September 14th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Yale Murder Mystery

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/CRIME/09/14/missing.yale.student/art.annie.le.yale.jpg caption= "The body of Annie Le, 24, was found in the wall of a Yale University laboratory building Sunday."]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

An autopsy confirms the body found in a Yale University medical research building over the weekend is that of Annie Le, a grad student who vanished last week.

The 24-year-old was supposed to get married on Sunday, the day her body was found hidden in the basement of the building. Investigators also found bloody clothes hidden in a drop ceiling. A Yale professor tells CNN the circumstances in the case suggest there could be a "murderer among us." Tonight we'll have the latest on the investigation.

We're also digging deeper on the political rage in America. Did you see the anti-Obama march on Saturday in Washington? I'm sure you remember Rep. Joe Wilson calling Pres. Obama as he gave a speech on health care to Congress last week. What's fueling the outbursts? We're talk it over with our political panel.

Join us for these stories and much more starting at 10pm ET. See you then!

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. jatis

– feel sad for her parents and fiance.

September 15, 2009 at 2:56 am |
  2. Beth

How despicable that there are people out there who would commit such a senseless crime. She was very pretty, smart and from what I have read and seen in the news, she was loved by many. I hope that the person who committed this crime is found soon.

September 15, 2009 at 2:44 am |
  3. Rick . Indiana

Strange crime..

September 15, 2009 at 1:50 am |
  4. Clare

And I totally agree with Sharon.

September 15, 2009 at 1:27 am |
  5. Clare

I do not understand why people are protesting against the health care reform. We need it. I am a self-employeed, middle aged, middle class, single mother who hasn't seen a doctor in three years because I am so busy paying taxes. Thank God, I do not have to see a doctor but it would be nice, if I can afford to go for a checkup once in a while....As long as I am paying my taxes, I think I have a right to the affordable health care!
    I think that the health care reform is a must task for this country.

September 15, 2009 at 1:25 am |
  6. M. Aurie Williams

For the last month and a half now I've watched the debacle in a nation that I once defended as the greatest nation in the world; however, I'm not sure about that any more.

My comments stems from the fact that a country with more educational endowment than most countries in the world, not to mentioned the tremendous exposure of government, politics, finance and most subjects one can think of; yet there are so many people who seem not too sure of what's going on in America.

I'm a Williams too and I'm totally disappointed with this chap mark williams who seems to fit the mold of the blind leading the blind in the case of the so call tea party. What a bunch!

With the collapse of the financial sector in America, it is just natural that the new President coming in to the White House to sure up such aling economy as that which was inherited in January 09. In such case, it figures that the current deficit would have to be increased in order to save and create jobs as well as stabilizing the economy for all. So I find it most difficult to understand what the fust is all about.

September 15, 2009 at 12:45 am |
  7. mary

free speech is one thing,but things are really getting out of hand. are there really that many greedy people in this country ? what happened this country wasn't always like this. what happened with watching out for our neighbors. when people are in need you give food,shelter and medical care this is a given,what is all the controversy about?
    the almighty dollar means nothing without human intervention for help to those who need it. forget your portfolios give to those who need it now. the disrespect in the USA is dispicable, some call it freedom of choice, freedom of speech I call it down right absurd. I am appalled
    of the actions of so many people

September 15, 2009 at 12:29 am |
  8. Shar

I find the constant protests against anything our President does quite disturbing. Not because there are protests...the freedom to protest is what our country is all about. I am disturbed by the horrifically racially offensive tone of the protests, the rude, crude disrespect and the hysterical frenzy that I see in many of these protesters. This is not "healthy" protest at all. They are making the whole country sick.

September 15, 2009 at 12:18 am |
  9. aretha

The things they say about obama is wrong he has made a great input on this country. Before he became president this country was in a huge turmorial. How can people be of such judgers. They should be greatful that he is opening up more jobs as well as doing something better for the health care system. The protestors going against our president is such a disgrace.

September 15, 2009 at 12:09 am |
  10. Delores

God bless Annie's family and fiance. We must pray that justice will take place in such a horrible act.

September 15, 2009 at 12:03 am |
  11. marina- San Diego

What a horrible thing to have this happen to this young lady who did not deserve it. My prayers go out to the family and her finance. I really hope they find the sick sick person who did this, I despise people who commit horrible crimes. I feel bad for the family who are in pain. Please help the family find closure and find the sick person (s) who did this.

September 15, 2009 at 12:00 am |
  12. Deby Lackas

I send my thoughts and prayers to her family, and Yale University community. I hope the family will have many good memories of her short life.

September 14, 2009 at 11:47 pm |
  13. Andrea

My heart goes out to Annie Le's family and I pray they find the killer soon. What a sad ending to what no doubt would have been a beautiful wedding. May her family find comfort in the Lord at this difficult time.

September 14, 2009 at 11:27 pm |
  14. Treschanson

My heart goes for Annie Le's family. This is such a sad story that happened in one of the most pretigeous universities in America. The murderer might be: someone who knew her well enough to know that she was getting married, a secret admirer, someone who had access to the building and acquainted with the surroundings, or someone who did not want her to be happy and successful. The murderer is among them!

September 14, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  15. Barb Riggs

This is such a awful case who would kill this Beautiful young lady. It is such a horrible thing and it is so awful she was murdered and left in a wall..I hope this murderer is found soon because who knows if he would hurt someone else. It looks like she was a target of some sick person who seemed to go after her. It looks like it might be someone who works at that building.. My Prayers go out to the family and friends of Annie Le .. I can't imagine what the parents are going through they were planning a beautiful wedding for their daughter and now have to attend her funeral..

September 14, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  16. MLM

My prayers go out to the family, friends & fiance of this beautiful young woman. How awful that somebody could kill her, then just stuff her in a friggin wall like she was nothing. That's horrible. I hope this piece of crap murderer is caught and dealt with swiftly and harshly. Please jurors & judge – show NO mercy on this person because they certainly didn't have any mercy on this young woman when they killed her. R.I.P. Annie.

September 14, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  17. Crista

I feel such great sadness over the lost of this dear sweet girl! Under lock and key she was murder> no one is safe! Prayers to her family and friends!

September 14, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  18. Russell

what a tragic event to happen a Yale University. My prayers go out to the financee and her family. It seen that we are experiencing a lot of tragic events on our campuses throughout the U.S. that need to be looked at from the state and federal governemnt

September 14, 2009 at 11:11 pm |
  19. Bill

I have to say, I hope the sick person who did this get what they deserve. May the good lord grant this beautiful childs sould eternal peace heaven. God Bless her friends and family, this may be the end of a life, but also the begining of her trip to get her halo and wings.

September 14, 2009 at 11:06 pm |
  20. Gerard

One can paint this tea bag group any way you wish. From my perspective, when their type of vitriol and propagnda is used; the main goal is to delegitimize our President, who was democratically elected to the Office last November by a large majority. Many in this group appear to not be able to accept this.

We are witnessing just how far we really have to go and how unbelievably ignorant a portion of our population is.

September 14, 2009 at 11:01 pm |
  21. Rachel

I am glad to see people speaking out against President Obama. I give him proper respect as our president. At the same time, his leadership and where he is taking our country is frightening to me. Are we getting ourselves in over our heads for our future generations? I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who sees it. Sometimes I feel it is time for a revolution here. Drastic times sometimes does call for drastic measures. It is obvious we are in uncharted waters in America right now.

September 14, 2009 at 11:00 pm |
  22. Linda

This is a sad day for the family of Annie Le and also Patrick Swayze's family. I am shocked to learn that an attack could happen like this during the day at a major lab building on the campus of Yale.
    It sounds like they will need to put in security guards in the front entrance and screen all vistors to ensure safety in the future.
    Here she was from a very small town in California where everyone knows everyone...Now her family will going to a funeral instead of a wedding.

September 14, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  23. Jayne

I want to send my sympathy to Annie Le's family and her fiance. I feel that the killer was someone at the university who didn't want her to get married. She would have been a beautiful bride. She now is in a better place and the person responsible will be made to pay for their crime in a court of law.

September 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  24. susan

My prayers go out to this young girl's family. Each time I heard the news today that her body was found I wound up in tears. As the mother of a 28 year old woman who is a college graduate I couldn't help but wonder how in the world this young woman's parents must feel, particularly when they were preparing for her wedding.. her dad preparing to walk her down the aisle. Instead, they are preparing for a funeral. How incredibly sad! When will we wake up and cry in outrage at the crime in this country! When they find the person who did this, if he/she doesn't get the death penalty, that is the real crime in this whole nightmare.

September 14, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  25. Jeannette Kucan

What a horrible crime. Anie Le did not deserve to die this way. She sounded like a very smart,loving woman.I only pray that they find the sick person (s) who did this.Another shining star taken to soon.

September 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  26. Sharon

Its amazing how easy it is for some people to just follow the crowd and not really know the facts. Speaking as a working mother and wife I have had to purchase Cobra insurance while between jobs and it was very expensive. We couldnt even afford it for the entire family especially while unemployed if the government can help that, I'm all for it. The working class always pay more taxes we might as well benefit from it.

September 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  27. Mary

Deepest sympathy to the families, her fiancee and friends of Annie Le. This is so very sad.

September 14, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Carolyn Anderson

The protests going on against our President are disgraceful. I believe in peaceful protest...but, this is hateful and spreading fear that is not based in fact. This looks like a very right-wing attempt to confuse Americans...you know divide and conquer – get people worked up like this. Some of what is being said would be laughable if not so sad for our country. Rational people must unite against this fear mongering.

September 14, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  29. Jim Reeves

This is very sad why any goof would want to murder such a beautiful person so young very sad

jim

September 14, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  30. h saltman

The people who are marching against Pres. Obama are unbelievably ignorant and crude. The President's background, his education in American law and history, and his experience as a biracial person, not to mention his living abroad makes him uniquely able to address issues. He is not afraid to tackle problems that the last President would and could not. I am relieved to have such an able President. People are afraid of change. And these kinds of people scare me. But no one asks my opinion nor those of the people I know who support President Obama.

September 14, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  31. DeLia CA

It bothers me that police are saying that it's not a random act so there's no need to be worried about another attack. That's fine until it happens again. It gives one a false ense of security.

September 14, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  32. rosina

my prayers go out to the families of patrick swayze and annie le. RIP

September 14, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  33. gretchen

Anderson, didn't they bring dogs in the building to find something?
    Did they (the dogs) find her? Either way this is so sad,and scary to think that could happen right there in that building at Yale. I think security should be beefed up on all college campuses around the country.

September 14, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  34. Chris

My prayers to her family-When will this country wake up and punish the murderers and other violent offenders? Capital punishment and timely trials need to be a deterrent. Two years is too long to wait for a trial (as in the Cheshire killings of the Pettit family). People soon forget. Everyone feels bad for the accused, yet the victims have no voice.

September 14, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  35. Annie Kate

I saw the march on Washington – it seems that the outrage in the country right now is more intense than even the outrage during the Clinton years – and that was pretty bad.

I'm so sad about the death of Patrick Swayze. I'm looking forward to Anderson's talk with Barbara on her interview with Patrick. I feel for his wife – 34 year marriage – such a loss for her. I wish her the best.

The murder of the student of Anne Le is terrible; and I'm sure its scary to know that the murderer must be someone among that group that has access to that area. I hope the police can find the killer soon so no more murders happen and so the students do not need to be afraid of at least that one.

September 14, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  36. Ana

It is very shocking! who would have ever expected a murder to occur at such a prestige and secure University!

September 14, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Michelle

Very sad news about Patrick Swayze – too many people (famous or not) are dying of cancer.

September 14, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Cindy

It's sad to hear that they did ID the body found as the Yale student Annie Le. It's scary to think that in such a guarded place that someone still managed to kill her, hide the body and then leave unnoticed. Hopefully they find the killer soon. My prayers go out to her family.

It's also sad to hear that Patrick Swayze passed away. He was actually one of the normal people in Hollywood and didn't buy into the fame and glitz. I loved him in Dirty Dancing of course...but I also loved him in Point Break with Keanu Reeves. He will be missed! My prayers go out to his family also!

Cindy..Ga.

September 14, 2009 at 9:46 pm |
  39. Ray

Someone she worked with had a crush on her and did not want her to get married??????

September 14, 2009 at 9:41 pm |