September 8th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 9/8/09

Anderson reports from Afghanistan tonight. He takes you along on the most dangerous job for U.S. forces – the search for IEDs.  And, 360 M.D. Sanjay Gupta takes you inside a battlefield hospital. Meet the only cardiovascular surgeon on the frontlines. And, see how Dr. Gupta helped in the OR.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Mike I'm going to go out on a limb and say the general population is "fickle." It was in Iraq and it is here in the U.S. as well. The "general population" of the planet can be led around like sheep.

September 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  2. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Casey Jones – Palm Springs, CA, Unfortunately, I think you might be right. I don't think the West truly understands or is able to appreciate the enormous cultural differences between the Islamic countries and the West. I think that is a major problem.

I am afraid that at this point all they can hope for is a stalemate. It is almost impossible to change ingrained ideology.

September 8, 2009 at 10:20 pm |
  3. Lori

Afghanistan appears disturbingly chaotic.

September 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  4. Sandra Robertson, GA

Good morning Anderson. Frightening video from the Kandahar front and close call for Michael Ware. I pray you all remain safe. My thoughts and prayers are with the four Marines' families who have lost loved ones on this day.

September 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  5. Katie

Sarah, I'm hoping that he travels to the different companies of 1/5, but it might be to dangerous. I would love to see the living conditions of the different soilders. And, being selfish, I'd love to be able to see my boyfriend in the background:)

September 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  6. Kathy Chicago

Michael Ware has a great way of analyzing wars and explaining them to us.

September 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  7. Taunya Gusti

Hi Erica,

Wow what amazing reporting from these guys over in Afghanistan. Thanks for your dedication guys!

Be safe over there..Anderson, Michael, Peter, and Sanjay (and all the crew.)

It's crazy to see what our troops go through on a daily basis. What brave men and women.

Taunya – Middletown, PA

September 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm |
  8. Carole, Lake Lure, N.C.

Hey Anderson, you are brave and be of good courage, as the Lord God is with you everywhere you go. Our little church prays for our military every day. You are there to help others, that's our mission on earth.

September 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  9. James

i just heard anderson discussing the inability of the comd in Kabul unable to reach his commanders in a timely manner due to pissible drinking.

Comment by Anderson Not verbatum) – US forces deployed on operational missions not allowed to drink. don't understand why other NATO nations are permitted to drink while US forces not allowed to drink. ""Most other NATO countries apparently are allowed to drink at will". i thought journalist were suppose to check their facts, and the use of tyhe word apparently does not provide an excuse for inaccurate reporting. As an Ex Canadians are permitted 2 beer per day, with restrictions as to duty when and where. ohter restrictions due apply to other NATO nations in Afg. try getting your facts before you speak.

September 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  10. jordan

my husband is with 1/5. thanks for showing me where he is and what they are doing. it helps bring us closer together! be safe boys and come home soon.

September 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  11. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

But i thought Obama was going to bring back soliders, not bring back even soliders to the middle east!

Michael Ware sure is rockin' that Afgan outfit. I forget the name of it though :/

September 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  12. Jane - Vt

Good evening everyone.

Good reporting as usual from Anderson and crew.

September 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  13. John Troll, Compton, CA

AC,

CNN is the best source for news around the world, because of pretty cool dudes like you and doc Gupta.

Now the question:

We're there to protect the Afghans from whom? Don't you think most Afghans already view our presence as occupation after 8 years? Don't you think this will only help the Taliban minorities to gain influence against the invaders?

September 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  14. larry

Thanks for the reports from the Kandahar.It a back there again.please dont hold back we need the true.

September 8, 2009 at 10:17 pm |
  15. Frank

Anderson,

Please give 1/5 a big ooorah for me.

Thanks bro,

September 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  16. Michelle

God bless Michael Ware. That was too close for comfort.
    This is a real dangerous place to be.

September 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  17. Jesseca

Thank you Anderson and all your crew for the great coverage. My husband is there with near Kandahar. He can't say alot so this has helped so much to give me clarity to the situation there.

Thank you for putting your safety on the line to bring us the news.

I hope you all stay safe; you and all our soldiers over there are in my prayers!

September 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! May the staff too be safe in Afghanistan.

September 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  19. starr, formerly known as vincent

Michael Ware – that video is exactly why i worry about you, Anderson, Sanjay & Peter B.Video and report really, really scary. God bless the soldiers who go out every night.

@ Annie, Bejing China, glad to see you on the blog, sad that you have to use "stealth" to see AC360 and to speak to us. God bless your courage.

September 8, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  20. Mike, Syracuse, NY

The question is who does the general Afghan populace support. If it's the Taliban, there is no real hope of victory.

September 8, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  21. sarah

Is Andersoon going to be going to the different patrol bases in the Helmand province where the different companies of 1/5 are? or is he just going to be staying at Patrol base Jaker the whole time?
    thanks

September 8, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  22. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! Your reports from Afghanistan are fascinating. You all have a lot of courage being there. Stay safe!

September 8, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  23. CURTIS

It takes a truly unique person to put themselves in harms way to get the story. That's passion. Many thanks to Michael Ware and his relentless pursuit.

September 8, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  24. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

A boy so young to be in this war! This is sad!

September 8, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  25. Katie

I'm so grateful that AC is bringing light to the real dangers that our soilder's face everyday. Very scary IED! I can't even imagine. Stay safe my love Cpl Gray 1/5 and to the rest of the soilders as well... strong and safe.

September 8, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  26. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

I look forward to a career in journalism, but I don't think you'll ever find me doing what Michael Ware does. Insanely brave, or just insane? 🙂

Either way, great work, Michael!

September 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  27. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Erica, Isabel, everyone. It will be tragic if drinking had any bearing on that air strike on the two fuel tankers. Are NATO forces on their 2nd or 3rd and more deployments like US forces?

Anderson your discussion with Candy Crowley and Peter Bergen is getting at the political stress and what's at stake

I am very glad Michael Ware is all right, I hope the people who were with him are also well.

September 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The only problem is that as soon as the military makes progress by building something like Highway No.1 the Taliban is able to use it to their advantage.

September 8, 2009 at 10:12 pm |
  29. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I’m delighted CNN is covering Afghanistan. There is no way we would know or understand unless CNN was putting a face on this. Thanks.

September 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  30. Anthonia-(Bay Area)California

Good Evenin' Everyone!

@Erica Hill-That was some great commentary by Anderson! very good details about whats going on at Afghanistan. i can't wait to hear more!

September 8, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  31. Sarah Perry

My Husband is a Marine traveling with Anderson Cooper. Thank you for reporting on them, and letting us know what's going on!

September 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  32. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Jo Ann, I really wonder what it will take to completely stop the insurgency. I can't help but think these "wars" are reruns of Vietnam everytime we get into another one.

September 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  33. Lori

Hi Anderson and CNN! Thank you for your coverage of Afganistan. Seeing the photos and video and hearing the details has helped me understand America's role there.

September 8, 2009 at 10:09 pm |
  34. Sharon Hastings

Good to see Candy discussing this war. Count me in the list of Democrats who are "war weary" and not very supportive of this war. Just too many lives lost and maybe we can't see the direct benefit of this???

September 8, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  35. Samuel M'boro, TN

Good evening everyone, Erica, Anderson and crew in Afghanistan. Looking forward to the report from Michael Ware, glad to see him and the troops are okay though.

September 8, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  36. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Nice pictures! I really love photography!

September 8, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  37. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Love Candy Crowley's analysis. She's got a keen intellect and seems to easily navigate complex political issues and interrelationships. Why doesn't she have a show yet???

September 8, 2009 at 10:08 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It is difficult to believe that they will be able to keep the Taliban and other insurgents out forever. These groups have proven that they have great patience and will be ready to jump back in as soon as the military leaves no matter how long it takes.

September 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Chris Sosa – Boston, MA & Minou, New York City...
    Yes! I agree with you, guys......That will not acceptable to drink alcohol anywhere or on the road!

September 8, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  40. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

The soldiers, as well as any person working or representing your country should have a full position.

September 8, 2009 at 10:06 pm |
  41. ericacnn

hi, everyone. some great commentary from AC and co. in afghanistan on the blog

September 8, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  42. Lisa L

Good evening Anderson,

I hope there is a peaceful resolution, please come back safely soon.

Brightest blessings

Sincerely,

Lisa L
    Sydney, Australia

September 8, 2009 at 10:05 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Good morning Anderson, You sound a little stuffy today.

Drunken soldiers, rigged elections, things don't sound very good over there.

September 8, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  44. starr, santa fe

Hello Anderson, Peter B., Michael W. & Sanjay in Afganistan! Hello Erica and Team 360.

Hi fellow bloggers.

I think our troops are over-taxed. However, Gen. McCrystal;s actions will hopefully help get the situation to improve.

The news of the troop loss is sad tonight.

September 8, 2009 at 10:04 pm |
  45. Minou, New York City

hi all
    Alcohol in a war zone? not smart!

September 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  46. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Good evening, everyone! Hope you're all having a great Tuesday so far.

And the commander couldn't get in touch with his forces because they were drunk/hungover? What an embarrassment. Sad he even had to ban grown adults from drinking.

September 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  47. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and all and be careful in Afghanistan.

September 8, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  48. Annie, Beijing, China

Morning Anderson in Afghanistan and evening Erica & team 360 in NY.

Ah…it's so hard to watch AC360 in our country…I must find various ways to get around internet blocking…and because of different time zones, it's now time to work, I have to watch this show by stealth…but I must watch AC360 this week at all costs~

Anyway, I've enjoyed your coverage in Afghanistan yesterday. What a dangerous and difficult job! You're very admirable! But, please be careful, everyone!!

September 8, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

Good morning Anderson!
    I hope all is well in Afghanistan.

Hello Erica, David (Indiana), 360º team, friends and bloggers!

September 8, 2009 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Erica, Ed Henry, David Gergen and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    Happy Tuesday night!!!!!
    This is breaking news, We have breaking news out of Afghanistan where Anderson is reporting live tonight for us.

September 8, 2009 at 10:00 pm |