September 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/8/09

Anderson reports from Afghanistan tonight. He takes you along on the most dangerous job for U.S. forces – the search for IEDs.  And, 360 M.D. Sanjay Gupta takes you inside a battlefield hospital. Meet the only cardiovascular surgeon on the frontlines. And, see how Dr. Gupta helped in the OR.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!! That's so scary for me, I can't watch Anderson Cooper walks with our troops very dangerous mission for IED........... I hope Anderson is stay safe on the road.

September 8, 2009 at 10:39 pm |
  2. David, Indiana

Erica, yes, I found Anderson's article on the blog today informative and thoughtful.

Anderson, are the people in Helmand province, where all but one area have been cleared of the Taliban, feeling any relief?

September 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Mark in VA

Everyone should listen to the president when he adddress' the country in any form. It is the right thing to do so individuals can make their on decisions about what they support.

September 8, 2009 at 10:38 pm |
  4. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Anderson, don't these marines have jammers to render IEDs inoperative? I know there are many electronic warfare systems that have been fielded for that purpose.

September 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  5. sarah

Well I plan on having my child write a letter to the president on ideas on how she could help him anyway.....I think its a great idea that I wish could have been included in his speech!

September 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  6. kristal

Good Evening. I am Kristal. I am glad to see that someone is covering this story. My husband is actually currently over there in the Helmand proviance and I believe something could have gone wrong with the elections because of the taliban. but who knows. i just think obama needs to bring the troops out of there and bring my husband back home to me and our kids!

September 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

..he escaped with "just" a concusion. That's some "just."

September 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I am relieved to see that Anderson decided to wear his helmet. I was a little concerned about that yesterday.

September 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Randy, Woodstock

God Speed to our Troops, to Anderson and all those in harms way tonight

September 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  10. ericacnn

AC's piece on the "on point" position is a sobering, stark reality check

September 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  11. Joyce in Ky.

Anderson..how do you get a dinner with you and Erica and Michael and David. You all have such insight to everything. I would just like to sit and listen.

September 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  12. Christine

oooh my! it's Howie!!! He works with my hubby. Our prayers are with you guys 🙂

September 8, 2009 at 10:36 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I can’t wait hear from our president Obama, what will he to say to congress and us for healthcare tomorrow night.

September 8, 2009 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The issue was never the speech per se; it was the lesson plans calling for students to write President Obama with how they could help him. The implication being help him implement his agenda, clearly inappropriate.

September 8, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  15. starr, formerly known as vincent

Like so many others on the blog, i found Michael Ware's report scary. We (family & friends) are so grateful to Anderson Et Al for sending us the important information from Afganistan. I pray that they stay careful and protected!

September 8, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  16. Michele, Douglaston NY

This is really wild and daring dangerous there, and it is worst than in Iraq. I am not that surprise to bring more our troops especially, I imagine foreign troops. What can they do to rebuild a strong leadership and better security against Taiban?

September 8, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

What on the menu? "Bear!"

September 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  18. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Jim Greer obviously didn't endear himself to Anderson's heart. AC's usually so calm, kinda amusing to see when that wears off.

Nice to see part two of the shut-down as well. "Altered the speech due to controversy"? *sigh*

September 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  19. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

Did i hear that correctly? Win a chance to see sarah palin eating???

September 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Sharon Hastings

What is wrong with people when they refuse to allow their children to hear what the President of the United States has to say to them. All this fear and paranoia that people have. Hysteria is a good word for it.

September 8, 2009 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Barbara Callahan

HI Anderson & Dr.Jupay... And the rest of the team...

Every single one of you are so brave...heroes ...I'd say !
    Keep up the good work and be safe !!!......Real safe !
    God speed...
    Barbara

September 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  22. Randy, Woodstock

All the distractions about the speech is just one more thing to take the focus off health cafre. Its a shame in my opion.

September 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The concerns were not really about the speech, it was based on the lesson plan sent out by Arne Duncan. Had the speech been released earlier I think the controversy would have been avoided.

September 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  24. Monica M. Williams

Regarding the President's speech to school children: What are people really afraid of....the President possibly inspiring many to become better thus windening the field of capability – not socialism. This county has sold to much of itself to become socialist.

September 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am glad Michael Ware really safe, too close call! I am enjoy his reporting there......

September 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

So, is the President syaing to all of the conservative extremists they have to stop blaming everyone else for their "issues," and maybe grow-up and accept reality, and be a part of the solution?

September 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  27. sarah

IM soooo mad the school board here wouldnt let my child watch it it wasnt allowed in the schools here thank God for youtube!

September 8, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  28. Jacqueline, NY

Sounds like the parents need educating.

September 8, 2009 at 10:30 pm |
  29. Maria

Anderson and everyone, thank you for being so brave! I also wanted to wish the Afghan people lots of luck! They are REAL people too as are our troops. As a woman who was born and raised in Kabul, I know first hand what life is over there and I have great sympathy for my people . And about the election? Come on it is nothing but a "fixed" election. Be safe AC and all.

September 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  30. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

That is really good advice – a bad grade doesn't make you stupid, and a mistake doesn't make you a failure.. I'm 41 and still trying to internalize this...

September 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Samuel M'boro, TN, It doesn't help that for many Afghans their religious beliefs are tied up in their national ideology.

September 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  32. Jan

My son is with Bravo co 1/5. This has been a blessing to be able to watch Anderson, to see where my son is and understand how he has been living. Thanks for reporting..

September 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  33. Buck

Anderson, thanks for the hard work you are doing.

September 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  34. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Words of encouragement are always welcome.

September 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

I thought it very wise for the President's speech. He speaks of the hardships of school life and how young people must avoid the easy solution of abandoning the studies to make money.

September 8, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  36. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I honestly have to say that I have pretty much tuned-out the whole health care "debate" for at least a month now. The whole dynamic (and facts) change everytime I turn around, so why bother paying attention until we get close to something that can actually make it to the finish line.

September 8, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  37. Kathy Chicago

Don't you think that all of these fees and fines will be passed down to the consumer? I think that they should continue to work on this health care plan.

September 8, 2009 at 10:28 pm |
  38. Jennifer

Thankyou so much for this report my son is there as well in 1/5.

September 8, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

"Gender testing"? I concur with Anderson's dismissive chuckle. Ridiculous.

September 8, 2009 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

What the President said is a speech that all parents give to our children. Let's not think less of our President. Have faith.

September 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  41. Samuel M'boro, TN

Like someone said last night, you can't expect us to go in there and just have them change their way of life and turn their nation around. It just won't happen. Like @JoAnn said, our cultural differences are very vast.

September 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  42. LorenaR

Thank you for the reports from Afghanistan. You (Anderson Cooper) and Michael Ware are doing such a good job. We need to be out of there. Of course, after seeing the film The Hurt Locker, which starts out with the statement, "War is a drug," i have no idea what the function of the military would be,after a war, probably just re=building and defense. But we need to be out of those two countries Iraq and afghanistan; we need to stop being the saviors of the world before we become the destroyers of the world.

September 8, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  43. David, Indiana

That report from Michael Ware is harrowing. Those are narrow confined streets, totally unlit very hard to see. Incredibly dangerous. I said it before, but stay safe you guys.

Michael Ware's pt about Afghanistan being in limbo during the election challenge shows the urgency of the situation in that country. With an elected govt in place, there'd be stronger leadership in security and dealing with the Taliban.

September 8, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ sarah

I also like to know, if it isn't confidential, if Anderson was just going to be staying at Jaker Patrol on the whole time.

September 8, 2009 at 10:25 pm |
  45. Kelly - Harrisburg, PA

Greetings from Pittsburgh tonight – Glad that Michael Ware and crew are safe.. please all be safe.

How many troops do we still have in Iraq? Could Afganistan become Obama's Iraq?

September 8, 2009 at 10:24 pm |
  46. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

Wow what a makeover, but when will we know the results if she is really a "he"

September 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm |
  47. Kim

What do they need ? Do we have enough troops and support ? From what we're seeing it looks like positive changes have begun. Intense coverage and God Bless America !

September 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  48. dorothy

@Casey Jones-Palm Springs – I am feeling exactly like you do.

September 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Linda

God Bless you all...my son is there in 1/5. It is great to see where he is and what he is facing.

September 8, 2009 at 10:21 pm |
  50. James Hussher

Afghan election fraud? Well, the U.S. had that in 2000 when Bush stole the election from Gore. After that our finger-pointing credibility has suffered a bit.

September 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |