September 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/11/09

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cessy, Chicago

On Anderson's report on the field...makes me complain less about my job.

September 11, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  2. Lori

Looking forward to seeing the reporter's notebook!

September 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

I was living in DC on 9/11, about 6 blocks from the White House. I remember going home and watching the news, thinking that if they hit the White House when the president returned, I would hear the explosion from my house. For three months there were MPs in hummers with machine guns on the corner of the block where I worked, helicopters checking rooftops all night long. I won't ever forget.

September 11, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  4. David, Indiana

@starr formely known as vincent I agree about Afghanistan. What I'm hearing in Anderson's intvw w/ Peter Bergen is that we are currently able to roll back the Taliban when we want to, and that protecting the population centers is viable w/enough troop strength (be that Afghan, Tribal, coalition, US) This is a moment when Taliban defenses could break. Parlaying force into pressure on them as Michael Ware suggests could be of lasting benefit for this country.

September 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  5. pam wallace

hi anderson love your show i think we should pull the tdrroops out of afghanstan my son is there with 10th mountain divison the afghanstan people dont want change they have lived that way for years if they wanted to change they would be helping our brave heroes there with a lot more information they are giving us and if they did than maybe there would not be a war there

September 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Kathy Chicago

I loved Peter and Andersons perspective and thoughts on the war.

September 11, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  7. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey anderson
    Whats happen with your voice,are you going ill in Afghanistan,you dont look very well.Maybey now you are on your flight back to N.Y.?
    If you are back in N.Y.i think you need time to rest.
    You did avery hard dangerous job.
    Thank you,for asking difficult question to the people,and get answers

September 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Lori

Hi everyone!

September 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Patricia Brennan

We can send space shuttles into orbit. It seems there must be another way to locate these IED then by our walking armed forces.

September 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hey David Gegen,
    Yeah, I agree with you. It was really somber for us to remember victim who died past 8 years now...... My heart goes anyone to honor on 9-11-01...... I pray so hard to comfortable love ones lost. I remember this time.... it is very sad to lost anyone.

September 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@John King

Each of us must remember where we were and what we were doing on September 11, 2001. This was a significant day for the whole world. No one was more the same after that fateful day.

It's hard to imagine how difficult it must be for a President which has its obligations to the people!

September 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Keren

Great work tonight (as always)!

I saw firefighters too today. It was great to see them in this sad day. I am proud of them.

Nice glasses Erica. 🙂
    Keep up the good work!

September 11, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Kathy Chicago

Yes, Erica, locals were asking us to remember 9/11 today with kind words, prayers and thank yous to those who serve.

September 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse, NY

You can't really compare WWII to Afghanistan. We lost 400,000 dead in the military in WWII in 4 years of war. In Afghanistan and Iraq we've lost 1% of that number in twice as long. I'm sure our troops would rather be in this war than WWII.

September 11, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  15. dave

Erica:
    Thanks for reminding us about the firefighters. if anything good can be said to come of something horrible maybe it was reminding people of the courage these people show every day.

September 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  16. Ligia, San Jose/CA

Peter Bergen for President !!! He would get my vote!!!

September 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  17. johnathan wilson

It is interesting to know that we now have sufficient troops on two borders (two sides, Iraq and Afghanistan) of Iran. How long before we tell our troops to meet in the middle of Iran?

September 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  18. Dodie - California

Good evening everyone!

Ah John King! Always rewarding seeing you here!

Yes, I always equate 9/11 with Bush, Not Obama.... Very strange, indeed!!!

September 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  19. mike tn

@ mike in syracuse, we don't know who we are fighting there just like
    vietnam. thats my point.if u go to war to go to win and we r just spinning our wills. i support troops by saying get out now.

mike tn

September 11, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  20. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

But that Afgani doesn't know if the US will stay... how can you convince him when we don't know? should he be pro-freedom and peace, not just pro-America?

September 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  21. John - Illinois

Anderson, appreciate you and Michael Ware bringing the real story from the front lines and allowing the American people to see the real mission our troops provide in Afghanistan. The amazing stories Michael Ware brings is an example of outstanding journalism everyone can appreciate and I hope he is up for some kind of award for his unbiased approach to reporting and the risk he takes to uncover the truth. Be safe and let the troops know this country appreciates everything they do.

September 11, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Ligia, San Jose/CA

@ Krista – Jacksonville NC

My good thoughts are with you and your husband who is serving our country. May the Universe bring him home safe, sound and soon.

September 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  23. Kevin Ellerholz in Muskegon,MI

I think Peter Bergen needs a job at the white house because he knows more about this war than anyone.

September 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  24. Linda S. Florida

Anderson I am watching you know in Kandahar, this is where my son is a civilian contractor....thank you for visiting there too....stay safe

September 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Linda-Portland, OR

poor Anderson, he sounds awful!...what a trooper he is (sorry about the pun, it was not intended)

September 11, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  26. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ Julia, FL
    I can't agree with you. Afganistan was the "real" war and Bush ignored it and concentrated on Iraq.

I feel we owe it to the troops that have died to "try" to deal with Afganistan should get a fair chance at pulling that country into 2000. They are not "sovereign" country yet. They do not have a standing army, nor equipment.

How Afganistan is dealth with, with affect all of us.

September 11, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  27. johnathan wilson

We have been arming the the Afghans since the eighties. How many years were the Russians there before the decided to give up and go home?

September 11, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

@John King

huh...it is strange not to see George Bush....

I think what I hated most about today was the weather. It was the exact same as Tuesday, eight years ago. Sunny, no clouds, and very warm.

September 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  29. Krista - Jacksonville NC

Anderson Can you bring my Husband home with you ? j/k lol But I know he is over there with you he is one of the Marines over there . God I miss my husband ! God bless and be careful !

September 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  30. David Gergen

Good evening everyone - On this anniversary of 9/11, a couple of points: first, this is a time when we need to recognize that we haven't yet put the al Quaeda terrorists out of business - and the reports from Anderson and his team in Afghanistan this week have illustrated that very movingly. Second, we need to revive the spirit that we had in this country just after 9/11 when we joined together in common cause. This craziness over the heckling of the President this week shows that we are becoming way too divided.

September 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Mike, Syracuse..."If we let the Taliban take over again, it will happen again. This is self defense."

Absolutely. We need to finish the job.

September 11, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  32. Linda S. Florida

I noticed the coverage of Afganistan has been less and less each night this week....I hope once Anderson and the crew come home, that we don't forget to give the coverage it is deserves to continue to keep our military and civilian contractors in our present mind so we all do the right thing.

September 11, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  33. johnkingcnn

on a personal note ... was odd seeing president obama not president bush on 9/11.
    not a political statement there .. not at all. it was just such a defining day for mr bush ... and every anniversary he led the country. now there is a new president. as someone who was at the white house on 9/11 .. it was just different.

September 11, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  34. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Mike, the reason this looks like Vietnam is because the public is deserting our troops yet again by not supporting their mission. You can't support the troops without supporting their mission.

September 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Eric

AC,

Good evening, I am a Army CPT who spent 12 months in Afghainstan as a Embedded Trainer to the Afghan Army. BLUF the military and government is to corrupt to get anything done. It is a joke we are wasting money there. If you ask any Afghan what does Afghanistan mean to them and you would hear that all they care about is thier provience. They are tribal people, they will tell you that they are not at war with the Taliban we are!

September 11, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Erica

It was unanimously here at home: you are very, very beautiful until with glasses!

September 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  37. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Let's not forget that we went into Afghanistan because the people who attacked us were harbored there by the Taliban. If we let the Taliban take over again, it will happen again. This is self defense.

September 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  38. Hector

Come on mike, we need to finish what we started. The people there need us and we can't leave their country in ruins. No ones like having their home destroy and leave with out fixing it. But we definately need to move troops from Iraq to afghanistan

September 11, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  39. johnkingcnn

the joe wilson drama wont affect the price of gas or health insurance. at least i dont think. but it is taking up a fair amount of oxygen in the political world.

September 11, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Krista

Anderson : if you see my Husband Ssgt Calixyopiza US Marine . over in Afghanistan Please tell him I said hi, and I love him and miss him !
    Thanks ....

September 11, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Julia, FL

@starr, formerly known as vincent

Shouldn't we let a sovereign country take care of it's own affairs, and stop now before our death toll gets even higher?

September 11, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

@ Erica,
    I saw people wore raincoat and umbrella to memorial park on 9-11-01 to remember to honor victim, I know they have lot patience long rain all day and night on CNN-TV!!!! YIKES! Yes, I agree with you, I hope rain will go away fast!

September 11, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Ralph bateman

How on earth can any American want to pull out of AFganistan or even expect Afgans to fight on our behalf?

Shame on the nation if we expect others to fight our battles. We..the United States of America were the ones attacked.. Not Afghanistan.

Let.the cowards of our nation fight national healthcare. Let the hero's kill those responsible for 9/11.

September 11, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  44. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Erica

Today I read a beautiful article that said that, until it seemed that the weather knew that NYC lived 8 years ago, because the sky was dark and sad.

September 11, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  45. pam

since the President of the United States was called a lie via tv make the apology in front of all of America

September 11, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  46. mike tn

we need to get out of irag and afghanistan now.cut our loses and
    leave.this is another vietnam.we just don't remember history real
    well do we?

mike,tn

September 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  47. starr, formerly known as vincent

I thin that Rep Wilson should be admonished period and we should move on.

I think that David G. is right. The Dem's need to get back to business!

I'm already sick of this story. The man was Wrong, should be censured and that's that.

September 11, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  48. Lori, IL

@starr - I completely agree with you. We took our eye's off the ball in Afghanistan and I think we owe it to our troops to stand behind them and help them complete their mission....

September 11, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Billy from Minneapolis

Unbelievable. Joe Wilson calls the President a liar during a nationally televised speech and Joe gets people to give him money. How can the Republican party talk about morals and then use such hateful language? And people support this by giving him money! Hateful people supporting hateful people.

September 11, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  50. Hector

Hi John, Anderson, Michael and the beautiful Erica. I want to thank you for your report in Afghanistan. Mr Cooper My friends are in southern afghanistan and they are with N. battery 3/11 an artillery unit. If you can, can you find out how they are doing. I was with them but did not deploy with them. I watch your show every day, all of you do such a great job. We need more troops there and nancy pelosi and the dems need to make a trip there to see whats really going on. Thank You

September 11, 2009 at 10:18 pm |