September 14th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/14/09

This just into CNN: Actor Patrick Swayze has died at the age of 57 after battling pancreatic cancer. Tonight we look back at his Hollywood career.  Anderson will also talk with Barbara Walters, who was the first to interview him after his diagnosis. And, we'll dig deeper on the disease that killed him,  one of the deadliest there is.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. VManning

If the people at these tea parties think Obama is leading us towards Marxism they need to read the communist manifesto and Obama's health care plan. Crazy!

September 14, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Kris, didn't you pay attention during the Bush years? He was protested more, and also more severely.

September 14, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Joyce in Ky.

Glad you are back safe, Anderson. As for the other news it frankly scares me. All the hatred and anger could result in some nut feeling justified in taking aim at Obama. I'm telling you if he is harmed we will relive 'North and South"..a civil war would break out in this country. The 'right wing' needs to pull back before someone takes things too far. I pray for Obamas' safety everyday. Please pundits, lawmakers, talk radio, preachers pull back on your words. Words can result in harm to someone.

September 14, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Linda-Portland, OR

i concur with Maureen Dowd....it is sad, but i think true...there are some who just will not accept President Obama just b/c of the color of his skin....remember, his is also half white!...good grief

September 14, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Mike Armstrong TX.

Yes there is racism but its caused from fear of leadership race.

September 14, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

They should pull out of the wars and get healthcare fixed . I don't get the protesters either .

September 14, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  7. David Clark

Guys like this Mark Williams are more of the problem than the solution. He is drumming up support for an offensive small group of ignorant people who wouldn't know socialism if they fell into it. It's ALL about President Obama's COLOR!

September 14, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Deb

My heart is truely sadden with the passing of Patrick Swayze. I will always remember him as one of greatest actors and dancers in my life time. We truely have lost a great sexy man.

September 14, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Nora from Ar.

Next to kin was another good movie.I beleive he played with his brother that one.He has always put his heart and sole in his movies and that is why they was so good.

September 14, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  10. kelly allentown, Pa

My heart goes out to the Swayze family. I feel like i lost a friend. Heaven has truly gained a precious angel today. He will be preforming with Michael Jackson I'm sure. RIP my friend.

September 14, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Gaile

I think the people of the United States should study fully the health care systems of other counties and know that we in Canada have a great health care system and we ARE NOT FASCIST because of our Governments involvement. OUR HEALTH CARE SYSTEM WORKS!!!

12. Kathryn M, Garnerville, NY

Though no one is perfect, but I applaud this Health Care Reform and President Obama's passion to move it forward.

This Tea Party idea is a mockery.

13. Paul

James Carville is right on the money in saying "Mark Williams is a Neo-Confederate!"

14. Brian Laan

Americans don't need to fear health care reform. Canada, Britain and France have government funded health care. The health care providers are private. Canadians live longer and have a lower infant mortality rate than Americans. Health decisions are made by doctors based on medical need, not the size of your wallet. y the way, our cost is almost half of what the US pays. The American health care user should not be afraid of higher higher care at a lower cost. American health care workers and the HMO's are afraid of making less.

15. Dodie - California

President Obama is not the first president that was called a communist and socialist by many Americans...

16. Cathy Gray

To answer the question about 'why go through the chemo?' I'm sure it's different for everyone, but when you are told you only have 'x' number of weeks/months to live and that this might give you more time....you will do almost anything to keep on living. Yes, chemo was hell. Would I do it again? Yes. When it would come to a time where they told me there was absolutely no hope....then I probably wouldn't. But I have survived for 6 years (last chemo was in July 2003) and I will do it again if I think it will give me close to the same result I have had this past 6 years.

As for him continuing to work, the answer about not letting the cancer be in control was pretty much right on. Also, when you go through this, all you want is to be 'normal' again. For most of us, work is a normal part of our lives and so we want to continue to work no matter how bad we feel.

As to the question of how likely are you to get this cancer. I only wish there was an answer for that one....I can tell you that the people I have encountered with this disease come from all different races, ages, lifestyles.....what you see on the web sites and articles really isn't accurate. It can strike just about anyone.

17. Betsy

I can't believe that Mark Williams is laughing about the signs referring to Senator Kennedy's death. When did disagreeing with someone become synonomous with being disrespectful and crass?

18. LorenaR

painting these demonstrators with a broad brush? just look at the visual proof, pictures do not lie. i don't see too many people of color, people who look like the ones i see every day. i doubt whether these are poor or lower class people. where are the blacks, asians, hispanics, native americans, immigrant people? where are the americans of middle eastern descent? i don't see too many of them. they DO NOT look like a microcosm of America; they really do look like white middle class old or elderly americans. and i am trying to be objective.

19. Tammy, Houma, LA

My doctoral mentor died of pancreatic and liver cancer 12 years ago. Two weeks later my "second dad" died of the same horrible diseases. It was an unreal month. Sadly it seems not a whole lot has changed for many who've lost the battle.

20. John Smith

Hatred is never productive. The anger of some may be legitimate, but the messages are full of darkness and bile. Nothing is going to be achieved except to upset those who are vulnerable. These are not Americans in the traditional sense and denigrate our nation.

21. Minou, New York City

Funny how people like to throw around the word "democracy". The US is NOT a democracy, it's a REPUBLIC!

22. Fay - California

There was no broad cross section represented in those anti-Obama rallies–it was pretty clear that there were disturbing racist undertones within the crowds protesting the current administration.

23. Cynthia, NC

The sign that James held up, as well as the one of President Obama as a Witch Doctor, are disgraceful. In what world do these people live in? Such hatred that just isn't necessary.

September 14, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  24. matt.b san bernardino,ca

Where was Mark Williiams when Bush the Skull and Bones men and his Secret society agenda was stepping all over the Cobstitution.

September 14, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  25. Laurence

Mr Tea Party and his followers, whom I suspect are not that many, should be ashamed of themselves, they are anti democracy, period.
    And it's a really a pity that such a small number of nasty people are given that much consideration. They are just a nasty circus.
    Is that the image they want the world to see?

September 14, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  26. Lisa

Hello Anderson and crew! Was extremely sad to hear about Patrick Swayze. He was a great actor and made you believe you were a part of the movie instead of watching it. Cancer is a horrible thing and praying a cure will be found soon. My prayers go to Patrick's family!

September 14, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  27. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Thanks for having the doctor on the show to sort out the truth behind cancer the worst disease in the world i wish it would be cured i pray it will be .

September 14, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  28. Nan

this is a big movement and is going to get bigger we are not going off the rails! Liberals can protest but conservatives can't....Democrats called Bush hilter, etc.

September 14, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  29. Liz A.

I do not understand why the media and Democrats do not or will not understand that these Tea Parties are for real! I have not partcipated-YET!
    I have a college degree and my husband is a doctor and he (we)is appalled at the misinformation coming from the administration.
    So, Washington is going to pay him less, make him see more patients, increase the paperwork and bureaucracy and raise our taxes....sounds wonderful-sounds like its time to find another job!
    God Bless America!!

September 14, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  30. Elaine

I find it amazing that this guy mark thinks this stuff is funny. It is sad hate has become funny.

September 14, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  31. LisaL - Canada

@starr-fv Cathy Crowley’s report was excellent!
    i totally agree with you.

September 14, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  32. Sherry

Coverage of these protesters is tedium. I have stopped watching. I am done with it since news has become a presentation of drama.

Though you represent the most intelligent and objective take on this stuff, I just cannot bear looking at it anymore.

September 14, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  33. Roger

My best wishes to Patrick Swayze's family, he is an example for all of us against the adversity

September 14, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I didn't vote for Bush, but I seem to remember plenty of vitriol spewed at him for years.

So much for the big "uniter."

35. Dodie - California

My words to Wilson...

He has many lessons to learn. One of which is.............

( A Closed Mouth Gathers No Foot!! )

36. Chip Larrimore

Do any of these people who are protesting President Obama's plan actually understand the terms they are using? Marxism is a political system. Facism is a political system. These are economic policies being proposed and they are far from socialism.

37. Kay

Whatever happen to all these protestors when Pres. Bush was in the white house.. How come no one took to the streets when our kids are dying in a war that we're still not clear what we are fighting about, mothers, fathers lost jobs and homes.. Lets not forget that Pres. Obama is clearing just cleaning up what the republicans messed up.. Lets get it together people..

38. Robin Aughtman

Im very upset to hear that Patrick Swayze has passed away. He has been in my life for many years. And to hear the news this evening my feelings were mixed. Its not like losing only an icon in my generation but I feel like Ive lost a friend. He was a wonderful actor, dancer and singer but most of all he was a wonderful person too! He will be greatly missed but his legacy will be remembered by his fans, friends, family and the wonderful memories he has given us! My prayers to his family and friends,

Robin Aughtman

39. Kathie

So sorry to hear of Patrick Swayze's death – I've always admired his work, and wonder why no-one ever mentions his performance in the TV movie "King Solomon's Mines".

40. Donna

my prayers go out to the family of Patrick Swayze, he will be sadly missed among the entertainment world, he was so talented and showed such bravery as he fought this horrible cancer.

41. kallo

these arguments are racely motivated. we need to come together because we are crossing a difficult time. love and peace

42. Reinhard

The hate towards our President is nothing else then racism, plain and simple.
    Wondering if the really know the difference between a marxist and nazi

43. Sheila Hodgin, Va Beach VA

Dirty Dancing is one of my all time favorite movies, and one of many I enjoyed with Patrick staring. It was filmed here in Virginia and when the movie was re-released in theaters for it's 20th anniversary, my girlfriends and I went to see it on the big screen. My best memory was hearing the entire movie theater cheer when he spoke that famous line... "Nobody puts Baby in the corner". He fought with courage and grace and now...he dances among the stars in heaven. May he rest in peace.

44. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Jo Ann. I agree, at least Wilson apologized but Reid never has.

45. Kris

Why is racism okay when it relates to President Obama. Would the same type of cynicism, hyperbole, and pure hatred against a white American President be called anti American and unpatriotic or just "democracy at work"? It is so sad.

46. Melissa Corkern

Here's another stat for you...only 2% of the National Cancer Institue's budget goes to pancreatic cancer research!!

47. Marty

I really enjoyed your coverage of Afghanistan. From what i understand you had lunch with my son. Cpl Alex Rees. However, I am disappointed that he never made it on film. I would have loved to see his smile and hear his voice. But thanks again for the great coverage. It helped me a great deal to understand what he is living through.

48. Paul

"Bury Barack Obama Health Care with Kennedy" is the most disgusting anti-American sentiment that I have not seen since the JFK years of the early 60's. This is Racism rising its ugly Head!

49. Minou, New York City

I just don't get these protesters...

50. Linda Samis

Obama should just declare that he is pulling out of two wars...to pay for Health Care, whatever the cost. Can't believe no one is upset about "the cost of the wars"...we know really this is about covering people of color. Vancouver, B.C.

September 14, 2009 at 10:35 pm |