September 9th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/09/09

Tonight we'll have the facts on Pres. Obama's health care reform pitch to Congress. His vision. His pitch. He faced an audience split on party lines. There was a lot of applause and even some booing from lawmakers. We'll look beyond the politics and show you reform could impact you and your family. We'll also have more remarkable reports from the war in Afghanistan.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Elaine Thomas

Hello Mr. Anderson 🙂

I want to know the name of the congressman that shouted out you lie! Obama speech was great and that congressman was VERY disrespectful.

September 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  2. LoriB, North Dighton, MA

I think the President did a great job! I'm sick of the scare tactics and lies, I'm glad the President spoke up and hopefully put an end to it, or at least caused some people to think about the extremely expensive lengths groups are going to to stop healthcare reform. Kind of makes you wonder why.

September 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  3. Pat

Excellent speech tonight by President Obama. The issue is very much a moral one. Perhaps we could save some money by discontinuing the governments provision of health care to its employees, especially those able to pay premiums out of their own pocket.

September 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  4. Ann

Hey Anderson! Are you really in Afghanistan?

September 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  5. Michael

I think the President's speech was deeply rooted in the fundamental principles that this country was built upon...it is so said, that ANY American would be against the plan simply because it is not everything that they want...In terms of paying for this? Who is paying for the war in Iraq?

September 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  6. Sean

Great Speech Pres. Obama !!!

September 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  7. Barbara

We need to rename the Silent Majority the Loudmouth, Hysterical Minority.

September 9, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  8. starr, formerly known as vincent

Very happy about the rescue of the reporter, very very sorry to lose s soldier though.

Anderson, from you introduction, things sound a little "hairy" over there. Me, my family & my friend continue to pray for you and your team's safety.

September 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  9. Hector Palchik

I support completely the President. I showed today to an old friend the real situation. If you give a slice of bread to a lion, it will eat the bread, together with your hand and arm. That is what the insurance companies are. And the only way to stop them is to put a fence between you and them. That is what the public option will accomplish.

September 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  10. Vic

Greetings all.
    Great speech.
    I can't believe this woman on another message board I'm on.
    After the speech...she said "he didn't say anything about illegal immigrants".
    Not sure what she was listening to.

Stay safe Anderson & others over there.

September 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  11. Verona

I am very proud of the ideals that President Obama so eloquently conveyed in his speech. We all need to pray for wisdom and guidance for all of our leaders.

September 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  12. June

I wish this health care plan would get passed fast. I loved his speech tonight and i support it 100%!!!

September 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  13. Minou, New York City

great program tonight again. I have to work the next 2 nights and miss the show! I hope I can catch the repeat.

September 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  14. Albin George

In my opinion Mr. President did a great job in answering the questions and successfully shot down many of the false claims. I think this plan should pass as proposed. Moreover, about many republicans debating this, If im not wrong I remember the president mentioning that "the public plan" will only be available to those who have no other choice" (which is less than 5%.)

September 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  15. Samuel M'boro, TN

Glad to see (so far, at least) that the program is mostly on Afghanistan. Many were expressing concerns last night that the President's speech (still important, though) may overshadow the coverage.

September 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  16. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The President's supporters will think he did great, opponents heard nothing new particularly with respect to paying for it.

September 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  17. Atul Thakur

A great speech by President Obama. He is using common sense approach to health care. We need to support him. In the long run his approach will make US better as a nation and the deficit will come down.

September 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Brenda Nance

Good speech. Inspiring and informative. Let's get it done!

September 9, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  19. Jishnu

Be Safe in Afghanistan...Sanjay you are awesome..with a baby at home..you are really courageous to be in war zone..

September 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  20. Linda

Our family watched together and was very supportive of health care reform. We are very, very upset with the Congressman Wilson who called the President a "lie" Why are you not talking about this? We should all be upset that our president was disrespected. We do not all agree but we respect our leaders. The congressman should resigned his position. Our country is more racially divided then every before.

September 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  21. Letitia

The outburst from the congressman was on par with the shoe thrown at Bush...only worse–this was an American and an elected official.

September 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sharon Hastings,
    Anderson is doing great, I am sure Dr. Sanjay Gutpa is doing ok.....

September 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Kasey

Hey Anderson get some of our lower rank guys on we are looking for our son thx

September 9, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Kristal in NJ

the only thing i do not understand about this health care is how we are going to get the money to do this WITHOUT raising taxes and everything. I don't understand how we are going to be "ok" with the way this economy is right now.

September 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Michael

Anderson sounds like he is getting sick over there; what's the update on his health...his voice is a little raspy

September 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Jishnu

Factor in my vote to your 72 %..

September 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I still don't know how Obama is planning on paying for this. I don't think he changed anyone's mind.

September 9, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  28. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Starr, i agree. The math is still very fuzzy. Numerous programs have claimed they would pay for themselves by eliminating waste and abuse; none have succeeded.

September 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Jishnu

Anderson,I couldnt find a place to cast my online vote. Obama rocked..

September 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  30. Jason

Do the people who are against this plan even LISTEN or READ the plan? Why am I still hearing the scare tactics about cuts to Medicare coverage?

September 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with Pres. Obama said " Time for bickering over!

September 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  32. Bill

We have "death panels" now. Private insurance companies already ration health care when they appove or disapprove requested procedures-some with life or death consequences, and it is in their financial interests to disapprove.

September 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  33. Minou, New York City

Hi all,
    I wish I could have watched the speech tonight. But from what I just saw, he was really strong!

September 9, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  34. Jane - Vt

Good evening all. Great speech by the President. So sad the republicans don't grow up. I'm proud that I live in a state where the congressional delegation has some class.

September 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  35. ericacnn

Evening, everyone. Looking fwd to AC's look at what conditions are really like each day for the Marines he's embedded with in Afghanistan. They sound to be far from ideal, yet I don't think there is much complaining.

September 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  36. Letitia

I only wish that he had given this speech earlier in the process.

September 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Debbie

I was grateful to hear The President clear a few things up and to be direct regarding the rumors floating around this summer. I was shocked at the lack of respect from some Republican Senators. I've watched Presidents address the Congress over the years and I can't remember seeing one side behave so badly. But, The President was strong and forthright and we the people needed to hear from him.

September 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, Hi. You don't sound too well tonight again, and you seem a little bit anxious. It sounds like you had a troubling day.

September 9, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Linda-Portland, OR

i walked out of the room when the arrogant remark was made...who made it and what was said?...

September 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  40. starr, formerly known as vincent

Hello Anderson Et Al in Afganistan, Erica & Team 360.

Hello fellow bloggers.
    I enjoyed the President's speech very much. However, i am still not clear on How we are going to pay for it all.

Ido support health insurance reform!

September 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Linda-Portland, OR

I thought President Obama's speech tonight was excellent...it really helped me to understand much more clearly what the proposed plan entails.

September 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Kishore Reddipeta

Anderson, President Obama delivered an outstanding Health care reform speech that put things in perspective. Also on a side note, It was unfortunate to hear the disrespectful comment made by one of the congressman during the speech.

September 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Letitia

This, in my opinion, was one of the President's best and strongest speeches ever! It was horrifying, however, to hear the disrespect that he continues to face. The outburst by the congressman was shocking at best and down right ignorant at worst; not to mention hurtful.

September 9, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and all. Both Anderson and Sanjay look ill with colds or something. Are they sick?

September 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Hello Anderson!
    How are you? I hope all is well! 🙂

Good evening Erica, 360 team, David (Indiana),friends and bloggers!

September 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, everyone! Hope you've had a good Wednesday so far. Looking forward to the recap of the President's speech as I missed it earlier.

September 9, 2009 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Sarah in FL

God Bless our troops. Be safe , everyone

The coverage has been excellent from Afghanistan this week.

September 9, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Linda-Portland, OR

good evening Anderson, Erica, Team 360 and fellow bloggers

September 9, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Samuel M'boro, TN

Good morning Anderson in Afghanistan, evening Erica in NYC and everyone else. Interesting night to say the least. Looking forward to a good program.

September 9, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Happy Thursday night!!! 🙂
    I like our president Obama's plan for healthcare, AND I like his idea plan....... I agree with president Obama! I love president remark speech tonight.

September 9, 2009 at 10:00 pm |