September 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/09/09

Tonight we'll have the facts on Pres. Obama's health care reform pitch to Congress. His vision. His pitch. He faced an audience split on party lines. There was a lot of applause and even some booing from lawmakers. We'll look beyond the politics and show you reform could impact you and your family. We'll also have more remarkable reports from the war in Afghanistan.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Rebecca Cannon

I sent this to Florida GOP after our President's address:

I was an Independent. After tonight's grossly-disrespectful and inappropriate display by elected Republican representatives, I am a firmly voting Democrat. It was shameful – unfortunately, a typical Republican show – selfish, close-minded, and certainly showing motivation of self and political agenda and not respect of country.

My husband, who was a stark Republican, voted for Obama during the Presidential election because he saw that Republican ideals were lacking the ability to evolve in today's ever changing challenges and wanted a better future for his children. He continued to be a large fund raiser and contributor as he still considered himself a Republican at heart. Tonight's display, and also recent ridiculous Republic reaction to our President's address to children to stay in school, further entrenches his feeling that Republicans are more concerned with their egos than making a better America for future generations. We will not vote Republican again and will continue to support our President.

I am embarrassed for our country as the world watches these addresses by our elected leader and, no matter what personal views are held, all should show respect to our Commander and Chief. It should never be forgotten that you represent the people – your offices are not owned. The arrogance is stifling. It is becoming evidently clear – you are the problem.

2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I read about Stephen Farrell's release and the death of the soldier. I really respect the brave journalists that visit these war zones, but I worry about he fact that the soldiers have to be responsible for their safety.

3. Mike

What were all those papers and signs people were holing up?

4. Minou, New York City

Oh that's a great idea! Giving the soldiers at Jaker a chance to say "hi" to their loved-ones back home! I bet their families appreciate seeing them on TV.

5. Norma Jean Mannion

Why don't you name the person who disrespectfully yelled out "You Lie" during the President's speech. He needs to be held responsible for his lack of character. How shameful to hide in anonymity. His name, as reported on other channels, is Joe Wilson, Republican Congressman from South Carolina.

6. Deborah

Thankfully we have a leader willing to lead us, thank you President Obama. I was sorry to see that some are still afraid to have a reasoned discourse – what a sad example for our youth. I believe an apology is in order.

7. Randy Woodstock, IL.

Thanks Anderson for arranging the troops to send messages home. I am sure the families apprecaite it.

8. starr, formerly known as vincent

@Tim, i like the way you think!

9. mary

I don't get it...I'm one of the fortunate who has a job and health insurance..Support the health care plan for those less fortunate..what goes around comes around...so what we may die with a little less..we will be rewarded!

10. Carl Friedrichs MD

Senator McCain commented this evening that Obama's was incorrect in stating that people who have their current private insurance would have that changed, because, they could be switched to the public option by their employer with out their choice, if this was part of the equation.

What McCain fails to mention is that employers already do this to employees when they switch insurance companies at renewal time, in order to cut costs by going with a company that has a cheaper plan, usually with less benefits.

11. Karen

Congressman Joe Wilson should be ashamed of himself! That was very disrepectful to heckle the president. HE MUST APOLOGIZE or BE FIRED! Instead of using his time to heckle the president, he should work WITH the president to come up with a solution.

12. Jeremy, Ohio

I hope everyone see's this delay for what it really is. If the democrats get this passed, it'll be a democratic victory that they'll hold over the republicans for years to come. So the republicans can't let this pass or face a major party turnover in coming elections. The democrats have to play it safe because if it backfires on them the turnover would fall on them, and in the big picture the ones that suffer are my parents and my kids as their inheritance and retirement money are wiped out from care of my grandmother..... or lack thereof.

13. Elaine Thomas

People want to know how much something cost. You wanted a number. You got one. $900 Billion. Could be more. Could be less. No one knows until it happens. People really need to stop tripping! Is your gas bill the same number every year?
    We have another President that really cares about people. The Bushes didn't do nearly as much as Obama and he has only been President 8 months! Give the man a chance. Good Grief!

14. Larry

1. The man who said "you lie" during the speech, should resign and go home.
    2. I agreed with most everything that the president said.
    3. Figure out how to make it work.
    4. Raise my taxes, I am a vet and a republican and we need a reverse of the tax breaks enacted years ago. Like we needed the money.
    4. Please stop playing politics with health care.

15. Dinesh

President has apealed to everybody that let us put America First.
    He has explained in required details the complete outline of the
    health proposal. I earnestly request members of congress and special interest that in this difficult times let us be together to reduce the sufferings of millions of Americans and pass the health care bill at the earliest. Some small details can always be improved upon further later.

September 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  16. Will

It should be illegal for a doctor to charge different prices for the same service on the same day. Insurance companies set the rates. The marketplace for healthcare comes down to how many people can be locked into a healthplan.

September 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  17. Patty, GV

Anderson, are you well? You don't sound like yourself. We appreciate so much the coverage you provide right in the middle of conflict, but we worry for you! You and your crew stay safe!

September 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  18. Niki

I work for a city agency and belong to a union. I have full benefits and do not pay for them. I am wondering since I have excellent benefits, do not pay, and most importantly am able to see very very good doctors, will I have the same access under Obama's new policy?
    The utmost importance is experienced and educated doctors. I find that it depends what insurance you have- measures how experienced the doctor. What does Obama feel about this?

September 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Greg S

How can "public option" opponents, at once, claim (1) the gov't can't run anything right and (2) if private insurance has to compete with the gov't, then they will lose? If private insurance is so good, then it shouldn't worry about competing against such an inefficient competitor like the gov't.

The arguments against the public option are mutually exclusive.

September 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  20. SELVIN ALVAREZ

we need get control of health waste why should gooverment pay 4500 for a wheell chair that cost 350 because insurence bloats the bill with greed cheating the goverment to overcharge we need to make laws to have goverment get public bids to build equipment needed for health say crutches wheelchairs or any equipment make sure they are not over charged

September 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  21. Amy

I was appalled by Joe Wilson's outburst during the President's speech tonight. Disappointing also. I thought we were better than that.

September 9, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  22. Marci

Tell the republician who had the no bill poster on his lap and then spoke on your show saying they could do better ,ask why it wasn't done the last 8 years ? While bush was in ?

23. James

I thought that Obama stated his plan clearly. There might be some changes here and there in a few weeks, but I can't wait for the day we have reform.

24. Vickie_AR

@Mike, Syracuse, NY
    How can Pres. Obama be lying based on an "IF"? You can't lie about something that hasn't even happened?

25. pam

I am all for health care reform but am wondering how this is going to affect those who work in health care. There is already significant staff shortages in many health fields. I am wondering if the quality of service will be affected as well as the reimbursement rates. Many health care workers already feel that they are overworked and underpaid. There is already a high level of burnout. Are there any proposed incentives for people to enter health care fields?

26. Ric Ramsey

Are the health care problems with increasing medical cost or too many people and companies trying to increase their profit margin? If they wanted to, the could make money and lower costs!!!

27. Therese Quinn

My question is: What were the papers that some members of congress held up during The Presidents speech tonight? It seemed like they were protesting some portion of the speech but I want to know what the papers were!

28. Bryant S. Edwards

A.C.,
    Just watched the President's speech, very well done. But here's what I want to know, why not a compromise. I'm a moderate voter who believes in the public option as well as tort reform. Why not give the Dems the public option in exchange for tort reform, both will keep costs down.

29. Barbara

The republicans tonight showed us that we need to elect some more fresh-idea citizens to the congress. They sat there with a scowl on their face and what felt like to me a deep resentment and disrespect to the President of the United States of America. But I must thank Senator McCain for his remarks about the disrespect.

30. Mike, Syracuse, NY

I fail to see why health care companies shouldn't get a fair profit. Food is an essential too, yet no one complains if a supermarket makes a profit. I'd like to see an analysis showing why we spend more per capita on health care than most countries yet get less.

31. Lori, IL

What a sad day for our country when a congressman yells out “you lie” during a President’s Address to the Joint Session of Congress. This congressman owes an apology to President Obama, to his colleagues in Congress, his constituants and to the American people. This basic lack of respect is intolerable no matter who is President. What kind of example is he setting for the children of our country?

32. Solomon

While we send our brave men and women to risk their lives in Afganistan to protect americans from possible future attacks, how can we fail to protect americans from the deaths caused by insurance companies who are operating legally here in america....what a paradox?

33. Jessica

I watched his speech tonight and was impressed with what he had to say - that being said, I come from a family of medical doctors who feel like in order for this work medical malpractice need to also be reformed. My father is financially responsible for his entire office, he pays all the bills, his employees insurance, malpractice insurance, and all the necessary dues and continuing education. With reimbursement rate so low he claims that he is now working harder than he ever has in 25 years and now making it difficult to make ends meet. Does the plan talk about reimbursement rates?

34. Christina P Montana

President Obama's speach was fantastic. I wished I could have reached into the TV and smacked the brash, hateful and disrespectful faces of the republican good old boy club. They have now embarassed us in front of the whole world. How dare they? I think the senator who yelled out "liar", should suffer some consequence. What a rude thing to do. Did you ever see so much angry gum chewing in your life? We are behind you and your plan, Mr. President Obama!

September 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Kristal in NJ

how is he going to put politics aside when the war is involved with the politics and worry about the US citizens? There are plenty of US citizens over there in our war that deserve to be home but are not due to political issues.

September 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  36. Sherry

Thank you for being in Afghanistan and showing what the conditions really are. Wonder about the schools established in Pakistan and Afghanistan by Greg Mortenson. I think following that effort up speaks to another way of impacting the region.

September 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  37. Bob

healthcare in America is not about taking care of americans its about making money and until we put profit aside we will never truly have healthcare. Why is the greatest country in the world the only one among developed nations not to have universal healthcare??? We as a nation have to start to put making profits secondary and start doing the right thing.. How many millions are enough?? how many?? Americans have become slaves to capitalism and when we can not contribute to the "profits" of corporations they are left to die with a slap in the face.

September 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  38. Pat Winters

I'm concerned about Senator McCain's comments during his interview tonight, that if the Public Option is passed, and more Americans"gravitate" towards the Public Option then the cost of private insurance will increase. Capitalism is defined by competition, which benefits the American people by keeping or driving costs low. When will John McCain, and his republican cronies stop hiding behind the political contributions of their Pharmaceutical,Medical Insurance Companies, Medical Doctor, and Private Hospital Companies buddies. It's time we had a country as our Fore Fathers created it......"For The People, By The People, and Of The People"....We spend 3 trillion dollars a year for Medical Care in this country with over 100,000 needless deaths in our hospitals, ranking only 37th Worldwide, and with over half of that 3 trillion dollar budget going to the pharmaceutical companies in this country who have markups of immeasurable amounts, many 10,000%-40000% in markups. The Republican's healthcare industry does not exemplify a "Free Enterprise" system but a "FREE-FOR-ALL" system. Let's put the health of the American People, young and old, rich and poor, ahead of the greedy profits and stock options of the few who run these private health care companies and practices. America is "SICK", and without a healthy nation nation we can not prosper.....we can not survive!!!

September 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  39. Danielle, California

Regarding the Republican response: Obama campaigned with the public option and he was elected President by the American people. There is no reason to take the public option off the table to appease the loud minority. Without the public option, the proposed change is insignificant.

September 9, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Brian

Why don't we just pass this thing? If in 2012 it doesn't work the voters will decided it for themselves! The greatness of our country is that things can always be changed. We can amend it in the future if things don't work out. The only way we can get health reform going is if we start trying things instead of just arguing...

September 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Nelson

Bi-partisan

I'll trade you the public option for tort reform !

September 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  42. lourdes alonso

I am 68 years old retire and I think the insurance reform should have a public option, I have medicare and I belong to a plan in Miami, Dade county, Florida the name is Leon Medicals Centers and believe me this is the best plan you can have the service the attetion and the respect they have provide is excellent. The people that opposed the public option wants to perpetuate the abuses of the insurance companies.

September 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Ruby Esquivel

Loved his speech...I think both republicans and democrats need to bring this reform in health care to all americans now. I feel money or who/how it will get paid for is no longer a legitimate excuse when we are paying for a war that was presented to all americans on lies.

September 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Lucy

Can't believe a republician congressman was so disrespectful, what does this teach our children? If a child did this in school to a teacher or principal what would happen to that child? This congressman should be held accountable for his bad behavior.

September 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Florence

Please explain to those who object the public option, we (taxpayers) have been supplying healthcare to inmates across the United States and now it's time to provide the same care to law abiding, hard working citizens.

September 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Randy Woodstock, IL.

@ Tom We wil never change the minds of the far left or the far right. But at sometime in this debate we need to talk morals and whats right. The attacks and lack of respect on both sides are destroying what we have built in this country. Tonights comments are only an example of whats wrong with this debate. Where has the compasion for people gone?

September 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Brenda Mt Vernon, IL

Watch you faithfully. Take care you.
    Saw many in my classroom that needed healthcare- sad to see so many in need in this great country. Why? Maybe all those in the govt need to get their own healthcare and not be part of their job? I too was ashamed of behavior and disrespect.

September 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Chrissy

President Obama kicked it outta the park tonight, this is the man we elected in November.
    I couldn't believe a congressman would call the POTUS a liar on live television. I was watching in the Student Union with Americans and international students ,I tell you I wanted to crawl under my chair when that idiot screamed out liar.
    What happened to respect the office if not the man?
    Oh well, POTUS slammed it and called out the liars and those with all the fear tactics.

September 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@dewey, I thought President Obama grounded out. No minds have been changed.

September 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  50. DENNIS DAVIS

As a 68 year old white republican amarican I can only say that President Obama is the most intellegent speaker I have heard in decades.
    I am so comfortable with his ability to represent our country and am behind him 100% on health care reform.
    I am ashamed of the republican senators and congressman that I trusted in to show good judgement in matters that are so vital to the future of our country. Their actions at his congressional address were at the least cowardly and dispicable.
    Yes I am a regestered republican and voted for Ronald Reagan and both the Bush presidents.
    Dennis Davis