September 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/09/09

Tonight we'll have the facts on Pres. Obama's health care reform pitch to Congress. His vision. His pitch. He faced an audience split on party lines. There was a lot of applause and even some booing from lawmakers. We'll look beyond the politics and show you reform could impact you and your family. We'll also have more remarkable reports from the war in Afghanistan.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Sally

I am a Republican and on behalf of reasonable Republicans, I would like to apologize to President Obama for disrespectful comments by a Republican congressman during his speech. It is not what we are supposed to be about. It was rude and embarrassing.

September 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Charleen Schuster

Obama made it completely clear what he expects to cover in the Health Care Bill! It's time to vote for it and forget the republicans, they will never go along with anything Obama wants!

I need health insurance, I am one of those thousands that don't have it. I am a widow on Social Security but I am not 65. I can't pay for expense health care insurance with the money I get each month from my Social Security. My mother and sister both had breast cancer! My mother died from it!

Everyone deserves to have affordable health care insurance!

September 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Kelly

I agree with Pres. Obama. It's time for us to stand up for the little guy, to many families can't afford the high cost of health ins. The time is now for health care reform, I was a republican, not now, I couldn't hold my head high if I called myself a republican........

September 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  4. jorge PE

force Anderson in Afaganisthan. John does a good job here.

September 9, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  5. Julie Stockhaus

AC–What happened to your voice? Is the dust getting to you? Loved your piece Tues. night–excellent journalism! Would like to see even more of the living conditions and daily life of the Marines. Thanks for taking the risk to show us the real deal over there.

September 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  6. athena

I work in an internal medicine office. Just today I was talking to someone that pays $900 a month for insurance but couldn't afford the deductible on blood work the doctor ordered for his medical condition. This is a different type of rationed healthcare. Only the rich can afford to take care of themselves. We're overdue for reform.

September 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ann,
    Yes, (Anderson) he is really in Afgahistain right now this week.

September 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  8. Sharon

President Obama's speech was great. Rep Charles Boustany basically said that everything we were told is a lie. So he wasted his breath. The Republicans are still saying he is a lier and that we are to believe the Republicans for they are telling the truth. We are a country that is so badly divided that we need not worry about another country conquering this country for we will destroy ourselves from within. We are now run by the fear mongers and truth has been thrown out the window.

September 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  9. julie

Wow! Obamas speech was great! I hope the Republicans can see that the American people support Obama. We elected him for a reason. How disappointing the behavior of the Republicans. You should all be ashamed of yourselves!

September 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  10. Bonnie

I am a veteran teacher with 28 years experience. When we start to wonder why children act with aggression and disrespect, all we have to do is listen to how the Representative from South Carolina responded to the President of the United States of America tonight.

September 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  11. Tim

I agree with the president. Time to put the politics aside and take care of the U.S. citizens.

September 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  12. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on air after the speech.
    It must be a tense and uncomfortable atmosphere day to day in Afghanistan. At least the reporter being freed today is good news.
    Stay safe!

September 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  13. Dan Schmidt

As a small business will I as an employer be able to use the public option Insurance exchange to shop our insurance across state lines?

September 9, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  14. Clinton MD

The Preident is trying to work very hard for all American people while others are fighting agains everything he does, hey the world is watching America!

15. Kari

How can we expect our children to respect their parents and teachers when our elected officials feel it's okay to heckle the president of our country during a speech, and on national t.v. no less! This makes me sad for our country.

16. RaDonna

Superb speech tonight. I am ashamed of the way the Republicans acted tonight! I love the presidents plan and I think he did a great job! Stop the whinning republicans.

17. Lonnie

The way to cut the cost is to mandate to take the profit out of healthcare. Period. Cut profit out of health insurance and it wil work just fine. Once health is not for profit, we'll have healthier Americans and a few very rich men who decide they can make billions elsewhere~

18. dewey

I thought President Obama hit a home run!

19. shirley

I feel the president did an execellent job! There are always going to those who are never ok with anything...so goes the saying "you can satisfy some of the people some of the time but, never all of the people all of the time"...touche'. He appears to be a peaceable man who would love to see people respect and care for each other and I feel that irritates a precious few.....peace!

20. craig

In all of the years of Bush I never saw democrats behave as badly as the republicans did tonight. Waving signs and copies of their plan is behavior I would not want my children to see or copy. As for the congressman who yelled out "You Lie" he should be made to resign. America deserve better from there leaders.

21. Patty, GV

Obama just nailed his speech! I was actually in tears! Then afterwards listening to the Republican rebuttal(?) I was yelling at my TV! I sincerely hope the neighbours don't think I was yelling at my kids! The commercial featuring a Canadian denouncing her healthcare is an absolute lie. Many Canadians are wondering how much she got paid. There have been a number of articles locally about her, and none have been flattering! This will be the greatest boost to the American quality of life. I'm so very happy for you!

22. Faith from Tampa

Hey Anderson! Speech was good. I think if Republicans open their minds, they will see there re some great benefits to public option.

23. Anthony

Hi, I thought the president Obama's speach on health care was outstanding, it's time for foolishness to end, and I do not care who in the congress or senate votes no on this very important issue. They better remember, we the voters will decide who keep there jobs. So get it done.

Anthony
    Miami, FL

24. Sarah in FL

Pre-existing conditions should not preclude someone from having access to health care.

25. Cindy, Ohio

Republicans should be embarrassed tonight. I know I'm embarrassed for being one for so many years. When will Republicans become Americans?

26. Feriedoon

Hello Anderson and Team 360 in Afghanistan. I am a US citizen, but I was born in Afghanistan.

Thank you guys for what you have been doing out in Afghanistan.
    I was there last year as a Linguist and I know how hard it is to be out there. I pray for you guys to be come back home save.

September 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  27. June

NIcole, one way he mentioned (about paying for it) was the government would not be a for profit. like some large health care companies even during the recession, have profited hundreds of millions of dollars in one quarter.

September 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  28. Alice

Why doesn't Congress cut the abuse and fraud in medicare now? Then we'd know if there is enough to pay for the healthcare bill or not.

September 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Dawn T. - Pittsburgh

Uh, will someone please identify the ignorant congressman who yelled "lie"! Earlier Dana Bash said she believed she knew who it was but wanted to confirm. You all are CNN. I'm sure u have confirmed it by now. Reveal it.

September 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  30. Lori, IL

What a sad day for our country when a congressman yells out "you lie" to the President during a President's Address to the Joint Session of Congress. This congressman owes an apology to President Obama, to his colleagues in Congress, his constituants and to the American people. This basic lack of respect is intolerable no matter who is President. What kind of example is he setting for the children of our country?

September 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  31. LaTanya Bolden, dc

I loved the speech and agree with everything he said about healthcare reform, from his plan to the way he called out the nay-sayers. I think he went a long way to bringing more Americans to his side of this issue. As a republican, it saddens me to see that most of the political members of my party are so self-serving that they don't see the good that this plan will do. I'm glad that the president has also addressed the lies that most Americans have heard. Its time for the American people to look at the facts and do our own research instead of listening to others who have their own agenda.

September 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  32. Laura

Speech was great, can we get some numbers on the insurance companies profits and their executive pays and bonuses....I havent heard anything about their number.

September 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Randy Woodstock, IL.

It is good that the Liar comment was brought up, however no where near the amount of time I feel should have been spent on it. No matter what party is President that is way out of line. It stirs up the craz

September 9, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  34. geneva

Hi there, sick to death of old politics and folks not willing to put the American people before their own agenda, (ref re-election)...give our president a chance as his heart seems to be in the place of the people, where it SHOULD be. Goodnight and God speed to our troops!

35. Usha

I liked the speech, President gave good details, We as a nation has to act fast and pass the bill ASAP

36. Nnamdi

Healthcare is a delicate care in our country, the president's plan is ok but i think handling this issue in a bipartisan way should be the best option.

37. Samuel M'boro, TN

Joe Wilson made a political move that just may be popular with his constituents, but not the rest of the nation. He should apologize.. I am appalled at the immaturity.

38. starr, formerly known as vincent

When the Pres. said he would "call" people out, the Rep. response right after his speech was in direct contradiction with the "facts" that Pres. Obama had just laid out
    (I think the President is going to have his hands full calling people out.)

I was astounded at the behavior of some members of Congress. This is the President of the US, No One ever did that to Bush and many of us disagreed with him chronically!

39. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Anderson is obviously having issues with the dryness of the desert.

He is coming from a very wet climate to a very arid one.

Take care and use a lot of lotion but not water based ones...they chap you even more...the petroleum based or lanolin based ones are better to stop the chapping.

A thin layer inside your nose will help but feel funny.

40. KarenOma

Anderson, you sound ill! Take care of yourself.
    I really liked the president's speech. The fact that we are the only developed country that treats health care like a big business and not a service has galled me all of my adult life. The fact that so much of our "health care" money goes for administration and to make the companies rich galls me. My entire adult life has been determined [controlled] by insurance being tied to employment - affects or prevents changing jobs, moving to another state or even area of the same state, starting a business, staying home with children, retiring, etc., etc. When the company I worked for went under, I got isingle [not family] nsurance under COBRA for $500+ a month - with no job?!!!

41. Michael

Linda, I completely agree with you....one of the fundamental principles in a democracy is to respect differing opinions, respectfully. President Obama is the president of the United States...ALL the states. Even if you disagree, you still show respect to the nation's leader! Regardless of how the Congressman felt, there are norms and rules that we ALL must abide by (especially people in high positions). He taught our kids A LOT tonight...that is so sad

42. Roy Montemayor

Anderson;
    I found Congressman Wilson’s verbal attack towards our President to be appalling, disgraceful and a true cowardly act. Hiding himself around his Republican friends and shouting, much like the Republican tactics being utilized during the health care town hall meetings. History has shown us that TURE AMERICANS come together in difficult times and work towards resolving these difficult issues.
    To Congressman Wilson; If you have no positive input?, then remain quite.
    Mr. Montemayor

43. Judy

One question that I have heard throughout my workplace. Politicians do not pay for their health insurance and will not be on this program. Is this true? I think if we as American's are on such a program, so should our politicians.

44. Dani

It's obvious from both speeches that there is a lot Democrats and Republicans do agree on, so why can't they get get health care reform started by passing a bill that addresses those, and tackle the other issues individually? Does it really all have to be one bill?

45. Sherry

Great speech, but with the climate in Washington ( and on blogs, talk shows, etc) it is an uphill fight. Cooperation and respect are rare in Washington, from what I see.

46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with CNN analysts, Candy, Ed Rollins Paul Begala & David Gergen's comment about health care. I am surprised Republicans aren't support health care, but I disagree with republicans by health care... I saw republicans hold paper bill reform health care up the crowd.

September 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Jeremy, Ohio

I really try to see both sides of this debate, but it really burns me up and makes me never want to vote for a Republican again. All they seem to do is balk over some hard headed preconception that their money backing special interest group pays them to believe. I sure hope these pocket stuffers have a good excuse when they meet their judgement day.

September 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  48. Diana

Yes, President Obama rocked tonight. I was horrified with the disrespect from the Republican congressman, unbelievable.

September 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  49. Ed Rice

Anderson, I am 56 years old and I have never heard anything so disrespectful as to call the President a LIE joe wilson needs to apologize.Can all just get along!!!!!!!!!!!

September 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  50. Phyllis

Health care for all is a moral issue. Pres. Obama is right, we need to move on this bill this month.

September 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |