September 14th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/14/09

This just into CNN: Actor Patrick Swayze has died at the age of 57 after battling pancreatic cancer. Tonight we look back at his Hollywood career.  Anderson will also talk with Barbara Walters, who was the first to interview him after his diagnosis. And, we'll dig deeper on the disease that killed him,  one of the deadliest there is.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jacqueline, NY

Kayne is Insane.

September 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  2. chris

That Kanye thing was staged, come on now!

September 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  3. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Kanye just couldn't contain the crazy anymore

September 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

It is sad to know that Elton John can not take the boy!
    This is so wrong ... which would best option that the boy would have?

September 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Danielle McDaniels

Kanye West (or Kanye Worst as I've referred to him for years) seemed to have been doing his own version of Jamie Foxx's song "Blame it on the Alcohol". Poor Taylor, she looked horrified.

September 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Kanye West should stop! Seriously... he's an amazing artist but just shut the mouth man!

September 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  7. Jan - Louisiana

Another great one passes to the other side. This has truly been a sad year. Patrick's determination and courage was an inspiration and he will be missed. His memory will stay alive through his many movies. Dirty Dancing, Ghost, Roadhouse, Pointbreak, etc. Last but not least, SNL Chippendale skit!! What a guy! What a body! We will remember you always, Patrick!

September 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Jay from upstate NY

I hope that I'm not alone with this. I'm going to refuse to listen to or purchase ANYTHING from Kanye West. Did Kanye have dinner with Mr. Wilson before or after President Obama's address?????

September 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

With a temper like that they may want to check Serena Williams' testosterone level.

September 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Gisselle - Big TX

RIP dear Patrick Swayze...my all time favorite GHOST. My condolences and well wishes are with his family.

September 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  11. Susan from Blacksburg VA

Glad to see you back from Afghanistan. I continue to be distressed at the tone taken by the right wing against President Obama. I didn't vote for, admire, or respect President George Bush but would treat him respectfully.

On another note – I live a few miles from Mountain Lake VA – the location of filming for "Dirty Dancing" – Patrick Swayze will always be special to us here in SW VA.

September 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Minou, New York City

Kanye was so out of line! How disrespectful.

September 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Wayne D Reading, PA

A great one have left us again RIP Patrick Swayze and may GOD Bless your family.

September 14, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Jon

god bless Patrick Swayze. My wife has Ovarian cancer–the forgotten cancer.

September 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  15. CAROLYN J

C lassic kanye they knew he is known for his realness and out burst's
    all i can say is that is kanye!!!

September 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  16. Pam - San Diego, CA

That Kayne West, thinks he can do what ever he wants. I was watching the news tonight and it keep showing him drinking from his bottle. He needs to be baned from the awards to teach him a lesson.

September 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  17. Luciana Shannon

Patrick Swayze was a major star of the 80s . I can recall watching Dirty Dancing and the people got up dancing to the music. That movie played for month every show was sold out. We lost a good actor and a kind soul .

September 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  18. Brad Burnsville, MN

My condolences to Patrick Swayze's famiy and friends. He fought the brave fight against this aggressive cancer. Patrick is an inspiration to everyone for how much he fought. We lost a relative in May 2008 after a 3 year battle herself. Lisa and the rest of the family, take care in this tough time. R I P Patrick.

September 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  19. Raj Kaushik

CNN is overlooking Patrick Swayze's powerful movie CITY OF JOY. I would always remember him for the missionary role he played in the movie.

CNN guys apart from Romantic movie like Dirty Dancing & Ghost, Patrick has worked in some movies of substance.

Raj

September 14, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Jacqueline, NY, I disagree.

September 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  21. Nora from Ar.

It's really sad about Annie Le.I hope they get the person that did this to her.It's sad when you aren't even safe to come out of your home! We aren't really safe there either!What is our world coming to.

September 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  22. Micki

Rest in peace, Patrick. God Bless.

September 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  23. Sue D

Hi Anderson, I am new to this but all I wanted to say is that I am sadden to hear of the passing of Patrick Swayze who will always be remembered as an amazing actor, dancer and wonderful man. My heart, prayers and thoughts go out to the Swayze family and friends.

September 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Kathy Chicago

I loved North and South also. I loved it. I feel for PS's family. I will keep them in my prayers.

September 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Jennifer - Michigan

That cancer is a horrible disease. My mom died from ovarian cancer – she got old so quickly and looked like some else. It was so weird and sad.

September 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  26. Cathy, VA

I am deeply saddened by the lost of Patrick Swayze. What a wonderful Actor of our time. He will be greatly missed. This year alone we have lost so many of our STARS!

September 14, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  27. Minou, New York City

Poor girl.

September 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Cheryl K. Sask Canada

I'm very sad to hear of Patrick Swayze passing. I like all of his work and actually forgot about North and South. I will miss him.

September 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  29. Anthonia-Bay Area

This doesnt sound right.. did investigators ask her husband about the disapperences??

September 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Pam - San Diego, CA

That poor little gal, stuffed inside a wall. How cold!! I hope they catch that person.

September 14, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  31. David, Indiana

Anderson, the doctor you had on talked about how pancreatic cancer presents, but is there screening for this type of cancer, blood work?any kinds of tests?

September 14, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  32. Mike Armstrong TX.

Hey Anderson its better to be late then never welcome back from hell.

September 14, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  33. karin los angeles

the movie swayze did with the words jule newmar in it was hysterical. he plays a man who dresses as a woman in a singing group. it was great. rent it.

September 14, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Maxine Charles

no words can describe my sadness

September 14, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  35. Pam - San Diego, CA

Glad your back Anderson!

September 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  36. andersoncnn

so many people tonite here have experienced loss of a loved one due to this terrible cancer... thank you for letting us know your experiences..

September 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  37. Danielle McDaniels

Welcome back AC

September 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  38. James

Anderson (and staff),

First let me thank you for your efforts from Afghanistan! I am glued to the tube when you air stories concerning this war and the wider national security scene. I'm always excited when I see your going to have on Peter Bergen, Michael Ware and Nic Robertson. I know that unfortunately the ratings are probably higher for Michael Jackson coverage and other sensational pop culture issues than for a war our soldiers are dying in but I appreciate you covering this issue as it should be covered. Thank you for that!

As someone who lose both grandfathers to pancreatic cancer I'm saddened to hear of Mr. Swayze's passing and I think you honor him by airing information regarding the facts about this nasty cancer.

September 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  39. Roger

The US, has very good presidents in the past we must hope Obama can become one of them, and the history will judge his presidency. All of us must move forward to bring a better future for all not to only a small group.

September 14, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  40. Carol

tell Mr. Wiliams, I'm a working class American that approves of Obama and his health care, and I think Mr. Williams is out of touch with reality. I'm tired of the right wing conservative fenatics

September 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Cynthia Newfoundland ,Canada

So sorry to hear of Patricks passing ...He was an inspiration to my sister in law who was diagnosed with cancer last year ,her fav saying is "if Patrick Swayze can beat this so can I ". Loved all his movies seen them all over and over .....His family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers ...God Bless you all...

September 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Danielle McDaniels

Mark Williams is a disgrace to every American. In his case I sincerely hope his comments were made under the influence, because no sane, sober person could possibly say the things he is saying . It is a dark day in America when one refers to the President as a welfare thug, racist and Nazi. We are regressing as a nation it seems.

September 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  43. LorenaR

if these tea party idiots don't want socialism, let them keep off the interstate highways, which are regulated by the federal gov't, stay away from the federally run national parks, and most importantly live without social security, Medicare and unemployment insurance, and start paying for their local schools so the federal government doesn't have to, oh, and if there is a catastrophic disaster in their state hopefully they will be able to handle it themselves without government help.

September 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  44. Corey

The disrespect being shown towards our president is ridiculous! How can people wish death on a man who is trying to help those without healthcare! Most of the protesters probably are without health insurance or medicare receipents!

September 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  45. Rachel, California

It's about race, look at those who are turning out for the "tea party" Mark Williams and those who are following him will lose this fight.

September 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  46. Lora

What is being done in this country to fight CANCER, and where can I go for this help?

September 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  47. Vicki Franks

These tea baggers are going beyond protesting. They are dehumanizing, they are inciting, they are so well organized with money.
    I am embarrassed to see them.

September 14, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  48. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

When people do not see improvements in their lives directly, it is understandable that they feel rising anger. But in the midst of a crisis, you feel the improvement is something that takes time!

September 14, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  49. Minou, New York City

@ Ivanka- welcome to the blog! cool to have someone from Croatia !

September 14, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Tosha

Anderson I didn't see any people of color in the weekend's protesters. Is Mark Williams for real? This is a small percent of ignorant white Americans angry because the president is black. When did ignorance and mean spirit become fashionable?

September 14, 2009 at 10:44 pm |