September 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/09/09

Tonight we'll have the facts on Pres. Obama's health care reform pitch to Congress. His vision. His pitch. He faced an audience split on party lines. There was a lot of applause and even some booing from lawmakers. We'll look beyond the politics and show you reform could impact you and your family. We'll also have more remarkable reports from the war in Afghanistan.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Kristal in NJ

Marisa, i keep hoping i see mine also. he is over there. Hope you are taking this deployment well. I know how you feel with the everyday worries.

September 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Jenni

I too was appalled at the disrespectful shout by some Senator. I don't think I recall seeing such disrespectful behavior towards any other president. I could be wrong, but either way it was uncalled for in the circumstance. The part about the character of our nation was important to me. That's what it boils down to for me. What kind of people are we. We must help to look out for one another ads the future belongs to all. I am concerned the President has already given up too much. I resent the Republicans hollering he isn't being bi-partisan when they are using such nasty tactics. I wasn't a Democrat my entire life and if the other party had behaved the way the Republicans are now I'd have had the same reaction to it. This needs to be done. I don't care how unpopular it may be, it needs to be done for the future. If the cost of medical care continues to rise at it's current rate what will my children face?

September 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  3. Fred

Why are we even in Afghanistan anymore?!?!?

September 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Lori, IL

Thank you Anderson and Sanjay for highlighting what our troops are going through - and allowing them to tell their individual stories. To often we hear about troop numbers and forget that each of the "numbers" is an individual with a family who loves them and worries about them while they are in harm's way in service to our country. Great coverage from Afghanistan this week.

Good idea to let some of the servicemen/women send a message home!

September 9, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  5. Cynthia, NC

What a wonderful sight to see the injured little boy take a few steps. His doctors and nurses are heroes!

September 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  6. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

It should be very good for families can see their relatives who are far away. It is comforting to know, at least today, that els are well.

September 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  7. allen

i too also agreed with the president its a shame the united states is a super power and isnt the leader in healthcare also its a shame that 3rd world countries can manage to insure there citizens i think it is time for america to take back our country

September 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Sharon Hastings

Amazing stories of what the battlefield medical personnel are doing. I just wish there was no need for it, but what a sacrifice they are making. Thank you to all of them.

September 9, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Victoria Heim

Time to honor our troops at the White House.

September 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  10. Letitia

Hi Kathy: What you missed was the unfortunate death of civilized comportment during a Presidential address. A Congressman decided to yell out "you lie" at the President during his speech. It was really shocking and horrifying. I am sure that CNN will replay it at some point.

September 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Judy

I was absolutely appalled by the republican who shouted out during the President 's speech. He should be ashamed and his constituants should feel very sad that he represents them. He should have more respect for the "office" of President as well as the "man" who has the honor and privilage of serving it and leading us. Would he have done the same if a Republican (McCain) had given the same speech. I am proud to be an American and have the privilage of voting for who I feel best fits what I am looking for in a leader. Obama has filled the "office" very well. I vote for the "person" not the party.

September 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  12. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Glad the baby is doing well.

September 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  13. Minou, New York City

I hope little Malik will recover completely and swiftly.

September 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  14. marisa

woohoo i love that they are in afgan doing this live as a wife of a marine in hemland its great that these familes get to c their men in action. i keep praying ill catch a glimps of my hubby

September 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  15. Sarah in FL

those medics are amazing.. Great story..

September 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  16. starr, formerly known as vincent

I am beyond impressed by the reporting from Afganistan!

Sanjay in a helicopter (that could be shot down or crash)
    Anderson, waking to mortar fire
    Michael Ware almost getting killed by an IED the other night.

We really appreciate all of the information you are giving us, but we worry, please stay as safe as possible (paryers to you every day)
    God Bless our Troops who are there much longer (prayers for them everyday until they come hom).
    Thanks for the udate on Malik.

September 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

A great report by Sanjay! It is nice to see the soldiers up close and personal. It makes us appreciate their sacrifices even more.

September 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  18. LorenaR

OK so I missed the whole thing, I am depending on you, and all the comments, to sum it up. According to @Letitia and others, he really gave a good speech. Keep up the good work CNN to keep us posted. What was that disrespectful thing by the Republican? but is anyone surprised? guess i will hear more about it later

September 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  19. Chris in VA

Hey Mr. AC360, Well Anderson, my family watched the President's speech tonight and it gave us a ray of hope because me and my parents are now uninsured. I thought the President made a sincere and very powerful speech. I truly believe he's trying to help all Americans.

September 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  20. CJ

What a great speech! I am tired of all the hatred, lies and scare tactics that we have heard from Repubs on health care - death panels, socialism, total government health care, government making your health decisions. Scare tactics only work if you are too lazy to research information.
    If the Repubs continue with their usual tactics and don't want to dance, let's have the party without them. Afterall, how many town meetings were held when Repubs passed the prescription bill.
    I am very proud of President Obama.

September 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I think the plan will work of the President. The ones who oppose do not have a better plan, and they are afraid to move forward toward the future.

If Thomas Edison had listened to the one who opposer him, we would all still be in the dark.

We all have to be willing to try something new.

September 9, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Kristal in NJ

The weather conditions to us are warm but to them it is getting cold. They are used to 140 degree weather and now it is starting to get cold over there. I only know because my husband is there and when he has the chance to call, he tells me.

September 9, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Ben

I think the president made mince meat out of hsi critics. If they are absolutely sure President Obama is wrong, they should offer alternatives instead of blind criticism.

September 9, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  24. Chrissy

It's a shame the disrespect shown to POTUS by some republicans, one calls him a liar and Eric Cantor was texting while the president was speaking.
    These grown men who supposed to represent our country are a total embarrassment, to the country.

September 9, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  25. David, Indiana

@Isabel, I didn't know that an NYT reporter was kidnapped recently.

Anderson you and the 360 crew and everyone please continue to be careful.

The insurance reforms in the President's plan themselves are a light years push forward. Expanding access to health insurance can be accomplished in several ways. Surprised by Tom Foreman's rept that he didn't see much middle ground in the WH online discussion, I feel most of the American people could stick right to the middle ground.

September 9, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Gilda

I thought the speech was excellent. The person who yelled "liar" during Obama's speech should be recalled and made to apologize. He disrespected the office of President, not Mr. Obama. Behavior like that from ANY elected representative is reprehensible. You are an embarrassment to your country!

September 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  27. Jennifer

why does the president and the other representative not show the critics the faces of the children and people that are out of work for one reason or another and have no insurance i am sure like myself everyone knows someone either a friend or family member that does not have any insurance coverage for what ever reason i have a single mother that works with me and her daughter when she turned 10 year old was no longer eligible for public health insurance how is this right for a child with a hard working parent trying to make ends meet i think if this bill is to pass the people in power need to put a face on the problem i am sure for all of the critics there is family or person that does not have a public platform to voice their needs and how urgent the need is

September 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  28. athena

Why should anyone be surprised by the rudeness of Congressman Wilson? Weren't the Republicans as rude and disrespectul when they attempted to block the president from speaking to school children? Shame on all of them! This is why I haven't voted Republican in years.

September 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  29. kalvin

I tihnk obama did a great job , stood firm and did what he had to do . Go public option.!!!!!

September 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  30. Danny

Why would anyone not want to continue taking care of our elderly. Most everyone in the room is closer to that type of care than I am. Everyone in that room also is making way to much money. They are stealing. I do agree that Obama came into the deficit but he is trying to do something. That is respectful. People yelling LIAR is not. I remember if I was to do that growing up I would have been punished. This is an ELECTED official. I say he should excuse himself. He apparently is very childish and not respectful. Like it or not Obama is the President.

September 9, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Can someone at CNN tell us what the weather conditions are where Sanje, Anderson, and Michael Ware are reporting from?

September 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  32. Phillip Olivas

I heard 2 different CEO's of major health care companies state that the public option would drive down their costs and risks, since the folks with pre-existing problems and the hard to insure would go to the public option and therefore, give the companies the ability to lower their premiums, not raise them, since their pools of customers would be cheaper to cover.

Why is nobody reporting this fact?

September 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Hilary

We do fight for freedom of speech and treasure it but the rules of civility and honoring the OFFICE of the President calls for civilized behavior during a time when our Commander in Chief addresses the Joint Houses of Congress and the Nation. Appalling behavior regardless of party............no vote for Mr. Wilson if I were a S. Carolina voter rather than one from Maine............who awaits thoughts from our Sen. Collins and Snowe.

September 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  34. patty

need wealth reform include puplic option ! -50 years old-union worker-unemployed if not for the presidents help i would not have any health ins. what the furture will bring who knows!

September 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Minou, New York City

Question:
    what about blood supply? Do they have enough blood in Afghanistan? I should go and donate some....

September 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  36. LorenaR

@Bill. I am so glad for your comment on death panels. Every enlightening thing on this matter helps, and helps negate the awful and idiotic uproar from the sarah palin-led hysterical masses of people who oppose everything coming from this administration.

September 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  37. SCOTT

Where were the republicans who are worried about how we are going to pay for health care, when the IRAQ war started, and their President started spending all that money on the war?

September 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Beatriz from Washington DC

I am a foreign born but a proud US citizen now. As an American, as a foreigner, as a woman, as a daughter with a very sick Mother, as a wife and mother of two children, and more important as an ex-Republican and now a registered Democrat, I am very proud to have a President who no matter what, is committed to human dignity.

Is not going to be an easy job, but health care will be available for all Americans, no matter what color, political affiliation or religion.

I observed very carefully the faces and attitudes of the Republican members, only wishing that their arrogancy will change for humility and that instead of being the winners of the political show, they will focus on all American people in need at these difficult times.

I have a lot of respect for you Anderson Cooper and thank you for the opportunity to speak out. Thank you,

September 9, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  39. John

President Obama tonight gave one of the best speeches ever given by any president on the most important issue of our generation. He massaged those opposed,but sitting on the edge of center and threw cinder blocks at those repugnant Republicans right wing"wingnuts" who have better health care than most of us,yet don't think the rest of us are worthy of it. Congress has the opportunity to truly make our health care system the best in the world by making it avaiable to all citizens not just those who can afford it! 2010 is just around the corner and we are watching- pass health care reform!

September 9, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Tessie

I absolutely love David Gergen, but tonight his analysis was off a bit.

He seemed to suggest that the more progressive side of the Democratic Party would not be pleased with the president's plan that he laid out.

David, wow ... you should have taken a look at the larger blogs Democratic sites (100K+ members - Daily Kos, Democratic Underground, etc.) and look at the POSITIVE reaction!

Despite media reports --- Democrats (even the most liberal) were extremely pleased with the president's speech this evening!

September 9, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Ramona, Jackson, MS

Evening All! Pres OBama gave an excellent speech tonight. POTUS should always be given his level of respect by all Americans; what part of being the leader of this country do some people not understand? We need healthcare coverage for all and we need it now. We need to get out of this war.

September 9, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Stephanie

Anderson, are you OK? You sound a little sick – not your usual level of energy. Hope you're OK. Love your work and your adventurous spirit!

September 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  43. Kathy Chicago

Hi guys, at a wake. Did I miss anything important?

September 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

John King is doing great job asked whole CNN anaylsts during the show.... Excellent John! 🙂

September 9, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  45. Norman Patten

Take that disrespectful member of congress to Afgahnistan and let him explain his behavior to the troops who defend his freedom of speech.

September 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  46. Louis Shenouda

Gouvernment health care insurance does work only if you have a cancer or hear problem otherwise you will wait and wait, please do not do it, I know I'm in Canada. We know that now we're changing to mix health care, gouvernment and private.

September 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Tanzie

Very disrespectful of the republican congressman who yelled out during the Presidents speech. If he would like to conduct himself in a way such as someone In a town hall meeting, he should have been treated as such, HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN ESCORTED OUT OF THE AREA., if he cannot control himself, or until he can conduct himself as an elected official someone who is a Representative of the people.

September 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  48. Hilary

What happened to Roberts Rule of Order tonight?!
    I think VP Biden seemed to ask Speaker Pelosi, at the time, to call for mr. Wilson's removal by the SGT. at Arms and she shook her head "no"...by order of the President not to react tonight perhaps? Or not...................

September 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  49. Ann Hall

I was very pleased by the speech. I think it dispelled a number of errors being spread by a minority, and I think it appealed to America's sense of responsibility to the less fortunate.

I have just had a hip replacement, and I do not have Medicare, but I do have a good insurance plan through my work. I also have a very supportive family, given the fact that the health care system works to get people home asap, whether or not they can move!. It's amazing to me to see the difference in coverage between my care and my Medicare friends' care. My Medicare friends had a lot more rehab opportunities and benefits after the surgery.

Another friend of mine lives in the UK, and his daughter was born with MANY aliments. Their government-run health care system has offered him and his family amazing care. And he has not had to bankrupt his life, career, and soul. He has also not had to wait for care.

September 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  50. Cupid D Atkins

The public option is cheaper than the the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and we as a nation still can't come together across party lines put something in place that will help every American whether insured underinsured or uninsured.
    No matter what this President does rather it's good or bad we still have these social and politcal attitudes out there that is not meaning good for the country as a whole and will strike whatever he does down.
    It's like what they said about Al Gore when the Bush George W. won the first term with a lot of suspected illegal ballot counting. GET OVER IT!! He's the president now and he will be for at least 3+ more years and if these negative politicians do not stop their bias then they prove that they don't care about the American people,but their own agendas.
    The President has done nothing but reach out to his haters but they on they other hand has done everything to breathe hate into innocent Americans with their propaganda.
    If you have a good idea republicans then bring it to the table and let's work together to get this issue solved because American people are suffering here and abroad.The more time we spend bickering about this inevitable Health-Care Plan the more we neglect the troops overseas.It's time to move on people.Let's come together for the good of our country men women and children and let's put aside social,racial, and political lines.

September 9, 2009 at 10:26 pm |