September 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/04/09

We have breaking developments in the mass killing in Georgia. One man is accused of killing eight people. He's also the one who called 911 pleading for help.  Plus, presidential lesson or pure propaganda? More uproar over Pres. Obama's speech to school children next week.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Bruce

Help me Americans...
    why is it wrong for a duly elected president to ask for help in making those things he promised come to fruition? Isn't that what the election – and the democratic institution – is all about?

September 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  2. starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Peter Bergen for saying that the Afgan War maystill be winable. I beleive with the correct stategy that been already put out there we can win. If we don't Afganistand & Pakistan will cause such global trouble the rest of the glove will Never be safe.

Also, me, my family & friends will be praying for Anderson, Dr. Gupta, Peter B, U Mike W's safety and protection, even as we look forward to the excellent reporting they will give us.

September 4, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Was just discussing how I don't get in oceans. Sharks scare me.

September 4, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  4. Dulcie - Denver

Thanks, David G. for your take on the President's school speach. I really fear that this vocal minority is getting far too big a bully bat. The President can't take a step without one of these Wingnut right-wingers jumps all over him. This is incredibly sad today. It's an incredible amount of hate going on and all it does is to shut down the dialog altogether.

September 4, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  5. ericacnn

@Casey Jones – those who support more donations say there would be stringent medical checks - both physical and mental – before ok'ing a donor

September 4, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo David Gergen,
    I agree with you and your comment!!!! I think you're exactly right!!! Nice see you also.

September 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  7. Anthonia-California

@Mike- I agree! there should be any problem selling a certain body part to someone who needs it. Its America for crying outloud! its suppose to be the land of the free, people should make their own choices..

September 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Dodie - California

@ David Gergen

You go! Keep it up! I completely agree!

September 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@David Gergen, I agree that the teaching materials were an amateur mistake. However it's not a single event, it's the pattern that's troubling. I was never worried about our country even during the economic free fall. I'm very worried about the irreversible damage that the President's spending will cause. While I often disagreed with Clinton, I knew we would ultimately survive. I don't know that under this President.

September 4, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  10. gail

I jst want to know that if the Republicans are so sure that the Government can't run anything, why are they so afraid of the public option? They at the same time argue that it will be so good it will kill private insurance and in the same breath so bad that it won't run efficiently. It can't be both. Another case of irrationality.

September 4, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Caroline, Los Angeles

@David--Yes. And now I'm wondering if an honest to God teacher wrote that lesson plan or if some aide in the WH wrote it.

Sigh....but teaching is so easy and anyone can do it, right? So they just handed the job off to anyone? That shows such respect for the profession. Geez.....

September 4, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  12. Dodie - California

The black market organ donations could be really ugly, if there is no accepted compensated organ donations.

September 4, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Devna AC360!
    Nice see you again....... I agree with you, it is very danger to sell organ donors to someone to pay! YIKES!

September 4, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Molly

I am so glad I logged on to AC360. My faith in the majority of the American people has been renewed. I had been listening to the stupid minority regarding their concerns about the President's speech when I finally realized that the media only covers controversial matter and that is truly sad because judging by the comments coming in, the vast majority are FOR his speech. He's our President for at least the next 3 years, GET OVER IT!!!

September 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  15. Jacqueline, NY

Voluntary organ donation in America needs to stay illegal. The world has gone mad. So little value is placed on life and the one and only body that God has given us to care for and honor as His temple.

September 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  16. starr, formerly known as vincent

I cannot thank AC360 for reporting on this underground organ buying out into the light.Special thanks to Drew for his reporting.
    This has been going on for some time, with precious little said about it.
    One of my concerns is that some people, as they age, may have their own health diminished by a donation. The screening of donors is very important.
    I am a donor on my drivers license and support organ donation avidly.
    If proper medical screening and proper surgeons are involved with donations, i have no problem with reasonable compensation for that donation. But this underground movement, taking advantage of the poor and uneducated is down right wrong!

September 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Caroline, Los Angeles

Yes. Once you give away a kidney it cannot be replaced. You can make more eggs and more blood.

September 4, 2009 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Casey Jones, I think we need to encourage more competition in heath care. Let Canadian drug companies sell in the US. Limit malpractice awards. I agree that automating medical records is a good thing as it saves time (hence money) and prevents errors.

September 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  19. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Under this kind of "donation," how does anybody know if they are getting an organ from an appropriate (undiseased ie) donor?

September 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Suzi

First of all let me say that I voted for President Obama and was excited when he was elected. With that said, I understand the concern parents have with President Obama's speech that will be played in the schools and I don't think it has anything to do with race. If the President's message is going to basically be about staying in school and anti-drug, then I don't think it is a problem. The problem comes in if the President begins to talk politics tries to gain support for his policies because there needs to be a balanced presentation to those politics and policies. Not everyone agrees with Obama so of course they are going to have a problem with him presenting his agenda to their children.

September 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  21. David Gergen

Hello everyone - On the President's speech to school children, it strikes me that the Obama administration did make a mistake in putting forward a lesson plan that would encourage children to write letters on ways they can help the President. Having been on the White House staff in the past, I know how easy it is to make a dumb mistake like that.

But that said, the President's political opponents are making much more of this than is deserved. To give a speech to the nation's school children is not some socialistic act; George W. Bush did it, for goodness sake. So, the White House made a minor mistake - big deal. We need to move on and deal with issues that really matter like health care reform, Afghanistan and the like. My two cents.

September 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Jenn

I am so sick and tired of listening to these " wing nuts" about their fears which are categorically baseless, to say the least– when it comes to President Obama. These people are disrespectful & degrading to all Americans. I watch from afar how these Americans are behaving and I am flabbergasted, I think the whole world is laughing at you guys, honestly.

After Bush this is the way you treat President Obama, really???? Especially when he is doing everything he can to help you guys. Folks in my country would give anything to have a president like President Obama, instead we have morons that have done nothing to help their people . No food stamps, no extension of unemployment benefits, no help with mortgages, no help for clunkers, NOTHING except bringing in a 12% tax increase on all goods and services.

September 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  23. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gady Mayen – Canada....
    They are talking about reward organ donors, cause someone who sold their donor to pay.......... Not right to sell donor.

September 4, 2009 at 10:48 pm |
  24. Jilly in South Carolina

I am amused to listen to the "elderly Republican" state they fear they will have to pay higher Medicare deductables and in the same breath state "I don't want government in my healthcare" News Flash, Medicare is run by the government.

Urgh....

September 4, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  25. Devna AC360°

@Sabrina Several individuals opt to donate organs to family members, et al. Perhaps a similar system nation-wide?

September 4, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Egg donation and sperm donation are not taking away from the functioning person....Organ donation takes a piece of you that you are currently using.

September 4, 2009 at 10:47 pm |
  27. Bruce

Selling a kidney is different from selling blood because blood is restored.

September 4, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  28. Stacy

@Jay: You're right about the opposition. Most recent polls show at least 50% support for the public option.

September 4, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Marianne

Not allowing the children to view the President's speech, what does that teach them? Here's the message it sends – don't listen to anyone you don't agree with and have no respect for their authority, regardless of who they are (considering the President holds the highest position of authority in our "great" nation). Oh yeah, perfect message.

September 4, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Mike, Syracuse, NY

@Dulcie, I just moved to MA which has mandatory health insurance. When I went to see a new doctor I was told it's a 6 month wait. When I expressed my shock, they told me it was due to the state health care law. That's what the whole country will be in for. Rationing will happen just due to supply and demand. This is about number not race.

September 4, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  31. LYNN

I agree we need to scream louder than the right wing and demand the schools show the speech as they have in the past or we will keep our kids home also... we need to demand respect for the President A few wanted prayer out of school it happened why do we always sit back and allow evil to take control WE need to take a stand and say no more...

September 4, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Linda-Portland, OR

most of the people showing up at town hall meetings last month who were so angry with the health care reform, already have health care such as Medicare......kind of ironic

September 4, 2009 at 10:46 pm |
  33. Will

This debacle about the speech and lesson plan is a travesty, as is with health care reform. I believe the underlying issue here is about the President, not the administration. This is American in the 21st century?? What a shame....

September 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  34. rebecca

i am absolutely MORTIFIED by those fires having been deemed arson. What is this world coming to?
    I do believe that once someone has murdered another, they have forfeited their right to live. However, I think that maybe the fact that she's dying of cancer is a reason to allow her probation. She won't go anywhere other than the grave if she's granted it, anyways.

September 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  35. Dodie - California

Very sad about the organ donors!

September 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Sabrina in Los Angeles

How would you make sure that the organ donated was good?

People would donate for the sake of getting something.

September 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Samuel M'boro, TN

My question is if someone gets a kidney off the black market how do they know the person they are getting it from has the same blood type as them? Aren't there supposed to be tests before a transplant is performed? Seems somewhat dangerous.

September 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm |
  38. Devna AC360°

Thanks for joining us this Friday evening! This organ harvesting story is fascinating – another great piece by Drew Griffin!

September 4, 2009 at 10:44 pm |
  39. Darryl-Florida

We are all worried about a health care bill, but we need to take to heed to what type of care we're getting. Hospital workers are burnt out. Lack of staffing etc. Ask a medical professional and they will tell you it's scary what's going on in there.

September 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  40. Dodie - California

@ Lori, IL

It is Not Obama. It is our Senators, who are supposed to be there for us.. and have been paid off by the insurance companies. If he does not get the Senate vote, the whole health care will go down in flames. I want to make the Senate votes public. I want to also find out how much the Senators are being paid off!!!

September 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  41. Mike, Syracuse, NY

Just wondering how selling a kidney is different than selling blood to a blood bank. It's a free choice and a victimless crime.

September 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  42. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

Sickening story regarding the organ harvesting. Some people I'll never fully understand...

September 4, 2009 at 10:43 pm |
  43. Caroline, Los Angeles

This is a terrible story about the kidney harvesting.

September 4, 2009 at 10:42 pm |
  44. Sabrina in Los Angeles

Very sick and very sad that they used poor people for their body parts.

How do they know that person is a match? Do they do any testing?

Yikes!

September 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  45. Renee

@ Gady: Drew Griffin is discussing the illegal kidney trade. Dollars for Donors. They targeted Arabic people in Northern Isreal. Real sad.

September 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  46. gail

The allowing of selling insurance across state lines is very complicated considering that laws in each state are different. Medical Malpratice accounts for 1% of healthcare costs. Look into states that have caps on their medical malpractice suits and not one of them have seen their insurance premiums go down. Not ONE. Both of these talking points are old and already be disproved and debunked.

September 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  47. Dodie - California

Insurance companies are (( for profit ))) not (( non profit )) need I say any more. for profit does Not belong with the sick and or dying!!!

September 4, 2009 at 10:41 pm |
  48. Dulcie - Denver

I'm disappointed that we may lose the public option which is so badly needed, but any reform at all is a win for our President.

It annoys me that most of the people who oppose reform are those who already have good insurance. I smell racism. These people are afraid that black and brown people will begin showing up at their clinic Shame on them!

September 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  49. Mike, Syracuse, NY

There has yet to be a single plan that shows how the books balance on heath care. With a nine trillion dollar deficit already projected, show us how this gets paid for.

September 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |
  50. Jay - Memphis TN

The President was elected in large part because he promised major health care reform. I don't think the opposition is as wide spread as the party of NO claims. Just because a few people have big mouths doesn't mean they speak for the majority.

September 4, 2009 at 10:40 pm |