September 3rd, 2009

Photo Gallery: Inside the Great Mausoleum

AC360°

Michael Jackson will be interred this evening inside the Great Mausoleum on the grounds of Forest Lawn cemetery in Glendale, California. The service will be private, but we'll have full coverage from outside the cemetery starting at 10 p.m. ET.

The massive mausoleum, which is normally open to tourists, was closed today in preparation for the funeral. A security guard blocking its entrance said it would reopen to the public on Friday.

Fans of Clark Gable, Carole Lombard and dozens of other celebrities buried on the grounds have flocked to Forest Lawn-Glendale for decades, but Jackson may outdraw them all. Security guards - aided by cameras - keep a constant vigil over the graves and crypts, which are surrounded by a world-class collection of art and architecture. It is still unclear whether or not tourists will be allowed to visit Jackson's resting place.

Check out these photos of the Great Mausoleum.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Michael Jackson
  1. Jean Perez

Michael will live in our hearts forever.
    God is truly amazing for sharing His beautiful creation such as Michael Jackson. He will finally be with the Father and be rested in peace.
    Michael does not deserve the pains he underwent thru false allegations on him.....he is an angel in disguise. R.I.P Michael

September 4, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  2. Allen, NY

Rest In Peace, You Are Home Now.

September 3, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  3. Pauline Ont Canada

Tears and pain again,

What a beautiful place for a beautiful soul, it is just a shame we won't be able to visit him.

Rest In Peace Michael, may the Creator hold you in his arms until the memories of this life have faded and your ready to be reborn.

September 3, 2009 at 6:20 pm |
  4. Allen, NY

Michael neither you nor any one may remember when you few into Philly, and Gambel and Preston drove you to the hotel and I seat in the room with you for about an hour. They needed to pick up your brothers from the airport for the concert that night. We didn’t talk much just the basic. Preston asked me to keep you company till they returned. I never had the opportunity to say thanks. Well with all the promoters and other artist all over the place. It was just cool being in the moment, I’ll miss you.
    Rest In Peace, You Are Home Now.

September 3, 2009 at 6:04 pm |
  5. C.O.L.4E1.L.I.F.E.

It seem like the right place to rest at, it's almost too perfect, the words that come to mind... "Breath taking"... " Beautiful"... "This is the Life", Mausoleums like this one is what retirement is all about, Resting In Peace. May the Lord's present be there.

September 3, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  6. Annie Kate

The Mausoleum and its collection of art is beautiful but the whole place seems kind of eerie with just the dead to inhabit the place. I'd rather see the art while I'm alive – afterwards a regular cemetery plot and a tree would satisfy me.

September 3, 2009 at 5:47 pm |
  7. alexandria

rest in peace michael.. i can believe he is finally being put to rest. he is going to be missed so much. i cannot believe he is gone. <3

September 3, 2009 at 5:43 pm |
  8. AMN

I love the teeny tiny mausoleums in the back. Is that for the people that couldn't pay for a big one?

September 3, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  9. Deana OBar

Beautiful resting place for the ultimate King of Pop. RIP Michael Jackson.

September 3, 2009 at 5:42 pm |
  10. Bennie

Micheal Jackson finally being laid t rest. Rest in peace Micheal and may the good Lord be with you. I hope you can finally have peace. You will always be in prayers Micheal.

September 3, 2009 at 5:36 pm |
  11. cheryl

I HAVE A QUESTION? WILL THOSE OF US THAT WOULD LIKE TO PAY OUR RESPECT'S AFTER HE IS BURIED,CAN WE LAY FLOWERS OR CARDS,TO SHOW OUR LOVE FOR MICHAEL JUST LIKE THEY DO FOR ELVIS AT GRACELAND????

September 3, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  12. Amber Lewis & Joe Lewis

REST IN PEACE MICHAEL

September 3, 2009 at 4:52 pm |
  13. Joanne Osinkowski Ontario Canada

Pretty Posh for a mausolium, Wether M.J. approves or not he has no consience of it or say. So let it go already!

September 3, 2009 at 4:46 pm |
  14. Roxann

I will miss Michael Jackson the best entertainer in the world.This is not good by this is see you in the gates of heaven
    God bless you michael.May you rest in peace and no you are with god now

September 3, 2009 at 4:45 pm |
  15. anna

its beautiful serene.rip michael.god bless all u gave n endured..now rest with our heavenly father n angels.

September 3, 2009 at 4:25 pm |
  16. Deborah J. Boyd

What a waste of money. Not just MJ but all of them. Modern version of the Pyramids. Maximum Ego trip.

September 3, 2009 at 4:17 pm |
  17. rosegarden

It looks too grandeur but so loneliness. I always doubt that this kind of resting place is what Michael wanted.

September 3, 2009 at 4:13 pm |
  18. Mary Jones

I have been a fan of the Jackson 5 and Michael since they first started singing...I have family in Gary that knew them growing up. My thoughts, prayers, and love goes out for Michael and his silent suffering with pain he knew no one could understand as I too suffer in this way. I feel the pain he must have been feeling for many years, a pain that nothing could ever really take away. I regret that his children lost their father at such a time in their lives when they truly need him most. Paris, Blanket, and Prince please know you had a wonderful talented father who was very sensitive to others needs and to the cries of the children mof the world. May God always watch over you and keep you safe in his arms. The place your father is being buried it is so beatiful and I beliveve he will have the peace he didn't have in life. Stay strong and keep your father close.

September 3, 2009 at 4:08 pm |
  19. Eva Collins

I dont' care how nice they make it look...I would rather be alive.

Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.

Eva Collins Palmdale ca

September 3, 2009 at 4:04 pm |
  20. Nikki

It is Horrific for the Jackson Family to wait over two months to lay Michael Jackson to Rest. Mr. Jackson has been an exploited forsaken Cash Cow in Life, now in Death. The Jackson Family should have laid Michael to rest immediately after his Funeral, and spent their Financial Resources on Lawyers and Investigators that may have been able to assist in bringing Charges of Murder against the person or persons responsible for Michael Jacksons Death. The Jackson Family is the worst Family in the World besides the Binladens. RIP MICHAEL WE LOVE YOU and we are sorry that no one cared enough about you to put you in Rehab and save your life, they just chose to ignore our addictions to stay on your Payroll.

September 3, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  21. Linda B., Ga

Anybody who didn't already know who else is buried at Forest Lawn, must've had their head in the sand all these years....It's not Like MJ is the "only" famous person who will be buried there.....

Can we now let this man RIP?

September 3, 2009 at 3:40 pm |
  22. Valerie

Looking at these pictures of the Great Mausoleulm, Michael Jackson is going to be interred in a beautiful place.

September 3, 2009 at 2:56 pm |
  23. Lara

Great! He is finally being put to rest. It is amazing his body has been kept around this long. RIP Michael!!

September 3, 2009 at 2:46 pm |
  24. GF, Los Angeles

Gorgeous yet creepy at the same time.

September 3, 2009 at 2:43 pm |