September 14th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/14/09

This just into CNN: Actor Patrick Swayze has died at the age of 57 after battling pancreatic cancer. Tonight we look back at his Hollywood career.  Anderson will also talk with Barbara Walters, who was the first to interview him after his diagnosis. And, we'll dig deeper on the disease that killed him,  one of the deadliest there is.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. anna

The news of the Yale murder, Patrick Swayze etc.... is very sad. please leave the angry protestors in Washington DC off the TV screen. Their behavior is tedious and not worthy of so much air time.

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  2. Laurie

I am so sad about Patrick Swayze. This guy was a superstar to me. Him and all the guys in the Outsiders. I loved Red Dawn and Ghost and of course Dirty Dancing. Where are all the sexy studly actors like him? I guess they are a dieing breed. I hope they find a cure for pancreatic cancer really soon. 57 is much too young to die. If he can't fight this disease then it seems there is no hope. Hey Drs and Scientists! Get busy on this one.

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  3. Chuk Hickman

I will miss Patrick Swayze , I watch his movies over and over and sometimes my girlfriend cant stand it ... But it takes me back to great times watching great movies ... Patrick , I hope and pray you are in Heaven with both of your fathers right now !!! God Bless

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  4. Renee Houston- Texas

I am from Houston and can remember Patrick when I was 13, Patrick was 15. My best friend danced at his Mother's studio in Houston. He was an incredible dancer then and this is a huge loss to all. What an incredible dancer, fighter, & family man. Bless his family.

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  5. Lynne

Before most people ever heard of Patrick Swayze, I fell in love with Orry Main in North and South. Since then, I was always drawn to the passionate characters he portrayed. I am sad tonight that the life of such a wonderful actor has come to an end. He seemed like a genuinely good man and my heart goes out to his family and friends.

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Kody

So so sad..An icon that will always be remembered for his role in Dirty Dancing and his talent.

September 14, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  7. Carly

Wow,had such a crush on Patrick Swayze as a child,LOL! I drove my parents crazy because I wanted to see "Dirty Dancing" over and over again! RIP Patrick. My prayers are with his family and friends. 🙁

September 14, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Troy

Patrick Swayze was an awsome fighter...Always wanted to be a good fighter like him... R.I.P Patrick! Prayers are out.

September 14, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Maria Long Island, NY

I am so sad over the loss of Patrick Swayze. He was a great inspiration to me in how he dealt with this terrible disease. My heart goes out to his family and especially his wife Lisa. I have been a fan of his since North and South. He was a terrific actor, dancer and singer. He seemed to be a humble man, and boy could he dance. He will be dancing in Heaven forever. Rest in peace Patrick. Only the good die young. You will be sorely missed.

September 14, 2009 at 10:23 pm |
  10. LorenaR

on the death of Annie Le at Yale – there were 70 cameras trained on the doors and entrances of that building, is this normal for a college building? was it because they were conducting research on animals?

September 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  11. Curtiss Davis

My husband, Ed, found out he had pancreatic cancer the same time Patrick did. Hollings Cancer Center in Charleston, SC, stated he had only 4 months to live and he died in 4 months 5 days later. I have since heard that diabetes and smoking is related to this cancer.
    I really hoped Patrick would make it and be a spokes person for this cancer.
    I have watched Dirty Dancing atleast 25 times. He was great!

September 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  12. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ Cathy Gray – your remarks were wonderful.

I applaude your 6 year survival of panceatic cancer!. How are you doing it? Is it diet, chemo, both? Other treatments? Please share with us your story.

September 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Erica, I had forgotten about Red Dawn. That was a great movie.

September 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  14. Anthonia-Bay Area

Is patriotic cancer hereditary? or does the cancer develop over time?

September 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  15. Sabrina in Los Angeles

I think the diabetic link is because the pancreas regulates/creates insulin and that is directly related.

So sad.

September 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  16. melissa

I am so sad to hear of his passing, even though somewhat expected makes it no less tragic to his true fans. He will live forever in our hearts and our minds. His movies have inspired many. I myself was hooked since The Outsiders. He was truly a good man. He will be missed.

September 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Hilary

The Arabian Horse community salutes our friend and fellow lover of these special horses on his passing tonight, knowing he now rides the fields with his beloved late Arabian stallion, Tammen.

Please post the famous and lovely image made into a best selling poster, of Patrick and Tammen on your show tonight as you pay tribute to a man we knew as "Buddy", who danced with his horses in glorious unity as only he and an Arabian could ever do.

Condolences to his Mom Patsy and his beloved wife Lisa.

September 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Cindy Diamond

I was rather upset at the passing of Patrick. Why is it that only the good die young. Married to the same lady for 33 years. I should be so lucky. RIP PATrick. You will be sadly missed.

September 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  19. Nora from Ar.

The first movie i seen him in was red dawn and I loved him as an actor from that time forward and have seen everyone of his movies but dirty dancing was one of my favorite.

September 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  20. sue, montreal

My sister & I must of watch Dirty Dancing hundreds of times...Nobody puts Baby in the corner...
    My first memory of Patrick Swayze was staring in the mini-series, North & South...He was FANTASTIC in that...

So sad...bless you Patrick...and thank you.

September 14, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Victoria Lapinski

Patrick Swayze was one of the only people I ever wanted to meet in my life. Dirty Dancing is my favorite movie and I will never watch it the same again. I am 17 and he was number one on my bucket list.

September 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Tracy

So very sad to hear about Patrick Swayze. What an amazing man, actor, and dancer. Thank you for sharing your life with us. Love and prayers to his family.

September 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Kathy Chicago

Cancer is bad in any form. My neighbors 30 year old daughter just died last week of brain cancer. It was heartbreaking to watch her go.

September 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  24. LorenaR

had just returned from the supermarket where i saw a magazine with patrick swayze on the cover, in a wheelchair, came home to the news that he had died. i am listening now to the mention of a smoking link, however, my brother, a non-smoker, died of pancreatic cancer. Interesting report that you are presenting tonight, thank you

September 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Jacqueline, NY

@ starr, formerly known as vincent: "Anderson, my aplogies, i forgot to welcome you and your team home. I have to say, i feel more relaxed to see you at the desk and in the studio. Absolutely spledid reporting for you and your associates in Afganistan."

Same here. Hi Mr. Cooper, welcome back and thanks for visiting the troops and the coverage. I am sure they appreciate you all being over there to tell their stories. Good job Gupta, Ware and entire crew.

September 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Julie Swayze-Peltier

Patrick Swayze was an amazing actor!!! My absolute favourite,.... just re-watched Dirty Dancing a few days ago... cry every time i watch it!!! RIP!

September 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  27. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ David, Indiana

I agree with you! Even knowing that the person has a terminal illness, at the time of death is a shock and a pain so great!

We all have to think that the person finally rested in peace. Unfortunately for the family is a huge pain and emptiness!

September 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Linda Dunsford

I'm sorry to here of Patrick's passing away, my heart goes out to his family and friends. He will be missed by so many people.

September 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  29. Erik

I actully grew up watching his movies,
    and I could remember watching the
    Outsiders wanting to be like him cool,
    and being a leader. Watching his movies is like bringing old feelings back
    on women I've dated. God Speed Pat

September 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  30. Lola

My prayers are with Patrick Swayze's family. Thank you for sharing him with us. I loved his movies and had a huge crush on him as a teen.

September 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Frank R.

Please don't forget one of his greatest bodies of work, the mini-series North and the South

September 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  32. Sherry

You do chemo because there is still hope. It isn't fun and the comment about control was perfect.

September 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Patrick was such a healthy person. Was this genetic?

September 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Amy

My condolences go out to Patrick Swayze's wife Lisa. I hope she knows that, though he's gone now, how lucky she was to have had such a wonderful love in her life for so many years. Some of us never find such a love. I hope she cherishes her memories.

September 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  35. ericacnn

So many fond memories of Patrick Swayze and his impact on your lives. Cheesy as the movie may be, I have great memories of watching "Red Dawn" with my sister... WOLVERINES!

It was on a few months ago... I think it was better to remember it than to try to relive that 80's glory 😉

September 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That was my favorite movie I watch "The Ghost" all my life, he was so funny man I have seen!

September 14, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Patrick had a powerful gracefulness when he danced, more in the style of Gene Kelly than Fred Astaire. Graceful, but still masculine.

September 14, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  38. Jason

I had the pleasure of working with Patrick on the movie Black Dog and he was wonderful to work with. He didn't appear to have an ego and was very down to earth. I will miss him.

September 14, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Minou, New York City

He loved his wife, he danced, he rode horses. He just must have been a great guy!

September 14, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Maureen T, Canada

Good evening Anderson. Welcome back. I hope you've taken some honey and lemon for that cough...Sorry to hear about the great Patrick Swayze. Thank goodness we have his movies, Dirty Dancing, The Outsiders, Ghost, Roadhouse to name a few. May he rest in peace!

September 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  41. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

"Nazi", "racist" – makes me wonder, if Obama were a white man with the same policies, agendas and speeches what would people call him? Hero, fighter?? The real racist are people who look at him as a black president instead of the president. Can't wait to see what Gergen says!

September 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  42. Jennifer - Michigan

I have to agree with JoAnn – there really is nothing like the feeling you get while in a rolling gallop with the wind in your hair while riding. It's great!

September 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  43. Debbie Presher

So sorry to hear this. My father passed away in May of this year from this horrible disease. My prayers go out to Lisa and the family. The pass year or so must have been so difficult. Brings it all back of what my family and I went through for 18 months...pancreatic..heck!...any cancer stinks!! At least he isn't suffering anymore, if that is any kind of comfort.

September 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  44. Elizabeth O' Hara

This is so sad. I grew up with his movies and dancing. I had his poster in my laundry room thinking it would make dealing with dirty clothes a much more fun experience. Somehow it did. My thoughts and prayers are with his family in this most difficult of times.

September 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Patti G

My heart goes out to Lisa and to Patrick's family at this time of his
    passing. We will always remember him in Dirty Dancing and Ghost. I believe he is now at peace and a true inspiration to us all.

September 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Pam - San Diego, CA

Wheather its Pancreatic or Lung cancer, you dont have much hope for survival. So sad. Remember, Michael landon died of Pancreatic Cancer.

September 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Robin

Mr. Swayze,
    You gave us so many gifts. I know your angels met you and helped you cross over, may you rest in peace.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family and may all your love and memories comfort them.

God Bless You and Thank You

September 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Emelia

Why is Pancreatic Cancer so evil?
    This is so sad to hear about Swayzes death today....it's been just over a month since Singer Willy (Mink) DeVille died of the same evil cancer.
    Does anyone know how you are likely to get this cancer?

Thoughts are with his family this evening.

September 14, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Michell Metcalf

So sorry to hear of Patrick's death. I lost my mother to pancreatic cancer over 2 years ago. My mother fought the diease for 15+ months. It is such a deadly and ugly disease. My heart goes out to his wife Lisa and his family.

September 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  50. Jessica Dwyer

Patrick Swayze was amazing and I can't stop crying. But no one is mentioning the amazing piece of work he did in North and South, the mini series on ABC. He was Orry Mane and he was awesome and held his own alongside some great talent. Thank you Patrick...and dance on those clouds now.

September 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |