September 4th, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/04/09

We have breaking developments in the mass killing in Georgia. One man is accused of killing eight people. He's also the one who called 911 pleading for help.  Plus, presidential lesson or pure propaganda? More uproar over Pres. Obama's speech to school children next week.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog • T1
  1. Dulcie - Denver

This uproar is totally partisan and disgusting. Listening to opposing views is a part of the learning process. I can't even count the number of times I had to listen to views I didn't agree with in the classroom. Not to mention that we got plenty of 'policy' talks in class in the late '60's and 70's.

This is totally ridiculous and it makes me very, very sad. Was the lesson plan poorly planned? Sure, but I've definitely heard worse. What is this country coming to that we are so intolerant of opposing views? This is just insane. 'Wingnut' as I read on the blog today. Give me a freaking break.

September 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Jen-Nebraska

People are afraid that Obama is going to use his back to school speech to push his agenda. I teach 3rd grade in the inner city. My students WILL be watching. It's important for them to hear about the importance of an education, especially coming from someone of his stature. I find it ironic that the president will be speaking to kids about the IMPORTANCE of education and parents will be keeping their kids home from school. This to me shows how much they value education themselves.

September 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Arshan, AZ

every president has addressed kids, and not one was attacked for doing so like Obama. let the kids go to school and take their own side. (or have them stay home and work at burger king)

September 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Tara

keep the faith and we that support the president of the United States and support our children should be just as vocal in shouting at the top of OUR lungs that this president of OUR United States, has the same rights as does pass presidents.

September 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Carol Gardiner

How can we expect our president and other officials representing the United States to be respected in other countries when we are encouraging our children to disrespect the President of the United States? I am very concerned and appalled that the GOP continues to encourage and promote these myths and false interpretations for the sake of dimishing the Democratic administration. .. Which BTW... takes some kind of gall considering the Republican admin drove us into the predicament we are in from 8 years of their admin. policies.

September 4, 2009 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Molly

The Republicans are so afraid that their children are going to be smart enough to judge for themselves, the content of Obama's speech, that they prefer to keep them at home to continue with their own prejudicial brainwashing. I have never been so ashamed to call myself an American (if that's what they truly believe they are).

September 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  7. Michelle

I wonder what the rest of the world sees when they watch news
    from America. This is just another dumbing down of the country.
    If people can create a controversy out of this, we will not be the
    leader of the world much longer because people are starting to
    think we are crazy and fearful of the world.

September 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  8. jane

How can this be America? How did we get so crazy, so stupid? I think these parents do not respect education or the office of our fairly elected President. They seem to be hell bent on wrecking this country.

September 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Michael

I think the speech will inspire the kids to do better and keep them in school. I honestly don’t see Obama talking about anything but education. The health reform have nothing to do with children’s education. I honestly think because he is African American people think he is telling us wrong things. People need to grow up and stop judging.

September 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Linda-Portland, OR

there are so many other things to get fired up about, the President giving a speech to our school children does not even make the long list for me......

@Renee..ty for the clarification;-)

September 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Unfortunately, "keeping kids from" learning and limiting their experiences will not build a country looking toward the next century. THIS klind of (conservative) behavior simply holds our society back–no wonder we are falling behind and will soon no longer be the leader of the free world. This childish behavior is just blatantly ignorant.

Conservative Republicans continue to be the party of "no." Nattering nebobs of negativity.

September 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Wayne

Watching from Canada......controversy over a speech to inspire the next generation, has your country gone crazy or is there just a large percentage of racists!!!

September 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  13. Richard Hulser

The President is the leader of our country. He should be heard by all, especially students. Conservatives ran on 'country first' yet they are acting like fascists. When Bush and Reagan talked to school kids, and talked politics, it was OK. What is so different? Stop derailing this country and be part of the solution, not the problem!

September 4, 2009 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Joseph

Why can't Pres. Obama speak to the kids? This is the ugly side of America. Stop the hate people, he is the president of the free world!

September 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  15. Cassandra

Please protect this president......After seeing these outlandish "town hall" health care meetings ( which was a shame and a true testament that racism is alive and kicking), and now these "out cries" of not viewing the president's speech, I'm afraid that these people are going to kill this man.......Please protect this man. This reminds me of the years of desegregation of schools. I was a school kid, and I remember how these same out cries and rallies were done to keep black children out of white schools. Then too, parents threatened to, and did take their children out of schools. This is a horrible memory, and I'm fearing for this man's life.

September 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  16. Kayla

I think it's absurd for parents to prevent their kids from attending school because of President Obama and the speech he will be giving. People do however have the right to keep their kids from attending school. Obviously, this is an issue of race and not a political disagreement.

September 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  17. Wayne

The content of the guide submitted by the White House only ask the kinds of questions that we would expect children to discuss after hearing from their president. Parents who have reacted in this divisive manner only reveal another manifestation of disrespect for authority. I have not seen any interviews of ordinary Black inner city parents.

September 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Paolo

Happy Friday everyone! This is supposed to be a school speech. Obama deserves to hear from students what should be done. This controversy can only show how much Republicans still have a louder microphone.

19. Kendra

I think it is a sad, sad time in America when the President of the United States causes such an uproar because he chooses to go and speak to children in school....something that past Presidents have also done. How is it that you can learn about Presidents in school, but you can't hear from the current one because your narrow minded parents fear that he has another agenda and would dare to impart this crazed agenda on their precious children? This is totally ludicrous to me. Even if you did not vote for him, he is still the President. What are you teaching your children about democracy if you keep them home from school because you fear the scary President. This is truly baffling and I dare not say what it leads me to infer.

20. Stacy

@Casey: These are probably some of the same people that screamed "un-American" anytime anyone questioned Bush.

21. Richard

Let them keep there kids from school if they want to..Enough already..whats the big deal! gezzz....The wise know what's going on here, Making a big deal out of nothing..whose playing politices here? Foolishness..Some people will never like and will always find fault in what Obama does just cause they don't like him...getting all emotional and stuff..whatever..don't watch it but shut up already!

22. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Erica

We'll all be waiting curious by the content of the speech on Monday.
    I think there will be no big deal .... after all this controversy!

23. Jacqueline, NY

Hi all! Happy Friday?!

I really don't see what the big deal is? Is not the President of the United States the President of its children and students, too?

24. susi learn

i cannot comprehend the fear that is being expressed by the conservative right.

one example of their protest of obama's proposed speech is the question, 'how does the president inspire you?'

isn't part of the role of our national leader to inspire?

i've heard people in my town say he's out to brainwash our youth or promote homosexuality.

how absurd. but if they ARE so concerned, why not read the speech before they start having coronaires.

for everything, there is a good reson and the real reason.

the 'good' reason is they don't want our president pushing his agenda down our children's throats.

i suspect the 'real' reason is sour grapes.

our president is intelligent. he is articulate. he is black.

get over it.

susi from tucson

25. starr, formerly known as vincent

@ Cassandra – i agree that there is an element of racism to this so-called debate.

Again, i truly don't understand what these parents beleive they are "protecting" their children from?

Brainwashing requires Daily exposure to the idea. A one hour speech Cannot "brain wash" anyone!

I wish the media would not give so much attention to these groups and their fears.

26. Kishore Reddipeta

Erica –

I am very surprised by the critics comments about Presidents speech to students. As a fellow citizen, I fully respect the constitutional right to speech, but at the same time I absolutely feel that people should stop viewing the Presidents every action through a political mirror.

He is our President, and we should understand and appreciate that he has nothing but good intentions in his attempt to reach out to the students.

Not everything should be about politics.

Thanks.

27. Kenneth R. Hieber

Astonished at the 'attitude' of the people about the Presidents speech – or should I say disgusted. I am PROUDLY a naturalized American (8/26/09) – everything I ever wanted in my life – but now that I see how my 'fellow Americans' disrespect OUR President, I am not too sure if I made the right choice becoming naturalized. Is it just ME (thinking so) or are most of the people making a noise about this situation just uneducated white trash? I am PROUDLY African – YOU (America) labeled US supreme racists when WE had only WHITE rulers . . . and you sanctioned US until we voted in a BLACK President – then you settled down . . . now YOU have a BLACK President and you cannot deal with it – GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AMERICA!!!!!! Mr. Obama is an exceptional man and if YOU don't want to listen to his speech – I WILL, PROUDLY!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Arshan, AZ

good evening everyone!

29. CAROLYN J

erica i am too. so i will watch and tell everyone i know to talk to their children and send them to school. GO "OBAMA"

30. Martina Ilstad

Hey Erica
    Nice to see you tonight,Honest i cannot believe that Anderson take the risk,going to Afganistan.he risk to get kidnapped,few month ago,i here him talking,that for him going to Afganistan its like suicid.
    Did he forget that,just for a storry?
    I hope everything will be well for him,and he will have a safe comeback

31. natalie, lebanon TN

The concern over the president speaking to the children is so strange. I don't understand why it is a bad thing. Telling kids to set a goal and stay in school, how can that be bad? I know the republicans say , well he is trying to push them into believing that socailized healthcare is ok and trying to push socailist agendas on them. Do you really think that kids care about healthcare and socalized government? When i was a kid there were 4 tv stations and if the pres came on to talk about healthcare it ruined your whole night. Because he was on every station. He is not going to do anything but encourage kids to do well in school. Yall need to get a life.

32. Helen

TGIF everyone 🙂

The controversy between the President and that school speech is beyond absurd. It's the loud crazy right wing ranting continuously against whatever the President does. I'm so sick of the Republicans and conservatives up roaring against everything he tries to do.Please get a hold of yourselves! When did writing letters to the President become a controversy? The crying parents are sickening to watch...why ARE they tearing up for? So it's now brainwashing the kids when the POTUS tells the kids to persevere and study well? I completely missed the point.

33. Michael

I think the speech will inspire the kids to do better and keep them in school. I honestly don't see Obama talking about anything but education. The health reform have nothing to do with children's education. I honestly think because he is African American he is telling us wrong things. People need to grow up and stop judging.

34. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Maybe more people will watch it now because of all the controversy

35. Ana

Honestly I think it comes down to his race. If it was Bush or Clinton people wouldn't be as upset. It's ridiculous he is our President!!! If I was still in high school I would be so motivated to hear him speak about education. We need a better education system with me being an education minor.

36. Linda Kelley

I am a school teacher and a parent. There is nothing wrong with the President giving a speech which might inspire students to stay in school and complete their education. The President is our leader who better to try and inspire our youth.

37. Deborah

This is such a dumb issue to me and just plain stupid.

38. Richard Brooklyn

I never thought this country was truly doomed until today.

Mothers on CNN are crying over Obama's speech to the children next week?

He is the President for 3 more years and if Obama loses the election to a Republican, the Democrats will make their treatment of Bush look like child's play. How can this go on for 3 more years?

When will this end?

39. David

Keeping kids home from school during President Obama's speech is forcing kids to pick a political side before they are even knowlegeable to do so...

40. Charlotte

i cannot believe this ridiculous uproar over President Obam's speech, what has happened to America?

41. Glen Shaffer

I can not believe what this country is doing to our leader. He is our President and did you ever think his heart might be true. This man HAS TO MAKE HISTORY!!! Only because he is Afircian American. I f he was a white man, none of this would be happening. We are going backwards and we are doing it to ourselves. I think evertbody should just shut thier mouth's and let the man do his work. He just might be a good man! Who are we to judge! Who throws the 1st stone's?

42. Dennis Martin Atlanta

Liberals should keep their kids home, if the school doesn't show Obama's speech.

September 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  43. lisa from Mn

What's silly about the anti Obama back to school speech is that the children aren't going to get brain washed by a short speech. I would think a good parent would allow their kids to listen to it and have a healthy conversation about it after school. Closed mindedness creates ignorance and obviously chaos.

September 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  44. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

James Carville is such a strong voice of reason. We need more like him.

September 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  45. Bertin Evina-Ze

You journalists can see clearly that conservatives cannot get over that Mr Obama is president. They want him to fail. It is clear.

September 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  46. Cindy Husted

I would like to know why we are only hearing about the outrage over Obama's speech! There are plenty of us that have something to say about the issue in support of it! These people that are objecting are the same ones that would have no problem letting George W. speak to our students when he could barely articulate a grammatically correct sentence. This whole issue is pathetic!!!

September 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  47. Luis

This is so silly. The President of The United States is the best person to talk about kids staying in school. Great idea. He should have a speach like this once a year.

September 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  48. Laura-Houston

I have heard supporters of this speech mention that previous presidents addressed the schools. While that is true, they did not force themselves in a narcissistic campaign that included follow up instructions that is 3 pages long. It is taking time, too, from reading, writing and arithmetic to do a group project to get kids minds into a collective.

September 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  49. Chris_Stl

Erica .... no body in the right state of mind within the administration could have anticipated this controversy.
    There are some absolute nuts out there in politics .... it is the responsibility of you guys in the media to call them out.

September 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm |
  50. Shari

I cannot believe the outrage of the right wing about the president speaking to students. He obviously understands the importance of a good education. Where is the respect of the presidency? I fear for this country with its lack of respect, compassion, and empathy. Remember, you can never take someone's education away from them.

September 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm |