September 3rd, 2009

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 09/03/09

We have special coverage tonight of Michael Jackson's funeral. 70 days after his death the singer is finally being laid to rest. Family and friends are gathering at a cemetery in Glendale, California. We'll take you there.

Want to know what else we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar • Live Blog • T1
  1. Judy

As parents it is our job to teach our children to form their OWN opinions about what they hear. We can't control everything they are exposed to, but we can embrace teaching opportunities when they arise.

September 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Mike, New Jersey

It is regretable that MJ will not be laid to rest at Neverland but at least it does seem that this cemetary is a peaceful, private, and dignifying place. Rest in peace MJ! You will be greatly missed!

September 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  3. Viv from Atlanta

BRAVO ANDERSON COOPER!!!! You asked a STRAIGHT forward question to Jim Greer "Did you see the speech the president was going to give to the children in advance?" "..you are making accusations without no knowledge?" Again I say to you BRAVO, Sir!! I was sitting on the edge of my seat watching Jim Greer give a REPUBLICAN BS answer! Thanks for the clip of George W Bush "Speech" to the children in which noone Democratic or Republican made a BIG DEAL of!!! CONGRATULATION FOR SETTING IT STRAIGHT! This is total NON-SENSE!!!

September 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Isabel Siaba, Brazil

@ Anderson
    Great intervention!

September 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Nadine

Listening to all the parents up in arms about having the President speak this coming week is absurd! What I prefer is not remembering when school started and with the tv's on watching all of 9-11 happen before my eyes in my homeroom class. Will most of the kids even care what they saw? Schools are there for educating children, therefore there should be nothing wrong with the president speaking to our nations children.

September 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Cali MJ Fan

Parent governing issue my hiney! The Republicans are making a HUGE issue out of NOTHING. Ugh.

September 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Catherine

Eh I believe its proganda, thats as simple as im going to keep it.

September 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Vickie_AR

Mr. Greer should offer his services to the psychic friends network! He has no idea what the speech will contain.

September 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Kelly Swanson- Harrisburg, PA

Parents know everything that their kids are learning in school? I doubt that.

September 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Jesse Sioux Falls , SD

Greer keeps avoiding AC's questions.WOW! Good going Anderson!! It's heating up!

September 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Becky in Iowa

Oh my gosh he is dancing.. lol

September 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, I don't like what Bush said either, but two wrongs don't make a right. Please let the guest speak, some of us would like to hear him.

September 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Mary Miller

Re: Pres. Obama School Speech.
    I find it apalling that the Rep party has taken the stand of Their children should not hear Pres. speech or participate in writing to the President.

This is a So Petty. children have been writing to the President of the United States as long as we have had one. This Man is THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES one of the most powerfut men of the free world and as such demands RESPECT.

Not people trying to make a political statement by dragging their kids into this by telling them to DISRESPECT our President..

Mary,
    Cincinnati, Ohio

September 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  14. Marty

Thank you, Roland and Anderson – propaganda is never a one-way street – it just seems that way depending on any given viewpoint.

September 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    Yes! I do love my favorite different apples!!!! It is very healthy for people! Yay! I agree with both Anderson and Erica!!

September 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It is nothing wrong with the President of the United States of America to go to public and private schools across America to speaks to our children.

September 3, 2009 at 10:56 pm |
  17. Sarah

I had heard on a news report in the past couple of days that Jaycee and her girls are living in a hotel room. Anybody have any clue as far as why?

September 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Beth

Michael Jackson's music, dance and efforts to save the world will never be forgotten. May he finallly rest in peace.

September 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  19. Joe Terrogano

We need people like Greer to filter what the President of the United States has to say? Paranoia knows no bounds. These are the type of people that want to restrict our freedom of speech but yelling at town halls, spreading false rumors, and trying to squelch anyone they disagree with. This is your basic neocon. My way or no way. Not in my lifetime.

September 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  20. james

What a terrible campagin these Republicans have raged against President Obama.

AC – Thank you for showing President Bush talking to school children and asking Mr. Greer why he didn't object to his remarks. What a sick country we have become. I used to be a Republican, but after watching the unfair attacks and listening to people like Ann Coulter, I no am affiliated with the Republican party.

September 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  21. Luc, CA

A Presidential speech to children is propaganda? How desperate are the Republicans in Florida, anyway? When was the last time a sitting President of the US addressed children? After 8 years of no news to ALL propaganda from a Bush administration, I'll take Obama's "propaganda" any day! By the way, shame on the Florida Republican Chair for dissing our President in front of our children.

September 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  22. John Ray

Why is the Florida govenor saying the things he saying and not providing the facts. If memory serves, wasn't the president prior to President Obama, that being President George Bush, talking to the kids on September 11, 2001 at a school.

I sure am seeing a lot of racism going on here, and I am not black.

September 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  23. David, Indiana

Two such delicious apples, honeycrisp and sweet tango, from Minnesota, didn't know they grew them like that up there.

September 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  24. Aron

Hey Anderson, is he gonna be buried tonight? In Jamaica persons cannot be buried after 6pm. Loving the program as usual.

Jamaica

September 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  25. Henrika Jean-Louis

Finally Micheal gets to rest in peace 70 days wow ..

September 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  26. Cali MJ Fan

Thank you so much Anderson for sticking to the question– and getting the answer from Greer. Roland- GREAT comments!

Did anyone say a word when G.W. asked the children to donate money to the children in Afghanistan? I think not!

September 3, 2009 at 10:55 pm |
  27. Diane

Glad to see Lisa Marie and Elizabeth Taylor there.

September 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  28. starr, formerly known as vincent

This situation with the President speaking with children is INSANE!

As Roland said, this is politics pure and simple!!

I am so offended by this action (which appears to be from the right), i don't have words (at least ones that would be acceptable on the blog).

I agree with Rolan– People opposed to the President speaking to their children nedd to Grow Up!!

Excellent example by Pres. Bush – you go Anderson!

September 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  29. Jasmine - Spokane, WA (Spokandyland)

hey peoples....

first rule about schools and politics. They mix. When the inauguration was going on, class completely stopped even though I had teachers who were completely Conservative, it's a nice way to have an actual discussion.

That's high school, elementary schools are different but what's the harm telling children to do their work and be a benefit to their family?

September 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  30. Mike, New Jersey

The idea that the President's televised speech is "propaganda" is one of the most rediculous and paranoid claims that I have ever heard! Many presidents has given televised messages to schools. This is nothing more than another paranoid dillusion by an increasingly desperate, paranoid and potentially racist lunatic fringe of the right wing. Get real!

September 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  31. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Propaganda? These people are really off the deep end. Imagine being so un-American that you would keep your child from watching the President in a special address TO children. Ridiculous. Fanatical. These Republicans are simply disrespectful and this smacks of nothing less than a Republican lesson plan of teaching hatred and bigotry.

September 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm |
  32. Hesaan75

I think Michael Jackson is A legend and should always be portrayed To our young children because of all the amazing things he did. R.I.P. Michael Jackson. Your memory will live on forever. <3

September 3, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  33. Jesse Sioux Falls , SD

Honeycrisp are so good!!! So good!! This new apple sound like is going to top it, we'll see.

September 3, 2009 at 10:53 pm |
  34. Sheralyn

Andy why has CNN NOT found out what the speech is about? What is ridiculous Roland, is the breadth of advertisement about the upcoming speech and the lack of details about it. Get real people.

September 3, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  35. Barbara, Long Island NY

I like Washington Red Apples

September 3, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  36. simin

Of course we all need to encourage our children to write letter to the President.
    But I think when the “White House” sends “the lesson plans” to schools and “ask” the school children to write to the President, then the whole things start to look like pushing a political agenda. That is considering that at this age, children are in to school to study and to acquire basic skills. Moreover, the school age children are not yet ready for political messages. And I believe that is why many parents are concerned about “propaganda and programming, and indoctrination,” of the children. Besides, I suppose most people cannot forget the way socialism developed root in the socialist countries: It all started in the schools.

September 3, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  37. Catherine

Jaycee has certaintly endured alot.

September 3, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  38. Mike, Syracuse, NY

This whole speech to children to 'sell' his policies is totally unacceptable.

September 3, 2009 at 10:52 pm |
  39. Vickie_AR

What is this guy talking about. The lesson plans are only suggestions. Where does it say they must be adhered to? More importantly the webcast is OP-TION-AL. If you don't want your kid to hear it, opt out. geez.....

September 3, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  40. Chris Sosa - Boston, MA

@Anderson – Thank you for challenging the ridiculous statements regarding what Obama is supposedly going to say. The speculation is childish and unfounded.

September 3, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  41. ericacnn

i'm a pink lady apple devotee

September 3, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  42. CEP

Jim Greer doesn't deserve your air time. Why are you giving this coverage????

September 3, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  43. Samuel M'boro, TN

Uh oh. Anderson holding a politician's feet to the fire. Go get 'em!

September 3, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Gady Mayen – Canada.....
    Yes, I think so.... not same as regular flu somewhere in U.S. not often at all, Most cases are required to get swine flu shot, please talk your doctor, what they are talking pre-caution.

September 3, 2009 at 10:51 pm |
  45. Sabrina in Los Angeles

I like the school message that the President is going to give.

They need to get into the way our system runs.

We have always had clips from 60 minutes, Channel 1 and other historic clips that presidents have said...even just a few days/weeks ago.

September 3, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  46. Nate

Anderson, I think that it is appalling how all of these republican “citizens” are disrespecting the President of the United States. Every chance they get they make up some excuse to undermine President Obama’s authority. They disguise these bigotries as “being fair”. As much as most democrats despised President Bush, I never say this type of un-American intolerance. It’s plain disgusting and sad.

September 3, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  47. Jesse Sioux Falls , SD

Humm, not to sure this addressing kids is good. I mean when I was in school, I would have been like, well big deal, is it lunch time yet. Hahaha.

This guy is avoiding AC's question about the speach.

September 3, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  48. Barbara, Long Island NY

God Bless JayCee & her girls

September 3, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  49. Delmarshay in Atlanta

Hi Anderson love you,

I appreciate all of the coverage that you and CNN have done and I just want to say that Michael Jackson is truly missed and God bless his family.

R.I.P. King!

September 3, 2009 at 10:50 pm |
  50. Catherine

Im not sure what obama is trying to do...

September 3, 2009 at 10:49 pm |