September 7th, 2009

Evening Buzz: Live from the Battle Zone

Afghan children stand in front of a billboard of President Hamid Karzai in Kabul on Sunday.

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight Anderson reports live from Afghanistan, along with CNN's Sanjay Gupta, Michael Ware and Peter Bergen. This is a critical time for Afghanistan. It's home to a war that many Americans say they no longer support. But Pres. Obama says U.S. forces must fight and win.

We'll bring you up to date on the war front. Some success stories. Some troubling areas.

There's also the battle over Afghanistan's presidential election. We have breaking developments in the disputed vote count. U.S. officials are taking action. We'll have the details. Here's the back story: Over the weekend, Afghanistan's Independent Election Commission said it was tossing ballots from 447 polling stations. The exact number is unclear. Though, there are reports as many as tens of thousands of ballots won't be counted. President Hamid Karzai is seeking a second term. But his challenger, Abdullah Abdullah, Karzai's former foreign minister, claims "state-engineered fraud" in last month's election.

There's more from the war on terror front.

Three British men were convicted on charges they tried to blow up airliners bound for the U.S. and Canada with liquid explosives. The plan, uncovered three years ago, led to those strict limits on the amount of liquids you can take through airport security.

On Cape Cod, swimming is banned on some beaches. We'll tell you why.

And, on a lighter note, a dog with some pool tricks. Not in water. We're talking about billiards. Don't miss tonight's shot.

See you at 10pm ET.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Proud Aunt

My nephew is also with the 1/5 – Geronimo Co. – LCpl Ryan Davis – stay safe and come home to us. We are proud of all of you.

September 8, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  2. Rick . Indiana

Obama says we must win. Well for starters how about someone in our Government grow a brain.

September 8, 2009 at 1:53 am |
  3. Mrs Rothwell

MY husabnd is with the 1/5 B CO. and baby keep up the good work I miss you everyday and love you so much I'm so proud of you!!!!! Stay safe keep up the stories!!!

September 8, 2009 at 1:39 am |
  4. Jerry

Great job Anderson/ Gupta/Michael ware
    Looking at these medics doing their job I could not help
    thinking how much better would be if these hospitals were runned by private insurance instead of our goverment !

September 8, 2009 at 12:13 am |
  5. Rebecca

My hubby is there where AC is. I'm so proud of him! I'm stuck to this coverage all week hoping I may catch a glimpse of him!!!!

September 7, 2009 at 11:53 pm |
  6. Nancy Nolan

Very much appreciate your coverage on the war in Afganistan – It is a very important story – with far reaching consequences. Please remember that we appreciate the sacrifices the US has made, but there are still other countries involved. Canada has sacrificed 129 soldiers so far in the war, two more having given their lives days ago to a faceless enemy, laying bombs on the roads and running away. Please let all the troops serving in Afganistan know they are loved and appreciated all over the world. Keep up the good work!!

September 7, 2009 at 11:48 pm |
  7. Faith-Jacksonville

We love and Miss you cuz...LCpl Trosclair...Come back to Jax safe! Faith,Curtis,Kendall,Collin,Mimi,Aunt Moonay,Uncle Jim,Aunt Cherri.

September 7, 2009 at 11:44 pm |
  8. Gale Andrews

Stay safe out there Cooper! Love your show! I sent an email, about the whereabouts, my son is at in Afghanistan..50 miles from Kabul. Please go and hug him for me!! He is a door gunner in the Army. He has another wedding anniversary that is missed yet again..lol.on Sept. 15th. Please help him stay out of the dog house! No, just kidding! She is the best Army wife you can ever ask for!

Thanks Cooper, be safe with the crew! Gale

September 7, 2009 at 11:26 pm |
  9. Dennis in Chicago

Anderson, great to see you in Afghanistan. I was in Hanoi, Vietnam last December. The situation in Afghanistan has an erie resemblance to Vietnam. With the current corruption in the election, it look like the Karzai government is a U.S. puppet without broad support among the people. From 1946 until 1975 the people of Vietnam fought a nationalist campaign to overthrow foreign invaders: the French and the Americans. The U.S. supported a puppet government in South Vietnam, which did not have support among the people of Vietnam. Could it be that the Afghans are also fighting a nationalist campaign to overthrow foreign invaders: the Soviets and the Americans? Your reporting from Afghanistan has a massive gap: you never give us the voices of the full range of Afghan opinion; you never give us the voice of the Taliban. Do they see themselves as waging a nationalist struggle to repel foreign invaders? Do they have broad support among the population? We Americans need to know the full story and not just a media captive to American propaganda. Dennis in Chicago

September 7, 2009 at 11:23 pm |
  10. karen, KS

Thank you for doing these reports. The 1/5 families have had very little contact with our boys. We are all anxious to see how life is and how they are getting along. Please balance the politics with the humanness of our troops. It was rather RAW to have the first night show such trauma. We families never forget that possibility. Young wives and families also want to hear the good, the creativity and survival skills of our young men. WE SEARCH DESPERATELY for our sons, husbands, brothers and friends. Again THANK YOU for being there! May God continue to breathe His cool breath and send His guardian angels for our "sons'. a 1/5 Mom....

September 7, 2009 at 11:22 pm |
  11. Su from Fort Lee, NJ

Great reporting from Afghanistan, esp. the trauma ER coverage!
    Waste makes me so mad, esp. human lives and resources. As Peter Bergen said, the US is there helping to build the nation of Afghanistan and fighting the Taliban has become separate from Al Qaeda. Why are we still fighting this never-ending war and continuing the waste? Are we to fight Pakistan next? Can't BO use the military budget to fight this war towards our own nation's building so desperately needed now?

p.s.-sounds & looks like AC is catching a cold. I recommend honey with lemon cold tea 🙂

September 7, 2009 at 11:15 pm |
  12. steven maloney

my sons based out of camp dwyer clb-8 thanks for reminding america that theres still a war going on!theres alot of familys living with it daily ! keep up the great job MARINES

September 7, 2009 at 11:04 pm |
  13. Brad Cooley

I will be glued to your coverage as well for my son...LCpl Cooley at FOB Geronimo..OORAH !!!

September 7, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Karen Hutson

My son is also there, he is with the 1/5 also. He is motor T. I hope they are all safe and I will be recording and watching all week. Be careful.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the 1/5. semper fi

September 7, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Wendy Moore

My son is with the 1/5 A Co Anderson...... I'll definitely be watching your reports...

September 7, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  16. shonda

I am interested in Afghanistan because my son is there fighting.

September 7, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  17. Pammie

my son is in southen afghanistan with the 1/5, Cpl D.S. Tooker stay safe – all of you

September 7, 2009 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Scott Stodden

Oh please Anderson you can't tell me there isn't voter fraud in Afghanistan. I do believe we should be fighting this war in Afghanistan because we should have went there in the first place, I just hope its not to late now that were there. I believe in order for the United States to be successful in Afghanistan they need to increase troop levels immediatly other wise there will be no success.

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

September 7, 2009 at 10:18 pm |
  19. cody

im really looking forward to what will be said tonight! hopefully it'll be straight forward reporting about the war, and not about the politics that go with it.

September 7, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Aunt d from Texas

My nephew is fighting in Afghanistan so I am very interested in the serious stories...no dish to the dog.

September 7, 2009 at 10:03 pm |
  21. James Thrift

I am definitey looking forward to any updates on the election in Afghanistan. Honestly tonight having "dog" and "billiards" in the same sentence has me hooked. Looking forward to the lighter side of news today. Thanks for having the whole package!

James,FL

September 7, 2009 at 9:59 pm |
  22. JaxsLady

War in Afghanistan has been almost a way of life. They suffered for years under British & then Russian occupations. Now, trying to keep the Taliban at bay appears to be a fulltime operation. We have lost young Canadian soldiers as they have fought the Taliban and sometimes the villagers, I suspect.
    I can understand the debate that is currently occuring with respect to the Afghanistan occupation. But, the honest afghanistaners, who want change and who have been promised that change by us and the US and other countries, deserve to see that promise upheld. Looking forward to see this follow-up from the Afghanistan reporting of Cooper Anderson, who always does such a fabulous job. Take care of yourself while on "the job". Same applies to Dr. Gupta and the rest of the team.

Manotick, Ontario, Ca.

September 7, 2009 at 9:53 pm |
  23. Annie Kate

Does anyone know how to hold an election anymore? Seems like everytime you turn around someone has an election and throws out votes or loses them or invalidates them for some strange reason known only to them. And we wonder why they keep fighting.

The dog and billiards sounds pretty cool – I know I should be more interested in the serious stories but I'm looking forward to this one!!

September 7, 2009 at 9:42 pm |
  24. Lori

Looking forward to seeing AC!

September 7, 2009 at 9:39 pm |
  25. Cindy

Looking forward to the Afghanistan reporting! It's been WAY too long since Cooper has been there!! Hopefully we'll get some great reports. Really looking forward to Mic's stuff out on his own. He's the best!!

Cindy..Ga.