September 8th, 2009
  1. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Michael
    Thank you for your fairness,you really show us the facts, on both sides of this terrible war.
    Please take care and keep yourself safe.

September 9, 2009 at 8:13 am |
  2. Mary Jo Martinez

My nephew will be on his way to Afghanistan by the end of the month. what are we doing here? Can someone explain this to me?Clearly, their will never be peace in the Middle East. They don't even like eachother! If someone broke into my house and tried to kill me,does it make sense to go track them down,beat them,take residence,and continue to beat there family to try and teach them how to behave toward me ,(next time)? Its starting to look like President Obama got suckered into a job that nobody wanted.

September 8, 2009 at 7:15 pm |
  3. Victoria Alameda

Hi Michael,

The Taliban strong holds are amazingly adjustable and adaptable. They redefine and adjust with faster agility then Our Troops can secure and sustain any area.

Keep your self safe. Great job communicating the challenge that is Afghanistan.

September 8, 2009 at 2:18 pm |
  4. Michael C. McHugh

The minimal goal in Afghanistan should be to prevent it from becoming a base for elements of the Taliban, Al Qaeda or other Islamic fascists from using it as a base or safe haven to attack the West. It should not be to make it into a nice middle class democracy or even a unified nation in the modern sense.

That said, i have never believed that the war could be "won" simply by bombing and shooting the enemy, but only by social, economic and political development on the local and regional level. If we are unable to win that "Other War", we'd better just pack up and go home now, and stop wasting the lives of our men.

And if Obama can't win that Other War, his presidency will suffer for it, as LBJ's did in Vietnam. We all know he has plenty of enemies who want him to fail on both foreign and domestic policy, and will seize on anything he says or does to attack him.

September 8, 2009 at 1:31 pm |
  5. Martina Ilstad Germany

Hey Michael
    Honest i really like the way Anderson Cooper reports ,but you do it in a very special way.Watching your reports make me feeling and smelling the story.You put all your feelings and all you konwledge in a story,shows us the both side of the story.Because jou realize there are always, both side of a story.
    For me you, and Anderson are the truthful journalist.

September 8, 2009 at 1:01 pm |
  6. Cindy

i LOVED this report by Mic. I think it was by far the best report of the night. I like how he always gets so energetic and into his reports and gets embedded into the people and culture. He is great!

Who knew one tiny, little road could be such a hot spot! Hopefully those people traveling it day in and day out will be safe.

Cindy..Ga.