September 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/09/09

Tonight we'll have the facts on Pres. Obama's health care reform pitch to Congress. His vision. His pitch. He faced an audience split on party lines. There was a lot of applause and even some booing from lawmakers. We'll look beyond the politics and show you reform could impact you and your family. We'll also have more remarkable reports from the war in Afghanistan.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. vijay

Anderson, Obama did a fantastic job. I think days of political bickering is over. we need a health insurance reform now not next year.
    Hayward, Calif.

September 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  2. eleanor . ga

God evening Erica, fellow bloggers. I enjoyed the sincere speech given by President Obama...like the standing ovations also.

September 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  3. Mike, Syracuse, NY

While the comment made while Obama was talking was out of line, what was said was true. If illegals become "legal" it doesn't matter does it?

September 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  4. Geoff

sounds like AC need a little house call. As for health care reform, the KISS method must be beyond the grasp of those in Washington.

September 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  5. Givonna

The President brought me to tears tonight. We are a better country than what we have seen in the behavior of the Republicans.

Can you tell people again that the public option is NOT for people who already have coverage.

And can you also talk a little more about the trigger aspect?

September 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  6. greg -oklahoma

all agree we need reform so why all rep sitting on their hands? republicans scared of losing insurance money for there next election runs?

September 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Jim

I've heard commentators on this program and others say that President Obama claimed his health care program would not cost any added money. I believe this is a misrepresentation of what he said.

What he said is that it would not add to the budget deficit. This could be achieved if added costs are offset by spending cuts elsewhere or by additional revenues.

We can differ on the best way forward on health care, but please don't distort things so recklessly.

September 9, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. David Harrell

I do support health insurance reform, My mother need a hearing aid and medical care want pay for it . what wrong with america

September 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

This was a very partisan speech tonight. Obama may have fired up the Democrats, but he didn't make any friends across the aisle. In fact he probably pushed them farther away from even considering any compromise.

September 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  10. Frances

Conservatives continually comment about the cost of current plans being considered raising the Nat'l debt. Will those same folks tell us how we will save money by doing nothing in light of the escalating cost of our current approach?

Doesn't higher cost to individuals also escalate nat'l debt by taking more taxable income off the tax rolls that is channeled into paying for emergency care for non-insured and by endebting the remainder of us thus taking those off tax rolls?

September 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  11. Minou, New York City

"You lie" ? That is so disrespectful! I'm floored.

September 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Linda-Portland, OR

Linda, there are many people in this country who have a big problem with President Obama simply because he is black...take the speech he gave to our school children yesterday....can you imagine if any one of our other Presidents had given that same speech, that people would keep their kids home from school?..........that people would cry about it that .............it would never happen...we are still a very racist country, jmo

September 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Lampe

How can we trust The Government to eliminat the waste from Medicare to pay for this new program? They have had 40 years in which to do so, and nothing has been done. Now we are just supposed to believe them if Obama says so?

September 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  14. SELVIN ALVAREZ

i truely think Obahma has a strong point its time to stop the disputes its time for action Government should be ashamed its taken this long to put health reform give me a break 100 years of greed takeing advantage of americans it must stop now the public option needs to pass so faR nothing has been done if we do nothing we fail if we try theirs a chance of hope america may become great again with health care for all america is a land of greatness in this centery we need to show we lead in health care not lagg in it europe public health might not be perfect but it has the guts to try not just hope we need action get this health bill passed

September 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Sabrina in Los Angeles

My parents' are Republican so listening to the speech with them was interesting.

It was interesting to hear their side of it.

September 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Michael Morrison

Doesn't the public realize that we are already paying for the health costs of the un-insured? The hospitals and doctors typically treat as many people as they can and recover as much as possible from them. Their costs are set to cover un-paid medical bills from all other patients. If they didn't recover from the insured and able to pay, then we would be hearing about doctors and hospitals going bankrupt.
    It is not as though universal health care will cost the nation more than we are paying now. Said another way, we already pay the bill.

September 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Barbara

What was that about, when the Pres. said there would be a fee on companies with expensive policies? I am not even sure what he acctual said. Reply Please.

September 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Bruce

Anderson, why do they keep sending the troops out in humvee's, rather than in the special bomb proof trucks.

September 9, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  19. Cynthia, NC

Good evening. I found President Obama's speech to be very informative. I only wish he had provided this information to us about six weeks ago. And I agree with everyone's comments concerning the individuals who were disrespectful to the President during his speech. That was uncalled for.

September 9, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Scott

I think this speech provided a great chance for all of us to reflect on our previous positions on the health care debate. What are we really trying to accomplish? For me, it is enhancing security. No more bankruptcies due to unforeseen health care bills, no more people left uninsured, no more unsustainable rising cost of care.

Along with the American public rethinking their positions, maybe this speech will be an opportunity to reflect on their coverage of this issue. Many Americans say they don't understand the proposals that are out there – how could the media do a better job of explaining them? Could they spend less time on the political horse race and more time explaining the policy proposals that have real impacts on all of us?

I challenge CNN and the rest of the media to do just that.

September 9, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  21. Nicole

I don't know what everyone else saw, but all I got out of that speech was a whole lot of promises with no mention of how he's going to back it up. He told us what he's planning, but he didn't mention how he was going to pay for it or any "significant details". How can people say that this is his strongest speech when he all he said was how he wasn't going to pay for it?

September 9, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  22. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Hello Everyone!

I like to wish well Michael Ware and Dr. Sanjay Gupta also in Afghanistan. Be safe and be careful too.

September 9, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  23. J Wade

Anderson,
    Why not a 1% VAT tax on everything to pay for this public option??? It's about time this happens in the USA.

September 9, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  24. Letitia

@ Bill: I agree 100%!!! Well said!

25. Kristal in NJ

I think the thing that we should be focused on the most right now is the war in Afghanistan and not focusing on healthcare. The people whom have it, choose to have it and the ones who don't, choose to either not have it or not have the money to have it. The war should still be the main focus right now. Those men and women are putting their lives on the line to keep our freedom.

26. Mike, Syracuse, NY

President Obama has flung a few lies himself. For example, illegals may not be covered per se, but if they all get amnesty and can stay I bet they get covered.

27. Marisol

I'm curious to find out: Where were all these GREAT Republican healthcare reform ideas during the last 8 years when Republicans were in office? Not ONE thing was done in the last 8 years; why do Democrats need to listen to Republicans NOW??

28. Steve Cook

The biggest issue with the health care debate is the cost with one side saying that it will be debt neutral, while the other side says that it will add to the debt. Neither side seems to provide any proof of their claims. What are the details and the projected cost savings?

29. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, John King and the panel in NYC, and everyone. Kudos to you Anderson for anchoring this program from Afghanistan as you, Michael Ware, Peter Bergen, and Dr. Sanjay Gupta are doing extensive reporting from that country.

I agree with the 72 percent who feel the President went into the details of his plan well. Now that the President and congress are back in session, I feel we're geting more traction.

30. Peggy

President Obama was "Right on". I applaud his courage to stand firm for what he knows is the correct action to take. I see this as his finest moment.

31. Rita H

I watched President Obama's speech so I could be informed. I am one of the many unemployed and uninsured Americans. I could not afford the COBRA plan and my husbands company doesn't provide insurance. My children are now on the State coverage and I'm so glad they had that choice. I support this and I would have even with insurance because people need choices that don't take all their money. I believe Obama has an edge Clinton didn't have years ago and thats peopel in my generation being able to vote now.

32. LaTanya Bolden

I loved the speech and agree with everything he said about healthcare reform, from his plan to the way he called out the nay-sayers. I think he went a long way to bringing more Americans to his side of this issue. As a republican, it saddens me to see that most of the members of

33. lynn

The President reminded us tonight why he won the election. He spoke to the American people (and Congress) with clarity, insight and as equals, intelligent equals.

Can we pass health care reform?
    Yes we can!

34. shiv

Anderson, President Obama’s philosophy on health care cannot be disagreed.But if we have public option that is cheaper, affordable then it going to compromise either quality or run bankrupt.

35. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Sounds like Anderson is getting a cold... hang in there!

36. Moye' from Queens NY

I feel that President Obama gave a speech of tough love.I watch the entire speech and if we dont believe the truth coming directly out of our President mouth then when or who are we going to believe? We may not agreed with Bush but disrespect with Congressman Joe Wilson on the illegal immigrant section by saying "you Liar" is so disrespectful to the office of a President. Anderson and now we wonder why the town halls are like A Civil War??In the words of Obama "I still Believe"!

37. Olga Del Toro

I thought that Obama stand on Health Care was right on target especially when he commented on the public lies during the town hall meetings. We need to reform health care right now, and I trust that Obama will take the bull by the horn to get the job done as he already has demonstrated to us with the numerous stimulus packages initiated by his administration.

38. jim

I keep hearing about not being able to buy insurance across state lines. Why wouldn't this be fixed immediately and what are the prohibitions?

39. maria

Good evening to all.

I liked the President's speech and think that something must be done about healthcare as soon as possible.

It is ridiculous that in the greatest country in the world, so many of us (myself included) can not afford health insurance, and do not qualify for state sponsored insurance. (I make too much for the state and too little to afford insurance)

Having to choose between buying health insurance for my children
    or giving them a decent (far from extravagant) house is heart wrenching.

40. Sharon Hastings

The President gave a great speech. The polls are showing this. As a "public viewer", I felt reassured on some fronts. I'm sure there is not going to be a perfect solution but I hope there will be one with great improvement over what we have now. People are too quick to sell the President short. Look what he's had to deal with.

41. Gray

President Obama said what needed to be said. I thought I might be disappointed by the speech, but I wasn't. Great job-bold and strong.

42. Yari

The President did great tonight he really explained a lot and clarified all the things I was hearing. I hope that Congress can stop looking at each other as seperate parties and look at each other like people who have been elected to serve the American people. They have to come together and make something happen. We still won't have a great coverage like Canada but at least it would be a step at the right direction.So many other countries can get it right yet, we the oh so powerful country can't get it right.

43. Dodie - California

excellent speech by Pres. Obama.

If we did not spend trillions of dollars on the Iraq war, we would have plenty of money to fund the health care reform for the next 30 years.

44. June

I can't believe the snide remark during our Presidents speech. Its so hard to teach my children good manners and to be respectful, when our own congress can't be! Shame on that person!

45. Bryce

Anderson and company, I'm still very concerned with the public option, and I'm not convinced that it won't end up as an entire government ran program. Lastly, I was hoping to see more bipartisanship from the President and am disappointed I did not see that "change" in which he promised last fall.

46. Jishnu

Honesty and Passion..that is what Obama have shown us...Also seen was his frustration by his realization how powerful this industry is and they could misuse elected reps to block the bill completely by telling lies to the people....

47. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good to know that the journalist's New York Times has already been rescued, but it is sad to know that the Afghan reporter died.

48. Norma

I support President Obama. Republicans, stop the nonsense!

49. Letitia

@ Mike and Jo Ann: No matter what the cost, it HAS to be more cost effective than what we are doing now and with the added benefit of covering more people.

50. Mike, Syracuse, NY

So if we supposedly agree on 80%, pass that and leave the rest for another day. The public option is very publicly dead.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7