September 8th, 2009

Gallery: Photos from the front line in Afghanistan

August was the deadliest month for U.S. forces in Afghanistan since the beginning of the war in 2001. Roadside bombs are now the biggest threat to U.S. forces in the region. Anderson reports from the front lines of the war against the Taliban and goes out on patrol with Marines in Helmand Province.

Take a look at this photo gallery.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Afghanistan • Anderson Cooper
  1. Rou-Jhen Su

Hope peace of the world ! !

Hopefully the hate subsides and the LOVE can begin ! ! !

Come home safe Andy and the TV crews !!!!
    God bless all the soldiers !!!!!

I am proud of what all of you are doing !!!!

September 8, 2009 at 11:49 pm |
  2. Liz (Proud 1/5 Wife)

Anderson Cooper,

First I'd like to take the time to thank you for your coverage and photos of the Marines and what is going on over there. Brings some realization to what is really going on over there. Again thank you!!! I watch every night and look at the pictures in hopes to see my husband or even someone I know.

Stay safe and let our guys know we miss them and can't wait to have them all home!!!!

Semper Fi,
    One proud Marine wife

September 8, 2009 at 11:46 pm |
  3. Janet

What an insight. You have always shown your fans,with amazing bravery, a reality that is so real.

Cheers to your camera crew. What a support team.

September 8, 2009 at 11:36 pm |
  4. Dusty (1/5 Wife)

Anderson thank you so much for all the pictures and the reports. My husband is in 1/5 and is currently with the guys that you are with. It would be wonderful if you can get a picture of him so our son and I could see his face. Its nice to hear what is going on over there from someone who isn't just criticizing what those men are doing. They are all great men I know many of them and I can't wait to have them home safely. So if you can get a picture of LCpl Shipp and tell him his wife and his son miss him and love him I'll put you on my Christmas list. =) Again thank you and keep up the good work and stay safe over there.

September 8, 2009 at 11:34 pm |
  5. Denise Kiel

My son is with the 1/5 and I found out on 8/27 that his 7 ton hit an IED. Thank God no one was killed. Thank you for letting people see what it is really like over there and what our troops must endure daily. There isn't a minute that goes by that I don't think of him. He is only 21 and this is his second tour.

Thank you for what you and your crew are doing and I wish you all a safe journey.

September 8, 2009 at 11:25 pm |
  6. Jennifer

Thank you so much for your coverage of the Afghanistan war. It is so good to see that the Marines and their sacrifices are not forgotten. My husband is with 1/5 at Patrol Base Jaker. It really helps to see the footage, makes me feel a little closer to him because I can see where he is at. God bless you and keep you and the Marines safe!

September 8, 2009 at 11:18 pm |
  7. Sharon Pearson

President Obama's goal in Afghanistan is not what you said it was. It is not to seek out the Taliban and destroy them, it is to protect the civilians in Afghanistan. To do that, President Obama's troops will scout out areas based on civilian information and act accordingly. If a priority is to protect civilians isn't this rational. Please include this perspective as you report and see if you don't understand, in a different, way, what our military is doing. I wish I could refer to the documentary I viewwed and quote the words of the General in charge, but I can't. But, through his eyes, I see it this way. Sharon

September 8, 2009 at 11:17 pm |
  8. kim clark

I only see 9 pictures in the photo gallery. Will you be adding more. It says on the newscast there may be more.

September 8, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello Anderson.....
    Thanks for coverage live in Afghanistian..... I hope you will stay safe on the road with our troops....... Please be careful. God bless our troops to save each other as troops. I am really so hard pray for you, and come home safe this weekend.

September 8, 2009 at 11:10 pm |
  10. Shannon

Hi all, I was just wondering when the still images from tonight's show will be posted. My husband is with the 1/5 and I think I saw one of the guys in his squad in one of the pictures. I'm hoping he might be in the pic as well, or at least send the pic to his squad mates family. I know you all are busy and doing a great job, I was just curious.

Thanks,
    Shannon

September 8, 2009 at 11:05 pm |
  11. Don Smith

Mr.AC the work you do and the reporting is the best in the 21th century keep up the great work and stay safe." Semper Fi,"

September 8, 2009 at 11:03 pm |
  12. SLS

Thanks AC! I just saw a picture of my grandson in the 9/8 report. of 1 / 5. I appreciate all that our military men and women are doing there and Americans can be proud of them. However, my mind and my heart says we need to bring them ALL home the sooner the better.

Semper Fi!!

September 8, 2009 at 11:02 pm |
  13. Regina Serra

Hi,Anderson,
    We have been following you this week as you are with my sons unit at Jaker. He is with 1stBn/5thMarines! His name is LCPL David Serra .
    We hope to see him this week on television. Please try to capture film of all the marines in his unit as we are all tuning in. We are so proud of our son and I hope you get to meet him. He is amazing !!!!!
    Be safe. Tell David we love and miss him.
    Thank you! Regina Serra

September 8, 2009 at 10:59 pm |
  14. buddy love

my son is in motor t1-5 -i do not hear from hm like i want to- i miss him and want hin home. i watch cnn everynight hoping to se him i love him and respect him for what he is doing im proud of him my god be with him and his company be safe allen i love you-dad

September 8, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Linda S. Florida

Thank you AC and all of our other reporters and photographers for bringing us some visual reality to what we hear from our loved ones, soldiers as well as civilian contractors...

September 8, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  16. David from greenville tx

Thank you for sharing the work of Mr. Hetherington. The two of you work together well. Once again thank you Anderson for actively going to the region of the news and bringing us accurate reports and stimulating photojournalism. God Bless

September 8, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Kim

Intense coverage and God Bless America ! When is this war over and everybody goes home ? Prayers to the troops and thanks,we can sleep and be safe because you're there.Tuck and duck Mr. Cooper !

September 8, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  18. Norman

Why are they making such a big issue out of everything the President says or does. The country was in bad shape when he took office. He has been trying to help the people even before he took office. Former President Bush put the country in bad shape by sending troops to Iraq and Afghanistan. Spending all that money put us in a very deep hole. Why don't you put the blame where it belongs. Some time your news people call the President by his name instead of by his title, isn't that a sign of disrepect.

September 8, 2009 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Michelle Fischer- Lafayette IN

Anderson,

Just seeing you in that photo where Michael Ware said there was roadside bombs, scares me for you! But, I know it is your passion as a journalist to be "in the story" and give people a voice and show fans and viewers, another view, then just the view out their window.

That's why I admire you as a journalist so much!

Please, just, be safe and come home in one piece!!

360 Fan,
    Michelle (o:

September 8, 2009 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Lula

Anderson,
    I'm glad you're back again to the Anderon Cooper we know, always covering stories no one else covers and being at places no one would want to be. Now these are stories worth the time to watch.
    Please be very careful, your life comes before news

Lula

September 8, 2009 at 10:33 pm |
  21. Lilli Ozenne

Thanks for letting us get an insight into the real battle at Afghanistan. My son is with 1st Battalion 5th Marine and there are so many that are not aware of the sacrifices our troops are making. The extreme heat, and the danger that they face daily. Please let them know we are all praying for their safety and appreciate what they are doing.
    Thank you for all pictures and we wish you a safe return home.

September 8, 2009 at 10:29 pm |
  22. Norman

I believe that you show to much of what the forces are doing because everyone watching CNN even the enemy, you are them just exactly what all the forces are doing.

September 8, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  23. Laurette

Hi Anderson please would wear a bouletprouf helmet thank from laurette.

September 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm |
  24. LLL

Thank you AC!!! God bless you and all the soldiers and their families!!

September 8, 2009 at 9:44 pm |
  25. Jami Peurala

Here in Chicago on the local news last night the lead story was all about Oprah taking over Michigan Ave.! Lots of locals interviewed and not one person said anything about more important and real news!

Thank you for your reporting and these images of what's going on.

September 8, 2009 at 9:35 pm |
  26. Leslie Berenger

Thanks for the pictures. You and the TV crew be safe.

September 8, 2009 at 9:25 pm |
  27. jocelyn

anderson can find more interseting news in battlefield accompany by marine..take care

September 8, 2009 at 9:11 pm |
  28. SandraWI

These photos are amazing. Thank you for sharing them Anderson.

September 8, 2009 at 8:54 pm |
  29. Patricia

God Bless you for what you do Anderson, you and the TV crews

September 8, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  30. Spartan

Anderson Cooper: The only man that can go into the heart of hell and STILL keep his hair looking good.

September 8, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  31. Amita , Ca

stay safe! Anderson

September 8, 2009 at 7:34 pm |
  32. Janis Lemon

Thanks alot to all of our brave men & women. And thanks to you Anderson so covering them so bravely. I love this Country, I love my Freedom and I thank all of you who are doing such a great job so I can say what I feel without being afraid to do so, God Bless America!!
    Stay safe AC, you are in good hands. Oh and you are as handsome as ever.

September 8, 2009 at 7:31 pm |
  33. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Don't step on any IED's.

Come home safe.

September 8, 2009 at 7:28 pm |
  34. Wendy Wand

Be safe everyone.

September 8, 2009 at 7:24 pm |
  35. Annie Kate

Great pictures. Thanks for posting them. I always like seeing pictures from the report area. My nephew is over there somewhere (his wife had his baby this morning – a girl) and I always study the pictures really well to see if I see him. So far I don't though but I still like seeing the pictures. Thanks for reporting from there and great work!!

September 8, 2009 at 7:20 pm |
  36. Dianna

Hello Anderson Cooper, You are doing a great job keeping America informed on the latest information in Afghanistan. I pray you stay safe along with the rest of the Soldiers. Hurry Back!! to the CNN DIanna from Atlanta, Ga.

September 8, 2009 at 7:10 pm |
  37. olga

Anderson you rock! thetruly truly the smartest and coolest

September 8, 2009 at 7:04 pm |
  38. Katja

Our troops don't get enough recognition for what they do. Thanks for giving us some insight. My brother is in the Air Force, and gets sent that way regularly, and we worry constantly. But he is doing what he believes in, the freedom of our nation and our right to live how we choose.

September 8, 2009 at 7:01 pm |
  39. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

It's great to see you in field. You're at your best and in your element when in the field.

Be careful, ok?

September 8, 2009 at 6:50 pm |
  40. Angela

Thank's for always bring to us the real thing from everywhere, thank you for you profesionalism and for take a personal risk to do so. God
    Bless our Armed Forces, I pray every day for their safety comback homes. God Bless. Angie.

September 8, 2009 at 6:33 pm |
  41. Evelyn Williams

🙂 Thank you AC, for doing what you do; God Bless you and Keep you Safe always............!!!

September 8, 2009 at 6:31 pm |
  42. Lisa, SC

Connie,

I agree with you that we should give more coverage to the war. It amazes me when I talk about my son being in Afghanistan and people tell me, "don't worry, he will be fine, it's not that bad over there." Are they really that unaware of the situation or because it doesn't directly concern them. I wake up everyday with a sick feeling in my stomach and pray that our soldiers with be kept safe today. I feel guilty when I lay down in bed at night, when I have a nice shower or when I have a home cooked meal because I know that my son isn't able to have these luxuries while in Afghanistan.

Thanks Anderson and crew for showing everyone what the situation for our soldiers is really like. Take care

September 8, 2009 at 6:24 pm |
  43. Abby

Nice images but not impressive this is your job and you have to do, like to see you walking on the streets freely this will show the improvement America is bringing in Afghanistan. I don't know how many sons will die to full fill the great American dream. Please provide us the count on deaths civilian and non civilian in this war. From 2001 to 2009 what has achieved and what is really needed to achieve is the question.

September 8, 2009 at 6:23 pm |
  44. tonya3960

stay safe

September 8, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  45. Diana Worth

Be careful! My nephew will be there next month and my niece the following month. Stay safe!

September 8, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  46. Ashley

An amazing young man, 2nd Lt. Joseph Fortin, was killed in Iraq by a roadside bomb a few weeks ago. He was working hard and selflessly to not only defend his country but to help Iraq rebuild theirs and they killed him, blew him up with a roadside bomb, He was 22 year old, and so is his widow. We need to bring our troops home, the Iraqis and the Afghanis will continue to kill our men until we let them be. Let them fix themselves. Bring our troops home.

September 8, 2009 at 6:18 pm |
  47. Em

Fantastic images as usual Tim! Keep up the great work AC and crew. Military blogs are following and reporting is much appreciated. Realized myself that when husband was in Vietnam I was glued to the TV nightly-poor families now would have trouble finding any station covering the story. Thanks for being there!

September 8, 2009 at 5:50 pm |
  48. Mike - Indianapolis

Anderson,

Good to see you in the field again. Looking forward to your reports and perspectives. Keep it real, man.

September 8, 2009 at 5:33 pm |
  49. Connie Endries

I am a mother of a marine in the 1-5. I am constantly searching for reports on what is really going on there. I last saw my son on Mothers Day. I worry constantly.
    Thank you for taking the risk of reporting from there. I believe that this war should be in the headlines more then health care and Michael Jackson. I know this war started eight years ago, but for alot of us it started when our sons were sent there in June. Take Care,

Connie Endries

September 8, 2009 at 5:17 pm |
  50. Lilibeth

Thanks for these pictures. We appreciate our armed forces for all the work they do, and we appreciate Anderson and crew for updates on that region. We pray for your safety and swfit return.

Lilibeth