September 14th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/14/09

This just into CNN: Actor Patrick Swayze has died at the age of 57 after battling pancreatic cancer. Tonight we look back at his Hollywood career.  Anderson will also talk with Barbara Walters, who was the first to interview him after his diagnosis. And, we'll dig deeper on the disease that killed him,  one of the deadliest there is.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kristi

It's just tragic about Patrick S. He was always honest, never pandered to the press for publicity, & had 1 of the few enduring marriages in Hollywood. He's right up there with Newman. He was brave during his illness, and in his choice of scripts-"To Wong Foo" never got the credit it deserved. His life never took a backseat to his career, which is admirable as well. We could all take a page from his book-just a class act all the way, & certainly an icon of my generation. My condolences to Lisa and the rest of his family. RIP Patrick-you were one of a kind, and will be missed...

September 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  2. anna

my heart skipped a beat today when i heard that Patrick had died just as it did the first time i saw him in a movie ( dirty dancing ) he was a brave, wonderful and devoted man to his wife, family and fans...rest in peace Patrick, we will miss you...

September 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  3. Tammy, Houma, LA

Hi everyone,

I was very saddened to hear of Patrick Swayze's death. I've been a fan of his work for a long time. We lost another great one today. My prayers are with his wife and family.

September 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  4. Jacqueline, NY

Oh Paula, I am sorry for your loss. I do wish you solace.

September 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Melanie

My heart is breaking for Patrick's family. I am currently helping my mother who is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at the age of 58. Patrick was her inspiration and will always be. To all those suffering or who is dealing with people who are suffering with pancreatic cancer, love them everyday. Tell them that you love them and make them smile. I know Patrick made all of us smile until the very end. God bless all with PC.

September 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  6. john hopper

I feel for the swazye family. My mother died almost 6 years ago. she was told by the doctor, and five months later she was died. This desease will sneak up and by the time you realize you have it, it is too late to do anything about it. I miss my mother, but she will welcome patrick to heaven. Thanks, john hopper

September 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  7. Kathy - Michigan

So sad to hear about Patrick Swayze. Another young, talented person taken much too soon! My thoughts & prayers go out to his wife and family. There is a lot of dancing going on in heaven tonight!!

September 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  8. ALLIE MOORE

People seldom mention Patrick in the mini series "North and South".I loved him in that series just as I did in "Dirty Dancing" and "The Beast". He was one of the best actors ever. I will truly miss him from television.

September 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Rick

I am so sorry to hear of Patricks passing. My Aunt died last year from pancreatic cancer. It is such a terrific and painful disease to have and to die from. My thoughts go out to his wife and family. God Bless.

September 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  10. john

may he rest in peace!!

point break was one his good movies

may god bless him and his family

September 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I'm sure he continued to work because he loved what he did and didn't want cancer to take it from him.

September 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  12. Ginny, Lebanon, PA

Dirty Dancing & Patrick Swayze...the movie that gave me the confidence to get out on the dancefloor and stop being a wallflower. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. I also enjoyed his work in North & South.

September 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  13. Sherry

A sad moment. Interesting that in all I have read about this man no one mentioned a wonderful little film called Three Wishes. It is a classic for me as many of his others that have been noted. It showed his depth which was so often taken lightly.

Glad you are back!

September 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  14. Nanci

Cancer puts everything into perspective as I have learned first hand.
    I was always a fan of Patrick Swayze and loved him in Dirty Dancing and Road House and of course Ghost, and he will be remembered for his tenacity and strength.
    Someone said, if chemo is so hard, so painful, why do it? I have just finished chemo and my answer is this....because there is always HOPE!!!!
    My thoughts are with his family and friends now and I hope he has finally met his angels.
    RIP PS…….

September 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  15. gretchen

Anderson, the passing of Patrick Swayze is so sad,I keep feeling that we are losing the best people. He seemed to have a great yet gentle spirit,he will be missed.

September 14, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  16. Cindy

I'm very sad tonight after hearing the news of Patrick Swayze's tragic death. He was one of my favorite actors. I love the movie Ghost. He will be missed.

September 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Pam – San Diego, CA,
    No, They didn't have kids since his wife married.

September 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

As a horseback rider myself I can understand Patrick's affection for horses. Their grace is very much like a dancer's and when you are riding you feel like one with the horse.

September 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  19. Donna Wood Lil' Tennessee

I am sorry Anderson, I didn't welcome you back! It really is good to have you back home and safe.

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

September 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  20. Pam - San Diego, CA

I loved Roadhouse. I watch that movie all the time.

September 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  21. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Moving memories in the pictures along with the interview with Barbara Walters ... really moving!

September 14, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  22. Deborah in Blue Springs, MO

I am crying as I type this. I have been a fan of Patrick Swayze since I first saw him in 1985 as Orry Main in "North and South" at the age of 12.

He was a devoted husband. He was an amazing actor. He was a light in the world, which is much darker now he's gone. His indomitable spirit was illustrated in the impressive body of work he undertook. From brave cinematic choices like "To Wong Foo..." to "Donnie Darko", Patrick Swayze infused new life into characters attempted before by lesser actors.

I feel a personal loss at his passing and I pray tonight for his lovely wife, Lisa, and his mother, Patsy.

I will watch "North and South" this week and remember him through the eyes of the 12-year-old girl who fell in love with a gorgeous man on a small silver screen.

Rest in peace, Patrick. God Bless.

September 14, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  23. Donna Barrus-Woodland CA

My heart goes out to Particks family..a stand-up guy

We will miss you 🙁

A very sad day

September 14, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  24. sarah

RIP...Patrick Swayze.....we will miss you. My prayers go out to his wife and family. He will never be forgotten

September 14, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  25. Cathy Gray

As a 6 year survivor of pancreatic cancer, I am very saddened by the loss of Patrick Swayze. As I'm sure all pancreatic cancer survivor's did...I prayed that Patrick would be able to live for many more years and get back to a relatively 'normal' life. I am grateful to him that he did go public and talk about this illness. So many people do not know how deadly it is and how under funded the research for it is in comparison to other cancers. My prayers are with his family and especially his wife Lisa. I am certain that her love is what kept him going for as long as he did.

September 14, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  26. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Minou – because if there is just a slight chance you can beat it, you take it. My friend did chemo and beat breast cancer. I am glad she did because the world is a brighter place with her in it.

September 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  27. Saera El Paso, TX

that was a beautiful statement from Ms.Goldberg

September 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  28. Meagan

I was really sad to hear the news this evening. Not only because I have grown up watching Patrick Swayze, but because my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in July 2008. Patrick Swayze gave my family hope. It is a sad day. It is a terrible disease and extremely hard for a family to suffer through. I hope peace for him and his family.

September 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  29. Missy Burnett Koopman

This disease is called the BEAST. My husband died at 48 of Pancreatic Cancer. When I looked at Patrick I had flash backs to the hard fight we fought. Pancreatic Cancer does not get the Research Dollars that other cancers do and will continue to cut short lives of amazing people. My heart goes out to his family.

September 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  30. Tagan Lombardo - Ontario, Canada

The death of Patrick Swayze is truly a great loss to our society. Many ladies like myself, were glued to the TV watching Dirty Dancing and Ghost....wishing we were the leading lady.
    Such a talented dancer and actor, it's a shame that he's been taken to soon. May his wife and family be stong during this time of sorrow and may the media let them grieve in peace.

September 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  31. Kerry

Rip Patrick Swayze...We loved you in the best movie of all times ..Roadhouse

September 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  32. lois

Just a comment about your question to Barbra Walters as to why Patrick Swayze continued to work. Obviously he didn't need to financially. Cancers robs its victims of control, so perhaps like most cancer survivors he worked so he could feel in control of something in life!

September 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  33. kgbmiller

R.I.P. Patrick Swayze.
    You were such an inspiration to everyone.
    I remember as a young teenage girl in the 80's spending a whole weekend with my girlfriends watching Dirty Dancing over and over and over again.
    My heart goes out to your family and friends

September 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  34. Merry

I grew up with watching The Outsiders, Road House, Dirty Dancing, Ghost and Too Wong Fu. I thought Patrick Swayze was extreamly sexy and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family. He's in no more pain and watching over his family and loved ones he's an angel. I'm gonna miss him.....

Merry

September 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  35. Mindy-IL

I am incredibly heartbroken over the news of Patrick Swayze losing his fight! I have been a fan since I was a child and saw Dirty Dancing. Watching his movies got me through some tough times. I am so sad for his wife and family and I hope they know how much he as loved and will be missed! He was such a strog man and I really look up to him! Rest In Peace!

September 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  36. Errol

It's so sad to lose a great and talented actor as Patrick Swayze. We have lost some unreplaceable talent this year and he is one of them! God Bless!

September 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  37. Shelley

Patrick gave us "the time of his life"! He fought hard! I will miss him so much. I am so thankful for reruns!

September 14, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  38. Julie Miller

The murder of Le is just unacceptable and a devastating tradegy.
    In any hometown in the USA this seems to be happening more and more. Unjustifiable murders of young women who must be innocent of thinking this would ever happen to them. Caring thoughts and prayers go out to her family, friends and finance.
    Julie

September 14, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  39. Hilary Smith

Good evening everyone,

Snake Gourd is a vegetable that is VERY good for the pancreas. I've eaten it as an Indian dish, and is very delicious...bitter if not made properly though.

We need to eat more foods that are good for our organs and body.

September 14, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  40. Sabrina in Los Angeles

So sad that he passed away so young.

Cancer is one of those that it seems even if you eat right, it will get you.

He seemed to have had a rough last few years.

Now he is truly out of pain.

September 14, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  41. Roxann

So very sad to hear of Mr. Swayzes passing. He did not loose his battle to cancer, his journey in life on this earth just came to an end. My love and prayers go to his family. God Bless You Patrick and Family.

September 14, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  42. julie

i don't think he made a movie i didn't like! prayers go out to his family. RIP Patrick Swayze

September 14, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  43. Paula New

My sister Peggy died of Pancreatic Cance on Aug 9, 2008
    It is a horrible cancer, and heartbreaking to watch. She was, also, 57
    My heart goes out to Patrick Swayzes family. The pain of the loss is unbelieveable.

Paula N
    Two HArbors, MN

September 14, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  44. Jack

Its shocking to hear about Patrick Swayze. RIP.

How much time did the doctors give him?? Didnt chemotherapy work for him at all??

September 14, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, That was a very nice piece on Patrick Swayze. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

September 14, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  46. Walter

Good evening Mr. Cooper,

Sad news on Mr. Swayze's passing. He was a great fellow and he had a full life.

I hope God has him in his glory.

My heart goes out to Mr. Swayze's family.

Thanks,

Walter

September 14, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  47. Donna Wood Lil' Tennessee

I just read about Patrick Swayze's untimely death. He will be sorely missed. I absolutely loved him in Dirty Dancing. I must have watched that movie a hundred times. I saw him in Next of Kin with Liam Neeson also. That was really good. He was a very versatile actor. His dancing ability just blew me away. I envied him that, I really did. I took ballet when I was growing up, but only for a while. I frustrated my teacher. She told me I needed more grace. Mr. Swayze certainly did not lack grace. My regards to his lovely wife and family.

Donna Wood
    Lexington, Tennessee

September 14, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  48. Kelly

Patrick Swayze, be still my heart then , now and always!
    Lisa and Patrick beat the odds in Hollywoood with a marriage of love and friendship. What a beautiful legacy.

September 14, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  49. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. Welcome back Anderson.

I know Patrick Swayze was fighting cancer, but I am shocked and saddened to learn he passed away this evening. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.

September 14, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  50. Jana, Indiana

Welcome back Anderson. Hope you are feeling better.

Before Patrick Swayze got into movies he did a great mini series on TV called North and South.

He was a very good actor and dancer. I don't know how many times I have watched "Ghost" and "Dirty Dancing"

September 14, 2009 at 10:11 pm |