September 16th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Racism Fueling the Anger at Pres. Obama?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/09/15/carter.obama/art.carter.nbc.jpg caption= "Former President Carter tells 'NBC Nightly News' that racism has surfaced in opposition to President Obama."]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Is racism fueling the animosity against Pres. Obama? Former Pres. Jimmy Carter thinks so. That's what he told NBC Nightly News yesterday. And, just moments ago at Emory University Carter defended his comment that's sparked some heated talk across America today. Hear what he said just moments ago tonight on 360°.

We'll dig deeper on this subject with an interesting panel. Anderson will talk with Grammy award-winning singer John Legend. He saw our program last night on this topic and e-mailed Anderson and our Sr. Executive Producer David Doss, so we invited him on the program to share this thoughts. David Gergen, Roland Martin and Mississippi conservative activist Nic Lott will also weigh in on race and politics.

Do you agree with the former president? Share your thoughts below.

We've also learned that murdered Yale grad student Annie Le was strangled to death. But who did it? That's what police are trying to determine. They have a person of interest. His name is Raymond Clark. He worked at the lab where Le's body was found stuffed inside a wall on Sunday. We know more about him. Tom Foreman will share what he uncovered.

And a catering worker was only supposed to get a $29 tip, but because of typo she ended up getting $29,000. She's since left the job, though those who made the mistake want the money back. We'll tell you where this cash drama is playing out and what bold move is being taken in an effort to get the goods.

Join us for these stories and much more starting at 10pm ET.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Vicki

When your accused of being a racist you have no defense.Naturally I am going to be treated differently then a black person , I am also going to be treated differently then a person from the middle east. It is based on how a person was previously treated by that race group. We all do that. I reserve my right to to disagree with my president I have with all the presidents found something I did not like about them That is not race based But, if I disagree with this one the first thing out of the other person mouth is I am racist.See I have had good experiences with people of all races so I look for the person within.Blacks don't want to let go to the crutch they have rightfully believe is true still. It shuts you up and you become defensive . You look at Obama taking his wife out to dinner in New York and spending 57,000 on the trip after the the previous president says the country is facing e comic collapse and say wait a min. . I look at the the 10 million our city spent in hosting his campaign and I see my taxes go up because his election committee will not pay their bill. He raised the most money and we should forgive him because asking for the money would make us bitter white people. By the way McCain came here to he paid his bill. What makes me trust this president with our money.Now pretend there is no color involved in this what do you really think. We had our feel good moment just like Jack Kennedy being elected. Now he has to steer the ship. Feel good moments are not going to put food on my family's table.By the way you don't get a a seat at this table unless you voted.Everyone did all that complaining but did not take the 5 min. it would have taken to cast a vote. When you did not vote in the past you took away your right to complain. It is not racist it is just politics.

September 17, 2009 at 6:47 am |
  2. Milada B. Gessman

Almost a half of this country did NOT vote for Obama, and I'd venture to say that a good half of that number either outright said or felt that they would never vote for a black man. Their sentiments did not disappear after the election.

As a former Alabama southerner (white), I applaud Pres. Carter's willingness to speak the truth. I need go no further than my own family: a mother who turns off the TV whenever a black face appears, who can't stand the idea of a black man in the White House (he must be a communist); siblings who assiduously follow Glen Beck, etc. These are not rednecks, but people with college degrees. Do they have friends who are of similar persuasion? You bet!!
    Have you ever heard people of their ilk identify themselves as racist? Never!! My Mom is the exception. She readily admits to bigotry, stating that she is a fair bigot – she hates everybody equally.

September 17, 2009 at 5:45 am |
  3. Anthony McDonald

Anderson,

I would like to say that there is still entirely too much racism in our country and especially regarding our President! Eventhough I did'nt vote for him and don't agree with a lot of decisions he makes, gives me no right to make a comment on any of these because of his race. I grew up in south Georgia and could'nt stomach these attitudes then, so there is no reason for it now! ( I'm 39 ) I've fought along side my brothers of many races when I served on active duty in the U.S. ARMY and by God, blood and brotherhood that makes us all equal. Unfortunately, there will always be those who will choose to behave in a disgracefull manner ( Limbaugh ) knowing the honorable way. I leave you with this: John Adams was a farmer, Abraham Lincoln was small town lawyer, Plato and Socrates were teachers, Jesus was a carpenter! To equate JUDGEMENT and WISDOM with occupation is, at best, INSULTING!!!

ANTHONY McDONALD
    Psalm 18:2

September 17, 2009 at 5:44 am |
  4. Mark Charles

I feel bad for clueless, in-bred blacks like Phil Steele. Yeah, I know that sounds mean, but how else can you explain his utter retardation? Here's a little warning to all you wanna-be Uncle Toms out there... You are far more disgusting to the cruel masters you serve than you can ever be to someone like me. You will be used, and discarded in a fashion that leaves you completely unrecognizeable. -Especially to yourself.

September 17, 2009 at 3:15 am |
  5. nea

What the Former Pres. said was true he hit the nail on the head and i believe a nerve too. If you are a racist just be honest about it. But i know thats not going to happen. Im a black female and i worked with whites that are racist believe me you can hide for a while but sooner or later it will come out. Even though i may have to i dont like to be around someone thats racist whether they are white or black, because no matter what you try to do to help them they will always find fault in you.

September 17, 2009 at 3:00 am |
  6. Milton Smith

You know Anderson 360 I some times think that if you knew every blog in your profiles thing you could really out preform the rest. When people come up with simple ideas and apply them with every possible high tech data like a real thermal transducer, manipulating thermal activity, being like the number eight some think of me as being the infinite unkown to beings with 99.9% absolute power my soul mate we to each other being the first unknow last unkown first known and last known as we gain absolute power. Infinite, the one side of eight is hot the other cold and not change it's chemical composition. So swing away 360 swing away.

September 17, 2009 at 2:54 am |
  7. Teresa Williams

My thoughts about the outburst made during President Barack Obama's speech. Before hearing Carter's comment. From the moment he yelled out that comment, and the tone in which use it in, told me that he does not respect Obama as his president. He's so racist that he could not hold that comment in. Showing the world that he does not respect our president. The comment was one thing, but his tone was what I mainly had a problem with. republicans does not agree with his health care plan, I get that, To insure that this not happen again, we should look at this like the incident with president Bush, when that man threw his shoes at the president, he might be out of jail now, but least he was punished. I would not go as far as jail, but I believe a repremend is in order

September 17, 2009 at 2:53 am |
  8. NOAH

The question in my mind is 'America, being a sorphisticated democracy, and where power is not entirely vested on the president, should the 'name calling' and protest entirely be directed on Obama or atleast we ought to see the party vindicated; If Biden was president would he be a thug? would there be protests like these? Somebody says Obama 'is an Indonesian-Muslim-socialist-thug” and he is not racist. Another says 'I know wilson....blah blah he is not racist'. When white people come to Africa they are treated like they all invented something or understand rocket science and can explain why governments are bad. What I see on CNN about Obama I have not seen before-atleast not this bad. Tribalism rules our African nations and tell me there is a difference now with what is happenning in America? Some white people seem to know how to cover racism in nice words and emotions-not offensive at all, claiming civilty and integrity-I dont see that in the riots and their leaders-Nobody respects the president I think. I think many Americans are racists and only know how to be nice about it, seem polite. 'indonesian muslim socialist thug' with many supporters and no apology-please Americans tell me this happenned to a president before Obama! I strongly believe if Bidden was the president the protests would not have been this personal

September 17, 2009 at 2:44 am |
  9. julie eames

When I heard Jimmy Carter say racism on your show tonight I felt relief and appreciation for his courage to say so. Finally someone important says what many are thinking. We see more images of African Americans with our President for sure now. When the black class president introduced Obama at the school with 12% white students for his speech to American children and 40% of Utah Mormon Republicans, I mean people from Utah where I live, do not let their children attend school or oppose them even listening to the President of the United States I saw it more clearly.I do not feel Obama plays the race card. I think his upbringing, and admitted use of street drugs...he didn't just not inhale, the race of his parents, and the outward color of his skin are all things stirring an undercurrent that was there all along. The celebrities...for God sake shut up and please don't make it worse.

September 17, 2009 at 2:43 am |
  10. Janet Sadler Schmid

This intense animosity toward Obama does seem over the top. I'd like to believe it's not about race,but when the crticism is clouded with direct comments that are racial jabs – it's hard to believe that it isn't at least part of their issue.

September 17, 2009 at 2:37 am |
  11. Ann-Virginia

The person commenting here that just signed "S"is exactly what Carter was talking about.One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to see the racism in his or her comment.Just proves Carter was right.

September 17, 2009 at 2:35 am |
  12. Diane

As usually the Rep. lies, change the the issues. The Rep. have done just what Hittler did from his state. Why is Anderson and all the other CNN reporters not bring up what this country was when Bush left office. Bush and Chaney drove are country in the financial down turn. CNN acts as if Pres. Obama walked in to a balanced buget, no war (in the wrong country), who pasted tax cuts for the rich and much more. Pres. Carter is totally correct it is about Obama being black. What other president would not have a complete terrors allert.

September 17, 2009 at 2:34 am |
  13. stephanie

I am an African American democrat and I don't feel that the senator's remark itself was sparked by racisim although I do feel that the overall lack for respect was. It basically was very out of line...I would expect that a senator would know how to act on capital hill. If he was in a court of law he would be in contempt. What Kanye did at the MTV awards was POP Culture. What the senator did was unpatriotic I feel like we are teaching our children how not to respect authority.

September 17, 2009 at 2:33 am |
  14. Ann-Virginia

Why are all these people,both black & white so angry at Jimmy Carter for speaking the truth.I keep hearing those discussing this on CNN that it's taking us away from the discussion of healthcare.Hogwash,that's just a copout for avoiding answering questions put to themthat they don't want to answer.Carter never said "broad racism"as one of your guest.You would have to live under a rock not to see that these extreme right wingers are who everyone is talking about.I have lived in the south all my 64 yrs,so I know what racism is.All you would have to do to prove it is to go on some local tv staion blogs in Va. to see the hateful,racist things said about Obama.Roland is right,there are certain code words used that are racist substitutesWe can still focus on healthcare,but America needs to address this race issue also.Nic Lott is in denial,avoiding the issue altogether...and it makes one wonder why.Yes,53 % of America voted for Obama,but we still need to deal with the racism that still exists.It also makes me sick to hear sombody use the excuse that the Democrats are just playing the race card because healthcare isn't going their way..That's BS,Democrats are not the ones saying Obama is a Nazi,socialist,communist,witch doctor etc.DUH! It's not rocket science people,it's racism.

September 17, 2009 at 2:24 am |
  15. mj cargill

I don't know where alot of others come from, but in Idaho I see it as racism. I see it from my family members amd the general community. Let the man be a president. Look what he inherited from Dem and rep government.

September 17, 2009 at 2:19 am |
  16. Susan Chappell

Off subject but; since Jimmy Carter seems to be a self proclaimed expert on proper protocol regarding comments made by Americans...I ask, why he has not provided the American people with his commentary regarding the cheap verbal slander made by President Obama? The President recently publicly singled out and referred to a celebrity as a "Jackass." Considering all of the current significant International issues, comments of that nature should never be made by a President. After all, the President is our Nations elected leader. The President is leader of all Americans, unconditionally... "Jackass's" included.

September 17, 2009 at 2:16 am |
  17. Kathy Downing

I think John Legend has it right. Yes there is racism and yes it's a dialogue we need to have, ongoing. But when we focus on those on the fringe who go out of their way to take the spotlight purely for attention sake and not to further any real discussion of the issues, that's not a good thing. And kudos to Al Sharpton for contributing to this conversation. You can disagree and still work together to solve problems...it used to be called compromise and governance.

September 17, 2009 at 2:12 am |
  18. Julio Porro

Mark Williams the crazy teabagger??? Why do you invite him again to your show to comment about Carter's comments... Try to act like a journalist please and invite articulate and rational conservatives, if you can find any...

September 17, 2009 at 1:53 am |
  19. Katleen Crossley

Who elected President Obama? When I look at the president of our country, I don't see color. I see a man whom I respect and admire.

Unfortunately , There is still racism out there and there always will be.
    It is what it is and it is indeed sad.... However we have come a long way... Did you forget that Jack Kennedy was discriminated against
    because he was Irish Catholic and Democratic ?

The only constant in life is change and I believe President Obama is a welcome change.
    He has to clean up the mess that was left by the last administration.

Everybody wants a quick fix but nobody wants to sacrifice..

God Bless our president.

September 17, 2009 at 1:50 am |
  20. Susan Chappell

As one speaker noted; I also expected the "race" factor and, if Clinton were to be voted in, eventually "sexism" to come into play. As history proves, drama seems to fuel underlying issues, better yet, "non"-issues. However, I find comments made by Carter and, significant others regarding the "slanderous" statements towards Obama to be even more fueling to the race issue... With all due respect; he basically declared it to be "unacceptable" to speak of a President in that manner. I ask; where were the defenders of protocol when it came to "Bush Basing?" I have never heard more negative, fowl, vulgar ranting during & after a President then Bush. Moreover, where was Jimmy Carter to offer edict lessons in recent past?

September 17, 2009 at 1:46 am |
  21. mj

September 17, 2009 at 1:44 am |
  22. A. R. Sutton

Everyone out there fighting over this fantasy called race are fighting against a construct. anyone who believes themselves to be a color is identifying themselves as a racialized category. All humans come from Africa and everyone on this planet is African. PEOPLE of this country need help because those who formed this country did it on the backs of the majority, (us). Now some sit in prison with the awaiting final judgement. When we stop using artificial labels on Homo sapiens and get on with recognizing that we, all 6.6 billion come from a band of 10,000 that was on the brink of extinction. When the Greeks said of our universe that we are indeed the center, we grew up and realized they were wrong, but the error on society took a 1,500 year toll on the psyche and took some time to delete the bad programming. The construct called race is also as much a fantasy as those calculations that told of our universe.

September 17, 2009 at 1:42 am |
  23. nadia

I like to say Thank You Jimmy Carter..... Thank you for speaking out... look at your response and tell me if they are not races? What I cannot understand is why were there not plenty of people disrespecting Bush when he was messing up and it was so clear out in the open, How come people were not so strict and demanding with him? He deserved it... someone explain that...

Now think about the blame on the Race card......

September 17, 2009 at 1:30 am |
  24. Norman

Is it right for people to the President by his name or should he be called by his title.

September 17, 2009 at 1:24 am |
  25. debbie

Interesting that you show Rush Limbaugh yapping on his radio show, and your guests getting all upset about his crazy comments – interesting in that I never see such attention given to people like Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson on their crazy comments. If we are not going to leave this issue alone, then I would suggest you start reporting on both sides of the nut house.

September 17, 2009 at 1:23 am |
  26. keisha

wake up people racism has been here in this country a long time now it's rearing it's ugly head and they cant handle it trying to point their fingers at the president! maybe they cant stand the fact that it may take a black man to do something for this country that they couldn't do face it you voted for him because you wanted change and now you want to condemn him for trying to do what he think is right for this country? and you don't think this racism? please!!!

September 17, 2009 at 1:22 am |
  27. Lisbeth Lerner, M.D.

There are clearly rasist undertones in some of the resistance against President Obama and the health care reform.
    When my son, adopted in Ecuador, and who has been brought up in Sweden, was eating breakfast and lunch the day after President Obama was elected, my son was told aggressively in both places: "No Black in the WHITE house!" A clear rasist insult to my son, who is Black.
    The U.S. of America has not come to terms with its history and many Americans do not know the rasism and the profiling that African-Americans meet constantly in their daily life.
    Lisbeth Lerner, Swedish-American, M.D.

September 17, 2009 at 1:21 am |
  28. Denise Tucker

I believe that their is quite a bit of racism in this country, but the sad part of it is that most of these people are white men. I don't believe any other president would have been called a liar.

Unfortunately, I have experienced being born and raised in this country, is that white people have this feeling that they have a "sense of entitlement" when it come to minorities, and that statement that was made to the president was a true example.

Sometimes, things that happen in this country can embarrass you as an American citizen, and I love my country and would defend it but if we stay honest among ourselves, we have had some embarassing moments when it comes to the rest of the world.

September 17, 2009 at 1:20 am |
  29. Carol

I believe that some tea party group members may not be racists but racism is the main factor of the hatred that you see on TV. Someone said on your panel that previous presidents were white that wanted a health care change. Yes, this could be correct BUT the posters didn't show them portrayed as white face JOKERS with SOCiALISM written on that same poster. RACISM it is or your BLIND. Rush Limbaugh is in for the BUCK!
    He's causing alot of damage for a big house and a nice car.

September 17, 2009 at 1:19 am |
  30. Richard

There can be very long conversations about the whole race card issue. I just find it interesting that the former president decides to bring up this issue to the media during the ACORN incidents. Mr. Anderson, you talk about other issues that need to be discussed such as health care and "other things". Why don't you cover those other things? And I’m not talking about the poor young lady from Yale. I guess I’m just saying we need to look at the bigger picture and go the whole 360. Thank you for your time.

Richard

September 17, 2009 at 1:19 am |
  31. Carmen

Anderson Cooper and Larry King both failed to get their guests to talk about the real issue: no one has said that republicans in general are racist. The issue is that a lot of loud people treat the current president with far more disrespect than any other US president. The President of the United States is an institution that we need to respect as much as we should respect the choice of a majority of the voters. Voicing disapproval when the president is called "monkey" is support of our democracy. Somehow tonight's guests did not want to agree to that. Way sad.

September 17, 2009 at 1:14 am |
  32. Chris

Maybe Mr Carter should wake up and realize Pres. Obama probably recived some votes due to the guilt some white people felt over racism. Maybe the anger and disapproval are stemming from the fact that the majority don't want his health care plan and the Failure of the bail out. I didn't vote for Obama and it had nothing to do with the fact that he was black. It ad to do with the fact he is out of touch with what most americans actually want and need.

September 17, 2009 at 1:12 am |
  33. Kimberly

I can only speak as a young, black, school administrator–its all about race. It bothers me that we are still unable as a country to come to grips with our racial history.

September 17, 2009 at 1:09 am |
  34. Joseph Edgecombe, Boston

Barack and the democratic agenda is suffering from a lack of support of American political history, we need to have an educated perspective of Americas recent history (the Chisholm and Carter era) in order to deliver a unified solution for current affairs and plan for the future America.

Carter is good, But need to follow our original Political leader of the Change Movement – Shirley Chisholm.
    The media has done a terrible job on reporting the facts of truth about American political history, we don't want to hear hype about Obama but facts about American political progress...and historical landmarks in time.

The political/media neglect of Shirley Chisholm adds to the issues that racism is still alive and well in America.

Washington need to address these issues in a proactive manner through the Whitehouse office of urban policy/affairs and the office of domestic affairs/policy.

America must address these issues and not try to coerce people into living in a state of denial.. denial only ruins Americas international image and reputation and standing in the world, we must follow our original Political Leader on these issues Democratic Presidential Candidate Shirley Chisholm.

Shirley Chisholm – Americas Catalyst for change and the Presidential founder of the change movement in America, She has received honorary doctorates from 31 institutions.

Barack Obamas Office of Urban Affairs – Should be dedicated or named in honor or 1972 Presidential Candidate Shirley Anita-Hill Chisholm.

Barack Obamas – new Office of Urban Affairs – Should be dedicated or named in honor or 1972 Presidential Candidate Shirley Anita-Hill Chisholm, for her valiant and unprecedented efforts to bring change to America during the politically dramatic, pressing and critical times of the early 1970’s.

She remains the Model Leader for many Americans across the country and across the world, but she has been practically assassinated by the American political-media complex and therefore needs to be properly recognized for her contributions to this country and the world.

She is the unrecognized Change Agent and Trailblazer who broke all barriers for everyone in this country – towards the creation of the country which we all enjoy today.

She also fought for the equal rights and the equal rights amendment, It would only be right and just to complete her hard work by ratifying the equal rights amendment by amending the constitution of the United states of America…and yes the issue is an URBAN AFFAIRS and URBAN POLICY.

Joseph Edgecombe, F.A.C.T.S. – Progressive Assoc., Boston

September 17, 2009 at 1:06 am |
  35. ruben

I totally agree with President Carter comments. There is only one reason these people are against Pres. Obama and that he's BLACK.
    The sad think is that these protesters don't realize that Hannity, Rush, and Glen Beck are millionaires and they don't care about anybody else but themselves.

September 17, 2009 at 1:04 am |
  36. Andrea Walker Mulkey

It's not about the words "You're a liar" but the fact that he felt he was entitled to say it at all. Never in years has this sort of questionable behavior surrounding the respect for a president been questioned, but now...now that he is black, the lines are not so clear. Areas of respect are now up for the taking. I am sorry, but I am one that rarely if ever considers the race card a legitimate issue, however I too, like Carter, am from the south and well traveled and the situation is not the same here as elsewhere. While much of the discussion is based on a disagreement of the issues; there is most definitely a part that is fueled consciously, or even more subconsciously by the issue of race. The level of respect has not been equally expressed to Obama vs. Presidents before him (... not to mention the school speech issue, which I too feel is racially motivated in the same subtle way – less subtle in some places most definitely). Don't forget CNN was just reporting a few months ago on segregated proms in the south....is it so hard to see how ppl apply the same mentality to the President?

September 17, 2009 at 1:04 am |
  37. Deborah

It is undeniable that racism is an underlying factor in much of the opposition that President Obama is receiving. Rush Limbaugh's statements support the fact that many Americans are infuriated by the fact that an African American is leading the country. I agree with John Legend, however that we cannot let racism rather than the real issues take center stage. Racism was a factor before, during and remains a factor, not simply for a few on the fringe, but for many mainstream conservatives. I think many of us are afraid to examine our genuine motivations for such vehement opposition.

September 17, 2009 at 12:54 am |
  38. Joy Warren

I lived through the Freedom Riders and first black students integrating my University. After all these years of changes in America I naively thought that we were mostly past outright racism and hatred. But I was wrong. The kind of virulent spewing of the anti-health care reform people tells me there's a deep undercurrent of emotion that has nothing to do with health care. Everyone in America knows health care needs reform, but the "anti" folks aren't interested in debate on how we achieve it. And the name calling has reached proportions that are frightening. With no alternative suggestions they only want to destroy movement toward change. Just like during the election extremely vocal pronouncements made challenging Obama's citizenship, his religious views and his allegiance to this country, thinly veiled racial and religious bias and bigotry. Current outbursts are just as racist. It's shadow projection par excellence.

September 17, 2009 at 12:38 am |
  39. Jordan H. Poole

I never knew so many of my friends and family to make racist remarks until we as a nation elected our first Black President.

September 17, 2009 at 12:36 am |
  40. Marcus

Yes, racism still exists in the United States, especially in the South. President Obama has been in office for about only nine months and has received a lot of criticism. However, Former President George W. Bush has received hand shakes. He has caused the lost of many innocent lives due to the war in Iraq. He has continued what his father started. He also caused this country to be in this recession. Some people still praise he, although he has done these evil things. As far as racism is concerned, these cowards need to stop throwing rocks and hiding behind their sheets. Because no one is better than anybody because of the color of their skin. God made us all equally the same. Whether we are rich or poor.

September 17, 2009 at 12:29 am |
  41. The Realist

Yes! A large portion of white people voted for and support the President. But there is a growing minority of poor, uneducated, and mostly rural white people who through their inability to use critical thinking skills are being led to believe that a new era in America is upon us and they are scared. This era is one which they believe will be characterized by a reversal of the current order of things such as the supremacy of white Americans over their Black counterparts. They feel as if their way of life as well as their socioeconomic, political, and coporate supremacy is being threatened and they are scared. These fears are being fueled by radical entertainers, such as Rush Limbaugh, who make all kinds of grandiose claims which further divide this country. This Grand Wizard of the Radical Right has manipulated the minds of the weak and if left unchecked will create greater divides between the races culminating in an eventual race war. So yes, their is racism that is becoming more appearant as the first year of Baracks presidency continues. And there will be more overt displays to come. As long as people like Rush Limbaugh and the like continue to use the media outlet as their pulpit to espouse hatred and to twist the minds of a minority of white people who are either unable or unwilling to question these ideas, we will continue to see a growing tide of racism.

In all, white people are simply scared and feel that the first black president being elected signals a drastic change in the order of things. They feel that their position as the dominant race of this land is under attack and they are fearful of a reversal in this order. I can understand this fear. It is unrealistic but I can understand why they are feeling this way. I try to put myself in their shoes. If I came to a new country and usurped complete dominance over land, races of peoples and resources and have enjoyed the best that this country had to offer and was eventually confronted with an event in which I perceived that my standard of living and my way of life was under attack, I probably would fight to maintain what I had. No one in power wants to give that up. You can pick any military coup around the world as proof of this human behavior. But the fact remains their is no credible threat to white people's supremacy over this country only a perceived one. Never the less, whether real or fictitious, if white people believe that their supremacy is under attack for them it is real. And they will do what ever they can to fight for the preservation of what they stand to lose. That is why they infiltrate movements like the Tea party movement and the debate over health care reform. They are simply fighting to preserve what they unrealistically fear they are losing.

September 17, 2009 at 12:27 am |
  42. Cherelle Blaize

Though I am not American, I attended University in Louisiana. It is quite clear that racism exist, whether it be blatantly or subtly. Jimmy Carter's remarks were in no way based upon ignorance, to deny the fact that racism may be an underlying factor in this health care debate, would be a flagrant lie. President Obama may wish to be graceful and shun the idea, but the evidence is there, and speaks volumes.

September 17, 2009 at 12:22 am |
  43. Tyrone

Steele and Elder are a disgrace! Their heads are up their ‘you-know-whats’! Elder constantly tells the story of how his father lived through discrimination and ‘Jim Crow’. How pathetic he is! If his father could see him now he’d probably turn over in his grave (if he passed). Steele is just a total moron; there’s no hope for either one of them. From the beginning of slavery there have always been captured slaves who’ve been so whipped and brainwashed into submission to a point where they would betray and report runaway slaves to their master in order to save their own hides. Like Clarence Thomas, they’ve sold their souls to the demonic side (the Republican party) for money and power.

September 17, 2009 at 12:19 am |
  44. Carl Black (East Wenatchee washington

Look everyone knows that the few people who is behind joe wilson's out burst comment has color issues. It doesn't take rocket science for sensible people to understand this problem is bigger than the comment you lye. But what's sad is Mr. President Obama has to come out and say what the we all know is racial volume speaking loudly.
    That this is not a racial treatment. Mr President Obama is a very smart guy with a black wife and kids. He is not blind to this but, he has to please his voters. He was quick to voice his opinion about Kanye West. I wish He could say what he really feels but we all know he can't. Let me make this clear the President knows racism when he hears it and see's it.

September 17, 2009 at 12:13 am |
  45. Gautam C. Desai

Ex.President is right or wrong ? It is not a question to be discuss for hours and hours and with so many pundits.Every one knows what's going on right now.Racisim is not a knew thing .If all the humanbeing on the earth become God than only racisim will out.White and Black and majority of American do love our president.Only the greedy capitalist/businessmen/industrialist who thinks that president is forbid them and stop them from looting the poor people of America ,only those people are used the badwords for our president.

Gautam Desai.

September 17, 2009 at 12:02 am |
  46. JCOKUSA

The unfortunate reality is there are, and will always be, racism in ever ethnic group of people; worldwide. But thank God, they are such a minority. So even though a few "racist" show up at ligitimate political rallies or organized gatherings, unless they are the majority...they shouldn't even get air time. Yet shallow media reporters, in an effort to get their own air time and distract from the real message, always want to reach out and bring in the race card!

Just because you disagree with the opposite sex, doesn't make you a "sexist". Because you don't agree with someone of a different race, doesn't make you a racist. The majority of American, Republicans, Democrates or Independents, are not racist...so stop giving those few racist the limelight. And keep in mind, people can dislike you and your views for a number of reasons beyond race...so get over it! It doesn't matter if you are white, black, brown, yellow, purple or blue...the majority of people can find plenty of reasons to like or dislike you...they don't even need race.

So get over the race pointing and be greatful we live in a great country were racism is low at best...except in the media and in politics where it works well to distract from the overall message.

The message – the economy, our boys dying in foreign lands, political corruption and healthcare! Who has time for race!

September 17, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  47. Tye Feaster

Black people may be the minority Mike but what is the percentage of those that are on welfare black versus white. Who really cares anyway? You're still playing the race card when you ask questions like that but you'll get slammed if you look at percentages. I do know that the majority of black people are way more racist than than whites. There were more white people voting for Obama than any other democrat in history according to Andersen Cooper's show tonight. I was a car salesman for a while and have been personally asked to find someone else to sell them a car who is more like "them" (African Americans who have an Irish name because it was their "slave masters name") because they didn't want to buy a car from a white man. What if a white couple would have said that to a black salesman?
    This whole thing with Obama and the health care situation is a major concern for everyone and I'm sick of seeing those who whether they are black or white or hispanic or asian or mixed who don't work and don't try expect others to pay for their laziness because there is some societal benefit to remain poor. There are so many people out there who make too much money to qualify for so many programs and they are told to quit their jobs and they will qualify. Why do some think it's proper to reward those who don't work and then make it so hard on those who want to work and are out there every day trying to make a living?
    No matter what race you were born into, we are all people here living in this world and have no choice on the matter. The president of the United States of America is black. Enough of race already. You take a white man 100% qualified for a job and a black man who has no qualifications for that particualr job, whatever it may be (I do not believe in any differentiation between blacks and white intelligence: I believe all are equal) the black man may very well get the job because the company doesn't wan to be sued for racism. What about racism against whites? How is that fair? That's racism in it's own right. It is not right.
    I just hope Obama figures out a way to pay for all of this idiotic spending so my 14 month old isn't paying for his ideology for the next 74 years.

September 17, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  48. sayswho

When a race of people make up a small percentage of the total U. S. population, but account for the majority population in our prison system, that is institutionalized racism. Although there are EEO laws to supposedly insure equal employment, unemployment is still, and has always been,the highest in the African American community. Once again, institutionalized racism. Racism is the fabric of this capitalistic society. Racism is part of the culture and attitude of America; thus, when people make statements like "This isn't racism!" or "I'm not a racist!" or "This is about "healthcare;" this isn't about racism!", it's pure hogwash. This is the richest country on the planet and if you can afford healthcare, what's it to you if the next person has it too, whether they can afford it or not?

September 16, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  49. Mark, Ashburn VA

Jimmy Carter was the worst President in modern history. Why shouldn't he just continue that legacy as an "X" President. America was hailed by the world for our leadership in voting for a BLACK President. The only problem is he is the most liberal President we have ever had and the mistake is now apparent to those who voted for him out of GUILT and without properly looking at his policies. This is not about racism it is about his bad policies and the dismantling of our country.

September 16, 2009 at 11:55 pm |
  50. Priscilla

Yes racism is fueling the policies presented by President Obama. If racism was't a problem, why would any-one want other people to n ot have their basic needs met. I feel America is a country so rich everybody should have certain things to keep them safe and healthy.We can all still strive to have all the personal riches we want, but not on the backs of other people. Please allow racism and slavery die a natural death. By-the-way, Wells Fargo does not follow the hearse to the cemetery,so there is enough of everything for everybody and all we have to do realize we cannot eat but one meal at a time or wear one dress at a time.

September 16, 2009 at 11:54 pm |