September 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/09/09

Tonight we'll have the facts on Pres. Obama's health care reform pitch to Congress. His vision. His pitch. He faced an audience split on party lines. There was a lot of applause and even some booing from lawmakers. We'll look beyond the politics and show you reform could impact you and your family. We'll also have more remarkable reports from the war in Afghanistan.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sabrina in Los Angeles

That is a very scary place.

I don't know about that potty pipe...lol.

Hopefully they get it settled and can head home out of that desert.

September 9, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I think the plan will work of the President. The ones who oppose it do not have a better plan, and they are afraid to move forward.

If Thomas Edison had listened to the ones who oppose him, we would all still be in the dark.

We all have to be willing to try something new.

September 9, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  3. Lori, IL

Michael Ware is going an amazing job this week!

September 9, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Fay - California

These background reports are very illuminating – while it's always been clear that the troops have an extremely difficult job to do, I was never really aware of what they were dealing with regarding their living conditions – it's pretty remarkable that they're able to perform as well as they do in the face of all that.

September 9, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  5. sanda dixon

Im fighting the silent war im a mom. I wish you would cover the 10th mountian division. My son turned his 19 birthday over in afganistan and he is in the us.army hes been there scince jan.. I miss him so much i wont to see his face on cnn. anders cooper we faithfully wathed your show and you havent shown the us. army only the marines. we would like to see his face again pleace if u could do a report on the us.army he is my o son and i cry all the time. love sany
    and by the way his name is brandon bollinger.

September 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Ramona, Jackson, MS

@Dennis Davis I appreciate your honesty and comments. I'm proud as an American that we have a Pres OBama and wish that this country could embrace our leader.

September 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  7. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The Taliban are like the swine flu, they seem to be able to mutate and adapt to any obstacle thrown in their way by the military.

September 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Michael Ware is doing excellent reports on those days. I do not know much about his work, but from now I'll have a closer look!

September 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  9. Minou, New York City

Pretty cool of Michael to adopt Afghan dress.

September 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Vic

Watching life over there....sure makes our problems look small.

September 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  11. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Mike Syracuse NY – I agree with you, However i beleive we need to win so that Afganistan does not return to what it was, a wasteland for radical groups to organize and Kill us.

Excellent report by Michael Ware.

September 9, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Carolyn

Anderson: How is everyone getting enough water to survive in 120 degrees heat? Isn't that something like a quart an hour? From all the dust, I'm guessing water isn't a ready resource nearby.

September 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  13. Davina

I saw the story about the little boy whose name is Malik. I have a son and his name is also Malik, and he is around Malik's age . We are interested inpossibly sending Malik a "Thinkinh of You " / "Get Better" card , letting him know that we are praying for him and his family here in the U.S. my comment/ question is can you all give us address to where we can send him a card and hopefully send his family some money?

September 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Su, Fort Lee, NJ

Another great reporting tonight by the crew in Afghanistan!
    I cried when I saw the photo of the helicopter medic sargeant with his three boys and him having to deal with his own mortality by writing a letter to his children...truly a hero who puts his own needs second to serving his country and saving lives.
    But WHY? Why are we still fighting this war with no real possibility of endgame in sight? Why do we have to have families sacrifice their future happiness for a war with no ending???

September 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  15. Minou, New York City

I appreciate Ware's reports about the people. It's so interesting to see them and their environment.

September 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Nice to see the city and the population in Afghanistan!

September 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Lori, IL

@Fred – Why are we even in Afghanistan anymore? - Because we took our eye off of Afghanistan and invaded Iraq. With all the resources going to the war in Iraq, the Taliban were allowed to move back in - making Afghanistan a safe haven for terrorists once again. If we had finished what we started and not invaded Iraq, Afghanistan would be in better shape as would our international reputation, which was greatly tarnished when we invaded Iraq.

September 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Yari

Glad to see the troops unity. Can't believe how hot it gets out there and no one is sweating like crazy

September 9, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  19. Kishore Reddipeta

Anderson, you and your crew, are doing an amazing job bringing us the balanced news reports with facts, from the heart of the battlefield in Afghanistan. Hats off and Salute to the US military risking their lives everyday in the battlefield. We wish you and your team, nothing but success on your courageous trip to the war field.

September 9, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  20. EM

Mike, I agree. The story of Malik is touching. How easy is it for people especially children to fall off cliffs/mountains?

September 9, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  21. David, Indiana

@Starr, formerly known as vincent, The President mention specifically requiring the purchase of health ins from those who could afford it, and accruing savings from stopping Medicare advantage, but I have questions about what Medicare advantage is.

Being a Dad is the most important job...great rept by Sanjay on Medic Nate Dabney.

So good to see Malik wakeful and being cared for by his father and beginning to walk again.

Anderson, will bringing 68,000 US troops into the country bring an end to attacks and even the sporadic violence?

September 9, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Samuel M'boro, TN

I am amazed at the composure AC has in front of the camera, knowing that an IED could rip their vehicle apart any moment. The troops and him are 1000x braver than I am!

September 9, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  23. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I believe we have the military ability to win in Afghanistan. The American public needs to hang in there, or we'll have another political loss like Vietnam.

September 9, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Gerard J. Monaghan

Great story on the "dustoffs." What an intelligent interview — amazing how competent, responsible and impressive our troops are. A buck sergeant with more medical responsibility and experience than most doctors will see in a lifetime and able to express himself intelligently.

September 9, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Linda-Portland, OR

Thank you to the soldiers AND their families...

I am an Army brat and I know first hand how much the family members also go through.

September 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  26. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"Thank you US Marines!"

September 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  27. Nancy

No privacy? I wouldn't sleep.

September 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  28. starr, formerly known as vincent

Anderson, can you please thank the troops for so many of us.

And thank you for your courageous reporting. I see i have been really in the dark about what's going on in Afganistan.

September 9, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson, Dr. Sanjay, Peter Bergen and Michael Ware are really doing great job in Afghantain.... I'm glad baby is doing well as healthy!!!!! Good job and keep up at work!

September 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  30. Kristal in NJ

marisa, yeah, we have a daughter whom is going to be 16 months old which my husband missed her birth due to being deployed in Iraq but got home about 4 days after her birth and was deployed again to afghanistan the day before her 1st birthday and we have a son whom is going to be 3 months old whom he has never seen except the pictures i sent him of him.

September 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  31. Linda-Portland, OR

Thank you to all the soliers for doing what they do....please be safe........having said that, I truly believe we should leave that country.

September 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  32. Minou, New York City

Are there no women on the base?

September 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

These soldiers are not getting paid enough!

September 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  34. Minou, New York City

No privacy? I wouldn't last a day!

September 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  35. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Can we send the troops care packages? If so, how?

September 9, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  36. Beatriz from Washington DC

How can we expect the world to respect the United States, if we don't even have respect for our own President. Mr. Wilson should apologize in public for disrespecting our President in public television. The world and our enemies are watching!

September 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Maggie

My husband is Army and is also stationed at Camp Leatherneck. We love U all, take care and come home safe.

September 9, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Erik

Good evening all, the President did exactly what he was supposed to do, and that was lead, not do everything himself. If that's the case, what are we paying you for !! (Congress,Senate)..

September 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Patricia McFarland

Congressman Joe Wilson: Disgusting lack of respect for the President and our form of government. Where do you think you are? This is the U.S.A. As it once was said "Love it or leave it, buddy." I tried to leave a message for the Congressman but his House website seems to be a little tied up . . .

September 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  40. William Quintana, New Mexico

I do hope that everybody in Congress listens carefully to President Obama and understand that it is morally imperative that we help those that are less fortunate than us. Shame on those politicians from both parties that only think of their well being and not on the well being of the rest of us.

September 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  41. LoriB

Glad I was able to see Afghanistan coverage.
    Stay safe Anderson and CNN crew. Thank you troops!

September 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  42. KarenOma

I also must say to those who like the insurance they have and don't want to change the system we have: one thing you can be sure of is your insurance WILL change and not for the better. With the same employer, denials have increased; my copays have doubled; my deductibles have doubled; my part of the premium has doubled; if yours haven't yet, they will. These increases with decrease in coverage will only continue. You may lose your job, become disabled; your employer may reduce your benefits or stop providing your benefits or "fold". Insurance WILL change and become untenable; something has to be done.

September 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  43. marisa

ty Kristal in NJ well im doing pretty good since i have a new baby he has never seen yet and we have lost many men already. but moral is still high

September 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Kathy Chicago

OMG AC, I hope you are all wearing your protective gear when these blasts go off.

September 9, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Tessie

Nicole, you are one of only a few who didn't say the president's speech was detailed.

Even Republicans are praising him. He did a fantastic job!!

September 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  46. Minou, New York City

Anderson is in the lead vehicle? Is that smart?? I think not!

September 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  47. Jerry Simpson

I'd like to apologize for all of our elected officals representing South Carolina

September 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  48. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Kristal...What kind of temperatures now?

September 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  49. marisa

is anderson staying at the patrol base all week or will he go to another base?

September 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Dawn T. – Pittsburgh,
    It was congress Republican Joe Wilson is now confirmed by CNN.

September 9, 2009 at 10:36 pm |