September 14th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/14/09

This just into CNN: Actor Patrick Swayze has died at the age of 57 after battling pancreatic cancer. Tonight we look back at his Hollywood career.  Anderson will also talk with Barbara Walters, who was the first to interview him after his diagnosis. And, we'll dig deeper on the disease that killed him,  one of the deadliest there is.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")

2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)

3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)

4) No links

5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Renee

@ Minou, I think most people have a burning desire to live here on Earth and be with their children and family. When my father died at age 58, 20 years ago, he told me he was tired of being a guinea pig. That's when I knew the chemo wasn't working. Two days later he said his last words.

September 14, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  2. Krissy

Patrick Swayze was amazing, i feel like part of my childhood just left! his memory will always have a special place in my heart!

September 14, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  3. Jenna

Just a few days ago I realized I hadn't heard any news of his condition in quite some time. This certainly wasn't the news I was hoping to catch wind of. He will be missed and remembered.

September 14, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  4. starr, formerly known as vincent

Anderson, my aplogies, i forgot to welcome you and your team home. I have to say, i feel more relaxed to see you at the desk and in the studio. Absolutely spledid reporting for you and your associates in Afganistan.

September 14, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  5. Saera El Paso, TX

I remember I was afraid to watch Ghost when I was like... six

it's so weird to think he was born 40 years to the day before me..
    (my mom just told me.....)

'09 is kicking people's buckets at a rather alarming rate wouldn't you say?

September 14, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  6. Lori, IL

Sad news tonight - I loved Dirty Dancing & Ghost!! Music from Dirty Dancing is on my I-pod and great for the treadmill!!

Welcome back, Anderson. Your reporting from Afghanistan was fantastic. Glad you made it home safely. Are you still "dusty"? Haha!!

September 14, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, Patrick did have a fairy tale marriage because he married his true soulmate. He and Lisa looked beautiful dancing together, you could tell that they were perfectly in tune with one another.

September 14, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  8. Anthonia-Bay Area

Good Evening Everyone!

What is going on with this year. First its Jett Travolta, and all of the other signficant people that have died! May Patrick's soul rest in peace!

September 14, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  9. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

My best to Patrick's family. He seems like a genuinely good guy.

I totally rocked Demi's haricut from Ghost when that movie first came out.

September 14, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  10. Kalina

I am so sad over Patrick Swayze – God Bless his soul and memory!

September 14, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  11. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

Goodness, we've had so much death in prominent figures these past few months. It is very sad. Patrick was a fighter, this was just a battle he couldn't win. I admire the fight in him. I'm glad to be home too and blogging. 😉

September 14, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  12. Minou, New York City

WHAT? Who called the President a Nazi??? That is outrageous and just dumb!

September 14, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  13. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

My heart goes to the Patrick Swayze's family, friends and fans. I enjoyed his acting and dancing of entertainment.

September 14, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  14. Angela - Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Such a terrible way to start the week. Patrick Swayze was such an amazing actor, so many unforgettable movies. I'm completely devastated... 🙁

September 14, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  15. Pam - San Diego, CA

Hello Everyone!~

Did Patrick Swayze have any children?

September 14, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  16. Annie, Beijing, China

sad for Patrick Swayze! All my family love he's "Ghost" so much!

September 14, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  17. Sarah, Atlanta, GA

Glad that you're back safe and sound from Afghanistan, Anderson. So sad to hear about the death of Patrick Swayze.

September 14, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  18. Minou, New York City

If chemo therapy is so painful, why do it? People can't accept that they are mortal. We all are going to die, why fight something and suffer so much in the process and hurting the once around us who have to witness it?

September 14, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  19. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hello Anderson, Erica & Team 360, Hello fellow bloggers.

I am very sad about losing Patrick Swayze. As deadly as i know this disease is, i truly believed him when he said he woudl beat it.

Heart, love and sympathies to the family (especially his wife) and friends.

One of the best angels i sin heaven tonight.

September 14, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse, NY

His TV show had gotten a lot of acclaim.

September 14, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  21. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, everyone! And welcome back, Anderson!

So sad to hear the news about Patrick Swayze. I had no clue his state was so dire.

September 14, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  22. Jane - Vt

Welcome back Anderson Cooper and crew. Great shows last week.

Sad about Patrick Swayze. Didn't have TV on today, first I'm seeing this.

September 14, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

My heart goes out to the family and friends of Patrick Swayze. He was a great guy and a beautiful dancer. One of the few decent people in Hollywood.

September 14, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I was about 13 or 14 years and Dirty Dancing was the movie of my teenage! What girl didn't dance with Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing!?

September 14, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Miriam Cooper, NY

Hi Anderson,

I must have seen 'Ghost' movie several times and do love it. I hope he dint suffer too long !

September 14, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Cynthia, NC

Good evening and welcome back Anderson. I’m saddened that we’ve lost another great one from the entertainment world. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Swayze family. Rest in peace Patrick.

September 14, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  27. LisaL - Canada

glad you're back, Anderson. I'll bet Afghanistan did feel like the other side of the moon.

Patrick Swayze meant a lot to many – so many great movies. so sad for family and friends. he really did live his life, though, and that was not a mistake.

September 14, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson is going interview Barbara Walters knew Patrick's illness cancer the phone.... I do love my favorite anchor "The View" Barbara Walters.

September 14, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  29. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you back in NY.
    It's very sad to hear of Patrick Swayze's death.

September 14, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Mike Armstrong TX.

This is definatly not been a ventige year for the rich and famous and we still have three months left whos next.

September 14, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I always enjoyed Patrick Swayze's work. Celebrities seem to be going down at an alarming rate lately.

September 14, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Cindy - Dyer, In

good Monday night all.

Patrick Swayze was a great man. RIP

September 14, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  33. Linda-Portland, OR

good evening Anderson, Erica, Team 360 and fellow bloggers...wow, lots ot news tonight

September 14, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  34. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Heeey Anderson, Good evening everyone!

September 14, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  35. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

He finally rested in peace!

September 14, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Dana

My prays are with the Swayze family.....he gave us a lifetime of memories......may he rest in peace

September 14, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  37. Lisa A. Philadelphia, PA

good evening everyone. very sad news about patrick. he got me to my feet! Good to have Anderson home.

September 14, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  38. Jennifer - Michigan

Sorry to hear about Patrick Swayze. I remember watching Dirty Dancing over and over at the local theatre. Great movie – so sad about his passing.

September 14, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Sarah in FL

Good evening, All.

R.I.P Patrick Swayze.

I remember " Dirty Dancing". Great movie.

September 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  40. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I have a thing with Point Break... This film has always had a nice holiday atmosphere for me!

September 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  41. Renee

Wow! So sorry to learn about that cutie Patrick Swaye. Clueless I didn't even know he was ill.

September 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  42. nicole l

Hello Anderson.
    i am sure u're glad to be back in the studio with the a/c up on high:)

September 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  43. Minou, New York City

Welcome back, Anderson!
    RIP Patrick Swayze. I remember the high I was on after I saw Dirty Dancing as a kid. Sad that he died so soon.

September 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Kathy Chicago

Sad sad news. I enjoyed his work.

September 14, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and all bloggers. Happy Monday. Good to have you all back safely from Afghanistan.

September 14, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Annie, Beijing, China

Evening, Anderson, team 360 & everyone.

I'm glad to see you & crew back safe. Your coverage was excellent! Thank you very much for all you did. I guess you never really get a good night's sleep last week. Are you feeling better now?still have that cough? hope you're better.

Many people has been killed in Afganistan…pray someone can change the horrible situation!

September 14, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Hope you have a great weekend!!!!!! Happy Monday!
    Welcome back Anderson!!!! We missed you last week!
    This is breaking news........ Actor Patrick Swayze had died at the age of 57 after battling pancreatic cancer. My heart goes to his wife, kids, familes and friends! 🙁 My thoughts and Prayer with Swayze families.

September 14, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Jennifer - Michigan

Good evening all. Glad to be with you tonight.

September 14, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Hello Anderson!
    How are you? I hope your cough has improved!

Evening friends, David (Indiana), 360 team and everyone!

RIP Patrick Swayze!!
    I've had the time of my life... unforgettable!

September 14, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Jacqueline, NY

Oh, my. This the first I am hearing this news. Though I understood how grave Patrick Swayze's illness was, I hoped and prayed he'd make it. He was such a brave fighter, and fight he did. I long for his courage.

I grew up watching his movies. I was an instant fan of his when I first became aware of him and his talent in the TV mini series, North and South. I miss him already. He seemed like such a decent person. May God bless and keep his wife and family. And may he rest in peace.

Good bye Mr. Swayze. Thank you for the memories.

September 14, 2009 at 10:00 pm |