September 14th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/14/09

This just into CNN: Actor Patrick Swayze has died at the age of 57 after battling pancreatic cancer. Tonight we look back at his Hollywood career.  Anderson will also talk with Barbara Walters, who was the first to interview him after his diagnosis. And, we'll dig deeper on the disease that killed him,  one of the deadliest there is.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Jacqueline, NY

Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio "The only people making this about race are the Obama supporters."

Not!

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  2. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Patrick was so rpmantic in the leading roles i forgot about North and South ,Teri Garber was in that too there are so many memories.

September 14, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  3. Vickie_AR

@Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio
    The only people making this about race are the Obama supporters.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Did you see some of those signs? Some of those people are nuts!

September 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  4. Minou, New York City

good grief, who is this Mark and why are we giving him attention?

September 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I know people who voted for Obama, including my own brother, who are not very happy with him right now.

September 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio,
    Maybe..... I think so..... I am sure it was genetic.

September 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  7. Sharon Asgari

Anderson, this physician says that a CT scan is the best way to diagnose pancreatic Cancer. This is not true. Endoscopic Ultrasound finds pancreatic cancer before CT scan or MRI scan. Please inform the public on the importance of having this simple exam. It is a little more involved than a simple endoscopy of the stomach and requires additional training of gastroenterologists, but is at the cutting edge of detection of this type of cancer!!!

September 14, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  8. Nita

My prayers and sympathy go to his family. It was a joy to watch his work. Such joy!! May his wife find comfort in knowing that others share in her loss.

September 14, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  9. Sabrina in Los Angeles

listen to the complaints instead of getting involved in a fist-to-cuffs event.

That is the only way to resolve the issues....listen and try to resolve.

September 14, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  10. Anita-Butler Pa

Patrick Swayze will be all that knew him.My heart goes out to the family,I know what that are going through. I lost my dad to the same thing 12 years ago.Swayze let behind wonderful memories by all who knew him and those who worked with him(just like my dad did)

September 14, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

My mother's cousin had pancratic cancer too.Her cousin and her father suffered from the disease it's terrible

September 14, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Bill

These tea party people are scary.

September 14, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  13. Venessa

R.I.P. Patrick Swayze, I truly had the time of my life with your movies. I fell in love with you in Dirty Dancing and it just got better from there. Losing you is like losing a part of my childhood. Bittersweet right before my 30th birthday. You fought a good fight and your courage was amazing.

14. Teresa

So sad.........I have great memories growing up and some of those include watching Patrick Swayze's Dirty Dancing countless times with my mom. I was a pre-teenager at the time and took dance. Loved most of the movies that he followed with. Was a great human being and a truly devoted husband. Everyone wishes for that kind of love. He was lucky enough to have found it in his short time here. My heart and prayers go out to his wife and family.

15. Stephanie

Hello i just wanted to say that i can not believe that Patrick Swayze has passed away... He is my favorite actor of all time. I will never forget Dirty Dancing.. Thats my favorite movie of all times.. I will alway remember Patrick Swayze.

R.I.P you will be missed very much i love you patrick swayze forever

16. ericacnn

@Frank – I LOVED "North and South"...also watched with my big sis

17. Lisa, in PA

So sad to see Patrick Swayze lost his battle with this disease. I not only remember his two most famous movies, but also, the first time I saw him in the starring role in the 1980's mini-series, North and South. He was very talented as an actor and it showed in his work in that mini-series. That is a very hard feat to accomplish in its length and I remember his passionate acting in bringing his character to life. He certainly was a multi-talented entertainer. He will be missed and my thoughts and prayers are with his family, esp. his devoted wife.

18. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The big problem for President Obama, a year later, is that it does not have much to say about changes in rules of operation of the financial market.

19. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Again with the race card? Why is any objection to the most liberal policies in 100 years have to be labelled racism?

20. Julie

Patrick Swayze. America has lost yet another all time great. King of the dance floor. Such a sad year.

21. Roberta

How many times did I jump around my living room as a teenager, trying to re-create the last dance from Dirty Dancing?
    Patrick was a true class act in both his career and his personal life and will be dearly missed.
    Prayers to his family tonight.....

22. Michelle D . Fonthill. Ont

Hello Anderson
    Nice to have you back home .

It's so sad the world has lost so many important people this year it's been such a wirlwild and now Patrick Swayze my prayers go out to his family .

23. Jimmy P New Zealand

Sad news about Patrick Swayze,was a good actor,i loved Roadhouse and point break. thanks for the memories bro

24. sue

I remember seeing Patrick Swayze for the first time in the mini series North and South. That's when I became a fan. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I will truly miss seeing him in movies or TV.

25. Fiona Howell

My thoughts and prayers are with Patrick Swayze's family tonight, what a sad time for them. I am losing my Grandmother to cancer right now, and so I feel for this family. I know what I am going through knowing how much my grandmother is suffering, I hope that they find peace and comfort at this time. R.I.P Patrick.

26. dodo

Another beautiful light has left us, so sad. The thing i will remember the most about him is his dancing, oh it was just amazing to watch. The movies will be with me forever: Dirty Dancing-Ghost meant so much to me. I couldnt look back on my life and imagine it without his movies. My love and prayers go out to his family and friends. Patrick Swayze will always be in my memories and heart. We may no longer see his beautiful light in movies or the dance floor but his light will forever shine in my heart.

27. jane

'Racist- in-Chief?" Did I just hear this on CNN? This man should be ushered off your network! Is CNN in league with the likes of this man? You should not be taking a look at the backlash on Pres. Obama; you should be denouncing this kind of talk for what it is! What do you think will be the outcome for our country if the media remains silent and participates in outlandish claims such as this. "Racist-in-Chief." I think not.

September 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The only people making this about race are the Obama supporters.

September 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Virginia P

Good evening Anderson. Glad you are back safe and sound.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Patricks family. He was a wonderful person and a great actor. Thank God we have his wonderful movies to enjoy for ever. My favorites, Dirty Dancing and Ghost.

Godspeed Patrick, you will be missed very much.

September 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  30. Rhonda

Hi Anderson. First of all, I would like to say that I love your show and watch you nightly. You are great!
    I was so sad to hear of Patrick Swayze's death today. I loved him as an actor and as a person. I followed his career from as early as the 1980's and 2 of my all time favorites being "Dirty Dancing" and "Ghost". He will be missed dearly and my thoughts & prayers go out to his family as well. I truly hope that his death will bring more people to study and know about pancreatic cancer and learn of the early signs of this disease.

September 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  31. David, Indiana

I feel like we're losing a lot of stars.

@Isabel, I'm sure just about every teenage girl in the world danced with Patrick Swayze, but he showed how dancing can be enjoyable for men and women, just showed how it can be shld be done, not saying this well, and Dirty Dancing is a timeless film.

September 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Ted

These people seem uneducated, scared and just plain bad. I think race does have something to do with it.

September 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Jacqueline, NY

@Jessica Dwyer I haven't forgotten.

Though Mr. Swayze was great in all of his roles, North and South is my all time favorite Patrick Swayze piece.

September 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  34. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

My favorite Patrick Swayze's movie its To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar... Absolutly amazing!

September 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  35. Pat

So sad to hear that Patrick lost his battle with pancreatic cancer.
    We loved his movies and his tough yet gentle spirit.
    May you rest in peace Patrick.

My brother Don passed away on March 11, 2008 also of pancreatic cancer. It is an awful fight.

peace to all especially those who are suffering of cancer.

September 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  36. Scott

So long my friend I enjoyed our time on Uncommon Valor movie, Patrick was a wonderful and such caring person, whom I shall deeply miss, he played my part from my book BOHICA filled as Uncommon Valor with Gene Hackman and others. He was great to all us Veterans.

God Love ya
    Scott Barnes
    BOHICA

September 14, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  37. niwat, Chicago

Hi everyone.
    Mr Cooper, feel better and get well soon.
    What a saddened tragedy how Patrick's cancer battling had ended, My heart goes out to his family and friends.

September 14, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Patt

My husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer accidently 3 years ago while trying to pass a kidney stone. They removed the tumor and he was cancer free for 3 years. Last month they found 3 new tumors. They are treating them with a new procedure they usually use on other types of cancer. They implant a radiation pill/seed directly into the tumors. As of last week all but 1 had completey disolved and the third was 78% dissolved. While this cancer is usually fatal, I would like for people to know that new technology is being introduced all the time and there is hope! We will miss patrick Swayze. he put up a valiant fight. RIP Patrick!

September 14, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  39. Janet

Such a great dancer. He went too soon.

September 14, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  40. Pam - San Diego, CA

@Jason – Glad to hear that. He seemed like a really nice guy even though I never met him. Well, he loved animals – that tells you he was a kind person.

September 14, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  41. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I don't think that was an anti-Obama march, it was an anti-big government spending march.

September 14, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  42. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

The Outsiders was an excellent movie... if you haven't seen it, definitely rent.

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  43. Renee & Nick

This year has been full of many losses of great people from dearest Farrah, Michael and now Patrick. Although we knew the inevitable was ahead, nobody wanted to believe our beloved Dirty Dancer would be gone. He fought a long and very courageous battle. Our hearts and prayers are with Patrick's wife, Lisa, especially, and all of his family & friends who were lucky enough to know such a strong determined man. RIP Patrick Swayze you will be missed greatly.

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  44. Valerie

I already mourn this day, as it is my deceased brothers birthday.Now I have another reason to grieve. Patrick swayze was not the "typical" Hollywood actor, and I admire him for staying grounded and being a family man and role model. I am in my early thirties, and can remember the first time I saw Dirty Dancing and Ghost. Patrick Swayze had a captivating personality, and his on screen presence was amazing. R.I.P Patrick, you will NEVER be forgotten!!

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  45. Jen, Albany NY

I am so sorry to hear of Patrick Swayze's death. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family. I will always smile when I think of him in Dirty Dancing, "Nobody puts baby in the corner" and the SNL Chippendales sketch of him and Chris Farley. He was talented and seemed like a very down to earth person. He will be missed.

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Mike Armstrong TX.

I loved red dawn its just so sad that there wont be a red dawn two with the star.

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Carol

Hello Anderson,
    My brother Bruce, passed away March 27, 2007 from Pancreatic Cancer. I know firsthand what it is like to see your loved one suffer ever so much from this horrible disease. Although we lived 300 or so miles from each other, I talked to him & his wife every day. He was in so much horrible pain. He had lost 90 pounds during the year after diagnosis. I hope that they find some kind of cure soon. My brother smoked and was a Type 1 diabetic. We found out that is a very strong reason for the cause of this disease for some.

My thoughts are with Patrick's family. He was one of my favorite actors.
    He was 57 at his passing, my brother was 55. Far too young for both.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment.
    Carol

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Angela

Patrick Swayze seemed so much more than just an actor; he presented himself as a decent human being, a faithful husband, and a person who knew who he was and what his station in life was. Godspeed Patrick, thanks for the memories and the good example.

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Mary

All I have to say is "ditto" to everyone's blogs.

Goodbye Patrick Swayze! We will miss you!

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  50. Mariann Cheney

Pancreatic Cancer has been an almost 5 year journey for my husband who was diagnosed in January 2005. He is one of the few lucky ones who is without evidence of disease and was successfully treated. The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network has been instrumental in providing us, the Pancreatic Cancer Community a vehicle to help fund this deadly disease and help reasearchers find early detection methods. Our story is memorialized on the Columbia University Medical Center Pancreas Center site in NY. We encourage anyone who has been touched by this disease to contact the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and to get information and to speak to survivors like my husband in their survivor network.
    Our prayers are with the Swayze family.

Mariann Cheney