September 11th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/11/09

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Cindy

I think since Wilson apologized, Democrats should move on – let it go.

September 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  2. Linda-Portland, OR

i don't think Wilson should be punished, but his outburst was done at the wrong time and place not to mention rude...he did apologize, let's just move on...

September 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  3. janice mohs

I am thoroughly disgusted by the disrespectful behavior by Congressman Wilson. What a sad statement about our government when a man in this position acts like a 2 year old.

September 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  4. Martina Ilstad Germany

I am deeply sorry for all the victims of 9/11 tragedy.Eight years ago,but what really have change?Poeple dieng,in a terrible war .all what the American or Afghan poeple whants is to life in peace.

September 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Cessy, Chicago

we all make mistakes. Mr. Wilson apologized and showed responsibility for his negative actions right away. I agree, we need to move on. We have better and bigger things to worry about.

September 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  6. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, John King, Erica, Isabel everyone. I don't want go into 9-11, but it is so important to observe the events of that day. Thank you for that shot of the two columns of light in NYC.

I can see that Afghan's just want a life, as Michael Ware says. And David Gergen is right, the President has to go all in one way or another. But there is a govt for that country, there is that country's legislature, and involvment of tribal militias if coordinated and disciplined could actually bemore effective at fending off the Taliban than a massive infusion of troops.

September 11, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  7. niwat, chicago

Hi JK, EH and ac360 casts team, my vigil dedication to 9/11 victim families and hope every one have a great weekend and safe trip back to mr cooper 🙂

September 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Funny how the Democrats are all bent out of shape over the Wilson comment, but they thought it was acceptable when they showed the same type of disrespect to Bush.

Double standards gone wild.

September 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Kathy Chicago

Rep Wilson was wrong to lash out during Pres Obama's speech, but illegals are already being taken care of in emergency rooms. Isn't that part of the reason our insurance is so high-we have to absorb their expenses.

September 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  10. Vickie_AR

Wilson is a tool. He tried to make Obama look bad, and wound up making himself look like a fool. Now he's the best campaign add his opponent could ever have.

September 11, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I was shocked Senator Joe Wilson told him " You lied" our president Obama.....Shame on Joe Wilson, Now, He apologized to him, I am really disappointed R- senator Joe Wilson what he did.

September 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    It's very moving to see the rainy 9/11 memorials today–even if they have become familiar. Your reports this week on what is really happening with the war in Afghanistan have been amazing.

September 11, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  13. todd

Michael's report makes more sense of Afghanistan than anything I've heard to date. Great reporting!

September 11, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Jonab, KS

It is iironic that the Republicans and Bush lied all the time during the Bush administration but yet, no Democrat intercepted Bush's speeched to congress to shout he lied. Be it the WMD, Iraq war, Economy, everything during the Bush's administration was cooked up but Wilson found it necessary to shout "You lie" to an honest President during a televised speech. Republicans and Wilson have crossed a major line and We will hand it to them again come the next election.

September 11, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Wilson may have picked the wrong venue, but he told the truth.

September 11, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

If the Democrats punish Wilson they are the worst hypocrites. They booed Bush repeatedly during State of the Union speeches.

September 11, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. ericacnn

good to have everyone with us tonight on the blog. a somber, gray day here in NYC. cold, rainy, windy... but it did not stop the city from remembering. i saw a number of firefighters this morning coming from the firefighters' memorial, in dress uniforms. makes you want to thank each one for their service.

September 11, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

May God be with the families of 09/11. Stay strong!

September 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  19. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

I saw an ad on Facebook for "you lie!" t-shirts....

that's horrid....

September 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Cessy, Chicago

good evening, John...good morning, Anderson. i just read your article " what's your blood type". very interesting. I hope you get to visit other servicemen while overseas- say, Baghdad? My cousin's are there. Thanks again 360 crew overseas for all of your hardwork.

September 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  21. Fernanda

Obama is not a liar he is doing what he can.

September 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  22. starr, formerly known as vincent

I agree with David G (as usual). I think the Pres. should put in more troops. GW Ignored this war for 8 yrs! I know how tired we all are of war, but i believe it is important to try and "win" this war.

I would hate to see the lives lost thrown away by our leaving too soon. I continue to think there is hope for bringing Afganistan into the modern world and thus eliminating that country as a waste land for Taliban to re-enter to establish their twisted interpretation of Muslim law.

I believe that Pres. Obama is inheriting the anger and frustration that truly belongs to Bush.

September 11, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  23. Linda-Portland, OR

@Sarah...thank you to your fiance for his service and also thank you for the sacrifice you've made

September 11, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  24. leebra

Thanks for the continuing coverage all week. Afghanistan truly is the forgotten war & thanks to CNN & AC360 it is getting attention it deserves.

September 11, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  25. Kathy Chicago

Hi John! TGIF. I was surprised that Gates only asked for 3000 more troops. I thought they would want more.

September 11, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Beautiful picture and great text! I was touched!

September 11, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Linda S. Florida

Hi everyone, great coverage and insight it keeps us tough....and those loved ones of ours protecting us and hoping for the best of everyone in Afghanistan and Iraq, military and civilian employees..

September 11, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  28. sarah

My fiance is in Afghanistan right now at Camp Leatherneck

September 11, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  29. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Well, if what Michael Ware says is true, then the Afghans, just like so many before them in so many other democratically-challenged regions, have to commit, period. They can't sit back and expect us do "breath" for them for chirst's sake.

September 11, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Michael
    Good morning to Kabul,You are a very fair and hardworking journalist.You are a voice for the soldiers and for the locol poeple,too Thank you fot that. Will you stay in Afganistan longer,or will you leave the area?

September 11, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  31. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

troop numbers are hard things to decipher. It's morally wrong, but could be a logistic success, or it could be a disaster. I wish there could be compromise on this subject, but as Gergen said, there can't be one.

September 11, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  32. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I still don't understand how they will maintain the peace after the troops leave Afghanistan and Iraq. I don't think it is possible.

September 11, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  33. steve dockeray

People should not have been surprised by 911 considering this FACT !

On 911 I got up at 7:AM Pacific then turned on CNN & I was not surprised ie: 3 weeks prior to 911 I heard the warning put out by the USA Gov ie: They warned people of an inside America Terror attack etc.

steve dockeray

milner bc

canada

September 11, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  34. Linda-Portland, OR

we really need to get ourselves out of there...we can not be in every country on this planet...we really should let some of these countries figure it out amongst themselves.

September 11, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Linda-Portland, OR and Isabel,
    I agree with both of you, We always remember to honor many thousands of people died for 8 years now. 🙁 It is really tribute our victim to past years.

September 11, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Hi John! My thoughts are with the victims of the 9/11 attacks. It must be difficult for them to deal with the memories year after year.

I look forward to your coverage tonight.

September 11, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  37. scott pearson

been watching cnn news live360

September 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  38. Julia, FL

I say we get out of Afghanistan as soon as possible.

September 11, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  39. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

240,000 troops needed to fight in Afghanistan. How many Taliban "soldiers" are we fighting? As an average viewer, it's hard for me to understand the logistics when I can't see the entire picture. I support our efforts, but I really need to know a lot more.

September 11, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

John,
    I saw Anderson really doing great job with our troops in Aghanistain this week...... I think we need more troops sent or deploy to Aghanistain...... God Bless our troops!

September 11, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, everyone. And great to have you with us, John.

In memory, Toni Morrison on the passed of Sept 11th: ".To speak to you, the dead of September, I must not claim false intimacy or summon an overheated heart glazed just in time for the camera. I must be steady and I must be clear, knowing all the time that I have nothing to say... And I have nothing to give either - except this gesture, this thread thrown between your humanity and mine..."

September 11, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey John
    Good evening,nice to see you there for Anderson
    If you dont speak sooo fast,mayby i as a German have a chance to undersand you,you are really a fastspeaker

September 11, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  43. starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening John King, good to see you. Good evening Anderson, Sanjay, Peter and Michael, Erica & team 360 at home and abroad.

Good evening fellow bloggers. A solem (sp) day for all Americans.

September 11, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good morning Anderson!
    Good evening friends, David (Indiana), 360 team and everyone!

September 11 – Beautiful tributes among sad memories. My feelings to those who lost loved ones at the September 11, victims of one of the most stupid moments of our history. How much pain and destruction for nothing, but the American people is strong! Sadly, there are losses of every people involved. My feelings.

September 11, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone!

September 11, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Linda-Portland, OR

hi John, Anderson,Erica, 360 Team and fellow bloggers.......my thoughts and prayers are with all who died on 9/11 and their families

September 11, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo John King (Anderson), Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Thank God It's Friday night!!! Couldn't wait this weekend........
    Anderson,
    You're great job reporting from Afghanistan this week! 😀

September 11, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

hey people!

hopefully you spent the day trying to make something good out of this wretched day.

September 11, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Anderson
    Good morning from far away in Germany,here it is 4oclock in the morning,i think 6oclock in Afganistan.
    Will you leave Afganistan this weekend?For that, a safe flight back to N.Y. I hope your dog will remember you.Ha.Ha

September 11, 2009 at 10:00 pm |
  50. johnkingcnn

hi everyone ... john king helping out tonight. happy friday.

afghanistan as you have seen all week is a big military question mark.

and now the politics of afghanistan back home are heating up. quite the challenge for the president.

thanks for being with us tonight.

September 11, 2009 at 9:56 pm |