September 14th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/14/09

This just into CNN: Actor Patrick Swayze has died at the age of 57 after battling pancreatic cancer. Tonight we look back at his Hollywood career.  Anderson will also talk with Barbara Walters, who was the first to interview him after his diagnosis. And, we'll dig deeper on the disease that killed him,  one of the deadliest there is.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

They should have tape of her on the camera in the building .How could someone have done this this is sick and tragic .

September 14, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Anderson the personal vitriol against Bush was much worse than now. Where was the outrage then?

September 14, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Renee

While I would not have the time or inclination to participate, it is our right as Americans to protest the government. Also there were no deaths, no fires, no shootings that I have seen reported. What's the problem, this is America?

September 14, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Cindy Diamond canada

Dirty Dancing, Who did bot wwant to be baby, Right. My dad passed 7 years ago from colon cancer. He was given 3 months to live, but lasted 7 womderful years after. It is the dirtisest word in the English language,CANCER. I hope all who suffer fron this dreaded disease will find some solace in Patricks greta courage.

September 14, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  5. Rachel Houston- Texas

GO JAMES! I so love him! 🙂

September 14, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  6. Pam - San Diego, CA

The Outsiders was a good movie. The "stars" weren't realy stars back then.

September 14, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  7. Dodie - California

@ Chris Sosa – Boston, MA

I completely agree.

The exact same thing happened in the 1940s when Pres Truman looked at social security. Everyone called him a socialist and communist. I hope Pres. Obama is aware of this

September 14, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  8. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Public outbursts while the President is speaking is now courageous? :-/

I'm with James, these people's behavior is wrong and disgusting.

September 14, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Bridget

I have always been a huge fan of Patrick Swayze, loosing someone to cancer is all too familiar to me . I lost my father last year to prostate cancer and I know the pain and heartache it inflicts on people we love. My heart goes out to my favorite actor and his family. You will always be remembered.

September 14, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  10. WethePeople2009

I am an Independent and voted for George W. Bush for his first term, but not the second term as I do not support the war in Iraq. We were lied to – it was not Saddam Hussein that ordered the attack on the U.S. it was Osama Bin Ladan.

Despite all of this I respected George W. Bush as my President for all of his 8 years in office…I did not join a name calling war against him. We are all Americans and thank God for that!

September 14, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Sabrina

Wow I can't believe we are loseing so manny stars. its heartbreaking
    i rember watching Ghost as a kid and being so inspired by Mr. Patrick Swayze <3

September 14, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The truth is Wilson expressed what many Americans are saying.

BTW, Harry Reid called Bush both a liar and a loser. He may have been right as well, but let's not be hypocritical, both sides have done it.

September 14, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Angela – Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic,
    Me too!!!! I do love watch funny movie "To Wong Foo." It was great movie I have seen! I do agree with you.

September 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  14. Melissa Corkern

Thank you Anderson for finally getting the info out about pancreatic cancer. It is a shame that Patrick had to die for this to happen, but the public needs to know about this horrible disease.

September 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  15. Jennifer - Michigan

Who is Mark Wiliams anyway – what a weird interview. strange.

September 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Chris Sosa, communism is too extreme a label. Socialism is not. The government owns more and more of the means of production: auto industry, banks, and now health care. That is socialism.

September 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Dirty Dancing t was my fave and aand no one can forget the line Nobody puts Baby in a corner !

September 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Laurence

Re. Tea party: don't those people have a dictionary at home? Did they listen in history class? may be they forgot their history, but they should check the definition for socialism and marxist!!!!
    Mr. Tea Party lied himself, the people who voted for Obama knew about the health plan, so why would they be surprised?!

September 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  19. Marie Lussoro and Mom

"Keep the compass focused and eventually you'll get there"", beautiful words and advise to his grandson on how to sail as well as how to encounter the difficulties in life. I am a breast cancer survivor and my aunt died from pancreatic cancer. It's so moving to read the blogs from those who have had cancer or know those who suffered from it. Their courage inspires me and I pray that the Swayze family will be comforted from their faith,family and friends. There's a star in heaven tonight.

September 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Bill

I think the tea parties are representative of the worst in our country. It is sad that the uneducated are so easily swayed.

September 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  21. ann

My prayers go out to Patrick's family. He fought bravely. I lost my beloved brother to pancreatic cancer at the age of 58. I only hope that Patrick's death will bring more attention to this type of cancer which is a death sentence at this time.

September 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Marilyn NJ

My dear husband, died 9 months after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at age 55. There are really no tests available to help detect an early stage. Who can become a spokes person when really no one survives? I am so sad for his family and many others that are dealing with the same situation. God BLess

September 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  23. Shelia

I know what Patrick's family is going through. Dec 23, 2006 my beloved husband Ed lost his battle with the same cancer. We found out in Oct of 2004 and we became warriors against this monster we could not see. I have followed Patrick and his family as they followed the same road we did and I prayed let him be the one who beats this. Now because of Patrick , this cancer now has a larger spot light on it and people see it as the worse killer of all. One of my husband's doctors called it the "Slient Cancer". I will continue to fight for more research and some day a cure for this monster and I will do it in memeory of Patrick and my Ed. God bless the Swayze family and Patrick, dance with the Angels forever!

September 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  24. Cynthia

We have lost so many in the entertainment industry this year.
    Patrick fought a courageous battle and was an inspiration to us all. My heart goes out to his beloved wife and family. RIP Patrick. You will be missed but your films will keep your spirit alive in our hearts and mind.

September 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  25. suzy koehler

Hi Anderson. You were right about the saying: "There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man." Winston Churchill said it first according to the Quotable Horse Lover book. Thanks for the good coverage on Patrick Swayze.

September 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  26. starr, formerly known as vincent

Cathy Crowley's report was excellent!

Government over-reach? GW established the Patriot Act, Taping telephone conversations, and GW was the one who allowed the economic downfall!

GW also bailed the Banks out!

Some peoples' memories are very short. Pres. Obama has only been in office for 8 months!!

September 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Sabrina in Los Angeles

I can only hope that they catch the killer quickly.

S/he has to be on surveillance video entering leaving and also having a key card to swipe on the door...that alone has to limit the suspects!

So tragic and sick to say the least.

September 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  28. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

I am confused. What could the prez have done to keep the people out of a depression as bad as the 20's and keep all the people happy? The answer is nothing. They keep expecting this man to walk on water and feed the masses with one fish and one loaf of bread. That isn't happening.

September 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  29. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The eight years Bush had office, the tea party was not dancing in the street. Why now?

September 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Pam - San Diego, CA

That is very interesting Patt. I hope you keep us updated thru AC's blogs.

September 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  31. Lorraine

my prayers and thoughts are with Patrick Swayze family. May he rip.

September 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Ramona, Jackson, MS

I am just heart-broken learning of the death of Patrick Swayze; so talented and one of my favorite actors; he was very brave and courageous in battling his illness. My thoughts and prayers go out to
    his family.

September 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Stacie

Hi Anderson. Just wanted to say how sad I am to hear about my favorite actor Patrick Sawayze. I know all too well about pancreatic cancer. My best friend, my precious mom ,died 29 months ago from it. She never smoked,was trim,took great care of her body,watched what she ate and was very active. She died right after her 69th birthday.
    My heart goes out to Patrick's wife Lisa, his family and friends.
    Wow! What a battle he fought...just like my mom.
    God speed Patrick...

September 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Minou, New York City

Ah, yes, North and South! Loooved that one! Gotta check Netflix for it.

September 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  35. Barb

Patrick Swayze. What a loss for us! My heart goes out to his Family.
    His life may not have been perfect, but he was an inspiration to generations. R.I.P. Patrick. You will never be forgotten.

September 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Amanda Phillips

I am very sorry for his family! I know how it feels to lose someone to this cancer. Patrick Swayze and my grandmother both found out they had this nasty and horriable cancer! I lost my grandmother in Jan. I know what his family is going threw and my thoughts and prayers are with hima and his family! GOD REST HIS SOUL!!!

September 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Fighting words are too common now witht he prtoesters at the town hall meetings nothing can be resolved through fists and yelling .

September 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  38. wanda akin

It is very said to here that Patrick has died. I am not much older than him. His moves is the first I remember watching.I also am blatting cancer.So ican truely undersstand what his family is going throught.

September 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  39. Emily, Canada

Anderson, great to see you back in the CNN Studio! 🙂

This was awful to just read about the death of Patrick Swayze. I thought that he was a modern day version of Gene Kelly in those Classic Films.

I mainly remember Swayze as "Johnny Castle"; I never before thought that dancing on a log about ground could be so....Wow!

Rest in Peace P.S.
    Your Movies will live on.

September 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Tasha

So shocking to hear about Patrick. He was so truly talented and loved and admired by so many. Someone, that anyone, could be friends with.

I have a sister who is five years old than me, we were good friends growing up and it was because of her that I became a fan of his. But it was his talent on the screen and his strength in his personal life that I have the up most respect for him!!

September 14, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  41. Nancy, WI

I'm so sad to see that Patrick Swayze lost his battle...he was such a fighter.
    Many, many times when I've been feeling down I have put on Dirty Dancing and it always lifted my spirits. It's hard to think that such an incredible actor, dancer, and great person is gone at this young age...my age as well.
    Can't help but think of him in "Ghost".
    May he have peace in death.......my sincerest sympathies to his family.

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Nora from Ar.

I'll pray for his family.The hardest thing for me to say is that I'm sorry he has past.I feel he was one of the best actors there was.My heart goes out to his family.

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Kathy

Patrick we will miss you- RIP

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Jane - Vt

Are these people just nuts? I just can't wrap my brain around all this hatred?

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  45. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I can't handle much more of this moronic babble about communism. These people need to head back to a civics class or pick up a history book. Maybe then they'll quit tossing around terms they don't understand.

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Scott

So long my friend I enjoyed our time on Uncommon Valor movie, Patrick was a wonderful and such caring person, whom I shall deeply miss, he played my part from my book BOHICA filmed as Uncommon Valor with Gene Hackman and others. He was great to all us Veterans.

God Love ya
    Scott Barnes
    BOHICA

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  47. Jake

Joe Wilson did restrain himself. He did not say what he was thinking "You lie, boy". Very sad state our country is in. They can't spell socialism much less define it.

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  48. David

I was afraid I would hear this sad news soon. I grew up watching Patrick Swayze from "The Outsiders", to the 1985 mini series "North and South", that's when I was captivated by his acting skills. He was a true Southerner and a nice guy, the kind of man anyone could approach and say hello to or shake his hand. I consider him one of my favorite actors and I don't think he can ever be replaced. God bless you Patrick Swayze, you will be thought of often and missed forever!

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  49. Stephanie

Patrick was a wonderful actor..I watched Dirty Dancing as a child, then onto to Ghost.. what a sad sad loss it is to lose him. He made his way into all of our homes and our hearts, may the "higher power" be with his wife Lisa and his family during this sad time. He will forever remain in our hearts....

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  50. Yvonne Johnson

Patrick was an amazing fighter, dancer, actor and everything he has done he did well. The movie Dirty Dancing has always been important to me, because the whirlwind love and romance that Baby and Johnny had, I have with my own husband, and still do. It is in my opinion, the best romantic movie ever. Let’s NOT forget the incredible role he played in the miniseries of the NORTH and THE SOUTH!!!! How remarkable! Rest in peace my friend, we love you and will miss you, but you will never be forgotten in our home and our hearts. To Lisa, his fans will be here and will support you and carry you in your time of grief. God Bless you and thank you for taking such good care of him

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |