children, family & friends.

September 16, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Miranda Marchesi

Anderson you don't have say a word to be racist and yes if Hilary Clinton were to have been elected we would be talking of sex because there a re people who would not see a woman president and would if she failed at something would blame it on her being a woman and unfit.

September 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Mike Armstrong TX.

Even if is the truth the president is causing trouble at a bad time

September 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Vickie_AR

Carter must have touched a chord, or else why are we all talking about it so much. There must be some truth to it.

September 16, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It sound like a fascinating discussion tonight.
    The people protesting Pres. Obama's policies may not think their attitude racist, but the way they have been portraying him is–it's been much more hateful than amusing.

September 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Kendrick

I'm glad former President Carter is standing firm on his belief because he is speaking with truth and experience of what he has seen over the years.

September 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! (a pleasant evening to us all!)

September 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, everyone! Hope you're having a good Wednesday so far.

September 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  29. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The race card is going to get a backlash with the 45-50% who disagree with the President's policies.

September 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  30. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I'm proud of Jimmy Carter. Those who claim their feelings and opinions have nothing to do with race aren't being honest with themselves, whether their rhetoric is conscious or sub-conscious. It's hard to admit our faults when "we're" so utterly insecure ourselves.

September 16, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  31. NicoleRN--Texas

Jimmy Carter is somewhat right. I think there is an underlying race issue–no one will ever admit they're being racist.

September 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Cynthia, NC

Good evening. I typically do not agree with a lot of remarks by former President Carter, but I tend to agree with his recent comments on racism.

September 16, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Lori

Hi, good evening.

September 16, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  34. starr, santa fe

Good evening Anderson, Erica & Team 360.

Good evening fellow bloggers.

I knew Mary Travers, i used to babysit her eldest daughter. I am very sad to hear of her passing. She was a wonderful and very nice woman and a big fan of PP&M.

September 16, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  35. American Teen Overseas

Wow, I think that what president Carter is saying is so true. It is so obvious that these people are so angry because they probably just want to come out and say that its because of race... but feel they cant. its so sad that so many adults are so full of things they teach us not to do.

September 16, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Susan, Vancouver

Former President Jimmy Carter is a great man and, in my opinion, a better ex-President than President. I agree with President Carter.

To Paul Stookey and Peter Yarrow and company, I am so very sorry – I have loved you and your music for many years.

September 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Heather - Spokane, WA

I have to agree with President Carter. Why else would there be a rise in white supremicist groups and a rise in militia groups? Not to mention all of the comments that we all heard during the election from the supporters of McCain and other groups that didnt support Obama. Racism is playing a key role in this.

September 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

What the former President Carter said, it is coherent. It is a truth that hurts and is difficult to be heard and accepted. But it is real!

September 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@joe, I agree. Instead of having some celebrity on why didn't Anderson ask RNC chairman Michael Steele to come on and discuss it? Or better yet some average Americans.

I don't know about you, but I couldn't care less what celebrities have to say.

September 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Kathy Chicago

Hi AC and gang!

September 16, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Donna

Thank you President Carter for speaking the truth! The right wing is not even trying to conceal their racism.

September 16, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Lauren

When will we learn that the color of our skin is only a shell and I'm white guys.

September 16, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

If Carter is going to throw unsubstantiated claims around he should at least get his facts straight. The sign said "Bury Obamacare with Kennedy," not bury Obama.

September 16, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Miriam Cooper, NY

Hi Anderson,

I feel very sad for this story !

September 16, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Emily, Canada

Good evening Anderson, Erica & other bloggers....

So, Jimmy Carter is back in the news with more comments....looking forward to hear what John Legend has to say.

RIP Mary Travers!

"Peter, Paul & Mary" were a great group.

September 16, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Jacqueline, NY

Evening all!
    Anderson, En garde! Tonight is another one.

September 16, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Hello Anderson!
    Hello friends, David (Indiana) and, 360 team!

Good evening everyone!

September 16, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Miranda Marchesi

Anderson

First umm happy wenesday night, two Jimmy Carter is right and i am of this generation and though it is said to be a minority that is racist toward President Obama i believe that minority can become the majority real fast...also it should not take away from healthcare reform...lastly Anderson did you see your video playback about the person of interest,might as well call him a suspect...but did you notice the bruising on the upper back of his arm when was about to get into the police cruiser...i have had that bruising before while messing around with friends it is a specific bruising caused by being grabbed from the front by someone.

Alright have a good show.

Miranda

September 16, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. joe

It is all about race! However, when you tease for your show and say John Legend will be on to talk about race in the country.......is this really starting a serious conversation about race or is it a last minute fill in?

September 16, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone. Sounds like yet another busy night!

September 16, 2009 at 9:59 pm |